Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: If only they could come up with another single like Love Is Strong
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 13, 2010 01:12

Carnaby
Voodoo Lounge was a very productive period.
I think so too.

We were watching the forgetable but guilty pleasure movie
"The Replacments" starring Gene Hackman the other night,
and somehow the Stones allowed sevreral VL songs to be used
on the sound track, and I love it ... I JUST LOVE IT!!! when they start playing in that movie.

As far as "Love is stong", interesting song, I liked it a lot
then not so much ,,then I liked it again, now it is a fine song,
not the best ... but I will mention that to this very day we have the
double subway poster for that single hanging up in the wall in our basement.
That big crossed eye is wicked cool, this is not to mention owning several
shirts with lyrics on the back / eye on the front, and must own at least
10 copies of the single ( several verions)

Saint Paul the persecutor Was a cruel and sinful man Jesus hit him with a blinding light And then his life began I said yeah I said YEAH!!! ...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:02

Jelly Face Joe
Love is Strong is actually a reworking of Keith's "Wicked as it seems", lifted by Jagger's great harp playing. In my opinion, it is the best "stalker" song ever.

What, better than Midnight Rambler? (Well, I guess MR is more serial killer...) Both songs have a few things in common (bluesy / excellent harp playing).

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:17

Bjorn
Please - someone - explain why Thief in the night is such a great song! Just 2 chords and a mumble for five minutes...Just because it´s Keith?

Well, this probably belongs in another thread, but I think Thief is a stroke of genius, and for so many reasons ... First, it is beautifully produced, with a gauzy, woozy atmosphere that entrances you (or at least, me) from the outset. The guitar work is beautiful, as is Charlie's drumming. Keith's vocal is stunning. And the lyrics, man ... they add such a powerful undercurrent of menace to the seemingly gentle groove. The whole thing starts off with this ethereal groove that slowly builds to a gorgeous, gospel crescendo.

I remember how, in the 90's, Keith was talking about "growing up the Stones" and making them better than ever. When I heard Thief, I knew he had delivered the goods.

To me, Thief is the last Keith masterpiece.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 01:20 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:22

This song does not cut it for me. The best dong on that album is Keith's The Worst... Probably Ronnie's greatest album as a guitar player, he truly shines... Again another struggle between Stones integrity defended by Keith, and Jagger's hunger for mainstream pop. Maybe if they only used 10 tracks that album would have been better. Love Is Strong is like buying a T Shirt at Blue Navy, after the third wash you have to throw it away. Obviously they thought of Exile for Voodoo Lounge... " Let's make an album with as much styles as possible" with time I think is the album I probably would not play for the love of christ.

Date: June 14, 2010 01:37

Loudei
This song does not cut it for me. The best dong on that album is Keith's The Worst... Probably Ronnie's greatest album as a guitar player, he truly shines... Again another struggle between Stones integrity defended by Keith, and Jagger's hunger for mainstream pop. Maybe if they only used 10 tracks that album would have been better. Love Is Strong is like buying a T Shirt at Blue Navy, after the third wash you have to throw it away. Obviously they thought of Exile for Voodoo Lounge... " Let's make an album with as much styles as possible" with time I think is the album I probably would not play for the love of christ.

VL, as an album, is not as good as B2B but I like LIS, especially the harp. Agree about cutting the number of songs. I loved it at the time.

ABB is the album that I have fastest lost interest in.

I think we can all agree one thing though - WE NEED MORE NEW STUFF!!!!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 14, 2010 01:38

Loudei
The best dong on that album is Keith's .

Well there is the quote of the year!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 02:00

If anyone's keeping track, I'm in the can't stand it group. It also might be the only song I dislike on VL. Similarly I couldn't stand ASMB off BTB. I also thought Harlem Shuffle was bad choice for DW (not that it mattered) For that matter the only song I really haven't taken ahuge liking to on the bonus exile is PMS. Weird - i just never agree with their choice for singles. I thought Mixed Emotions was ok for Steel Wheels.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 14, 2010 02:13

I can't believe that LIS is so disliked. When they played it Jan 18, 06 at Madison Square Garden it was excellent! They really played it well that night, lead, rhythm, harmonica solo, voice.
Spot on.
It was BadAss!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:50

It's the lyrical content of Love Is Strong which is its biggest failing, i feel. The lyrics just sort of meander without going anywhere. Words that are are used lack imagination, and are chosen simply because they rhyme. The song really doesn't hold up well, although there are some pleasing moments, like Jagger's singing and harp playing. However, when he gets to the lyrics 'we make a beautiful team', i find it as irritating as his vocals on Plundered My Soul.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:40

Bjorn
Please - someone - explain why Thief in the night is such a great song! Just 2 chords and a mumble for five minutes...Just because it´s Keith?

2 chords can be enough for great music as ton of blues songs show
in the case of TITN it is the drum a percussion work and the "hawaian" bluesy flavor that make the song for me
also a classic blues lyrics (2 chords for 2 concepts: love-possession)
a whole lot better than keith's "regular" exercises in reggae and jazz on the same record
unfortunately mick seems not keen to stick to "just 2 chords" and deepen his lyrics or "flavors" always longing for the smooth and pop refrain (there are good exceptions to that though)
so I am alla in favour to classic "2 chords" stones songs

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:56

I think Plundered My Soul kick's this song's ass.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2010 10:58

jamesfdouglas

agree

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 14, 2010 11:25

Loudei
Love Is Strong is like buying a T Shirt at Blue Navy, after the third wash you have to throw it away.

