Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Billy Preston's That's The Way God Planned It
Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: August 10, 2009 05:40

Listening to Keith's bass playing on Everything's All Right. Sounds very much like Paul McCartney. Good stuff. Anyone else into this album?

Re: Billy Preston's That's The Way God Planned It
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 10, 2009 08:44

It's possible that it's not Keith, but Klaus Voorman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 10, 2009 10:35

I do think it is Klaus Voorman.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 11, 2009 01:17

He of badfinger fame.

"...we nearly forgot Klaus Voorman!"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 11, 2009 02:04

Great song.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 11, 2009 04:56

>He of badfinger fame

? Voorman was not a member of Badfinger.

Date: August 11, 2009 05:05

I think Barn Owl is thinking of Manfred Man.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 11, 2009 05:06

A terrific album and song no matter who's playing bass.

Date: August 11, 2009 05:34

Wikipedia lists the personnel for the album as this:
* Billy Preston: keyboards, Piano, Vocals
* George Harrison: Guitars
* Eric Clapton: Guitars
* Keith Richards: Bass guitar
* Ginger Baker: drums
* Doris Troy: Backing vocals

Is it possible that Wikipedia is completely wrong?!? Except for Preston, of course.

Date: August 11, 2009 06:04

Ah, cool to see who played on it! To my ears it really sounded like Voorman. He was of course best pals with The Beatles from the Hamburg days. He was also a member of Manferd Mann, not Badfinger. He drew the cover of Revolver, and won a grammy for it. And he also drew the covers for the Anthology series. He was very close friends with Lennon and he plays on John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Ringo, Concerts for Bangladesh, and a lot of other Live Peace in Toronto. Great player!

Preston is also incredible on The Concerts for Bangladesh, which is the quote Barn Owel is alluding of George Harrison introducing the band to, but it is...."we've forgotten Billy Preston!"
IF you are a fan of The Beatles, Preston and just good music. Get The Concerts for Bangladesh. It is fantastic and the new DVD is as an incredible mix! It is loud and full of warmth and nuanced layers. You can finally hear all the accoustic guitars from Bandfinger. Great job with the remaster on that one! Some cool bonuses too! Come into My Kitchen, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, and If Not For You. Great! Dylan is incredible on this, his voice is beautiful and full of passion.

Date: August 11, 2009 13:20

@#$%&
I think Barn Owl is thinking of Manfred Man.

Manfred Man, that was it!

...thanks, izzy!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:31

>> Is it possible that Wikipedia is completely wrong?!? <<

sure it's possible! anything's possible on wikipedia.
nzentgraf has the same lineup, though - and for two numbers:

1969 5th and 6th May: BILLY PRESTON. London, Trident Studio. Producer: George Harrison.
- Do What You Want (Billy Preston)
- That's the Way God Planned It Pt. 1 & 2 (Billy Preston)
- That's the Way God Planned It (Alternate Version)(Billy Preston)
Line-up: KR (bass)/Billy Preston (voc, keyb)/Eric Clapton (gtr)/George Harrison (gtr)/Ginger Baker (dr)/Doris Troy (bvoc)
Note: The alternate version was released in 1991, as bonus track on the CD release
of Billy Preston's 'That's The Way God Planned It' album (EMI Records CDP 7975802).

for you Voorman connoisseurs: does it sound like Voorman on Do Want You Want as well?

Date: August 11, 2009 13:32

whitem8
Ah, cool to see who played on it! To my ears it really sounded like Voorman. He was of course best pals with The Beatles from the Hamburg days. He was also a member of Manferd Mann, not Badfinger. He drew the cover of Revolver, and won a grammy for it. And he also drew the covers for the Anthology series. He was very close friends with Lennon and he plays on John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Ringo, Concerts for Bangladesh, and a lot of other Live Peace in Toronto. Great player!

Preston is also incredible on The Concerts for Bangladesh, which is the quote Barn Owel is alluding of George Harrison introducing the band to, but it is...."we've forgotten Billy Preston!"
IF you are a fan of The Beatles, Preston and just good music. Get The Concerts for Bangladesh. It is fantastic and the new DVD is as an incredible mix! It is loud and full of warmth and nuanced layers. You can finally hear all the accoustic guitars from Bandfinger. Great job with the remaster on that one! Some cool bonuses too! Come into My Kitchen, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, and If Not For You. Great! Dylan is incredible on this, his voice is beautiful and full of passion.

Great to hear such warm praise for Billy Preston.

I know it's too easy perhaps for IORReans to regard him as little more than an annoying interlude during the 75/76 gigs, overlooking the fact that his overall contribution to the Stones and the Beatles (amongst others) has been immense.

I'll have to dig the Bangladesh DVD out and give it a play later on so I can hear the immortal Harrison line, “We’ve forgotten Billy Preston!”.

Didn’t George have trouble remembering Klaus Voorman as well?

Date: August 11, 2009 14:04

Billy was an amazing talent! And very underrated, but not by his peers. He was the only musician ever listed along with The Beatles on a record. The single The Beatles Get Back with Billy Preston. He probably single handedly saved the Let it Be sessions. He was amazing with the Stones and I agree, he was instrumental in influencing Mick's forays into gospel. And really probably wrote a hell of a lot with Mick. From what I recall he came up with the riff for Miss You during the El McCombo shows. Billy was a very versatile and passionate performer. I love his work with the Stones and Love You Live's shinning moment is You Gotta Move with Billy harmonizing with soul and passion.

Date: August 11, 2009 16:49

can't forget that Preston also wrote "You Are So Beautiful", possibly with Dennis Wilson.

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: August 15, 2009 19:34

Keith plays on bass in "Do what you want" and "That the way God planned".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2009 20:45

bisonvodka
Keith plays on bass in "Do what you want" and "That the way God planned".

Supposedly did, but probably didn't.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2009 22:31

My bet would be that Richards' name was used to gain publicity, but that he doesn't play on any song at all. At least, there's not a bass track on that album that sounds like him.

Mathijs

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:34

whitem8,

Great info about the Bangladesh DVD.

Regarding Billy P - I think he was great with the Beatles and on I Got the Blues and on GHS and on the '73 tour and with the God Squad and on Melody and other bits of B&B - but he is a large part of the 'problem' of 1975-76 live Stones - just far too present and dominant - circus act. Makes everything a bit 'chintzy' and 'good-time'. Mainly Mick's fault ofcourse for encouraging such nonsense! 'Come on ya'all'

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2010 06:45

Just saw on the Clapton website that this album is one of 15 Apple releases that EMI is going to reissue in October.

[www.whereseric.com]

Date: July 8, 2010 07:31

Wonderful to see Apple flexing its creative muscle and re-releasing some classics! Great post thanks tatters!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2010 16:32

You know what would be cool? A box set containing every A and B side ever released on Apple Records from 1968-1975. I once saw such a thing at a bootleg show and was very tempted. Did you know that even Ravi Shankar once released a single on Apple?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home