Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Britain + America - The Two Rock n Roll World Superpowers
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 8, 2010 23:39

When I think of Rock Bands and Musicians its usually British and American..then Canadian and Australian Bands.But not so much European Bands and I know there will be a lot of great Bands from those Countries (lol).But when I try and think of some Bands from other Countries ive really got to think about it.And its been like that from the 1960s im just surpised some other Countries havent joined those other Superpowers or even taken over Rock music world domination in the 50 years or so.

Re: Britain + America - The Two Rock n Roll World Superpowers
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 9, 2010 00:44

Rock belongs to the English-speaking world.

I don't think there's more than a dozen non-English rock hits that are known over the world.

Autobahn by Kraftwerk is the only one I can think of right now.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 9, 2010 00:48

what about je suis un rock star? smiling smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 9, 2010 00:51

I concur - rock in non-English... always sounds awkward, especially in French.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 9, 2010 01:00

loog droog

I don't think there's more than a dozen non-English rock hits that are known over the world.

Joe Le Taxi!!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 9, 2010 01:35

jamesfdouglas
Can't say I agree. There's plenty of great rock and roll available in other languages. The main reason so many rock and roll songs are in English is because it commonly spoken all over the world. There's plenty great rock and roll in Japanese, Spanish and other languages as well. You just have to look for it. Remember Ce Plane Pour Moi, or La Bamba?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 01:39 by ChrisM.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2010 01:39

ChrisM
jamesfdouglas
Can't say I agree. There's plenty of great rock and roll available in other languages. Remember Ce Plane Pour Moi, or La Bamba? There's plenty great rock and roll out of Japan and Mexico as well. You just have to look for it..

i agree. it often sounds very awkward in english, too...which proves it has nothing to do with the language itself....

Date: June 9, 2010 06:37

ChrisM
Remember Ce Plane Pour Moi, or La Bamba?...

Plus Autobahn, and 99 Luftballons, that makes four non-English rock-era hits (that were big in English-speaking countries ) .

Are there any more?

Found one:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 06:49 by loog droog.

Date: June 9, 2010 07:29

loog droog..Nana Mouskouri may of had a hit?

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 9, 2010 07:50

since it was invented by "english"-speking americans, it's only natural it found a lot of rather convincing interpreters in the UK and Ireland, but in it's american rules lies the fact that it's essentially "world music" - apart from the african influence, it combines lots of european music that had already become american folk music.
So IMHO all non-american rock music is just an imitation of the original New World idea, and it depends on your cultural background what versions please you.
One has to remember that many american rock stars have their roots elsewhere than in Britain. People like Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia and Jorma Kaukonen don't have any Anglo-Saxon blood in them, not to mention Chuck Berry and Little Richard! (well Jerry doesn't have any blood in him at all...)
One factor in keeping non-american/british bands and artists relatively marginal is the fact that much of the visibility in the genre has been created by the british press - the fact that has made some rather undeserving acts known all over the world while some arguably better acts struggle to break through to a wider market.
Reading mags like Mojo and Uncut can be a bit annoying, it often feels like attending some nationalist rally, but of course the british can always claim it's irony, and the americans can just tell me to shut up, because they own rock music - and THEY do!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 07:52 by Child Of Clay.

Date: June 9, 2010 08:01

Child of Clay..What about disco music?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2010 09:08

colonial

Sweden + Australia (abba & bee gees),

The Two Undisputed Heavy Weight World Disco Superpowers of the whole wide world including Greenland & Antarctica.

that's just my opinion of course.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 9, 2010 09:16

colonial

yet another thing I don't know much about! Never stopped me from voicing an opinion tho spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

maybe the more groove-based the music is, the better it transcends cultural differences and language barriers. But one can sure tell the difference between the disco music that mutated from soul and Euro Disco. But isn't Pet Shop Boys Euro Disco? I'm pretty sure they have that style in the USA as well.

