Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: If only they could come up with another single like Love Is Strong
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 17, 2010 01:53

I have never been able to like New Faces EXCEPT the bootleg of Keith overdubbing his acoustic on it. THAT is stellar. Ha ha. But the 'didn't make my solo album' Mick song?

CRAP.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 17, 2010 02:10

Yeah skip, I think I'm agreeing, not his best effort. Moon is Up is better imo.
Funny, I remeber back in 94, a buddy and I were listening to New Faces - he thought it was written about Kurt Cobain. I know you don't like the song skip but just read the lyrics in the context of Cobain who died in Feb of 94...

There's a new guy in town
He's been dragging around
He's the figure of youth
And his eyes are so blue
And they're looking at you
So tell me the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell
He bites off more than he chews
Well, well is he ringing your bell
My heart is breaking in two

And his skin is so fair
And it shines like his hair
As he stands so aloof
With an indolent air
And an insolent stare
He just shutters the truth

Well, well he'll be rotting in hell
For playing the devil with you

It is aready too late
No point shutting the gate
Have you already swallowed the bait
And you're gone

As he knocks you down cold
As you lose all control
To this slip of a youth
I see fire in his eyes
I see ice in his smile
And I'm learning the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell<
Of love that is long overdue
Well, well who is under his spell
Is paying the devil his due

Kind of gives it a different meaning. We debated it for a while, but c'mon, it's not an impossibilty, is it??

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:56

How can you not like the love is strong lyrics? I love stalker songs. I think it gets a bad rap cause mick said he wrote the lyrics in the car on the way to the studio. But the sarcastic 'if only' quote of the LIS verse was lost on me. That's a great verse. Sick MFer wanting to meet in the park with silent trees in the dark that can't tell on him for what he wants to do. Nothing to do with rhymes in my book. Thief in the Night is kind of in the same vein. 'Check under your pillow, baby." That line still creeps me out. Brilliant. And what's wrong with New Faces? I always thought it was about Cobain, too. Maybe I'm just in that age group that thought everything was about Coain, but it was worth the price of admission just to hear Mick and Keith harmonize on that bridge. I played it over and over and over that summer. I really loved that entire album. I was doing farm work the day they debuted it, every song, on my tractor radio, and I simply could not wait to buy it and hear it again. 'Baby Break It Down'? Wonderful track. Keith dualing guitars with himself. Some of the best rhythmic interplay ever in my book. Bridges was not quite as exciting at first listen, but it grew on me after about three listens. I turned so many of my college friends onto The Stones by playing BTB. They were really fascinated that a band could make such a fantastic collection of songs after so many years together. They always said it was AS GOOD as any of the Stones classics. It really depresses me to get on here and here everyone putting it down. Both those albums were as inspired and inspiring as anything I've ever heard. Steel Wheels and ABB, not so much, but still decent work from my favorite band.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:48

James,

I like your posts but I think that kind of IS an impossibility.
This is another of Jagger's tossed off lryics for a crap song that he drops so effortlessly in the last few years.

I don't believe there is any meaning or intent behind it other than a rhyme scheme.

Well, well is he ringing your bell.
well well, he's got stories to tell? WTF is that!? Is that good enough to record?!

Go to your corner, Mick, and listen to your work from 1963 - 1981 and don't come back till you have a written report on why your lyrics have become so self concious and devoid of soul and wit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:58

KeefintheNight82
James,

This is another of Jagger's tossed off lryics for a crap song that he drops so effortlessly in the last few years.

I don't believe there is any meaning or intent behind it other than a rhyme scheme.

well well, he's got stories to tell? WTF is that!? Is that good enough to record?!

Go to your corner, Mick, and listen to your work from 1963 - 1981 and don't come back till you have a written report on why your lyrics have become so self concious and devoid of soul and wit.

1963-83...please give the man to "Undercover".

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:16

Don't Stop was a good single IMO.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:21

Highware...............You got me rocking.................. Rough Justice............One hit..............

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 17, 2010 16:21

jamesfdouglas
Yeah skip, I think I'm agreeing, not his best effort. Moon is Up is better imo.
Funny, I remeber back in 94, a buddy and I were listening to New Faces - he thought it was written about Kurt Cobain. I know you don't like the song skip but just read the lyrics in the context of Cobain who died in Feb of 94...

There's a new guy in town
He's been dragging around
He's the figure of youth
And his eyes are so blue
And they're looking at you
So tell me the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell
He bites off more than he chews

And his skin is so fair
And it shines like his hair
As he stands so aloof
With an indolent air
And an insolent stare
He just shutters the truth

Well, well he'll be rotting in hell
For playing the devil with you

It is aready too late
No point shutting the gate
Have you already swallowed the bait
And you're gone

As he knocks you down cold
As you lose all control
To this slip of a youth
I see fire in his eyes
I see ice in his smile
And I'm learning the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell<
Of love that is long overdue
Well, well who is under his spell
Is paying the devil his due

Kind of gives it a different meaning. We debated it for a while, but c'mon, it's not an impossibilty, is it??

