Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Hey Kids, Let's Yap and Rap and Chat About the First Real True US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 17, 2010 16:54

Someone on here said the IORR board is becoming dull/boring for some not exactly clear reason. Yeah, no sh*t, that's because most of the people on it these days don't realize there even was a Rolling Stones band before STEEL WHEELS. 1970 tours? Ahhhhh.... stop jivin' me, yeah sure, and the Beatles are still putting out new albums as we speak, right?. The problem is too many of the IORR members as of present were still sh*tting their diapers when Mick was singing I GO WILD and SAINT OF ME live. I don't know what happened, did BV kick off too many of the old timers or is it that the last new album came out about the same time as the 9/11 attack. Who knows, all I know is the "new" Exile extra tracks disc is almost much ado about nothing. Most of the songs are throw away with a couple good ones (ALL DOWN THE LINE with the chicks providing background and EXILE ON MAIN STREET BLUES) are nowhere to be found. What, 12 cuts on 1 CD are too many? 10's the limit? It a sad state of affairs. Another STONES tour? I doubt it Another GREAT Stones album (STEEL WHEELS/VOODOO/BRIDGES) - 1/3 0f each mixed together to make ONE great one? NEVER EVER.. Jagger seen about town working on boring upcoming films at over priced, plastic fancy restaurants with Jack Nickolson and crap food in LA - FOR SURE, no doubt about that.

I very kindly ask BV to stop kicking people off for no reason. Let's fix IORR, back to it's wilder, much funner days - DON'T LET IT SELF DESTRUCT !!!! Iv'e seen too many boards go bye-bye. it was once the best board in the world !!!!

Sincere thoughts from Helter (lucky enough to see the Stones from 1969 on....to 1999) (Just opinions - and it is a pure Stones topic, no reason to delete.....Let's discuss)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-23 02:46 by HelterSkelter.

Re: Hey Dudes and Babes, Let's Jibber - Jabber About the First US Stones tour in 1994
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2010 17:19

Don't you mean nineteen-SIXTY-four?

Re: Hey Dudes and Babes, Let's Jibber - Jabber About the First US Stones tour in 1994
Date: June 17, 2010 17:28

tatters, Read the WHOLE thing, I DO mean 1994 - Nineteen Ninety Four........

PS. Everybody RAVES about the 1981 tour, Jagger in a silly as sh*t Football out fit, Stage set looking like a Jane Fonda workout studio. The bright pastel colors, the set list, PUKE - LET ME GO, 20 FLIGHT ROCK? HANG FIRE? COME ON !!!! GOING TO A GO-GO and BLACK LIMO were great but they added GO-GO later......

Date: June 17, 2010 21:25

Lump in my Bump

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 17, 2010 21:31

Went to the US for 5 shows: Washington DC (2), Indy and NYC (the first 2).
Great shows and great people from all over the world.

But 1981 rules, dude!

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Jibber - Jabber About the First US Stones tour in 1994 (Voodoo Lounge)
Date: June 17, 2010 21:47

I went to go see MEET MR. LINCOLN at Disneyland were a super high tech ABRAHAM LINCOLN Movable statue speaks to you - he recites a speech, it's SO cool. I hear they plan to do one for the Stones since the "Real" Stones stopped performing in early 2001. I hope they do a 20 minute version of MISS YOU - that would be Super RAD !!!

Date: June 18, 2010 03:36

TooTough
But 1981 rules, dude!

1981 rules what? The Stones pretending to be what they once were? Damn straight , agree with you on that. Where were the following kick ass A1 songs in 1981?

GIMME SHELTER
MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
SYMPATHY
PAINT IT BLACK
SLAVE
SUMMER ROMANCE (F*ck LET ME GO - throw away excuse for a song)
DOWN IN THE HOLE

Got Lost Somewhere I guess..... (maybe in Mick's rolled up socks....)

Check this out TooTough -

Part of 1975 set list (songs that had never been played before in the USA or had radical rearrangements)

IF YOU WON'T ROCK ME
GET OFF OF MY CLOUD
AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG
FINGERPRINT FILE
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
DANCE LITTLE SISTER
WILD HORSES
HEARTBREAKER
....and of course all the old war horses then were much newer and fresher - I mean BROWN SUGER was 4 years old, almost new - so even the warhorses were great - GREAT SHOWS my friend

1981 was when Mick started doing "the Mick" (an imitation of the real Jagger). Nothing real, nothing spontaneous, just touring giant stadiums to rake in the bucks. We all thought it was a giant rip off but had no idea Michael C. was around the corner. 1978 was the very beginning of the last great tours/shows by 1981 it was all over. But I must say 1989 (minus horrible short haircut on Mick) and the 90's were pretty good for the new copy of the original "The Group Has Left The Building" retired real Rolling Stones. 1989 had a great set list. Bunch of never played songs since earlier than 1968 - RUBY TUESDAY, 2000 LIGHT YEARS, PLAY WITH FIRE, ONE HIT, HARLEM SHUFFLE,, PAINT IT BLACK, LITTLE RED ROOSTER, ETC.