Date: June 9, 2010 09:16

treaclefingers
colonial

Sweden + Australia (abba & bee gee..British from The Isle of Man)

The Two Undisputed Heavy Weight World Disco Superpowers of the whole wide world including Greenland & Antarctica.

that's just my opinion of course.

Date: June 9, 2010 09:39

treaclefingers..After The Beatles and The Stones..the next big No1 Band here was ABBA and about that time..quite a few other Scandinavian and European Bands were getting all the attention here in NZ..ABBA were great and the Disco era was quite good to...smoking smiley

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 9, 2010 14:24

...but they (ABBA) díd sing in English...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 9, 2010 14:55

Gazza
loog droog

Joe Le Taxi!!

How could you forgot this one, don't need to speak a word of french to understand the meaning winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 9, 2010 15:04

Only America for Rock n Roll. England has come up with none new rock'n'roll, but for pop, yes thats England...Don't forget about Iceland that have Sigur ros and Björk...

Date: June 9, 2010 15:40

Come On
Only America for Rock n Roll. England has come up with none new rock'n'roll, but for pop, yes thats England...Don't forget about Iceland that have Sigur ros and Björk...
Come onthumbs up.........................................confused smiley?

Date: June 9, 2010 17:00

colonial
treaclefingers..After The Beatles and The Stones..the next big No1 Band here was ABBA and about that time..quite a few other Scandinavian and European Bands were getting all the attention here in NZ..ABBA were great and the Disco era was quite good to...smoking smiley

I actually don't mind some of that music from time to time. Everything has its place!

ABBA was definitely huge. I saw a TV program once, that did a computer analysis of popular songs, and it determined that 'Mamma Mia' was the best written pop song of all time. The top ten consisted primarily of ABBA, Beatles and Elvis songs.

Not sure what went into the determination, but was interesting nonetheless.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 9, 2010 18:11

I've always thought that English is the only langage that fits to Rockn' Roll .
That's why so many foreign bands sing in English even if it's not their native langage .
It also has to do with Phonetics .

In the late 70's & the 80's ,we had a lot of very good Rock bands in France,some of you here know which bands I am talking about -Bijou,Little Bob Story,Marquis de Sade ,Trust,Ganafoul,Starshooter (from my hometownwinking smiley )and Telephone but some of them sang in English .

Take a look to this link :
[divergences.be]

Are the French less capable than European-Americans or Britons of recreating music of African-American origins ? The explanation frequently offered by French musicians and fans of rock and roll is that there is indeed a cultural limitation in France : the language. In their opinion, the phonetic structure and monotone stress patterns of the French language render virtually impossible the articulation of the emotions, the feeling at the heart of African-American music.

This formula quickly achieved great popularity in the United States because of sexual taboos that are much stronger there than in Europe. Rock and roll either channels or releases libidinous energies pent-up by a repressive moral code. In France, on the contrary, the public is not “paralyzed” by puritanism and therefore has no need of rock and roll. This is why representations of “rock and roll” in France appear to be successful only to the degree that they are burlesque. Indeed, it seems difficult to put listeners into a trance who are physically reacting against the beat of the music in question.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 9, 2010 20:59

colonial

That's where French sounds fine!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 9, 2010 21:07

treaclefingers
I saw a TV program once, that did a computer analysis of popular songs, and it determined that 'Mamma Mia' was the best written pop song of all time.

Will a computer dance if it likes a song?

And if that computer is a laptop, does that mean it will do a lap dance??

"Mamma Mia?" I guess music critics can rest easy since it looks like their jobs won't be replaced by machines.

Date: June 9, 2010 21:09

A-ha topped the American Billboard charts with Take On Me in 1985. Sad, but true winking smiley I bet we can find at least 200 similar examples.

BTW, the thread was "Britain + America - The two rock'n'roll world superpowers". Didn't say that acts from other countries couldn't sing in english.

AND: Britain IS european winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 21:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 9, 2010 22:42

loog droog

Will a computer dance if it likes a song?

And if that computer is a laptop, does that mean it will do a lap dance??

quote]

nice one!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home