You know, James, I have never considered this possibility, but I must say, I could most definitely see where anyone would think this could be the case. I wonder if it is about Cobain. Has anyone ever asked Mick about it??

Date: June 17, 2010 16:35

I doubt it. It was done in 1993 and finished in 1994. I don't see why Mick would write about Kurt.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 17, 2010 17:17

I DOUBT IT....

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 17, 2010 19:58

jamesfdouglas
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas
I think I'm gonna Bring Voodoo Lounge tonight on the way to the gig and give New Faces a listen.

well that's great. we had to look at an alien with mule ears and a shrimp coming out of its mouth getting hit by lightning again. plus get the news of your new promo gig. and u kept it down to the usual twenty words or less per post.

ur a star baby.

And you're still a flaming troll trying to dig reactions from people here by spewing hate and personal digs. Someday you may re-read the stuff you write and realize that it's only a reflection of your own nasty/megative disposition.
Taking shots and insults at strangers on a message board.
You're 'that guy'.
Congrats.

i do not have a Megative disposition. megative. love it.
dude you're not a stranger you're the guy that has left picture of yr business logo on several hundreds of threads. in my mean megative nasty personal life i encourage artists and writers and bands and open all kinds of opportunities for them as i am a lover baby. lots of iorrs have bands and i love to encourage that too.

fact: you have put HUNDREDS of those pictures on iorr. HUNDREDS...

and just as i said, and thats what pissed u off sonny,
leaving ONE LINE, IF THAT of text. your a phony.
yr typical presence on threads here is something like this.

jamesfdouglas (tho i recall your other handle when you first came sputtering in here with endless stories of your band and entire threads about that.
NONE of which i ever thought to criticize but i'm tired of your bullshit so you're busted, at least when i see yr posts cause...here's what they are:

TOPIC ANY THREAD
oh yes i really like that album NOW LETS DIG MY BAND PROMOTION!!

AND HEY IORR IS MY PERSONAL FAN MAGAZINE; SCREW THE STONES DIG ME!!! WE USED TO BE A COPYCATS OR WHATEVER
dude that's ten times the cynicism and ungraciousness i could ever muster.
it's almost assaultive... and for sure it does not leave a friendly open warm encouraging ambiance imo. there are dozens if not hundreds of iorr's all over the world with spanking good playing outfits. they are here all the time. i love to hear good news of their stuff and yours too but iorr is cool because they are NOT commericals all over the place. u r just a sneek and you're busted. and you're pissed. good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-17 20:03 by Beelyboy.

Date: June 17, 2010 20:18

Send It To me

I found it very generic...not helped by the generic video.

I was surprised at the quality of ABB, given what I thought of those 4 numbers they tacked onto 40 licks.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 17, 2010 22:10

treaclefingers
KeefintheNight82
James,

1963-83...please give the man to "Undercover".

Nah. I'm sure I'm the only person on here that doesn't like 'Undercover'. I never listen to it.

Date: June 17, 2010 22:22

" Well, well who is under his spell
Is paying the devil his due... "

That seems pretty obvious to me : the devil >> Sympathy for the Devil ; a new kid in town with stories to tell etc..

Date: June 17, 2010 23:05

So ya think it's about Mick??

Date: June 17, 2010 23:06

treaclefingers
Send It To me

I was surprised at the quality of ABB, given what I thought of those 4 numbers they tacked onto 40 licks.

I loved that video with all of the hidden mentions of their past songs. Great idea, IMO.

Date: June 17, 2010 23:14

Should Low Down have been a single for Bridges?

I thought they should have issued You Don't Have To Mean It as a single! Also Already Over Me would have been a good single - better than Saint Of Me and Out Of Control. Anybody Seen My Baby was obviously the 1990s Miss You/Emotional Rescue.

Date: June 17, 2010 23:19

VoodooLounge13
So ya think it's about Mick??

It seems like they're saying that whoever is under this new guy's spell is paying Jagger / the Stones their due respect,probably because of the ground they broke.

Date: June 17, 2010 23:57

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
Send It To me

I loved that video with all of the hidden mentions of their past songs. Great idea, IMO.

Maybe you're right? I kept nodding off during the video, so I may have missed the good parts.

drinking smiley

Date: June 18, 2010 00:11

There was a video for Don't Stop?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2010 02:42

sjs12
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas
I think I'm gonna Bring Voodoo Lounge tonight on the way to the gig and give New Faces a listen.

well that's great. we had to look at an alien with mule ears and a shrimp coming out of its mouth getting hit by lightning again. plus get the news of your new promo gig. and u kept it down to the usual twenty words or less per post.

ur a star baby.

Ha ha

I have to agree with Beelyboy about the recurring promos....add this guy with his little link to "The Family" along with the goat boy...I think that they are annoying as hell in a commercial-free zone.

Thanks for speaking up, Beely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-18 16:05 by loog droog.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:34

""saint of me", IMO, had it all. clever lyrics, great beat and some cool guitar work."

Very decent indeed... for a Jagger single. For a Stones song it's a disgrace (imho)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:39

Overall since VL the band is only capable to put FIVE good songs on an album, and imho LIS is a nice song (despite the silly video that came with it).

