Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What would Keith's life be without Jane Rose?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 5, 2010 01:36

How did Jane Rose end up working for Keith? I think she is really a good manager and friend....but I also think she is too involved ... any thought from the masters?

Re: What would Keith's life be without Jane Rose?
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 5, 2010 02:24

I recall reading years ago, in the Rock Book Of Lists, about some guy in the business, a photographer, publicist, or something like that saying about rock stars that, "They're all nice enough blokes, if you manage to get face to face with them." He gave an example with Eric Clapton, saying that he had done some legitimate, requested work for him, but it was next to impossible to actually speak to the guy because of all the layers of sycophants surrounding him, especially backstage.

I think Jane may be good on certain business aspects, but I also think she brought more of the above to Keith's professional life. Which is fine I suppose, but it spilled over into the more personal aspects, and made it hard for people like Bill German, who Keith seemed to genuinely want to interact with, to get through to him. He speaks a lot in his book about missed opportunities to hang or work with Keith, invites which seemed to be sincerely offered by Keith himself, only to find it impossible to follow through and actually reach him, especially if Jane was involved. A lot of this I'm sure is due to Keith's erratic nature and hectic lifestyle, but I think a lot of it came from Jane. I realize she was probably trying to protect her client, and some of it may have even come from Keith himself, but often times, she seemed to be too overzealous in her shielding of him.

I also think she caused a lot of the friction between Keith and Mick to come to a head in the mid-80's. If I'm not mistaken, Mick does not like her. Everything I've read about her points to her being a caustic and abrasive person.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 5, 2010 02:25

I read somewhere that she worked for Mick (or maybe it was the Stones?) and Mick fired her and Keith hired her.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 5, 2010 02:48

In the 25 x 5 video,Jane Rose talks about Keiths Toronto bust, so I dont know how far back her association with them went - " Keiths ninth life - gonna give up music or drugs" I read somewhere that Mick fired her in the early 80s I think, and as skipstone said, Keith hired her pretty much straight away.But Loudei, Im not a master here, and Im sure there are a lot of people here with more information than I can give Cheers.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 5, 2010 02:49

Hard to know with Keith. It's possible he's someone who relies on a "bad cop" like Jane Rose to keep people in abeyance, and still be able to keep the appearance of the open affable guy who would hang out and talk to you if only he could.

Date: July 5, 2010 03:15

skipstone
I read somewhere that she worked for Mick (or maybe it was the Stones?) and Mick fired her and Keith hired her.

I vaguely recall something like that too. If that's the case, then what I spoke of is probably even more likely.

Date: July 5, 2010 03:31

swiss
Hard to know with Keith. It's possible he's someone who relies on a "bad cop" like Jane Rose to keep people in abeyance, and still be able to keep the appearance of the open affable guy who would hang out and talk to you if only he could.

Swiss, we have to quit meeting like this or people will talk. I got that impression while reading Bill German's book too. That's the kicker though, is it Jane because of Jane, or Jane because of Keith. There were times when I thought Bill G. needed to either take a hint, or read between the lines better (which I guess is kinda the same thing. Oh well, you get my drift). It's hard to say for sure though.

But then there were other times when Bill G. described her as just being difficult, even if Keith wasn't around or directly involved, and he did legitimately benefit the group quite a bit, so again, it's hard to say. It's probably a mix of both. I still think she's a jerk a lot of the time.

And I do think the good cop (Keith), bad cop (Keith's flunky) scenario is extremely possible.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 5, 2010 03:44

Some of these people who need to maintain an image of approachability and affability need a bulldog like Jane Rose to control access and be the bad cop, so their employer never looks like he (or she) is anything less than pleasant and kind. I dealt with David Letterman for many years. He was always nice as pie in personal encounters, but his executive assistant/getwekeeper was a bitch from hell. Took me a long time to figure out the dynamic - at my peril.

Date: July 5, 2010 03:54

71Tele
Some of these people who need to maintain an image of approachability and affability need a bulldog like Jane Rose to control access and be the bad cop, so their employer never looks like he (or she) is anything less than pleasant and kind. I dealt with David Letterman for many years. He was always nice as pie in personal encounters, but his executive assistant/getwekeeper was a bitch from hell. Took me a long time to figure out the dynamic - at my peril.

