Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Only Ones!
Date: June 24, 2010 21:51

Any fans of this band around here? Their sound was pretty Stonesy so I'm sure some people around here like them. "Another Girl Another Planet" is an amazing tune.

Here's one of my favourites songs by the Only Ones. It's called "Someone Who Cares":

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 21:53 by Memo From Tina Turner.

Re: The Only Ones!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 24, 2010 21:57

I'm not a fan as such, but a more direct link with the Stones would be that John Perry wrote a pretty good book about Exile On Main Street a decade or so ago.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:02

They're not the only ones with mixed emotions

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:05

great band, though from the US perspective their discography is somewhat baffling. The disc I listen to most often is actually the Peel Sessions. And Perrett is a pretty sad case of wastage at this point, isn't he?

I do like Perry's (guitarist) book on Exile.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:11

Love the Only Ones. A band I was in back in the 90's recorded a version of their great b-side 'Oh No' for an lp. Whatever you make of Perrett's personal life, I think he's a very underrated tunesmith and John Perry is both a great guitar player and a fine writer of prose. One of only two Johnny Thunders gigs I saw ( wish there'd been more ) featured Perry getting up to jam on the encores. 'Twas a thrill.

Date: June 24, 2010 23:18

andrewm
Love the Only Ones. A band I was in back in the 90's recorded a version of their great b-side 'Oh No' for an lp. Whatever you make of Perrett's personal life, I think he's a very underrated tunesmith and John Perry is both a great guitar player and a fine writer of prose. One of only two Johnny Thunders gigs I saw ( wish there'd been more ) featured Perry getting up to jam on the encores. 'Twas a thrill.

Pete Perrett played guitar in some songs from Johnny Thunders' solo album "So Alone".

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:47

I saw them open for The Who in 1980, LA Sports Arena.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:58

Yes, that's true, Memo, and he also played gigs w/ JT over the years, most notably as part of the So Alone Revue, "promoting" that album. Come to think of it, Mike Kellie, the Only Ones' (and Spooky Tooth) drummer, played on So Alone, too. Perry also played on Johnny's great covers album with Patti Palladin, Copycats.

The Only Ones have been playing shows again for a few years now and keep talking about releasing a new album. They certainly do a lot of new songs live that sound fine. Also, and finally, Perrett's project from the 90's, The One, was really good, especially the album Woke Up Sticky (...must have been dreaming of you", great line !). It showed that Perrett's songwriting was still there despite having been dormant for a long time.

Date: June 25, 2010 00:43

I didn't know Perry played on "Copycats". I love that record. Good stuff.

I've never heard of Pete's project The One so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:41

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home