Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Was
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 22:40

I'm not nearly as knowledgable on the Stones as everyone else here and I am wondering what to make of Don Was. In the new video, there is a bonus interviews section and he was talking about the vaults a little. I've also heard him discuss them before. Is he the man that will likely be in charge once the Stones are gone? Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Or- maybe there's someone else that will be doing it? Anyone heard? He pointed out that most other groups including the Beatles have opened the vaults like crazy and it seemed like he wants to the Stones to do this too. I know there are arguments about messing with the tracks and all that, but in general I kind of think he has the passion to see that they are released and in some kind of good way.

Re: Don Was
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:47

Don Was has been their producer since voodoo lounge and seems to be hated by alot of people here. i agree that it seems he has a alot of passion for the unreleased material in the vaults but i can't see him ever being completely in charge of anything stones related.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 27, 2010 04:50

I don't like Was (the producer, not the person) for the main reason I think he does a horrible job trying to produce the stones. Other than that, I don't know him.. I have nothing against him, just don't think he is the right guy for the job

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: peter ()
Date: June 27, 2010 08:36

I have to wonder about opinions concerning Don Was on this board...unless you are very familiar with what producers actually contribute to each project they accept, how can you possibly know if their ideas/opinions were accepted during the recording process ?...I read an interview in 94 with DW after he finished VL for the Stones...it was a very insighful discussion on what really goes on behind the scenes & if you can read between the lines, you can get a better idea about what went down in the studio during the 2 months it took to record VL..DW stated that his first interview with Mick & Keith was listening to them tell him that they ( the RS ) REALLY didn't need a producer, just someone to bounce ideas off of...so think about this...DW says I love this take, this sound but Mick & Keith have the final say...now think about this...not 1 but TWO (bootleg ) 4 disk box sets of out takes from VooDoo Lounge hit the market within weeks.....with SUPERB sound,liner notes,photos and...a totally different,superior mix of VL...in fact there is no comparison when you listen to the official vs. the boot....which IMHO is the DW version that obviously was not accepted.....peter

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 27, 2010 10:34

I've enjoyed the work of Don Was as a producer for a while, but his engineer of choice during the current ProTools era, Krish Sharma, doesn't quite do it for me. I believe the Stones should not have used it in recording ABB but remained on the console during the mixing stage.
Rik Pekkonen, Don Smith, Ed Cherney and Dan Bosworth were all more my cup of tea as engineers with Don Was producing.

Don's own band Was (Not Was) is great, too, especially lyrically (David Was) and vocally (Sweet Pea Atkinson). Their two hit albums from the 80s may sound cheesy now because of their drum arrangements and lack of real drumming, but the current lineup of the band is really good. I would go see them if they came to town.
I'd love to hear Keith Richards doing a lead vocal cameo on the next Was (Not Was) album. Here's hoping they make another album because their last, Boo!, was really good.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 27, 2010 16:11

Was got the job because he has an encyclpoedic knowledge of popular American music from the 50's and the 60's.

Dylan appreciated that too but he realized Was sucked at producing so the Zim fired him after just one disc. Obviously the Stones are a lot slower than Dylan on the intellectual side...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 27, 2010 20:17

....so slow in fact that Mick and Keith are each only worth about $150-$200M

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 27, 2010 22:33

>Dylan appreciated that too but he realized Was sucked at producing so the Zim fired him after just one disc.

This is somewhat misguided. Dylan didn't really work with *any* producer for @ 7 years after UNDER THE RED SKY. I don't think Was' methods impressed Dylan but it's not as if he was "fired" per se.

Dylan has mentioned he wants the second volume of CHRONICLES to include a chapter contrasting the sessions for UTRS with the recording of the second Traveling Wilburys album, which was being recorded simultaneously. I hope he follows through on this.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:00

Figures Dylan is going to waste ink on one of his worst albums (UTRS). In Chronicles I (much as I liked it) we get to hear all about Oh Mercy and nothing about Blonde on Blonde or Blood On The Tracks. The guy has a rather strange perspective on his own career.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:36

I think he was bemused by the contrast between the Heavy Hitters that Was confounded him with (Slash! Elton John! etc.) -- supposedly Dylan had no idea before he showed up who he'd be recording with; then he had the more laid-back, unpressured sessions with the Wilburys. The outcome doesn't matter, the story does; besides, the chapter on OH MERCY was my favorite of all Vol. 1. Maybe he was thinking he wanted to save BLONDE or whatever for a future volume (not sure if he would want to revisit BLOOD).

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:56

I wish he "Was" part of the Stones organization vs. being part of the Stones organization.........get it??? Was?? C'mon, thhese are the jokes people!!!

Was// To bad he IS part of it and not WAS part of it???? funny , righht? Help me out!

goodnight!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home