Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor Gets Some Respect
Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 19:06

skipstone
What Mick T did on Plundered is great.

That's the shame of it. What Ronnie did on Some Girls and Emotional Rescue and some of Tattoo You and Undercover and a song/album after here and there is great too. Not the same thing, of course, but both great works. Mick Taylor's body of work with the Stones is way more condensed and studied - overall, better songs.

Ronnie Wood's work with the Stones is stretched out over a much longer period of time, he's featured on their biggest selling album ever and also after 1983 the demise of the Jagger-Richards songwriting "team" to boot plus just not really being included (whether it's relevant or not to the song/album is a moot point). So it's probably pretty safe to say Ronnie gets a poor shake when it comes to his place in the Stones' history because it's not in line with Taylor's history - The Big Four plus the other two (although really he's hardly on Let It Bleed as it is, his first album was really Sticky).

It also doesn't help that Ronnie's been a drunk, a stoner, a heavy drug user, a bit of a mythical inventor of history (like mitchflorida) and a total jack in the box to go with his sloppy rock'n'rolling. On stage and off. Studio wise he's pretty damn good. Live he's had his moments - but he'll never be revered the way Mick Taylor is. After Some Girls, it just didn't matter anymore anyway as far as how the band was live. Being loaded was just part of the fun obviously. Besides, the entire live vibe of the Stones had totally changed. The only faint way that Ronnie could have ever been revered like Mick Taylor only could have happened if the Stones continued their level of creativity after Undercover for another album or two and then Ronnie quit.

Point is, Taylor's not in the band. I would gladly be blown away if he came back into the band. But it's just not going to happen. It's not realistic. That's the kind of shit for some computer game. The dreamers need to quit dreaming.

Would it be good for the band? I doubt it. They're not what they were in the early 1970s and some people seem to think it would just automatically get back to that level. There is a problem on the other side of the stage to deal with as it is.

Was it good for Plundered? Yes. But last I checked and read, Ronnie is still the other guitar player in The Rolling Stones and there's not ONE mention from anyone that Mick T has even been considered to come back.

The dreamers need to quit dreaming.

Would it help with ticket sales? Hell no. There might be some people who buy tickets but "some people" will buy tickets anyway. It would be different if Keith had quit after, say, Voodoo and decided to come back in '012 if they do indeed tour. Mick Taylor? Nope. Just doesn't work that way. He's not Keith Richards, he's not Jimmy Page, he's not Pete Townsend and so on. He's Mick Taylor. That era is remembered for the songs, not for the other guitar player.

will you please shut up , i'm dreaming. i only get my rocks of when i'm sleeeeeeeeping , Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene....... oh yeah,i'll try.. i see mick taylor back with the stones! please don't wake me again

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2010 19:20

In case you didn't figure it out, that was really directed more at one person. But hell, since you identify with it...no, I won't shut up! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 9, 2010 00:35

Hey - most of us "Taylorites" ARE NOT saying REPLACE Ronnie with Taylor, just
"ADD" Taylor to the live lineup for one more tour... If that was pushed in the media, it would diffently attract some older Stones fans to the tour
it would for me and I haven't seen the Stones live since 1975...

MLC

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 9, 2010 02:49

At the very least, bring Mick Taylor into the recording studio and test the waters that way. See if he adds anything to the mix. There are a lot of big egos in the Rolling Stones. . not sure if Ronnie Wood would take kindly to Mick Taylor throwing his weight around .. or even participating. Supposedly they have a good relationship. How about Keith? They say an elephant never forgets. Can Keith forgive and forget?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 02:50 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 9, 2010 02:53

Do you mean forgive helping Taylor out or forget that he tried? Sorry, but I'm not clear whose weight was being thrown around? The elephant's?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 9, 2010 03:03

I like the Beck and Jagger clip. If Ron's too messed-up, and Keith won't let Mick T back then get Beck if he's willing.

Beck can play, and he's got the right hair cut

Date: July 9, 2010 03:18

deadegad
I like the Beck and Jagger clip. If Ron's too messed-up, and Keith won't let Mick T back then get Beck if he's willing.

That's not a bad idea either . .they have got to do something because the Rolling Stones with Ronnie Wood are starting to bore us to death

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: July 9, 2010 03:33

MCDDTLC
Hey - most of us "Taylorites" ARE NOT saying REPLACE Ronnie with Taylor, just
"ADD" Taylor to the live lineup for one more tour... If that was pushed in the media, it would diffently attract some older Stones fans to the tour
it would for me and I haven't seen the Stones live since 1975...

MLC

Count me in. I would love to see Ronnie on bass. But, I have no expectations of this ever happening.

PS I haven't seen them since '75 also.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 9, 2010 20:56

mitchflorida
deadegad

That's not a bad idea either . .they have got to do something because the Rolling Stones with Ronnie Wood are starting to bore us to death

They offered Beck the Job in '75. Beck refused. The Stones are worse now, Beck better.Ain't much hope..Besides Jagger is known as a greedy guy when it comes to paying Jeff....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 9, 2010 21:04

Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

They offered Beck the Job in '75. Beck refused. The Stones are worse now, Beck better.Ain't much hope..Besides Jagger is known as a greedy guy when it comes to paying Jeff....

