Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones in Exile - Got my copy!
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: June 17, 2010 21:21

Great docu and bonus features, except "the fans talking" - boring....
Also nice to see Ronnie commenting on a Stones-era he wasn't a part of but still admires very much.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2010 22:57

The GR
..and London 69 footage for UK 71 footage. Don Was saying Coppola was working on Apocalpse Now when he hadn't even started work on The Conversation or Godfather 2. He was AN exec producer but dropped it to make The Godfather which was made and released about the same time as Exile.
you think that's true that francis droped apocalpse now for godfather ?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:33

Got mine this week.
Love the Bonus material, except for the interviews with the "fans"".
Happy with it, overall !!
I really like the bit with Mick n Charlie, discussing where which song was recorded.
Hilarious, made me happy.!!
Jeroen

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 18, 2010 13:24

Hilarious indeed....... Mick says he wore a bell around his neck, some kind of fashion accesory, and insists Charlie had one aswell. Charlie says he never had one and instead wore colourful scarves...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 18, 2010 16:23

69boogie
CousinC
Bought my copy too!
Try to squeeze it in between World Cup games.

World Cup soccer is stupid and boring, watching paint dry is more interesting. Same goes for all sports really.

why would you comment on this?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2010 17:38

"In the super deluxe box, we get a dvd and in fact it is only a trailer. On TV, we watched the same and longer but a trailer too. In definitive it is only a promotion for the entire DVD sold in stores. The price of the box is very expensive. When we buy an item like this one, we think to have the complete one"

Hey you were warned about this... I've mentioned it several times. Acheter un disque à l'aveuglette est devenue une chose risquée en 2010... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 17:40 by dcba.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2010 17:46

Is the final retail version a bit more watchable than the 60' version made for TV? (epileptic editing, constant white flashes and focussing in/out digitally added to 2010 material to emulate the look of CSBlues - what a load of dung : at times I had to turn my head away from the TV set...)

Untouched footage with a normal editing was deemed too "boring"? smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 17:48 by dcba.

Re: STONES IN EXILE - JUST PURCHASED THE OFFICIAL DVD
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 19, 2010 00:24

SKILLS

So many studio outtakes of indiscriminate talk are utilised, "Late again Richards"....."I don't envy you when grow up and have to go to work for a living"

Really liked the doc, great having those CS Blues moments in nice quality and some great other moments in the docu too. Funny watching Bill in the extras. Priceless facial expressions.
However, those moments of studiobanter and especially that version of Ventilator Blues thats playing in the background - man thats something! Creates great ambience and sense of being there. Wondering about the directors access to those masters - did he get a full access to the vaults or just a "best of banter" collection? Has that version of Ventilator Blues turned up before? Its not in my possession, thats for sure...

RB

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: June 19, 2010 00:37

T'as raison mon gars, mais cela me fait penser un peu a la france au mondial, un peu glissante la pente... on prend le fric et on se la fait mettre profonde. Dans les 2 situations, ils ont en rien a foute des gens.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 19, 2010 14:27

Soccer, football.......puaj
Although stadiums are nice for R&R (as well as bullfighting rings)

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: June 22, 2010 13:28

Just watched the extended interviews- although Keith does look older I was impressed with how coherent he seems to be these days!- a lot less slurring

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 24, 2010 10:40

RobberBride
Has that version of Ventilator Blues turned up before? Its not in my possession, thats for sure...

This version is from the 1972 Dallas rehearsals...
Available on several boots since ages.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 24, 2010 11:00

mitch
This version is from the 1972 Dallas rehearsals...
Available on several boots since ages.

Oh really?
Then I have it in many versions, hehe.
Thanks. Didn´t recognize it smiling smiley

Exile Documentary DVD - A HUGE LET DOWN
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:15

Just watched the entire disc...bonus materials and all...and all I can say is what a wasted opportunity. On some of those classic albums in review DVDs they go over each track and break down the parts, isolate instruments, vocals, etc... (watch the one's from Fleetwood Mac, Queen, John Lennon, The WHo). This seems to have been designed for the VERY casual Stones or to attract new fans (no crime there, I guess).

Interviews with Benecio Del Toro REALLY????? And the comments from Liz Phair, Sheryl Crow, the dude from Kings of Leon, Scorcese, Jack White...seemed disengenious or forced to me. And NOTHING FROM THE STONES PEERS? No Clapton, no Jeff Beck, no McCartey,Townshend, etc...

And the newly created footage that attempts to recreate period footage from Nellcote or LA studio was SO fake looking. (Grainy close ups of back up singers at microphones, hands strumming guitars. thta was supposed to look like RObert Frank's foootage).

Best parts? Bobby Keys voice over. Mick Taylor interview. Seeing Stargroves.

I am really at a lost, I was expecting MUCH, MUCH more. Thank Jah it was only $13 at Target.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 17:16 by punkfloyd.

Re: Exile Documentary DVD - A HUGE LET OWN
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:24

punkfloyd
Just watched the entire disc...bonus materials and all...and all I can say is what a wasted opportunity. On some of those classic albums in review DVDs they go over each track and break down the parts, isolate instruments, vocals, etc... (watch the one's from Fleetwood Mac, Queen, John Lennon, The WHo). This seems to have been designed for the VERY casual Stones or to attract new fans (no crime there, I guess).

