Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor & Jack Bruce
Date: July 9, 2010 14:04

Sacke
DandelionPowderman
One more thing, concerning the Bruce/Taylor project. I'm a big fan of both as musicians, but the material they were playing here wasn't exactly gonna make them big stars. Very strange songwriting, though well played, imo. The live boots I have are completely without hooks. I think Bruce was living in a bubble at the time...

I agree, and as strange as the songmaterial might be, i'm not that impressed by Taylor's guitarwork in this clip. I think he did even a better job on the live versions of the relaxed Dead Flowers.

I think parts of Taylor's phrasing are cool, mainly when he plays some weird mixture of jazz and latin. The blues stuff is very similar to what he did in the Stones, but without his excellent sound.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:08

I think his sound was too clean in this band. His blues scales are tasty,but I miss a few pentatonic ones over the Maj7 chords,especially the one's over the maj7 itself starting from the root for examle. (for the jazzrock players amongst us) I always hoped Taylor would have gone more in that direction..).But good memories attending them live at pinkpop '75. Btw I never knew Bruce was a drug addict,always thought he was clean as a whistle..smoking smiley

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:44

One of the reasons that Mick Taylor gave for leaving the Stones was that the Stones' music bored him. That he had trouble going through the 112 minute concerts because it was the same basic chords and style every night. Ironically, he is now stuck to playing traditional blues these days, which is even more standardized and repetitive.

The picture painted of MT from this experience isn't a pretty one. He bugged out from his band mates in both the Stones and Jack Bruce's group. Mick and Keith are such that they survived that unkind blow, but Jack Bruce and his talented band members were floored, some never to be heard from again.

And yes folks, everyone knew, including Jack Bruce and MT, that this band and music wasn't ever going to be as popular as Cream or the Rolling Stones. That wasn't the point . . .or actually, maybe it was precisely the point.

They were trying to break new musical ground, and to an extent they were successful, at least on this track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 14:55 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 9, 2010 15:31

This is Jack Bruce in good company;sorry audio only.He was into Jazz herethumbs up

Date: July 9, 2010 16:00

Sounds like Jean Luc Ponty... Nothing wrong with that smileys with beer

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:10

MCDDTLC
Mitch - Jack recently "offically" released a live CD of one of thie concerts,
they did on their mini-tour of Europe in 1975. Jack has always held a grudge
against Taylor for quitting like he did on Jack (sound fimiliar?)

Jack's comments on Taylor's playing on the CD was: someone's making some noise in
the background... Taylor has always been positive about this union, look up
Smiles & Grins - part#2 on Youtube and check out Taylor's playing here!!!!
video is a little jumpy during his solo, uploading problem the guy said.
and again Taylor get's no respect, look at how long the cameraman stays on
Bruce and the rest while Taylor's laying down these beautiful leads.. finally
in the end the guy turns his camera on Taylor . . idiot...

MLC

Indeed he did release a double live cd from this collaboration, as I have it. Pretty good too.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:47

71Tele
skipstone
Rocky Dijon
Of course the New Barbarians thought touring without an album was a good idea. I know it was sort of promoting Ronnie's GIMME SOME NECK, but only sort of.

Well...Ronnie is a proven songwriter.

Yes, he's proved that he can write mediocre songs. So can Bill Wyman.

So you're calling what Ronnie did with The Faces 'mediocre'? What, have you started drinking what Mitch always drinks?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:51

mitchflorida
It sounds like Jack Bruce is going to do a Cream-tribute sort of concert at the Hippiefest. I found his jazz rock endeavor more interesting, though it didn't really get very far.

It's not a tribute as much as it's Jack trying to prove that Cream was HIS band, which, to a large extent, it was. Anyway, that's what he did when I saw him on the 2008 Hippiefest tour. Short set, but great while it lasted. (And nobody there telling him to "turn down".) If you see Clapton, you're lucky if you get one or two Cream songs. If you want to see Cream, you gotta see Jack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 16:52 by tatters.

