Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Erm...
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 26, 2010 15:33

People of IORR
do you think they will tour next year?
I'm sure it will be their last farewell tour!
but I don't know if they should... Keith can't play of course.
do you think Mick Taylor will join them?
oh, he'll get large applause!
and what about Bill? he is a true Rolling Stone!
no, I don't know. the Stones don't care for their fans!
Mick only wants money.
I can give you many reasons why the Stones will (not) stop rolling!

I'm fed up.
every thread is the same, people asking stupid questions 1000 times.
it's even worse than Taylor vs Wood and "setlists"-threads.

you want the answer? WE DON'T KNOW.
nothing against colonial for example, no offence or bad feelings, but I wonder how many threads did he make about those things.

I've seen the Stones live only once and can't wait for them to play JJF just one more time.
but I wait patiently and have fun listening to their previous works.
I don't say if Keith can or can't play just because I'm not Keith. many of you experts know better, but I'm kinda sorry for you ;^)

chill out. I just had to make my own thread because no matter which one I read it's about the same thing... so, something to relax:

Re: Erm...
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 26, 2010 16:17

Amused...Those threads ya shown above..how many threads ive done of them..I dont know..probably one or two.......hmm does it really matter..smoking smiley..?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2010 16:22

The best threads combine the two and discuss whether or not Taylor and Wyman will rejoin for the Farewell Tour.

Be grateful for the buzz, without it there are threads about whether or not Mick wears a wig.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2010 20:30

What really irritates me, is people that complain about the content on the message board at IORR and then offer nothing interesting or coherent.

It's your board too Amused, you shouldn't have to rely on anyone else to make the posts interesting.

If you think IORR's board is missing something, POST SOMETHING interesting and quit complaining AND don't single out people (colonial) for rant.

Poor form on your part.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 26, 2010 20:44

Exactly, sure some of the threads duplicate thingsand some are mindless (mine included) but these are lean times for Stones fans so things just keep ticking over. As treaclefingers points out, don't come on here and moan and whinge if oyu haven't got anything to post yourself, by doing what you have done, you have contributed bugger all to the board.

THe mick Taylor / ROn wood thing has become a bit of joke...roll with it.

ONce the Stones announce something this place will lift off, until then ....

let's consider, what are the stones' favourite meals!

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 26, 2010 20:53

?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 23:14 by dancingmisterd.

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: July 26, 2010 22:05

But Amused, do YOU think they'll tour again? Do you think Bill will be there?
You didn't answer your questions.

Ha

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 26, 2010 22:08

grinning smiley
yeah, hope so like everybody else, with guests or without.
I know I'll be there!

Date: July 26, 2010 22:54

treaclefingers and crumbling mice...Now I know how mitchflorida must feel to be singled out like that...eye rolling smiley....? Its nothing worse than someone who takes life to serious especially a Stones fan...Rrr.. well never mind..im off to work..cheers

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2010 23:06

Not the same, Colonial. MitchFlorida thrives on the attention.

Date: July 27, 2010 01:50

colonial
treaclefingers and crumbling mice...Now I know how mitchflorida must feel to be singled out like that...eye rolling smiley....? Its nothing worse than someone who takes life to serious especially a Stones fan...Rrr.. well never mind..im off to work..cheers

I for one, am not 'amused'!

bar har har har!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2010 02:18

I don't find the Taylor/Wood threads that bad because at least they are about the Stones' music. I personally can't understand all the threads about ACDC and other things not even remotely related to the Stones or their music (ok, the Stones are rock & roll, ACDC are rock & roll, therefore we are supposed to care about ACDC. Huh?)

The other one I find a bit tiresome is the "we need a tour" thread, which seems to pop up every couple of weeks. At least that's about the Stones though.

Things really got hopping here when PMS came out, then the Exile reissue and DVD. Now there's a lull, so I understand the frustration and boredom some people have expressed.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 27, 2010 07:09

OMG is Mick Jagger really going to wear Mick Taylor's wig on tour?? what about Woody!?!?

(hee hee?)

- swiss

Date: July 27, 2010 07:42

swiss
OMG is Mick Jagger really going to wear Mick Taylor's wig on tour?? what about Woody!?!?

(hee hee?)

- swiss

You crack me up, Swiss.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 27, 2010 09:57

71Tele
swiss

(hee hee?)

- swiss

You crack me up, Swiss.

Tele, the west coast climate, sun, and vibe hath made me giddy - it's so awesome out here!

swiss

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 27, 2010 10:19

We all wish we lived in a perfect world where every thread was of incredible interest to us. But that ain't happening unfortunately. I get tired of a lot of the cliches on here that people always put up as a rebuttal to anyone who complains.