Jeff Beck would have lasted about five minutes as a member of the Rolling Stones.

Date: July 9, 2010 21:05

71Tele
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

Jeff Beck would have lasted about five minutes as a member of the Rolling Stones.

In what respect?

Date: July 9, 2010 21:09

Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

In what respect?

Ego.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 9, 2010 21:10

71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

In what respect?

Ego.

whose? his or keith's?

Date: July 9, 2010 21:13

StonesTod
71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

In what respect?

Ego.

whose? his or keith's?

winking smiley

Date: July 9, 2010 21:34

Mitch - Guess you didn't read the Rolling Stone mag article a month ago where
Keith "praised" Taylor up & down and said: If I had my way Taylor would still be in the band!!

So come-on Keith - push the issue!!

MLC

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 9, 2010 21:38

MCDDTLC
Keith "praised" Taylor up & down and said: If I had my way Taylor would still be in the band!!

MLC

Yeah let Mick T back in to play unrestrained lead on a tour. Let the Stones live musical legacy go out on a very high note.

Date: July 9, 2010 21:43

Got that right - Deadegad!!!

MLC

Date: July 9, 2010 21:45

deadegad
MCDDTLC

MLC

Yeah let Mick T back in to play unrestrained lead on a tour. Let the Stones live musical legacy go out on a very high note.

Okay, but who is going to show up? The 1974 Mick Taylor or the 2010 Mick Taylor? And is the 2010 Mick Taylor up to the task?

Date: July 9, 2010 21:51

StonesTod
71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida
deadegad

In what respect?

Ego.

whose? his or keith's?

Yes!

Date: July 9, 2010 22:08

Mitck - give Taylor a few weeks to work with the guys, Jagger got all those good
results out of him and can do it again, Have to give Jagger his due when it comes to knowing out to get the best results out of superior musicians..

MLC

Date: July 9, 2010 22:55

IF there are further outtakes released, then we'll hear a few more Taylor contributions. I'm skeptical that the EXILE sales will warrant further packages. Universal has released all the studio albums now. Additional special editions or some sort of Bootleg Collection would have made sense had EXILE moved half a million copies or more. It didn't even come close. The same way that the abysmal sales of Jagger's VERY BEST OF... caused the release of the Red Devils Blues Sessions to be scrapped.

I certainly don't think you'll see Taylor rejoining the band to record a new album or tour. Considering how much the "Plundered My Soul" overdub meant to people here, we should look at the fact that Taylor is listed last after even Nicky Hopkins on the track listings. He was still treated second rate. Had Taylor not told us about the session, the world would have believed they were hearing outtakes of him only. They could have had him play additional guitar parts that Keith did in 2009 (particularly on "So Divine" and "Dancing in the Light" where Taylor isn't featured at all), but they only used him where it was essential to have a guitarist other than Keith or Jagger and when they got the original guy, they treated him like a sideman unworthy of recognition.

Date: July 9, 2010 23:12

Rocky Dijon

I certainly don't think you'll see Taylor rejoining the band to record a new album or tour. Considering how much the "Plundered My Soul" overdub meant to people here, we should look at the fact that Taylor is listed last after even Nicky Hopkins on the track listings. He was still treated second rate. Had Taylor not told us about the session, the world would have believed they were hearing outtakes of him only. They could have had him play additional guitar parts that Keith did in 2009 (particularly on "So Divine" and "Dancing in the Light" where Taylor isn't featured at all), but they only used him where it was essential to have a guitarist other than Keith or Jagger and when they got the original guy, they treated him like a sideman unworthy of recognition.

Who wants yesterdays papers
Who wants yesterdays guitarist
Who wants yesterdays papers
Nobody in the world

I'm living a life of constant change
Every day means the turn of a page
Yesterdays papers are such bad news
Same thing applies to me and you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 23:13 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 9, 2010 23:29

Not sure how to interpret that, MitchFlorida. Do you mean that's how they view Taylor?

Date: July 9, 2010 23:34

Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Getting Mick Taylor back in the group would be a long shot. But it would be a welcome move from my point of view. Reshuffle the deck a little bit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 23:35 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 9, 2010 23:43

I would have enjoyed seeing Richards, Taylor, and Wood touring together for STEEL WHEELS. Not sure if Keith is up for a tour or not these days (or Ronnie for that matter) and I don't know if Taylor would be up for a stadium tour after so many years if his health isn't also an issue. Reluctance to play to such a large audience was allegedly the factor in his near-miss appearance with the band to play "Rock Me, Baby" (a disappointment in my view if they didn't do a Stones song from his era with him) in 2003. I know there are those who think something more sinister happened, but I tend to believe the official story in this instance. Bo Diddley was also intimidated when he played with the band in Miami in 1994. Largest crowd of Bo's career and he lost his place in "Who Do You Love" and started with the chorus. Mick led him into the first verse and then he settled in. Bo admitted to experiencing stage fright to a degree a few years later. Sheryl Crow experienced something similar at the same show (just awe at being onstage with the band even though she knew them) and Mick had to lead her around the stage by the hand. I'd love to see the band do a theater tour, but that's as much of a longshot as Taylor rejoining I fear.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 10, 2010 07:02

I don't see how the Stones could possibly go on tour without Mick Taylor after the upcoming release of Ladies & Gentlemen. Think about it...they go on a tour with NO Taylor after the movie release makes a big splash...reviews, magazine articles,interviews videos, etc. I don't think they could leave him out. How could they possibly tour without inviting him along after people see that movie....many for the first time (most?)...and knowing that he's still 'alive and kicking'. To tour without him would a bit...embarrassing....don't you think.

