Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Open G tuning with a Bigsby
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:18

Hey all,
I want to set up one of my guitars in open g and remove the top string. My only hesitation is that I have a Bigby on the guitar.

Can someone tell me the answer to this question?

If I remove the top g string from my guitar, will it negatively impact the tuning stability of my guitar due to the Bigsby not having all 6 strings?

Thank you

Re: OT: Open G tuning with a Bigsby
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:32

I'm pretty sure the Bigsby will complain because it sees not enough tension from only 5 strings.
the Bigsby spring will push the tremelo arm up so you won't have much left to increase tension - only release it.

to avoid this I'd suggest you leave the 6th string on and tune it to yet another G instead of D.
that way you won't have any impact on tuning stability or the Bigsby going out of whack.

G, G, D, G, B, D

Date: May 15, 2010 21:42

Great! thank you open-g. I figured it would be an issue. I really appreciate your help

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 15, 2010 22:43

As along time user of Bigsby equipped guitars I can say that I have never had a problem using alternate tunings on them. Open-G is right when he says there will be less tension on the spring because of de-tuning but this in itself has not in my experience affected the Bigsby's performance or caused tuning issues, assuming of course your Bigsby is setup correctly. Even removing the low E shouldn't be a problem. The only real difference you may see is that the arm will be a little further from the body due to the relaxed spring tension. You can compensate by using heavier strings. As to tuning the low E to G that is something I have never done, but I think you can get more chord and sing line possibilities with it tuned to D, especially if you finer pick like I do. Anyway, have fun with it Cafaro!
(By the way,what sort of Bigby'd guitar do you have?)

Date: May 15, 2010 23:59

hello,
Thanks again. I am going to leave the top string on and tune it to G or d and see which I like better.

I have Bigbys on a Gretsch 6120.. the lesser model with the D"Armond pickups.. and a Reverend Club King with mini humbuckers. I am going to use the Reverend for the open g tuning.

I got a 72 re-issue hot rod Tele with the Seymour Duncan mini humbucker and I was going to sell the Reverend but I am going to keep it now for use on open tunings. I really love Bigsby's. I am no Jeff Beck and never will be so the Bigsby is perfect for me.....and it looks cool!

I was thinking of taking the Bigsby off the Reverend and putting on the Hot Rod Tele but someone told me I could'nt/should'nt do it because of the Tele's through body stringing. Have you any thoughts on that?

Many many thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 00:08 by Cafaro.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 16, 2010 05:30

>>I was going to sell the Reverend but I am going to keep it now for use on open tunings. I really love Bigsby's. I am no Jeff Beck and never will be so the Bigsby is perfect for me.....and it looks cool!

I was thinking of taking the Bigsby off the Reverend and putting on the Hot Rod Tele but someone told me I could'nt/should'nt do it because of the Tele's through body stringing.

Nah - you're thinking thru' the loops!
you're gonna mess up 2 perfectly good guitars with a questionable result!

1. sell that Reverend - but it needs to keep it's Bigsby for a reasonable price.
2. don't mess up your Hot Rod Tele with drilling holes for the whammmy bar.
3. use the funds of the Rev to buy a Squier CV 50 and a Bigsby and mod the hell out of it.

4. thank me, ten years later

[www.xs4all.nl]

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: May 16, 2010 11:44

open-g
use the funds of the Rev to buy a Squier CV 50 and a Bigsby and mod the hell out of it.
thank me, ten years later [/quote/]

+1 to that.

Here is the real deal on the right and my much modded Squier on the left............A Squier Affinity. Cost me £90....it has a Nocaster bridge pup and a Seymour Duncan H/B.

i gig with it and use it as the capoed guitar.....AWESOME.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 17, 2010 04:44

Thanks guys....I own a Squire Tele custom that I paid 150 US used. I put Dimarzio PAF Pros on it . It sounds and plays great. I bought on the advice of Guitarist Magazine's 50 guitars to play before you die. I love it except for the pots. I need to replace them next as they are either on or off, no adjustment. Any sugggestions?

I am happy with the Reverend right now in Open G. It's like learing a new instrument. If I sell it, I am going to put the money towards a 70s Ampeg amp or a Mesa Mark 1.

You are right about the Hot Rod Tele.......it shall remain stock! I looked at it last night and realized I have no intrest in modding it. It's my favorite guitar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home