Date: June 18, 2010 15:49

Maybe they should stop with the (open G tuned) songs that are in A or float around A because neither One Hit or Love Is Strong or Don't Stop did very well as singles. Maybe the key of A just isn't 'up' enough.

Date: June 18, 2010 15:58

skipstone
Should Low Down have been a single for Bridges?

I thought they should have issued You Don't Have To Mean It as a single! Also Already Over Me would have been a good single - better than Saint Of Me and Out Of Control. Anybody Seen My Baby was obviously the 1990s Miss You/Emotional Rescue.

LOVE Low Down - still waiting to hear that one live

Date: June 18, 2010 16:31

Agree. I've always liked that song. It really takes Keith's chunky percussive playing and lets it decide the song (basically). And overall a great great guitar sound, especially on that leading riff. Love the bending guitars in it.

Date: June 19, 2010 19:27

Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas

ur a star baby.

And you're still a flaming troll trying to dig reactions from people here by spewing hate and personal digs. Someday you may re-read the stuff you write and realize that it's only a reflection of your own nasty/megative disposition.
You're 'that guy'.
Congrats.

dude you're not a stranger you're the guy that has left picture of yr business logo on several hundreds of threads. in my mean megative nasty personal life i encourage artists and writers and bands and open all kinds of opportunities for them as i am a lover baby. lots of iorrs have bands and i love to encourage that too.

jamesfdouglas (tho i recall your other handle when you first came sputtering in here with endless stories of your band and entire threads about that.
NONE of which i ever thought to criticize but i'm tired of your bullshit so you're busted, at least when i see yr posts cause...here's what they are:

TOPIC ANY THREAD

AND HEY IORR IS MY PERSONAL FAN MAGAZINE; SCREW THE STONES DIG ME!!! WE USED TO BE A COPYCATS OR WHATEVER
it's almost assaultive... and for sure it does not leave a friendly open warm encouraging ambiance imo. there are dozens if not hundreds of iorr's all over the world with spanking good playing outfits. they are here all the time. i love to hear good news of their stuff and yours too but iorr is cool because they are NOT commericals all over the place. u r just a sneek and you're busted. and you're pissed. good.

I wouldn`t say I`m pissed, but I removed the graphic and quote so you`d stop acting like such a whiny bitch about it. There are far more polite and mature ways to suggest someone removes a graphic, link, whatever in their signature. The link itself is still there though, but it only says `reverbnation`. I`ll remove that if and when bv asks me to.

I`ve had that link in my sig for over 2 years, and no one, not even bv, has ever complained about it before. I personally think that your rants and giving personal attacks here are far worse for the vibe of this forum than a promotional link, but hey, maybe that`s just me. I hope you find healthy ways to deal with what seems like some serious anger issues, and that deep down you're not a complete douchebag.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-19 19:28 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 22:11

loog droog
sjs12
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas

ur a star baby.

Ha ha

I have to agree with Beelyboy about the recurring promos....add this guy with his little link to "The Family" along with the goat boy...I think that they are annoying as hell in a commercial-free zone.

Thanks for speaking up, Beely.

Sorry, didn't realise I was annoying so many people by having a link to my band in my signature. That said, you're the only person who's ever mentioned it in anything other than a positive manner.

I'll admit that it's a bit of "advertising", but if one line of text at the bottom of a thread is so annoying that it really gets to you then I wonder why you can't just skip past it?

I would have thought that people on this board were interested in music full stop. I often click on other peoples links to see what their love of the Stones has led them to - often with welcome results - so I always saw it as a positive thing. If the overall consensus is that these signatures are so unbearably obnoxious that they ruin the experience for the vast majority of people, then I'll gladly take it off. It's not as though it actually brings me any commercial gain!

I thought Beely's comment was a very witty joke and I PML when I read it. It never dawned on me that it would be intended as an insult to anyone.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 22:14

jamesfdouglas
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas
Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas

ur a star baby.

You're 'that guy'.
Congrats.

TOPIC ANY THREAD

I wouldn`t say I`m pissed, but I removed the graphic and quote so you`d stop acting like such a whiny bitch about it. There are far more polite and mature ways to suggest someone removes a graphic, link, whatever in their signature. The link itself is still there though, but it only says `reverbnation`. I`ll remove that if and when bv asks me to.

I`ve had that link in my sig for over 2 years, and no one, not even bv, has ever complained about it before. I personally think that your rants and giving personal attacks here are far worse for the vibe of this forum than a promotional link, but hey, maybe that`s just me. I hope you find healthy ways to deal with what seems like some serious anger issues, and that deep down you're not a complete douchebag.

I say bring back the alien with mule ears and a shrimp coming out of its mouth getting hit by lightning!

Date: June 19, 2010 22:18

I thought so at first, sjs12, but he started slamming me, my bands, my writing, everything out of nowhere all of a sudden. When it got to the pont of him slamming me and my band & logo in threads I wasn't even posting in... that's when I was like - okay - this dude's a more than a bit 'off'. I don't really care that he was offeneded or whatever by my link - he's not a joker - just a hater.

By the way - listening to 'The Family' right now - FANTASTIC stuff!
I highly recommend you all checking it out!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home