Exactly. You nailed it!

- Doxa

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 14:44

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas

agree

...And I'd like to make a (suicide-?) plead for "Dancing in the light" as a follow-up single!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 14, 2010 16:45

What started with One Hit and then carried over to Wicked As It Seems was basically perfected with Love Is Strong, which lead to Low Down, which carried over to It Won't Take Long...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:34

if that's the case, it sure took a long time to get to it won't take long....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:19

skipstone
What started with One Hit and then carried over to STRUGGLE and Wicked As It Seems was basically perfected with Love Is Strong, which lead to Low Down, which carried over to It Won't Take Long...

Date: June 14, 2010 21:03

skipstone
Great riff. It plods along like a lumbering giant. Great in a car cranked up. The whoo whoos are good too. Nice guitar work throughout the entire tune. The lyrics are very goofy but whatever, not every song can be Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man or Tumbling Dice.

The Clearmountain remix is excellent. The rest of the 'remixes' are horrendous.

Lyrics don't get much more goofy than the ones to "Monkey Man".

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:42

Edward Twining
It's the lyrical content of Love Is Strong which is its biggest failing, i feel. The lyrics just sort of meander without going anywhere. Words that are are used lack imagination, and are chosen simply because they rhyme. The song really doesn't hold up well, although there are some pleasing moments, like Jagger's singing and harp playing. However, when he gets to the lyrics 'we make a beautiful team', i find it as irritating as his vocals on Plundered My Soul.

Sorry but I disagree entirely with the negative parts of your comment.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 16, 2010 15:26

I'm with you sjs12, although, as you can see, most on here are not a fan of Voodoo Lounge, which, in my opinion, is their true masterpiece. If I had to pick between VL and EOMS, I would always take VL to listen to. It's a friggin awesome album. Not a single filler track on there, although many here don't care for the contrived lyrics of some of the songs. It's phemonemal. There's a reason why they finally won a grammy for this album. And Love Is Strong is by far the second greatest song they've done since Tattoo You (Behind Almost Hear You Sigh).

Date: June 16, 2010 15:39

I like VL, but on the other hand, I consider songs like New Faces, Blinded By Rainbows, I Go Wild and Sweethearts Together classic fillers winking smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 16, 2010 17:15

deadegad
I can't believe that LIS is so disliked. When they played it Jan 18, 06 at Madison Square Garden it was excellent! They really played it well that night, lead, rhythm, harmonica solo, voice.
Spot on.
It was BadAss!

So it was in Brno 2007.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 16, 2010 20:30

if only.... if only they could dammit. if only they could.

Love is strong and you're so sweet
And some day, babe we got to meet
Just anywhere out in the park
Out on the street and in the dark
I followed you through swirling seas
Down darkened woods with silent trees

dr. suess is ROLLING over in his grave. if only they could reach these mystical heights of unfathamable greatness again. if only. sigh.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 16, 2010 22:03

How Voodoo should have been released (ah ha ha):

Love Is Strong (Clearmountain Mix)
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild (Scott Litt Remix)
I'm Gonna Drive
Brand New Car
The Storm
Baby Break It Down
Mean Disposition

Date: June 17, 2010 00:26

skipstone
How Voodoo should have been released (ah ha ha):

Love Is Strong (Clearmountain Mix)
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild (Scott Litt Remix)
I'm Gonna Drive
Brand New Car
The Storm
Baby Break It Down
Mean Disposition

I sort of agree but not on the exact list. New Faces should be in there too. Maybe Thru and Thru though. (I know New Faces isn't universally liked but I like it and it is different sounding.)

Date: June 17, 2010 00:30

new faces is wonderful. i love that track. someone really put themselves and their heart into that song and that lyric. i really like that one a lot.

Date: June 17, 2010 00:37

I think I'm gonna Bring Voodoo Lounge tonight on the way to the gig and give New Faces a listen.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 17, 2010 00:48

jamesfdouglas
I think I'm gonna Bring Voodoo Lounge tonight on the way to the gig and give New Faces a listen.

well that's great. we had to look at an alien with mule ears and a shrimp coming out of its mouth getting hit by lightning again. plus get the news of your new promo gig. and u kept it down to the usual twenty words or less per post.

ur a star baby.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:08

Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas

well that's great. we had to look at an alien with mule ears and a shrimp coming out of its mouth getting hit by lightning again. plus get the news of your new promo gig. and u kept it down to the usual twenty words or less per post.

ur a star baby.

Ha ha

Date: June 17, 2010 01:45

Beelyboy
jamesfdouglas

ur a star baby.

And you're still a flaming troll trying to dig reactions from people here by spewing hate and personal digs. Someday you may re-read the stuff you write and realize that it's only a reflection of your own nasty/megative disposition.
Taking shots and insults at strangers on a message board.
You're 'that guy'.
Congrats.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home