Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: AMP QUESTION. USING 2 Amps At Once
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 20, 2010 22:56

Hello all,
I am wondering if this is possible and if so, how do I do it.

I own a Fender Blues Junior and a no name tube amp from the late 1950s-early 1960s.

I would like to be able to run my guitar through one amp that amo run into the other amp. I would like to run my guitar into the Blues Junior and somehow have the Blues Junior connected to the "no name (NN)" or the other way around.

Basically , I guess, using the Junior as a pre-amp to the no name. Or visa versa.

The no name is probably 5 watts and the Fender is 15. There is one channel on the Fender but 2 instrument inputs on NN.

I do have a chorus pedal but that has not acheived the desired effect. That palys them both at the same time

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you

Re: OT: AMP QUESTION. USING 2 Amps At Once
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:06

Cafaro
Hello all,
I am wondering if this is possible and if so, how do I do it.

I own a Fender Blues Junior and a no name tube amp from the late 1950s-early 1960s.

I would like to be able to run my guitar through one amp that amo run into the other amp. I would like to run my guitar into the Blues Junior and somehow have the Blues Junior connected to the "no name (NN)" or the other way around.

Basically , I guess, using the Junior as a pre-amp to the no name. Or visa versa.

The no name is probably 5 watts and the Fender is 15. There is one channel on the Fender but 2 instrument inputs on NN.

I do have a chorus pedal but that has not acheived the desired effect. That palys them both at the same time

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you

You can not slave the Junior to the other amp as there is no slave out. You can use a splitter of any sort to run both amps at the same time, but not use the pre-amp of the Junior to run the power amp of the other one.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:09

The guitarists in my band play through two amps all the time, from their arrays of pedals, I guess. The two guitarists play with an amp on each side of the stage, which is nice for me (drums) as I get to hear both nice and clearly. How do you like your Fender Blues Jr? I am looking for a used one of these (I own a tele and nothing to play it through at the moment), and I have heard only good things... it's such a popular amp, too.

Date: June 20, 2010 23:56

Thanks Mathjis. I had a feeling that was the answer.

Tate, the BJ is a good amp although it takes a lot to overdrive it. I have the Texas Red and it comes with a Celestion speaker and that makes a difference when playing loud. It definately gives more definition on open chords.

I like the reverb too. To me, the only downsides are a lack of heavy bass and too much clean head room. You need to push the volume up to 8-9 to get a single coil to overdrive it. Another one of the good things about it is it doesnt take over the guitar's sound. A Tele sounds like a Tele, Les Paul like a Les Paul, etc.

The other thing I really like is because of this, as a new player, you are able to (or forced to) build your own sound vs. sounding like someone else. I dont know of that makes sense to you.It;s not laden with effects and samples etc.. so you can sound like you. Does that make sense? If you want to know more, email me.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 21, 2010 00:47

>>The no name is probably 5 watts and the Fender is 15. There is one channel on the Fender but 2 instrument inputs on NN.<<

Since the No Name amp has 2 instrument inputs (I suppose it's Hi-Z an low-Z) you can plug youtr guitar into input #1 plug a lead into #2 and connect that with the Blues jr input.
you'll be able to dial in 2 different sounds.

Date: June 21, 2010 01:38

Thanks open-g . Ill try that. But if I get blown up, I'll never speak to you again smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2010 01:47

Lol

no worries though, i hook up my Champ and GA-5 like that.

Date: June 22, 2010 16:51

open-g
>>The no name is probably 5 watts and the Fender is 15. There is one channel on the Fender but 2 instrument inputs on NN.<<

Since the No Name amp has 2 instrument inputs (I suppose it's Hi-Z an low-Z) you can plug youtr guitar into input #1 plug a lead into #2 and connect that with the Blues jr input.

But you will double the load on the pickups, and this can make them sound quite dead.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:19

open-g

Keith did just that at Rock and Roll Circus. Guitar - Triumph - Vox

Sometimes produces loads of hum or sounds crap though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:38

Mathijs
open-g

But you will double the load on the pickups, and this can make them sound quite dead.