In closing, if you missed the wild and anything goes shows in the 70's you missed out - my sympathy to you and yours.......

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Yap On (talk) About the First US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Date: June 18, 2010 03:40

Forgot about "SAMBA SYMPATHY" as an encore at the 75 Los Angeles shows - great stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 03:45 by HelterSkelter.

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Yap and Rap About the First US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Date: June 18, 2010 19:25

Everybody is so scared to comment, how predictable. I guess most members on now are under 13 yrs old and don't get it. Listen man, don't mind me, go back to texting your new friend from summer camp.......

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Yap and Rap About the First US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:28

It could be that it's just not really a big deal.

Date: June 18, 2010 19:56

Nothing is a big deal when you're 13 (maybe playin' with your pee-pee but that's it). IMHO, Wrong train of thought skipper !!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2010 19:57

HA HA!

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 18, 2010 20:58

1981 = last great US tour.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 18, 2010 21:02

Slick

last time it was a real rock'n'roll concert, anyway....

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: June 18, 2010 21:38

I think what fails to be mentioned is the price per song we pay nowadays. I saw them in '72 for the first time. Obviously, Keith played much better in those days but now we pay insane prices to hear HTW, BS, SFTD, YCAGWYW, etc and now (I know, he has arthritis) Keith can't pick up his guitar to sing You Got the Silver! Glad I got to see him play (with his guitar) on Licks Tour at MSG.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 18, 2010 22:27

what the F %$#@? is this all about??

Date: June 19, 2010 20:05

WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

See, you have to be able to read, I can't text you a simple version corriecas cause my "communication" is free and natural. It's called using my voice, not punching in letters/numbers into some plastic crap device or cell phone, no sh*t wasting time typing to one person (besides E-mail which gets around the world to tons of people)

It's about how if you didn't see the STONES in 1969 - 1978 (OK, 1981 kinda - I'll give you that but I really thought 81 was MEDIOCORE at best (I have all 3 concert video tapes - SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (HORRIBLE EDITING !!!!), SEATTLE BOOT - No GOING TO A GO-GO, big mistake, LIVE IN HAMPTON, VIRGINIA (pay-per-view, best one of the 3, not saying much).....horrible set list, horrible stage, horrible stage outfit on Jagger) if you didn't see the 60's and/or especially the wild 70's shows you never really saw the TRUE BAND (even with woman beater Ronnie Wood on sometime guitar - bring back MICK TAYLOR !!!). I was too young for the Brian era but from 1969 to 1978 the band just rocked. It wasn't all choreographed and carnival act like it is now with + - 12 to 14 people on stage (I thought there were 4 Stones now - used to be 5 till Bill Wyman saw the future).

READ THE TOP TOPIC PART AGAIN (it was meant for 1994 but I changed it due to popular opinion. I personal think 1981 sucked and was the beginning of the sh*t stadium shows we get now (except for the short and great 1999 NO SECURITY tour which were Helter's last live shows, IN WITH A BANG - 1969/OUT WITH A BANG - 1999. MOONLIGHT MILE, SOME GIRLS, YOU GOT THE SILVER, ROUTE 66, NO MISS YOU, PAINT IT BLACK - What A Show, what a pair of SHOWS !!!! smiling smiley. DVD's are good enough now.

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Yap and Rap About the First Real Plastic US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2010 20:26

I like your spirit, even if I don't get every detail of what you're saying...

It is obvious here that there are fans who took to the Stones during the "Vegas" era, post-Bill, 90s or later. Obviously their fandom is as legitimate as that of any of us "oldtimers", but I do think it brings out two radically different perspectives on this board: The fans who are happy with the tours that have been done since the 90s, and want more of that...and those of us who miss the musical power that the band used to possess in, well let's just say sometime before the 90s.

Makes for interesting, and occasionally exasperating, discussions.

Re: Hey Kids, Let's Yap and Rap About the First Real Plastic US Stones tour - 1981 (The Pastel Tour)
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 19, 2010 20:50

Sorry, but ive been a Stones fan since 1973, seen them Several times, so no need to hit on me.
Just did not like the 1981/1982 tour. Right !!
But you are excused, hahaha
jeroen

Date: June 19, 2010 21:02

1981 Last Great Musician's Tour

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 19, 2010 22:12

StonesTod
Slick

It was also the first major rock tour with corporate sponsorship.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 19, 2010 22:20

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
Slick

It was also the first major rock tour with corporate sponsorship.

such rebels they were - bucking the conventions of not touring with a cologne sponsor...this tour had an official odor.....

