Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Talk about posing for the camera...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:48

This is cool footage of Keith playing a perfect solo for Time Is On My Side. Notice how Keith grooves to the music, moves about on stage fluidly, sways to the beat, and generally looks like a rock god. I personally like to see this kind of thing at a concert, as it adds to the drama and excitement. Some might call it posing or posturing but to me it is part of the Stones stage act. I want to see more of this so called posing at the next concert, not less. The Stones have always been a Vegas act and I hope it never stops.

Re: Talk about posing for the camera...
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:52

"The Stones have always been a Vegas act"

Not true. Maybe after Mick Taylor left the group and they went with the Stadium concerts. The Mick Taylor era was straight ahead rock and roll, and no playing games.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 14, 2010 23:04

Mitch,

That is not exactly true. Did you ever see Rock and Roll Circus? Mick is wearing flamboyant clothing and there are circus animals involved in the act. Mick used to wear lemon colored tights. If that is not Vegas, what is a Vegas act?

I often ask myself this: if the Stones had had the opportunity to put on a magnificent show as they did with Forty Licks and A Bigger Bang (moving stage, back up singers, and pyrotechnics) in the seventies, would they have done so (assuming the technology were availabe in the seventies). The answer is a definite YES!!! The Stones are and have always been a Vegas act. That is one of the reasons I like them so much. I don't want to see four stick figures on stage with no personality.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: July 14, 2010 23:17

"Did you ever see Rock and Roll Circus?"

Don't make the mistake of trying to compare a TV show with an actual live concert...Also, they had a "moving stage", "back up singers", brightly colored costumes, and plenty of theatrics way back in 1975...

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 14, 2010 23:17

Rock and Roll Circus was a disaster from start to finish and Mick and Keith refused to release for many decades.

During the Brian Jones-era concerts, there was very little showmanship except for some fun dance steps that Mick Jagger would do.

During the Mick Taylor-era, Jagger would wear some rather outlandish outfits, and throw some confetti or water around the stage, but not much else. During Midnight Rambler, he would take off his belt and hit the stage floor with it, pretending he was sneaking into a bedroom window.

The Ron Wood-era involves a lot of mugging for the camera, stagecraft, baloons, smoke and mirrors, etc. The venues are much bigger now so you need that to wow the audience and justify the high ticket prices.

So the notion that the Rolling Stones were "always" Vegas is ridiculous. They have been moving in that direction though.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:11

it was about so-called-by-you "posing" back in the 60s, but maybe it was so natural and fun that you may not notice. winking smiley they were just having fun their way. and let them do it so right now!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:14

That Time Is On My Side has some remarkably similar if not exact same things going on in it - in some places - as the version on Still Life.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:17

posing? wouldn't vouging be a better word?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:46

We all know the photographers are on for one song or so only at the beginning of the concerts. Then Mick and Keith are exceptionally mobile, going to both sides, front stage, doing their famous poses. Even Ronnie at times. Sure they like camera attention. They do know it will be in the papers next morning!

Bjornulf

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 15, 2010 11:50

bv
They do know it will be in the papers next morning!

and a newspaper photographer who doesn't get shots of those "classic Stones poses" could lose his/her job!
the Stones are just giving 'em what they need ... as usual :E

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home