Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LSTNT- The Stones best concert film?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 8, 2008 05:31

I say it is. The discussion of Shine A light got me to thinking about this. Martin Scorscese is a great director but IMO there really is nothing that spectacular about the way SAL is filmed except for the shot where the camera stays on Buddy Guy. Lets Spend the Night Together on the other hand is full of great moments. I think it is a much better example of a film maker combining his art with what the stones do. The outdoor footage at Sun Devil Stadium Looks fantastic. "Neighbors" really sticks out to me as a part of the show that is captured brilliantly. During the bridge of the song Mick Jagger Runs across the stage and rather than cutting from camera to camera as he makes his way across, one camera just follows him stopping when Mick moves sideways and it is a very unusual view from the side. At times he is in and out of focus but the end result is really cool. I have never seen another shot like this in any concert film. It just seems in General Hal Ashby had a really good sense of when the Magic Moments happen when the stones are on stage and is able to capture them. The picutre and sound go together pefrectly.The HI-FI VHS version sounds great. Live At The Max and the Austin Bigger Bang show have a real "movie" look to them but the sound just seems too perfect and it doesn't feel like I'm watching a concert. LSTNT has that movie feel too, yet it is much more natural. theres a couple times when Mick has the mic in his hand and moves the hand thats holding it and you hear feadback. Its really cool how they left that in there, it gives you a real up close experience. It does have its flaws: bizzare edits, sped up tape, and strange montage during Time is on My side, but all in all, to me this is the most well done of all Stones Concert Films.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 07:32 by ryanpow.

Re: LSTNT- The Stones best concert film?
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: December 8, 2008 05:39

Too many songs shortened by edits for my taste

Posted by: no spare yaps ()
Date: December 8, 2008 14:43

Its the best official one ever.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 8, 2008 14:58

Come on..... the Pay per view (Hampton Roads, Virginia was better than Hal Ashby's disjointed, none smooth - flowing effort). The Best one is GIMME SHELTER for sure..... BTW, did you guys know that The Stones put out a few albums before SOME GIRLS? Honest, check it out.....

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 8, 2008 15:00

Much as I love most of Hal Ashby's work, I reckon LSTNT is the worst Stones movie.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 8, 2008 15:07

Tseverin
Much as I love most of Hal Ashby's work, I reckon LSTNT is the worst Stones movie.

Yeah, Hal Ashby made some great films - BEING THERE, COMING HOME, etc... problem is, he REALLY stumbled on LSTNT, I don't know what it is but the film doesn't work - it's choppy, doesn't flow AT ALL, ALL the Pay per views are better 1981/1989/1994/1997...... Ladies and Gentleman is a better film

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 8, 2008 15:14

Visually its absolutely brilliant, but editing-wise, a nightmare. What was it - 22 songs condensed into a film with a running time of 90 minutes? Absurd.

cant recall compare a concert film to a live telecast, though, so the comparisons with Hampton and the other PPV shows are a bit unrealistic.

As far as I'm aware, there are are 5 Stones 'concert films' - ie, the ones which got a public cinematic release - Gimme Shelter, L&G, LSTNT, At The Max and Shine A Light.

The first two are the best by far. "At The Max" only works well in the IMAX format.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 8, 2008 15:17

i liked LSTNT,the only problem for me was how all the songs were edited and shortened which i dont like.the begining when just before the curtain goes up mick is chatting for a moment with woody and then he kicks him in the bum is pretty funny to me .

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:21

I personally(my own "slanted" opinion) think L&G is the best Stones concert film but I just wish the filming or video technology had been there in 72 to give it as fine a look as the 81 tour effort.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:28

Visually and sound wise Shine A Light is their best. Performance wise...At The Max is their best. Band wise - screw ups, flying, destroying songs, hilarity, doing some interesting things musically, LSTNT is their best.

Gimme Shelter is the best Stones movie.

I saw L&G,TRS on bootleg so the only thing I can say about that is that one might be the most interesting in terms of what the band does...

@#$%& Blues...eh, I dunno. I liked Mick doing Hold you like china....

Of the PPVs the Bridges show was probably their best, with the Licks right behind it.

Performance wise, as in a live video, multi-DVD releases? Flicks.

Single DVD release? Bridges.

It's all over the shop.

Date: December 8, 2008 17:31

scottkeef
I personally(my own "slanted" opinion) think L&G is the best Stones concert film but I just wish the filming or video technology had been there in 72 to give it as fine a look as the 81 tour effort.

thats exactly the point Im making. the filming and qualtiy of it are the best. the 72 tour would make for a better movie if L&G had looked this good.

As for Gimmie Shelter, I consider that more of a documentary than a concert film. the footage of the show is really good. I think it has about five or six total songs with lots of other footage inbetween. it is an excellent movie, but I just dont see it as a concert movie the way L&G or LSTNT are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 17:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:45

Gazza
Visually its absolutely brilliant, but editing-wise, a nightmare. What was it - 22 songs condensed into a film with a running time of 90 minutes? Absurd.

cant recall compare a concert film to a live telecast, though, so the comparisons with Hampton and the other PPV shows are a bit unrealistic.

As far as I'm aware, there are are 5 Stones 'concert films' - ie, the ones which got a public cinematic release - Gimme Shelter, L&G, LSTNT, At The Max and Shine A Light.

The first two are the best by far. "At The Max" only works well in the IMAX format.

Any reason why L and G has yet to get official video/DVD release??