Date: June 19, 2010 22:24

So blaoted corporate cash-cow tours were essentially invented my The Stones.
Has anyone else here imagined what, say, a 1984 tour would have been like??? Neon pink and green everywhere! What a State of Shock that would have been! lol

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 19, 2010 22:42

HelterSkelter
Lump in my Bump
Hi Helter,
I love this tour and I love the 1989 tour and 1994... heck I love'em all live.

1981 Boulder was my first Stones show, weeechita was my most
recent with 28 in between the bottons. I will report that I have
ALWAYS been thrilled at every Stones show. The Stones are(were) really good
at this business and telling from the bigazz smiles on the faces of the other
million and half people who went with me ..... it seems a good time was had by all......

but.... one's first is always special, eh? and my first was this 1981 tour.
I am still furious I missed the 1976 show, and I vowed...and I did ...and I did...

I am aware many here do not like the 1981 Ashby movie (for whatever logic)
but for me it brings back great times. I would be delighted to be able top go
back and relive my life from 1981 up to now.....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 23:29

The '81 tour is a hard one. Musically, there were glimpses of a hard boiled rock band. Some great returns for some songs, like Time is On My Side and Under My Thumb. This was the first time I had seen The Stones, so there was the excitement and bonding with friends over some great live rock.
But now on reflection, there are so many things about this tour that make it one of their most sloppiest, indulgent and uninspired moments in their live history. First, and foremost Mick. From his style, the stage outfits, looking so garishly preppy! Those incredibly tacky football pants, his knee pads (for what??), and Member's Only jacket. The WORST stage presence in Jagger's live history. Then his voice. Totally burnt out. He barked and huffed and puffed his way through the entire North American leg of the tour, and not until mid Europe did he even sound like Jagger. He was afflicted with that terribly Coke cold that left his voice in ruins! Then the stage. Garishly commercial with the bright pastels the fifties pop art that made them look so cheap. And the cherry picker.
Then the band, struggling to stay in tune and in sync for a majority of the time. Some great moments, but not near as consistent as they should have been. For me, I remember feeling somewhat cheated from not seeing the harder edged Stones from 78. And how they could go from being "punks" with a hard stripped down show, to a glamorized and sanitized version for the masses. The 81 tour is one of my least favorites visually.

Date: June 19, 2010 23:34

I agree w/ you about Micks voice on the tour from all the vids and boots I've heard. And yeah, my first time hearing an '82 boot - all of a sudden he's 'Mick-sounding' again. I love the Napoli boot!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 19, 2010 23:51

whitem8
The '81 tour is a hard one. Musically, there were glimpses of a hard boiled rock band. Some great returns for some songs, like Time is On My Side and Under My Thumb. This was the first time I had seen The Stones, so there was the excitement and bonding with friends over some great live rock.
But now on reflection, there are so many things about this tour that make it one of their most sloppiest, indulgent and uninspired moments in their live history. First, and foremost Mick. From his style, the stage outfits, looking so garishly preppy! Those incredibly tacky football pants, his knee pads (for what??), and Member's Only jacket. The WORST stage presence in Jagger's live history. Then his voice. Totally burnt out. He barked and huffed and puffed his way through the entire North American leg of the tour, and not until mid Europe did he even sound like Jagger. He was afflicted with that terribly Coke cold that left his voice in ruins! Then the stage. Garishly commercial with the bright pastels the fifties pop art that made them look so cheap. And the cherry picker.
Then the band, struggling to stay in tune and in sync for a majority of the time. Some great moments, but not near as consistent as they should have been.

well, when you put it that way, it makes me weep and nostalgic for 1981 all over again.....

Posted by: klaudio ()
Date: June 19, 2010 23:54

I saw them twice on this tour. They were great. It is very hard to capture
the true sound of the LIVE Stones on a recording. I will take those two shows
any day.

Keith actually played.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 20, 2010 00:51

HelterSkelter
tatters, Read the WHOLE thing, I DO mean 1994 - Nineteen Ninety Four........

PS. Everybody RAVES about the 1981 tour, Jagger in a silly as sh*t Football out fit, Stage set looking like a Jane Fonda workout studio. The bright pastel colors, the set list, PUKE - LET ME GO, 20 FLIGHT ROCK? HANG FIRE? COME ON !!!! GOING TO A GO-GO and BLACK LIMO were great but they added GO-GO later......

As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about. I think it MAY have something to do with how you've become a cranky old man who wonders "Where have all the good times gone"? If so, I say to you, "So what. Who cares. Join the club".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-20 01:12 by tatters.

Date: June 20, 2010 02:03

tatters
As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about. I think it MAY have something to do with how you've become a cranky old man who wonders "Where have all the good times gone"? If so, I say to you, "So what. Who cares. Join the club".

sorry.. I couldn't resist!

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home