Mathijs
Mathijs,why is that ? when i was a kid i used to do this when i had two twin reverbs .please explain?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 22, 2010 19:38

Hi Greek. The amps are seen by the pickups as a impedance, which is essentially resistance over frequency. With two amps in the signal chain, the impedance is increased and so creates more of an resistive load that can affect the signal to the amp. Most amp/guitar combos have some impedance mismatch. Impedance matching matches the input and output loads so the power transfer can be maximized and reflections can be kept to a minimum. The more or less impedance on the input (amps) as seen by the output (pickups) the greater the mismatch. I hope this makes sense!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 22, 2010 19:43

ChrisM
Hi Greek. The amps are seen by the pickups as a impedance, which is essentially resistance over frequency. With two amps in the signal chain, the impedance is increased and so creates more of an resistive load that can affect the signal to the amp. Most amp/guitar combos have some impedance mismatch. Impedance matching matches the input and output loads so the power transfer can be maximized and reflections can be kept to a minimum. The more or less impedance on the input (amps) as seen by the output (pickups) the greater the mismatch. I hope this makes sense!
hi ChrisM . thank you for your very detailed and articulate answer .you made a very good explantion .mucho gracias !!!!!!!

Date: June 22, 2010 20:00

Mathijs
open-g

Mathijs

Double the load on the pickups? No way - it's marginal. just give it a try.

>>Don't worry about loading your guitar down with the input circuits of two or three tube amps. The effects on the guitar's tone are minimal, easily compensated with the EQ on the amps, and more than overcome by the radical expansion in the complexity of the sound that you'll get by running multiple amps. If you want, you can spend two or three hundred dollars on specialty devices that fix this problem (and most of the others that I'll mention). Personally, I wouldn't bother.<<
[psg.com]

Date: June 22, 2010 22:14

open-g
Mathijs
open-g

Mathijs

Double the load on the pickups? No way - it's marginal. just give it a try.

>>Don't worry about loading your guitar down with the input circuits of two or three tube amps. The effects on the guitar's tone are minimal, easily compensated with the EQ on the amps, and more than overcome by the radical expansion in the complexity of the sound that you'll get by running multiple amps. If you want, you can spend two or three hundred dollars on specialty devices that fix this problem (and most of the others that I'll mention). Personally, I wouldn't bother.<<
[psg.com]

Well, I've had mixed results. With single coils its not so bad, but humbuckers really sounded like a blanket was droppped over them. Not to mention the ground loops created most of the time! Buy a $50 buffered ABY switch and all problems are solved.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2010 22:25

Mathijs
Well, I've had mixed results.

Not to mention the ground loops created most of the time!

Mathijs

Same here!

Is this ground loop thing the reason why I got lots of hum with some amp combinations?

Date: June 22, 2010 22:59

His Majesty
Mathijs
Well, I've had mixed results.

Not to mention the ground loops created most of the time!

Mathijs

Same here!

Is this ground loop thing the reason why I got lots of hum with some amp combinations?

It is. Some people then pull the ground from one amp. But spill some beer on the pickups or make ground with the microphone stand nad you'll feel 550 volts running through your spine.

Mathijs

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 22, 2010 23:25

Cafaro
Thanks open-g . Ill try that. But if I get blown up, I'll never speak to you again smiling smiley

Funny.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 22, 2010 23:31

Hi Mathijs

I have a Deluxe reverb reissue. Can I plug the lead from the guitar into input 1 of the non reverb channel and then take a lead from the second input on that channel to input 1 of the reverb channel? How will this affect the amp and more importantly will I break my baby.

Thanks

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: June 23, 2010 00:03

Mathijs

Well, I've had mixed results. With single coils its not so bad, but humbuckers really sounded like a blanket was droppped over them. Not to mention the ground loops created most of the time! Buy a $50 buffered ABY switch and all problems are solved.

Mathijs

Ah, I see - I haven't tried it with humbuckers.
as for the ground loop humming - both amps should be plugged to the same AC-strip.
if it still hums - forget about the setup.

..and yeah, never ever pull the ground wire.

Date: June 23, 2010 00:14

NickB
Hi Mathijs

I have a Deluxe reverb reissue. Can I plug the lead from the guitar into input 1 of the non reverb channel and then take a lead from the second input on that channel to input 1 of the reverb channel? How will this affect the amp and more importantly will I break my baby.

Thanks

The channels are out of phase on Fender amps with 'verb, trem, or likewise.
It will sound something between terrible and different.
you can try it and wont break your amp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home