Interviews with Benecio Del Toro REALLY????? And the comments from Liz Phair, Sheryl Crow, the dude from Kings of Leon, Scorcese, Jack White...seemed disengenious or forced to me. And NOTHING FROM THE STONES PEERS? No Clapton, no Jeff Beck, no McCartey,Townshend, etc...

And the newly created footage that attempts to recreate period footage from Nellcote or LA studio was SO fake looking. (Grainy close ups of back up singers at microphones, hands strumming guitars. thta was supposed to look like RObert Frank's foootage).

Best parts? Bobby Keys voice over. Mick Taylor interview. Seeing Stargroves.

I am really at a lost, I was expecting MUCH, MUCH more. Thank Jah it was only $13 at Target.

Thanks for your review. It doesn't surprise me. I have the TV documentary. That's enough for me. Only interested in the MT interview. Did he say something surprising or enlightening?

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:25

Interviews from celebs was a bad idea.
It will date very quickly!

If you have 1 or 2 hours to talk about Exile, surely there are better things to talk about! I agree the inclusion of Benecio and others seemed pointless.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:32

Thanks for the review. Gives me a reason to find it online, rather spend hard-earned cash on it.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:41

I loathe to say it but I've come to the conclusion that the entire "Exile" reissue was pointless.

1. The vinyl LPs don't sound as good as the original because they're derived from the CD master.

2. The CD doesn't sound as good as the '94 Virgin version so what the hell's the point?

3. The extras are fine but available in their own unique packaging for less than a $1 per song.

4. The DVD is, as the others here describe it, a wasted opportunity. It's essentially an advertising tease for Ladies & Gentlemen and Stones In Exile.

5. The book is a well put together keepsake but is poorly bound and hardly worth in excess of $100 in its own right.

6. Four flimsy reproductions of the twelve original postcards add a bit of insult to the previous injuries.

I think you'll see my nearly new Exile Super Deluxe box on eBay in short order.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:42

All the more reason not to buy it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:45

"I loathe to say it but I've come to the conclusion that the entire "Exile" reissue was pointless."

Brilliant. I wondered how long it would be till the moaning really kicked in!! All this positive stuff so goes against the grain with IORR nowadays...

"I think you'll see my nearly new Exile Super Deluxe box on eBay in short order."

Please send a link when you do.....

Date: June 24, 2010 16:47

Right. Wait till it hits YouTube or something. Taylor interview was OK. Could have been better...another wasted opportunity. Didn't reveal anthing new (to me).

OH WAIT...I FORGOT ONE OTHER B.S. INTERVIEW Will.i.am from Black Eyed Peas was raving about how he would walk around with Exile vinyl in his backpack as a kid. HE WAS BORN IN 1975!!!!!! Am I supposed to beleve a budding hip-hop artist was impressing his friends with Exile in his backpack in the mid-late 1980s? Maybe, but his other uninformed comments about the album make me doubtful

I would have liked interviews wth contemporaries, a track by track analysis (they only really touch on Sweet Virginia and Loving Cup, I think).

And how cool would it have been to see Jagger, Richards, Wyman, Taylor, Wood and Watts jamming on some of the old tracks. Shit I would have paid 10x as much to see that.

And just as some bakground I am a lifelong Stones fan and Exile and Sticky Fingers are tied for my #1 albums. Maybe I had unrealistically high hopes for this.

Date: June 24, 2010 16:47

The Stones have been phoning it in for years now.

Time to sh@t or get off the pot literally!

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:54

ablett
"I loathe to say it but I've come to the conclusion that the entire "Exile" reissue was pointless."

Brilliant. I wondered how long it would be till the moaning really kicked in!! All this positive stuff so goes against the grain with IORR nowadays...

"I think you'll see my nearly new Exile Super Deluxe box on eBay in short order."

Please send a link when you do.....

Will do.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:56

punkfloyd

And just as some bakground I am a lifelong Stones fan and Exile and Sticky Fingers are tied for my #1 albums. Maybe I had unrealistically high hopes for this.

And how long has that life been?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:04

whilst were there perhaps the cardboard on the packaging was of the best quality, the stitching on the bind wasn't quite up to standard (oh sorry, it wasn't bound correctly)... I'm trying to think of other possibilities to moan at??

Date: June 24, 2010 17:15

loog droog
punkfloyd

And how long has that life been?

I am turning 40 this year and was introduced to Mick and the boys by older brothers in 1980. I was to young to see them in Dallas in 1981. Had to wait until 1989. OK don't laught I know there are much longer-term fans here. But shit the only good new album I got was Tattoo You! ;-) That makes me a hard core fan!!!

My big claim to fame is shaking hands with Ron Wood at his solo show in Dallas in 1992. He gave me a guitar pick.

Re: Exile Documentary DVD - A HUGE LET DOWN
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:23

this hit the stores when ?

Date: June 24, 2010 17:39

June 22, I think.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:44

I agree with some of the comments. It would have been nice to have interviews with people other than Will.i.am and Benecio Del Toro. But I loved Bill's and Taylor's interviews, as well as Charlie and Mick's visits to Stargroves and Olympic (what, Keith couldn't make it?). I personally liked Liz Phair's input, as I know how important Exile is to her work and thought her comments were insightful. Also thought the comments on the darkness of the records and the initial scariness of it were interesting. I felt the same way when I first heard it at 14 at my older cousin's house. I was excited and tempted by it, but a little intimidated. People really did not know what to make of it at the time. The Stones were expected to deliver accessible hits. This was different.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:50

stones fans are the hardest to please it seems

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2138
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home