Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Scorpio 6 CD release -
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 10, 2010 02:18

Thanks a lot, Erik!>grinning smiley<

What about the sound quality of the the box?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 10, 2010 02:32

rootsman

Completely silent - but if I tap on it with my fingers it says tap tap tap

Date: July 10, 2010 02:33

rootsman

No seriously, it's of course a great box

Most of it from best possible sources, but surprisingly; not every single track is

Posted by: oldman24 ()
Date: July 10, 2010 13:54

"Most of it from best possible sources, but surprisingly; not every single track "is

Which tracks are from inferior sources and are there any digital clicks or other problems found on the discs?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 10, 2010 15:31

"Completely silent - but if I tap on it with my fingers it says tap tap tap"
Now that's a good one!

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: July 10, 2010 18:33

I'd say the percentage of tracks that are from good/excellent sources is in the 70-80 percent range[i've listened to about 5 of the 6 discs so far].

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 12, 2010 17:13

scottkeef
Godfather has some very nice pkging AND the are real silvers but I havent seen them come up with anything new or different. They misrepresent sometimes.Like calling most of their Wien 9-1-73 recording (GR 334/335) a sb when it was just a clone of the Vinyl Gang audience recording. I bought my first bootleg in 1973............

I actually hace Itchy Fingers in my collection and it's a very nice release with the great artwork! Correct on Godfather bringing nothing new recently but they actually release major upgrades of older stuff LONG out of print at an affordable price and WAY better affordable and presented than the VGP shit which is overpriced!

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:15

susannewortmann
they actually release major upgrades of older stuff LONG out of print

Which ones?

susannewortmann
the VGP shit which is overpriced!

Really?
On ebay some VGPs are going at far superior prices than "retail" price...

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 13, 2010 13:20

Essen 70, Madrid 90, Through The Vaults, their amazing Hawai 73 and I just got Court Order in, an amazing El Mocambo soundboard with superior outtakes as a bonus!

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 13, 2010 15:48

I love Itchy Fingers, Made In The Shade, Brussels Affair Definitive Edition, and the sessions for IORR and GHS. The alternative mixes for IORR are ecellent, sound better than the official release IMO. There is another cool little bootleg out there called "100% Odds and Sods" or something like that, sometimes it flies by different names.. It has some dodgy quality audio but the selections are very entertaining, such as the "Brown Sugar" press conference on the back of the truck, "Loveliest Night Of The Year" version of Happy, and the Japanese Beggars Banquet flexidisc interview... Its the kind of bootleg I can put on and Stones fans say "What the hell is this?!"

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: July 13, 2010 16:44

cool smileyI got my copy today!! 563 of 1000! I have´t listened to all of it yet. It´s 34 degrees here in southern Sweden. As far as I can tell the quality is very good.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 19, 2010 00:04

Erik mentioned a few "suprises (but not many)" on this release, but so far, I was not able to discover more than the already mentioned "Johnny B. Goode".

Anyone out there who is able to point me in the right direction?

Date: July 19, 2010 11:11

Its currently being shared for free (in FLAC of course) at Hungercity by a generous soul smileys with beer

Date: July 19, 2010 12:32

dcba
Its currently being shared for free (in FLAC of course) at Hungercity by a generous soul smileys with beer

I know! But thanks for the info anyway...

No, my question is what the other "surprises" besides Johnny B. Goode are...as there are no previously unreleased tracks/versions, these must be quality upgrades, new tape sources or the like.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: July 19, 2010 13:09

dcba

Thx for the heads up, almost missed it. He is a generous soul isn't he

Date: July 19, 2010 23:45

I guess that until now, a few hundred people have downloaded it already - so, again: Is there anything on there besides Johnny B. Goode that has not been available before or at least least in a different/longer version/mix, or better sound quality than ever before?

So far, I have only noticed some stuff that is NOT from the best possible source which is amazing because the stuff in question is quite common!

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:03

New are from 1961 Johnny B. Goode and a complete On your way to school (=Wee baby blues) on Disc 1. Probably Little queenie and Beautiful Delilah are different from the earlier released tracks. Little queenie is here 3:13 (first released version is 4:38), Beautiful Delilah is 3:00 (first released version: 2:18). Anyone to (dis)agree?
It seems that we still miss from the tape (auctioned in 1995, cf. Basement News 13, June 1995, page 36) complete versions of La Bamba, You're right I'm left She's gone & I ain't got you (take 2).
Alex.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:06

Little Queenie and Beautiful Delilah are different takes!smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 09:24

The piece below was posted on one of the torrent sites which the Scorpio box is posted on....do you believe it ?

A story I must tell ya, last weekend I was on the same British
Airways flight from Capetown into London as did Mick
Jagger. We had both attented the World Cup and chatted
along over football (soccer for those @ the US of A).
And I told him about this box set. He was really interested
in it, so we checked HC 10 000 feet above ground. He could
not believe it and wanted to download it as well for commercial
release. He said, they not have new stuff in the pipeline for X-mas,
but to release this 6 CD box set would be a nice idea.
Even at a budget price. "The fans buy all kind of of crap, even
the 10 songs from EOMS....", so why not give them
the real stuff.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 20, 2010 14:50

Since you posted your bit twice, I thought I'd do the same...