Such gems as "If you don't like it, then don't read it". This is fine advice, but we all know that is often easier said then done, especially when a thread stays at the top for several days and/or hits multiple pages. I don't know how many times I've caved myself and finally thought f-uck it, I've got to look even though I know it's going to bug me. I'm rarely disappointed. Plus, sometimes the thread titles are misleading, you think it's something you'll find interesting but it's not.

Or the classic "Your a child/get off your Mom's computer/it sucks when kids post/go to bed/whatever other variants.

The above has a faithful companion, which usually involves "What are you, a virgin/living in your Mom's basement/can't get a woman/go put your efforts into getting a woman, oh wait, you can't find one/and all it's other variants. What does being a virgin and living in your Mom's basement have to do with having an opinion? Why are we, as adults, still resorting to the thought that being a virgin somehow negates anything you say or do as being valid? And how does having an unpopular or stupid opinion somehow mean you must be a virgin, we suddenly become well-educated and thoughtful once we get laid? What are we, 12 years old still? I may think mitchflorida is a class-A douche, but I don't think he's a virgin.

"If you don't think the topics are interesting, come up with your own". Again, a sound and valid suggestion, but not everyone can do it. Some people need something to provoke and draw out their opinions and creative thoughts. Some people like to just read and contribute, and not start or lead a discussion. I've personally never started a thread, I just don't have the desire, can't think of anything worthwhile just for the sake of doing so, and have never had a question I couldn't quickly find the answer to elsewhere. I like to contribute, I'm not much of a starter-upper. Just because you can't come up with anything better doesn't mean you don't have the right to be annoyed by the same old things being posted over and over.

There are others, including the ever-popular usage of "Trolls", but whatever.

As far as thread topics outside the Stones go, I rarely have a problem with anything that's music related and properly marked OT. But, there are a couple things I think have no place on here, OT or not, and BV's guidelines seem to jive with me.

I can't stand anything sports related. I'm a guy, but I just don't dig sports, I think they are boring, especially to watch. Athletes today are just the worst people, at least the ones that get all the attention are. I have a passing interest in a couple of teams due to my father's influence, and I like to watch a little golf, especially if Tiger Woods is losing, but otherwise, I could give a rat's ass about sports, and I can't see what place they have here. And it's not because I suck at them either. I was fair at most sports when I was young, I was just never that into them. The competition always brought out the dickhead in everyone too quickly for my tastes.

But my all-time least favorite is the "My family member/friend/pet/whatever just died". Why do we need to know this, and why do people feel the need to share this so publicly? I understand it may help, but often it feels like fishing for sympathy, and the replies are so routine and cliched. I've had people close to me die. In 2006 a good friend that I had lost touch with hung himself with an extension cord, from a tree in his front yard, so his girlfriend would see him first thing when she got home. He was in a lot of pain and very messed up. I was heartbroken that he had gotten to the point that he felt the need to take his own life. I thought if we'd stayed in touch, maybe I could have made a difference and he'd still be here.

I only tell this though to show that I've had f-@#$%& up shit happen too, and the last place I feel I should talk about it, outside of this example, would be on a forum like this. I understand that people really feel like part of a community here, but a lot of us don't and aren't. We just want to read and talk about music, preferably Stones related, and don't take our internet ramblings that far. If your that close to certain members, get their contact info and deal with your crap in private. I know, I know, I don't have to read it, but I can't avoid the headline, and that in itself is a downer that I don't need when I come on here.

And the ones about pets are the worse. I have a cat that I love dearly, when she goes, or if anything were to happen to her, I'll be crushed, as much so as if I lost a family member or friend. So I get it, ok. But when she does move on, I'm not going to come on here and post a bunch gay pictures of her, along with the sob story of what happened. It's tacky and it ain't relevant to this board.

Also, anything by mitchflorida, that guy's just a prick.

Having said all this, I believe people have the right to talk about whatever they want on here, and if you don't like it, you should just suck it up and deal with it. Since we lack moderators, which I think is a good thing since this place is cliquey enough as it is, it's up to BV to decide what stays and what goes.

I just wish he'd look around more often and get rid of some of the things that aren't really relevant.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2010 10:26

1969 was a good year for doin' the boogie .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 27, 2010 13:30

71Tele
I don't find the Taylor/Wood threads that bad because at least they are about the Stones' music. I personally can't understand all the threads about ACDC and other things not even remotely related to the Stones or their music (ok, the Stones are rock & roll, ACDC are rock & roll, therefore we are supposed to care about ACDC. Huh?)