Looking forward I see only two scenarios...1) That's it...there will be no more tours. The L&G re-release will be a concert swan song. 2) The movie release is a set-up for some kind of tour WITH Mick Taylor. It only makes sense...
Hey, maybe MJ wants him back, which would explain the invite on PMS...setting the table?

BTW...Yeah! My first post gets 3,000 hits and 177 replies. Thanks people...for all your great insights...Cheers

Date: July 10, 2010 07:29

I think this is just wishful thinking on the part of fans. For most people, L&G is about Jagger only. Sure reviewers will say they were at their peak, a few reviews may mention Taylor, but outside of Stones circles, there is no one waiting for the Return of Mick Taylor. Most people know Jagger, maybe Richards, and would recognize Woody's hair. Jagger and Richards (to a lesser extent) are the image as much as the lapping tongue logo. They're old now, they're an institution that young people who are into music think they need to appreciate. It's all part of the See 'em Before They Die mentality that the last 20 years of tours have increasingly become. I am a fan of Taylor's work within the band, but the only ones who will really remember him are us. He's not coming back and the public won't even blink after L&G. Personally, I'm still betting against another Stones tour. I think those days are behind them though they won't acknowedge that until one of the three passes away.

Date: July 10, 2010 15:49

"So I think I did that with the Stones, I spent as much time, or even more time then anyone except Mick and Keith in the studio on my seven Stones’ albums. More than Charlie, more than Bill, more than Mick Taylor. More than Ronnie. I came to the full mixing, the overdubbing. I loved Mick Taylor in the Stones. That was great. Because I liked Mick Taylor’s feminine warm sounds intertwined with Keith’s masculinity. And I felt Ronnie was brilliant, I knew him from the Faces. Ronnie is like Keith. It’s like two Keiths. They’re both very similar. But that Mick Taylor had something, the texture. Even now when I listen to the Stones’ channel on Sirius, I hear those Mick Taylor solos… Does something to me."

----Marshall Chess, Stones ex-Manager

Yep, just what I wanted, a Rolling Stones group with two Keith Richards in them, Big Keith and Small Keith (Ronnie Wood). But heck, the music isn't as good, but at least Keith now has a buddy and can crack jokes with him after the shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-10 15:50 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:04

Regarding Jeff Beck ever touring with the Stones:

Coming out of the same British R&B background as the Stones, in the mid 1960s Beck worked with the Yardbirds, before forming - most significantly in regards to Stones history - the Jeff Beck Group in 1967, which featured Rod Stewart on vocals and Ron Wood on bass, and in 1968 Nicky Hopkins as well. The group broke up in 1969-70 when Rod and Ron left to form the Faces. Beck formed a few short-lived outfits, before enjoying relative success with solo instrumental jazz rock albums in the mid-1970s. It was during this period that he jammed with the Stones during their Black and Blue sessions as a possible replacement for Mick Taylor.

In 1983, Beck, like Page and Clapton, participated in the all-star charity tour for Ronnie Lane and multiple sclerosis, which featured Charlie, Bill and, for a few dates, Ronnie. His biggest Stones connection in the 1980s was with Mick, however. Beck was hired as the chief guitar gunner for his first solo album, She's The Boss (1985). In 1986-87, Mick enlisted Beck again to play on Primitive Cool and Beck was supposed to take part in the tour that was being planned for the album, but backed out after a club gig in L.A. with Mick in late 1987. In between those two projects, he appeared, like Clapton and other British colleagues, at the Stones' private gig held in honor of Ian Stewart in February 1986. He played onstage with the Stones for some numbers. In an issue of Beggars Banquet magazine, Bill German reports that at some point Beck started playing the riff to Mick's Just Another Night. Keith gave him a dirty look and Beck got the drift and stopped.

I mean, Jeff's very much a lead player; he doesn't like to play parts over and over, which Keith and Ronnie would do. That's a great difference (between them).

- Mick Jagger, 1984

From this description, it should be apparent that Ronnie Wood joined the Stones after Keith decided that Jeff Beck's guitar style wouldn't fit into the group.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 22:15 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 11, 2010 22:12

palerider22
I don't see how the Stones could possibly go on tour without Mick Taylor after the upcoming release of Ladies & Gentlemen...after the movie release makes a big splash...reviews, magazine articles,interviews videos, etc.

You mean have the same kind of success that Shine A Light had? That's a big splash? Or the reissue of Ya-Ya's? Or Exile? Sure - lots of hype. It certainly helped with Exile.

Just can not see Ladies & Gentlemen having the impact you think it could since it's just coming out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

[www.cinematical.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home