Date: July 9, 2010 16:56

mitchflorida
One of the reasons that Mick Taylor gave for leaving the Stones was that the Stones' music bored him. That he had trouble going through the 112 minute concerts because it was the same basic chords and style every night.

That's called touring. It's one thing to quit a band if you're tired of doing just that and would rather be home or you want to do something else, like open a restaurant or a car dealer or whatever.

Just like with any teenager, if they're bored then it's their own problem, not any one else's.

The last show Mick Taylor played with The Rolling Stones was October 19th, 1973. He quite just over a year later without having toured that year and having recorded a new album. His ego got the best of him, nothing else.

Date: July 9, 2010 17:35

Why Did Cream Break Up?

NEW YORK (AP) -Oct. 19, 2005 -- The reason Cream broke up in the first place is because of Ginger Baker's ears.

Baker tells Guitar World magazine he wanted out of the band because of the volume. He says, "It just got louder and louder and louder," and he didn't enjoy it anymore.

He says he asked the band to turn it down and they wouldn't, so that's what finished it for him.

Jack Bruce says he was nervous when they first reunited because he and Baker had had a falling out. Bruce says the best part about the reunion is that he and Bruce are buddies again. Their reunion show from May in London is now out on D-V-D.

Date: July 9, 2010 17:52

wow ,thanks for the five year old news .here in the village we dont have electricity ,so no tv, no internet , no newspapers.

Date: July 9, 2010 18:05

Do yourself a favor and remove Bridges to Babylon from your CD Players, and replace it with The Very Best of Cream. Your ears will thank you.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: July 9, 2010 18:34

mitchflorida
Do yourself a favor and remove Bridges to Babylon from your CD Players, and replace it with The Very Best of Cream. Your ears will thank you.

Some of you may not be familiar with Cream, so this tune can be a reason to remove your Bridges To Babylon cd:

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:23

I once read or heard MT say (I guess I read it) that Jack Bruce resembled Keith, but was even worse. So I think they couldn't get along. I also saw an YT-video with Bruce and Taylor being interviewed and Bruce didn't make an 'easy' impression on me. He seemed a difficult guy to handle. Just an instincive impression.

Date: July 9, 2010 20:23

DandelionPowderman
Sounds like Jean Luc Ponty... Nothing wrong with that smileys with beer

Clearly Mahavishnu influences too,Jerry Goodman on violin.

Date: July 9, 2010 20:31

Amsterdamned

When you release an instrumental track with no vocal and lyrics, you will easily lose about 75 percent of your audience. Besides, I can't say I think that it is particularly good music . .

Date: July 9, 2010 20:36

mitchflorida
Amsterdamned

When you release an instrumental track with no vocal and lyrics, you will easily lose about 75 percent of your audience. Besides, I can't say I think that it is particularly good music . .

Those guys are playing for themselves mainly.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 9, 2010 20:45

skipstone
71Tele
skipstone
Rocky Dijon
Of course the New Barbarians thought touring without an album was a good idea. I know it was sort of promoting Ronnie's GIMME SOME NECK, but only sort of.

Well...Ronnie is a proven songwriter.

Yes, he's proved that he can write mediocre songs. So can Bill Wyman.

So you're calling what Ronnie did with The Faces 'mediocre'? What, have you started drinking what Mitch always drinks?

No, not at all. With Faces he was indeed brilliant., and he had a great collaborator in Rod. His songs on his solo albums have been mediocre, except for the first album where he had LOTS of stellar help. But when I hear "new solo Ron Wood" album I don't exactly go weak in the knees with excitement.

Oh, and please don't pare me with Mitch. Having the opinion that Ron Wood is a mediocre songwriter is not really that insane a viewpoint, unless you think he's up there with Dylan, Lennon-McCartney, and Jagger/Richards. (Speaking of Dylan, I DID like Ron's version of "Seven Days").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 20:48 by 71Tele.

Date: July 9, 2010 20:49

Ah! Context!

Perhaps Ronnie needs a muse for his songwriting instead of his own babble to write songs. His work with Rod is stellar and what little he's done writing wise with the Stones I've always enjoyed. Solo wise is a whole other story.