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:48

I dunno, I think the 4 Reels is probably the best we will get to a "official" release( ands its pretty damn good considering what we had before)

Date: December 8, 2008 17:51

jlowe
Gazza

Any reason why L and G has yet to get official video/DVD release??

Probably Jagger's age-old aversion to archive releases, which is something of a paradox for an artist content to milk the nostalgia element for all its worth.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 8, 2008 18:05

I liked LSTNT at the time i think it was about 1983 when i brought it, so i was grateful for any film of the stones in concert.
But nowadays i go for four flicks, just perfect.
The msg show with songs like if you cant rock me,
midnight rambler, and monkey man, its just heaven.
The biggest bang dvd is ok, so is sal,but i would put
four flicks above everything.

Date: December 8, 2008 18:33

Have any of these 4 films ever made it to the main (ie 4) UK television channels?
I assume the Stones would have to give permission, well perhaps not to GS.
What about a BBC2 Stones night?

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: December 8, 2008 18:42

Gimme Shelter is Better. - Shine a Light is One Big Mick Jagger Show!.

Date: December 8, 2008 18:48

What about CS Blues - how do people rate it?
Not strictly a concert film though I guess.

Date: December 8, 2008 18:51

jlowe
Have any of these 4 films ever made it to the main (ie 4) UK television channels?
I assume the Stones would have to give permission, well perhaps not to GS.
What about a BBC2 Stones night?

I've seen LSTNT and Gimme Shelter on 'mainstream' TV in the UK.

Gimme Shelter has been on several times - on BBC and on Channel 4.

LSTNT was shown at Christmas a few years ago, I think.

The Stones wouldnt have to give permission in each case, as its' not "their" film.

BBC (as well as a few satellite channels) have tended to show a few Stones related programmes when they're touring here, but a BBC4 Stones night some Friday similar to what has been done lately with other acts is long overdue.

Date: December 8, 2008 18:55

jlowe

Overhyped in every way. Nowhere near as shocking as the title would like to imply. Although the scene with the girl pleasuring herself on the bed is er.. intriguing.

A curio and nothing more - with most of the infamous scenes being quite obviously staged for the camera.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 8, 2008 19:02

Gazza
jlowe

Overhyped in every way. Nowhere near as shocking as the title would like to imply. Although the scene with the girl pleasuring herself on the bed is er.. intriguing.

A curio and nothing more - with most of the infamous scenes being quite obviously staged for the camera.

i commend anyone who can sit through this movie in its entirety without nodding off several times.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 8, 2008 19:12

This LSTNT thread occurs regularly here,which I don´t mind.

I like the movie and I don´t know why.

Again I recommend the universal DVD 2006 release,although the strange brazilian
version with funny subtitles isn´t bad at all but surprisingly not neccessarily
cheaper.

But I will never forgive that awful ADTL version and the horribly shortened Brown Sugar.

Date: December 8, 2008 19:13

CB is awful but it, just like all of the others, does have some interesting things in it.

I saw LSTNT at the library in Amsterdam. So obviously it's been released in Europe in a official way. Why not the States? That pisses me off.

Date: December 8, 2008 19:35

shortfatfanny

But I will never forgive that awful ADTL version and the horribly shortened Brown Sugar.

I agree with you about Brown Sugar But ADTL is great in this movie, I consider it one of the highlights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 19:35 by ryanpow.

Date: December 8, 2008 19:37

skipstone

I saw LSTNT at the library in Amsterdam. So obviously it's been released in Europe in a official way. Why not the States? That pisses me off.

It was officially released here, they just stopped making copies of it a while back. I remember about 10 years ago in the store.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 8, 2008 21:44

I don't know if it's the best, I know that I have an affection towards it, at the time of it's release onto video I was off work with a severe case of sinusitis and I went down to the video hire shop in my local town looking for something to cheer my self up with , I saw LSTNT hired it out for a week and thoroughly lost myself enjoying all that good music, doesn't matter if it's edited badly or shortened to make things fit better into the standard 90 mins, at the time nothing else could touch it for me.
I went on to buy it on Betamax, VHS Brazilian DVD and now a Canal+/Universal DVD release.
It's my son's favourite Stones movie as well

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 9, 2008 00:51

While LSTNT is a great watch, the sped up and edited songs are not really a pleasure to listen to. Especially the fast ones like SSC and ADTL sounds pretty ridiculous imo.

Best Stones concert film?

Gimme Shelter or Ladies & Gentlemen.

Date: December 9, 2008 01:00

I always found SSC to be the most amusing thing I've ever heard!

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 9, 2008 05:07

Gimmie shelter is not a concert film... its the best rock n roll movie along with dylan's dont look back...

I think visually LSTNT has some awesome shots... mick looks ridiculous in the lemon yellow tights and the cherry picker... Bill Grahams last great tour.

I think the best concert musically was the miami show in 94... I was there too... At the max its great musically .. Bill Wymans last piece before leaving the greatest rythm section in history.. I miss that old dirty man...

Shine a LIght is the worst stones music performance ever...

Its all about the music...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 9, 2008 14:50

Hands down the best concert film made by the Stones was "Ladies and Gentlemen". A pity that many of you didn't get to see this when it made it's tour with the massive Quad sound system. I saw it 3 times in 2 weeks when it played in Chicago. If you saw the film with that lay out, well it didn't get any better than that. Arguably, this was the Stones at their peak musically. It's all there in the film. While the band has not released this yet on DVD,(ABKCO yet again?) the latest boots of this movie have wonderful 5.1 sound, and when its played on a quality home sound system you get to feel the power of the original release.

Otherwise, Live at the Max was damn good too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home