The other one I find a bit tiresome is the "we need a tour" thread, which seems to pop up every couple of weeks. At least that's about the Stones though.

Things really got hopping here when PMS came out, then the Exile reissue and DVD. Now there's a lull, so I understand the frustration and boredom some people have expressed.

71Tele I agree with you on all your points except one! I must respectfully disagree with your uncertainty regarding AC/DC. They rock. Let me demonstrate with reference to your own argument:
"the Stones are rock & roll" Yes.
"ACDC are rock'n'roll" Yes.
"therefore we are supposed to care about ACDC" Yes.
"Huh?" This bit is wrong.

smiling smiley

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 27, 2010 14:46

I care about AC/DC only in the context of electricity. The band is crap.

Date: July 27, 2010 16:44

bustedtrousers
We all wish we lived in a perfect world where every thread was of incredible interest to us. But that ain't happening unfortunately. I get tired of a lot of the cliches on here that people always put up as a rebuttal to anyone who complains.

Such gems as "If you don't like it, then don't read it". This is fine advice, but we all know that is often easier said then done, especially when a thread stays at the top for several days and/or hits multiple pages. I don't know how many times I've caved myself and finally thought f-uck it, I've got to look even though I know it's going to bug me. I'm rarely disappointed. Plus, sometimes the thread titles are misleading, you think it's something you'll find interesting but it's not.

Or the classic "Your a child/get off your Mom's computer/it sucks when kids post/go to bed/whatever other variants.

The above has a faithful companion, which usually involves "What are you, a virgin/living in your Mom's basement/can't get a woman/go put your efforts into getting a woman, oh wait, you can't find one/and all it's other variants. What does being a virgin and living in your Mom's basement have to do with having an opinion? Why are we, as adults, still resorting to the thought that being a virgin somehow negates anything you say or do as being valid? And how does having an unpopular or stupid opinion somehow mean you must be a virgin, we suddenly become well-educated and thoughtful once we get laid? What are we, 12 years old still? I may think mitchflorida is a class-A douche, but I don't think he's a virgin.

"If you don't think the topics are interesting, come up with your own". Again, a sound and valid suggestion, but not everyone can do it. Some people need something to provoke and draw out their opinions and creative thoughts. Some people like to just read and contribute, and not start or lead a discussion. I've personally never started a thread, I just don't have the desire, can't think of anything worthwhile just for the sake of doing so, and have never had a question I couldn't quickly find the answer to elsewhere. I like to contribute, I'm not much of a starter-upper. Just because you can't come up with anything better doesn't mean you don't have the right to be annoyed by the same old things being posted over and over.

As far as thread topics outside the Stones go, I rarely have a problem with anything that's music related and properly marked OT. But, there are a couple things I think have no place on here, OT or not, and BV's guidelines seem to jive with me.

I can't stand anything sports related. I'm a guy, but I just don't dig sports, I think they are boring, especially to watch. Athletes today are just the worst people, at least the ones that get all the attention are. I have a passing interest in a couple of teams due to my father's influence, and I like to watch a little golf, especially if Tiger Woods is losing, but otherwise, I could give a rat's ass about sports, and I can't see what place they have here. And it's not because I suck at them either. I was fair at most sports when I was young, I was just never that into them. The competition always brought out the dickhead in everyone too quickly for my tastes.

But my all-time least favorite is the "My family member/friend/pet/whatever just died". Why do we need to know this, and why do people feel the need to share this so publicly? I understand it may help, but often it feels like fishing for sympathy, and the replies are so routine and cliched. I've had people close to me die. In 2006 a good friend that I had lost touch with hung himself with an extension cord, from a tree in his front yard, so his girlfriend would see him first thing when she got home. He was in a lot of pain and very messed up. I was heartbroken that he had gotten to the point that he felt the need to take his own life. I thought if we'd stayed in touch, maybe I could have made a difference and he'd still be here.

I only tell this though to show that I've had f-@#$%& up shit happen too, and the last place I feel I should talk about it, outside of this example, would be on a forum like this. I understand that people really feel like part of a community here, but a lot of us don't and aren't. We just want to read and talk about music, preferably Stones related, and don't take our internet ramblings that far. If your that close to certain members, get their contact info and deal with your crap in private. I know, I know, I don't have to read it, but I can't avoid the headline, and that in itself is a downer that I don't need when I come on here.