I can so see that. I picture David being a pretty nice guy if you happen to have contact with him, but if it's because of a breach in the Letterman Gestapo, I could easily see him telling an assistant to never let that person near him again.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 5, 2010 04:28

71Tele

Sort of a good cop/bad cop scenario? I can see that with David Letterman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 5, 2010 05:54

Re: In the sweet old country where i come from. new
Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: June 16, 2010 01:40

Something between the glimmer twins was festering throughout the
the American leg of the 1981 tour and with the firing of Jane Rose,
Stones long time executive secretary,
it boiled over into a mental hop scotch
chess match between the glimmer twins

"Keith had immediately hired her to look after his
affairs as his manager.”
Pissing Mick off

“This made Mick crazy and the more authority
Keith gave Jane, the angrier
Mick became.” (what is it with these two guys,always bickering)

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 5, 2010 08:26

Anyway, she can't be that wonderful. I saw in some interview somewhere that she was organising Keith to go to the dentist, and he has been recently included in a list of the 10 rock musicians with the worst teeth. You'd think she could find him a better dentist.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 5, 2010 12:13

Anyone got a picture of Jane?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 5, 2010 13:11

The 19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - Backstage and Audience

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2010 13:32

Jane looks after Keith...Very professional...She's his fire-wall...
Have met her 2--3 times ... Classy lady ... Woulda been like way cool
to buy her a drink as a thanks for all the hard work she does but couldn't get the conversation around to that area.......

Deserves thanks for all she does...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-05 13:34 by Rockman.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 5, 2010 13:38

Nice words Rockman. Well said

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 5, 2010 14:03

Hats off for Jane Rose; to "manage" Keith Richards and to make a career out of it is quite impressive. Just think about it.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 5, 2010 14:28

I deeply agree with Rockman. She's stood faithfully beside Keith - through thick and thin - since the early 70s, or something. In Toronto, she was basically the only one who dared staying, when everyone else fled back to NYC or whereever.
I've only had very nice encounters with her, and even looked after her dog, Ruby, once.
I admire her loyalty, and Keith - who's a loyal friend to all his friends himself - would go through fire and ice for Jane Rose. Just like she would - and has done - for him.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 5, 2010 16:19

Hey, she probably helped keep the man alive...Some force had to be employed with the track he was on LOL

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 5, 2010 16:29

Rockman is right, artists need a strong 'protector' to help them focus on producing great art. It keeps the wolves at bay, and looks after their best interests, and helps them keep it together. A great manager is worth their weight in gold. The way I see it, their role is similar to a great movie producer... I have been fortunate in my career to work with some of the best managers in the Oz music industry, they are amazingly dedicated people. The best tend to be artists themselves, in their heart, and that provides the passion to drive their profesisonal career. And like great movie producer's, their role in creating the conditions for great art is generally underappreciated. In other words, Ms.Rose deserves a beer.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 5, 2010 16:53

Jane Roseless

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: July 5, 2010 17:55

SMALL STORY. During the dirty work session in Paris in 1985, fans did a lot of pictures outside the studio. Pictures of one of them were very nice. One night he showed his pictures to Jo Wood. She took them with her in the studio and after several minutes, she came back and the guy was authorised to come in the studio but without camera (he was 18 years old). It was the last day of the recording sessions.
Five years later, I saw him again with all the professionals photographs during the first songs of one the paris shows. Nothing exceptionnal but during the keith songs he came back with Claude Gassian the official photograph of the tour. Why! because he met JANE ROSE and showed her the same pictures from the dirty work sessions and she authorised him to shoot the 2 keith's songs. Good memories for this guy and I was very happy for him. JANE ROSE is a king of firewall for keith but sometimes is luck is on your own...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 5, 2010 18:23

Cool. Ha ha. I find it hilarious that Mick gets pissed off about the funniest things. Seems Mick is always hindering the success of the band while Keith is always hindering the relationship with Mick while Ronnie hinders is life and Charlie, heh heh, he just tends to his horses.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 5, 2010 20:19

Bliss
Anyway, she can't be that wonderful. I saw in some interview somewhere that she was organising Keith to go to the dentist, and he has been recently included in a list of the 10 rock musicians with the worst teeth. You'd think she could find him a better dentist.
Well last pictures I saw of Keith when he was doing publicity for the Exile resissue. He had a set of choppers that were glowing. So he must have found that good dentist.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 5, 2010 21:51

Are you serious? Mick hindering the band?? If it weren't for Mick, we would not have had the last 4 tours!! He does it ALL! So dumb to have to state the obvious but I just had to!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2250
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home