Of course it's bullshit to help sales for Scorpio. First off, the majority of the tracks are not even owned by the Stones. Secondly, large chunks of it are officially available already (nothing endears artists to bootleggers than having official product ripped off). Third, Jagger has always kept up-to-date on bootlegs. As soon as he heard this set he would quickly realize that despite the nice packaging, superior quality versions of numerous tracks are already available on countless other bootlegs - the majority on this very site for free with the band's own blessing or official blind-eye depending on how you look at it. A nice fantasy story, but nothing more. Wonder if it was the same guy Jagger "talked" to in 1983 about how their music is designed to make young people have illegitimate children. Same method, different story. Both are BS.

Date: July 20, 2010 14:57

And now the punchline courtesy of "machadaynu" of Hungercity :

"This set has been shoddily compiled from lossy sources (and not even particularly *good* lossy sources). I've checked a representative sampling of tracks (both here and where this set has been uploaded on other trackers), and every single thing shows the characteristic frequency cut-off of an MP3 sourced track. Moreover, this is obvious on listening, as many tracks display obvious MP3 artifacts that suggest multiple layers of lossy compression.

As this upload was pulled directly from the "silver" discs, we can only assume that all iterations of the set are like this. A true shame: this looked pretty comprehensive, although with some questionable track selection (say, using the actual Metamorphosis versions of tracks instead of the pre-overdub versions). You are way better off grabbing the source discs for this set--the Satanic Sessions, the old Black Box, the Time Trips--than this.

So again: great upload. But this set has major, major problems"

Imho the "Genuine" Scorpio guys (LOL!) got their source material from mp3 forums like Guitars101...

Case closed as far as I'm concerned and best of luck to the poor bugge... I mean souls who opened their wallet for this "thing".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 15:01 by dcba.

Date: July 20, 2010 15:36

"you think that it's the fake Scorpio, I amongst others on this board know it's not. So let me ask you if it is 100% real Scorpio will you buy it ? or will you wait until someone else buys it and uploads it to a torrent site"

I'll do neither. And I pity the wholesalers who end up with dozens of mp3-sourced boxes and who dont knwo who they're going to sell them to...

It reminds me of Dylan's "GBS vol.4" (also on "genuine" Scorpio) whose arrival on the street was precedented by a sly marketing campaign ("dozens of new tracks, a landmark release, get your copy NOW!" ).
When it suddenly became obvious this set was made of well-known material at 90%, well let me quote Monicadude here...

"The [Dylan] set has barely hit the street and the boot dealers have begun to panic, which is the clearest sign yet that this set is a big disappointment."

History repeats itself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 15:37 by dcba.

Date: July 20, 2010 16:25

Hi dcba, just wanted to say that the box is not *lossy* but heavy-handedly processed.....just like a lot of official CD releases - only to a bigger extent.
It's not MP3 sourced or *lossy* - despite of what one of the downloaders said. It might resemble an "MP3" cut graph, but not if you look a little closer.
....I don't know much about this stuff, but that's what the experts say - at the HC forum.

Date: July 20, 2010 16:38

alimente
I guess that until now, a few hundred people have downloaded it already - so, again: Is there anything on there besides Johnny B. Goode that has not been available before or at least least in a different/longer version/mix, or better sound quality than ever before?

So far, I have only noticed some stuff that is NOT from the best possible source which is amazing because the stuff in question is quite common!

Hi alimente, it's just the Little Boy Blue & The Blue Boys material, that appears to be "new".

And yes....I allready pointed out that some tracks are not taken from best possible sources......either taken from vinyl, or from "old bootleg releases". Somewhat disappointing. Also....how come they include a "faded in" I Don't Know Why ? Is it taken from Metamorphosis.....it DOES have that "tail". Haven't dared to listen to that exact track more than once, as I was so disappointed.

Neat compilation - but obviously a job done in *a hurry* OR by people without such good knowledge of the bootleg material out there.

Beautiful artwork though....especially the booklets.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 21, 2010 15:10

What's somewhat amazing is that the new Little Boy Blue tracks appear to be lossy too. Lossy or not, to me the unearthing of these tracks is a nice surprise. Anybody know where these new tracks first surfaced?

Thanks Erik for the effort of sharing this Scorpioset!

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 21, 2010 15:12

good point Britney- big thanks to Erik for sharing the Scorpioset. I've been playing "Johnny B Goode" to people and asking them to guess who it is! ...this has been a really interesting thread

Date: July 21, 2010 20:24

Britney
What's somewhat amazing is that the new Little Boy Blue tracks appear to be lossy too. Lossy or not, to me the unearthing of these tracks is a nice surprise. Anybody know where these new tracks first surfaced?

Thanks Erik for the effort of sharing this Scorpioset!

Thanks, Britney, just a pleasure

Can't remember the title of the first CD that featured those Little Boy Blue tracks. But they were shortly afterwards released by VGP....which was the first CD I heard of that material

It's not that amazing that these "new tracks" of Little Boy Blue were lossy.....Rolling Stones didn't have much money or professional equipment in 1961/1962 - before they became famous, so I guess they recorded these tracks on an ipod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 20:45 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 21, 2010 21:11

HA HA HA!!

Date: July 22, 2010 00:59

"Can't remember the title of the first CD that featured those Little Boy Blue tracks"

Wasn't it "How Britain Got The Blues" on the Bad Wizard/Scorpio label (I mean genuine Scorpio)?
I remember my dealer who got them straight from the U.S. was charging a premium for them "cos you know it's HOT sh!t! 1962 stuff lads!!"

Date: July 22, 2010 01:00

And where's this lovely HC torrent? Did you decide to terminate it, Dr.Snow?

[EDIT : you did and that's too bad cos I would have liked to get a handful of songs off it, even in mp3 format] grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-27 13:01 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home