And the ones about pets are the worse. I have a cat that I love dearly, when she goes, or if anything were to happen to her, I'll be crushed, as much so as if I lost a family member or friend. So I get it, ok. But when she does move on, I'm not going to come on here and post a bunch gay pictures of her, along with the sob story of what happened. It's tacky and it ain't relevant to this board.

Having said all this, I believe people have the right to talk about whatever they want on here, and if you don't like it, you should just suck it up and deal with it. Since we lack moderators, which I think is a good thing since this place is cliquey enough as it is, it's up to BV to decide what stays and what goes.

I just wish he'd look around more often and get rid of some of the things that aren't really relevant.

Erm...nice to have gotten that off your chest I'll bet.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 27, 2010 16:52

setlists - garbage
drinking threads - i dont bother to read but one every now and then is ok for a laugh i guess
mt versus rw - always interesting but recently it has gone a bit overboard
Ron/Mick's wig - amusing
Guitar questions - interesting
Photo threads - great
setlists - garbage
setlists - garbage
will the stones tour again - even more garbage

oh...i wish the good lord would shine a light on me....

Date: July 27, 2010 17:09

Eleanor Rigby
setlists - garbage
drinking threads - i dont bother to read but one every now and then is ok for a laugh i guess
mt versus rw - always interesting but recently it has gone a bit overboard
Ron/Mick's wig - amusing
Guitar questions - interesting
Photo threads - great
setlists - garbage
setlists - garbage
will the stones tour again - even more garbage

oh...i wish the good lord would shine a light on me....
Eleanor Rigby..yea all this silly talk about...wigs and hair just when ya thought you had seen the last of them ..now the latest one is Does anybody here dye his hair..confused smiley.?

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 27, 2010 17:10

?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 23:14 by dancingmisterd.

Date: July 27, 2010 17:33

bolexman
71Tele

71Tele I agree with you on all your points except one! I must respectfully disagree with your uncertainty regarding AC/DC. They rock. Let me demonstrate with reference to your own argument:
"the Stones are rock & roll" Yes.
"ACDC are rock'n'roll" Yes.
"therefore we are supposed to care about ACDC" Yes.
"Huh?" This bit is wrong.

smiling smiley

ok. Always happy to have someone respectfully disagree. Cheers.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 27, 2010 19:40

bustedtrousers

Long post but an interested one indeed .
My English doesn't allow me to go further but YES,I think I know what you mean.
25 answers on Ronnnie's wig but none on what I call STONES STUFF.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 27, 2010 23:18

There is plenty of room for threads of any nature really, and by having a thread about threads I think we have further violated the boring threads rule...if ever there wasa set of rules.

I have a great idea for a new thread...post photos of fruit and vegetables that look like members of the stones

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 28, 2010 09:36

treaclefingers
bustedtrousers

Erm...nice to have gotten that off your chest I'll bet.

Haha! Not really. I know it may come off as an angry rant, but I really didn't feel that way while writing it.

And thanks for the Jazz Amused, I really like that song thumbs up.

Date: July 28, 2010 16:25

Your post was great to read bustedtrousers, thank you for writing it! People are too cautious to express an opinion sometimes. Yours was great, there were things in it to agree with, and things to disagree with... The loss of your old friend sounds very sad, I'm sorry to hear about it. You say you would rather not read posts about personal loss, but please indulge me this story as a reply to yours, I think you'll find it interesting. Once many years ago, I was listening to Sticky Fingers and it finished with the beautiful closing "Moonlight Mile". Whilst listening to the song I was reminded of a close friend and something he had said. Suddenly the phone rang, and it was his uncle calling to say the young man had died in a tragic accident. It was heavy. But my reason for thinking of him whilst listening to the album hadn't been for cosmic reasons or anything deep like that- he had recently made a memorable filthy joke about sticky fingers. So you learn to take the serious with the trivial (or humourous) , and appreciate both for what they are. When I listen to Sticky Fingers these days it is still with a smile.

BTW crumbling_mice's idea sounds like a winner too. re: vegetable lookalikes smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:37

Isn't it the case that pages like these are pretty much the on line equivalent of your local pub ? [shame there's no ale on tap]

There aren't [usually] rules in your local about what you talk about... and you don't talk to everybody who drinks there.

You drink there because you generally like the vibe and find enough like minded folk to provide interesting conversation.

There might well be a bunch of folks in the corner talking about wigs...but is this really a problem ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 16:38 by Spud.

Date: July 28, 2010 16:44

Great analogy Spud. I think you have nailed it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home