Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith and Mick Singing Together
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 27, 2010 00:11

Mick Jagger is one of the best rock singers in history, while Keith has never been known for his solo singing ability. But their singing together is something else. Imagine Bitch, Brown Sugar, 100 Years Ago, She Was Hot, Rocks Off, and many others without Keith's occasional harmonizing. The songs would be different and bland. He manages to hit just the right note at just the right moment at just the correct placement in the song to send it over the top. I also notice that his singing is about one tenth of a second behind that of Jagger. For some reason the slight delay is very effective. Here is an experiment. Listen to Beast of Burden and try to imagine Keith's vocals not there.

Re: Keith and Mick Singing Together
Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: June 27, 2010 01:43

Couldn't agree more. And since you mention Bitch, I think Keith should have sung the lead on it. I really miss his vocals on Sticky Fingers and I think Bitch would have suited him well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-27 01:44 by Hillside Blues.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:39

I think as can be seen on the L&G movie, and even Gimme Shelter- Honky Tonk Women- Keith provided great backup vocals.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 27, 2010 12:45

Happy live - Mick and Keith singing together.
The best version.
Mick and Keith singing together gave the song power that doesn't exist anymore.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 27, 2010 13:57

When was the last time Mick stayed on stage during Keith's solos, and why does he not do that anymore?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 27, 2010 14:18

Edith Grove
When was the last time Mick stayed on stage during Keith's solos, and why does he not do that anymore?
Began changing 1981? Mick wants a rest.
They could keep Happy as a Mick and Keith singing and then Keith could sing one of his own without Mick.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 27, 2010 15:25

Edith Grove

Leeds 1982....never thought about it, before good old "rooster" made me aware
But Leeds was an excpetion, since it was the last show of the 1981/1982 tour.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 27, 2010 15:33

Is it a contractual thing these days where Mick Has to give Keith the stage for his songs?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:54

For the most part I like Keith's backup vox, however he is brutal on Time Is On My Side from Hampton 1981.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 28, 2010 00:44

I think some of Mick's greatest moments are as back up...Happy..The Worst that spring to mind...and certainly Keith's back up vox are the back bone on some of their greatest hits.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: June 28, 2010 02:26

Hillside Blues
And since you mention Bitch, I think Keith should have sung the lead on it.
Absolutely not!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 28, 2010 07:31

Are there any songs that come to mind where they sing dual lead vocals? I think that is what I am hearing on "Connection", but I can't think of any others right now.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: June 28, 2010 07:51

mckalk
Are there any songs that come to mind where they sing dual lead vocals? I think that is what I am hearing on "Connection", but I can't think of any others right now.

'Memory Motel', 'Salt of The Earth', 'Anyway You Look At It', 'Sweethearts Together' sort of, 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' almost, 'Dear Doctor' almost, 'Sweet Black Angel' almost, many others.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: June 28, 2010 09:08

I am thinking more where they are both sing the lead vocal together throughout the song, not sure the technical term.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:29

None that I'm aware of. Singing harmonies is not a duet. Trading off lead vocals would make it a duet. So in that sense, one could say Connection and Memory Motel are, at least for the Stones, ha ha, duets, even though those are just parts. Connection probably isn't even a duet but more of Keith singing lead than Mick. Afterall, even Keith says Connection was his first singing for the Stones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:52

mtaylor
Edith Grove
Began changing 1981? Mick wants a rest.
They could keep Happy as a Mick and Keith singing and then Keith could sing one of his own without Mick.

Eggzactly, that's when they began increasing the stage time from close to 2 hours to 3+ hours, so Mick needs a break from all that running around.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:57

mckalk

Connection is still a Mick vocals, Keith backup vocals - just Keith is a little more pronounced than normal. But as there are portions where it is just Mick singing, he is the lead. BTW, I've noticed that this topic never came up before where people mistakenly think Keith is on lead, but after Keith started doing it live (with Winos) people started labeling the original as Keith on vocals. Keith just added it to his setlist on that tour, much like Gimme Shelter.

Date: June 28, 2010 20:13

LeonidP
mckalk

Connection is still a Mick vocals, Keith backup vocals - just Keith is a little more pronounced than normal. But as there are portions where it is just Mick singing, he is the lead. BTW, I've noticed that this topic never came up before where people mistakenly think Keith is on lead, but after Keith started doing it live (with Winos) people started labeling the original as Keith on vocals. Keith just added it to his setlist on that tour, much like Gimme Shelter.

Yes, I was listening to some later day Keith versions and went back to the original and it is still Mick on lead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home