Date: July 9, 2010 20:55

skipstone
Ah! Context!

Perhaps Ronnie needs a muse for his songwriting instead of his own babble to write songs. His work with Rod is stellar and what little he's done writing wise with the Stones I've always enjoyed. Solo wise is a whole other story.

Sorry, Skip. I should have qualified my initial comments. The Faces/Rod stuff was so long ago, it was like a different Ron Wood almost. I really do love those records. I think "Maggie May" is one of the best rock records ever made. I guess when Wood was asked to join the Stones, I had hoped he would bring some of that magic with him, and he kind of did, but only for a very short time. I don't think Mick & Keith wanted a real collaborator as much as a second guitarist - but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Date: July 9, 2010 20:58

Maggie is exceptional. Great great song. That is the unfortunate part of Ronnie joining the Stones - he didn't get to do what he did with Rod.

Date: July 9, 2010 21:03

skipstone
Maggie is exceptional. Great great song. That is the unfortunate part of Ronnie joining the Stones - he didn't get to do what he did with Rod.

No, he didn't. It's interesting the label put more money into the Rod solo albums than Faces albums at the time, but they were really Rod/Ronnie affairs musically. Much of the arrangements were Ronnie's as well as bass and guitar parts. He was a bigger fish in a smaller pond. He got the call up to the Big Leagues but I am not sure (judging from his personal problems) that he ever really made it work for himself. As I have said, that #2 guitar spot in this band is potentially deadly. Accept it at your own risk. Exhibit 1: Brian Jones; Exhibit Two: Mick Taylor; Exhibit Three: Ron Wood

Date: July 9, 2010 21:29

I don't think Taylor had the #2 guitar spot, certainly not live after 1969/70. His problems in the band really started when he actually had the #1 guitar position on stage.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 9, 2010 21:41

Re: Mick Taylor & Jack Bruce new

mitchflorida
One of the reasons that Mick Taylor gave for leaving the Stones was that the Stones' music bored him. That he had trouble going through the 112 minute concerts because it was the same basic chords and style every night.

That's called touring. It's one thing to quit a band if you're tired of doing just that and would rather be home or you want to do something else, like open a restaurant or a car dealer or whatever.

Just like with any teenager, if they're bored then it's their own problem, not any one else's.

The last show Mick Taylor played with The Rolling Stones was October 19th, 1973. He quite just over a year later without having toured that year and having recorded a new album. His ego got the best of him, nothing else.

Skip - He toured with the Stones - down-undwer in 1974... that was the last live shows..

MLC

Date: July 9, 2010 21:54

MCDDTLC

mitchflorida

Skip - He toured with the Stones - down-undwer in 1974... that was the last live shows..

MLC

Does the actual last show with Taylor exist anywhere on bootleg?

Date: July 9, 2010 22:01

71Tele
MCDDTLC

mitchflorida

MLC

Does the actual last show with Taylor exist anywhere on bootleg?

Yes indeed Tele, it's the show from Berlin 1973, Oct. 19, called Tour Over Europe, Live at Deutschlandhalle Berlin, West-Germany, VGP-140.

PS: The down-under tour was in 1973 Jan. and Feb., the so called Winter Tour. No tour in 1974 at all, not even down and/or under.

Date: July 9, 2010 22:05

Think your wrong there Kleer... My bootleg has it listed as: Perth - 1974

Any Aussie's around who can verify??

MLC

Date: July 9, 2010 22:10

MCDDTLC
Think your wrong there Kleer... My bootleg has it listed as: Perth - 1974

Any Aussie's around who can verify??

MLC

Must be a typo, MC. Just checked the Complete Works Of The Rolling Stones by Nico Zentgraf, to be extra sure. Perth was 1973 Feb. 24.

Date: July 9, 2010 22:15

Huh - maybe your right Kleer

thought I remember some Aussie saying something years back about the tour being
in 1974??? O-well..

MLC

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 9, 2010 22:57

February 1974, most of the band was in Munich working on IORR. They did not tour in '74 at all. A pity, given the quality of the '73 European tour.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1376
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home