Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT The Thread of Fun & Danger
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 20, 2010 20:09

What was the craziest thing you did just for the sheer pleasure of doing it?

Let me start the dice tumbling by telling the humble and not-hard-to-beat tale of a hot summer's night many moons ago.

I was with a group of friends travelling in a car looking for entertainment of whatever sort we could find. Don't ask me how or where, but we came across a roll of cardboard tube about 5 feet (getting on for 2 metres) in length and 4 inches (100mm) in diameter. It was just like the tube inside a toilet roll apart from its larger dimensions.

Having got as much of it as we could inside the car, the driver took us round the streets and slowed down as we came behind a single person or a couple in front of us. Can you guess what happened next?

Yes, we gave them a cheery bash from behind and drove off laughing. No lasting damage was done, apart from one minor death, and everyone involved had a story to tell the next day.

Behaviour of a childish, pathetic and hilarious nature. Well, perhaps you had to be there.

If a victim or member of the police force is reading this, it wasn't me who did it. It was someone else.

I'm sure there are many IORRians who have got a better anecdote to tell so let's hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 22:37 by Harlem Shuffler.

Re: OT I Go Wild
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 21, 2010 01:10

I've done so many things that I should have been committed for .

One example , in the '80's I used to drink heavily and smoke weed whenever I could . One of my favorite pastimes after I had indulged , especially when it was snowing was to drive home from the bar ( about 20 miles ) without headlights . The street that I drove was called Dead Horse Hill . It was very steep and winding and contained very few streetlights at the time , I took it as a challenge . Well I was truly blessed to have made that trek many times witout hitting a tree or an oncoming car . And was also blessed not to have been spotted by the police . You think back at the stuff you did and can only shake your head .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 21, 2010 01:11

Harlem Shuffler

Despite having no real prior experience, I got in the ring, when I was in my 40s, with a professional wrestler. Sort of a George Plimpton-inspired adventure, if you know who that is.

Date: February 21, 2010 11:34

tatters
Harlem Shuffler

Despite having no real prior experience, I got in the ring, when I was in my 40s, with a professional wrestler. Sort of a George Plimpton-inspired adventure, if you know who that is.

You did that for pleasure,tatters? Sounds pretty scary to me!

Date: February 21, 2010 17:00

Harlem Shuffler
tatters
Harlem Shuffler

You did that for pleasure,tatters? Sounds pretty scary to me!

I did it thinking I might write a magazine piece about professional wrestlers who work the "indy" (short for independent) circuit, as opposed to "the big fed" (WWE). In short, the sort of guys portrayed in the movie "The Wrestler". I never did write anything, though. I was too badly concussed to remember much about it.

George Plimpton, in case anyone doesn't know, was a writer/weekend athlete who famously tried out for the Detroit Lions football team so he could write a book about it. (It eventually was made into a movie called "Paper Lion" starring Alan Alda.) Other things he did so he could write about them included pitching to the New York Yankees, and boxing former light heavyweight champion Archie Moore. I think he also once performed with the New York Philharmonic, playing the triangle. That wasn't one of his better-known adventures. He should have played cowbell in a rock band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-21 17:50 by tatters.

Date: February 28, 2010 15:03

Thank you, boston2006 and tatters for sharing your deeds.
You've certainly improved on my my cardboard tube story.

Surely there are other IORRians who have a story to tell. I can't believe a Rolling Stones fan site is visited exclusively by the well-behaved.

Date: February 28, 2010 15:50

Maybe you should change the subject line of this thread. Everyone thinks it's about the SONG I Go Wild, which is not that highly regarded.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 28, 2010 15:55

tatters
the SONG I Go Wild, which is not that highly regarded.

I'm not so sure about that. Many people (myself included) think this is a fantastic, kick-ass song, one of the best from the Stones in the past 20 years.

Drew

Date: February 28, 2010 16:04

drewmaster
tatters
the SONG I Go Wild, which is not that highly regarded.

I'm not so sure about that. Many people (myself included) think this is a fantastic, kick-ass song, one of the best from the Stones in the past 20 years.

Drew

Maybe I'm thinking of some other song everyone here seems not to like. You Got Me Rocking, perhaps?

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: February 28, 2010 20:09

Went beyond the Known in my drunkenness back in 86;
biker's party and oool' Bab'.. sorry - BOMP jammed and
sang with the band backstage and started gettin into a rage,
maybe after some too heavy home-rolled cigarettes..
Wanted to pee inside in that biker's headquarter, which wasnt too appreciated.

Last I remembered was that me & another dude sttod and started thru a entrnce doors window glass in a shop.
It was after I had been thrown outta the party
(this I had resumed for me next day).

Next thing I knew was when I woke up.. In a shop.
Blood and stuff everywhere. I had found a sofa. Lucky for me
it was Sunday and therefore closed.

I sneeked thru the doors with the broken glass; went back for my jacket
at the place while I with poundin' brain developed a slight
depression contemplating these two facts: the white jeans I wore..
that at least was white the day before.. and that my parents was at my place awaiting. Took a cab to my friend and was lucky he could borrow me a pair of trousers. This is a thing to remember, aint it?

Date: February 28, 2010 22:39

tatters
Maybe you should change the subject line of this thread. Everyone thinks it's about the SONG I Go Wild, which is not that highly regarded.

I've taken your advice, tatters.

It's changed from I GO WILD to THE THREAD OF FUN & DANGER.

Re: OT The Thread of Fun & Danger
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 28, 2010 22:47

Flew in an old Boeing Stearman bi-plane once. Did a few loops, etc.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: February 28, 2010 22:53

when i was a young lad i was an excellent archer. liked to go out in the backyard and shoot arrows straight up just to see where they would land. lots of times, they would go up so high you would lose track of them, so you'd have to run undercover to make sure you would not get hit. really used to piss the neighbors off!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 1, 2010 17:02

Edith Grove

And what happened after the "few loops" ?

I 've tried to steal that one a few days ago ...

.....but they immediately began to chase me cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 1, 2010 19:00

SwayStones
Edith Grove

And what happened after the "few loops" ?

Well, I ate breakfast after the plane ride, if that's what you're talking about!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home