Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bernard Fowler concert review
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 4, 2010 10:21

place: Moonwalker Club, Aarburg Switzerland
band: Stevie Salas, TM Stevens, Dave Abbruzzese

First time I've seen Bernard fronting a band, and he does it very well. Of course the band is a bunch of all-stars, which helps. Early highlight "I'm only happy when it rains" (cover of song originally done by Garbage) - they put a hard rock spin on it that really worked. Salas is a tremendous guitar player and did two original songs without Bernard onstage midway through. His style sort of heavy medal funky - worked well well with Stevens' master funk bass lines and persona. Abbruzzee held up the back end quite well, though the drum sound in this club was poor.

Audience (maybe 3/4 full, 200 people) was into it, but show was only about 1 hour 20 minutes including encores. That was too short. The encores were stellar though: Love Song (didn't know this one) and I Don't Know Why (cover of obscure Stones song from Metamorphosis).

I would see them again, but would hope for longer set and also hope they record together as the combination works well.

Re: Bernard Fowler concert review
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 4, 2010 11:19

UGot2Rollme

The encores were stellar though: Love Song (didn't know this one) and I Don't Know Why (cover of obscure Stones song from Metamorphosis).

The stones' version of I don't know why might be obscure, but Stevie Wonder's original was quite a hit at the time!

C

Date: March 4, 2010 11:23

didn't know that was a Stevie Wonder song!
The arrangement they did last night was quite different than Metamorphosis. I think Salas worked up the arrangement - nice guitar interludes. maybe clower to the original?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 4, 2010 12:11

i saw several of his shows in the US and also appreciated "i'm only happy when it rains", considering it was a rainy weekend.

did he sing "i gotta go" which he says is about ronnie and joe?

SO GLAD to hear there were 200 people. a few of his midwest shows were sparse. he's gotta leave the country to get some appreciation!

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: March 4, 2010 13:32

UGot2Rollme:
Bernard and Stevie Salas (and Dave and T.M. on 1 or 2 songs I believe) can be heard together on the CD Nickelbag - 12 Hits and a bump (re-released as "Mas Feedback" )
Get it, it's great, sounds like the actual live shows and it contains "Don't know"!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-04 13:33 by MrBird65.

Date: March 4, 2010 15:18

little queenie
did he sing "i gotta go" which he says is about ronnie and joe?

SO GLAD to hear there were 200 people. a few of his midwest shows were sparse. he's gotta leave the country to get some appreciation!

yes, he did sing I Gotta Go (but didn't mention Ronnie or Jo). Alot of charimsa but not alot of stage banter from Bernard, made a joke about being called Bernhardt (German for Bernard), had their guitar tech come out for applause because it was the last public gig of their Euro tour. They're playing a private party in St. Moritz tonight.

I was happy with the attendance, too, as the club is kind of in the middle of nowhere...

Thanks MrBird65 for your tip on Nickelbag CD!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home