Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Following The River Video - A Masterpiece
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 12, 2010 17:33

CaledonianGonzo
I, for one, have been pleasantly surprised by both the tune and vid for Following The River. If it smacks a little of an X Factor/American idol winner's song, then it also is operating in the same sort of sonic space as tracks like Winter and Shine A Light. It's nowhere near that standard, of course, but if it is about ~80% a new song, it's good enough for me at this late stage in the game.

As an aside, the 'comb in your hair' detail also reminds me, very specifically, of Brass Buttons by Gram Parsons.

The song itself is certainly not bad but good, imo. Like Beelyboy I have a big problem with the way it is performed (histrionic vocals, no Taylor guitar, misplaced violins). I made the comparison with the X-factor before. That says it all. Beely has said it much better than I. It could have been a great song, also "at this late stage in the game". Someone had to tell it to Jagger, but seemingly no one dared to.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 12, 2010 18:20

Beautiful video in the spirit of Exile!
Great work but almost too much for the song which to me is very nice but not a classic.

Shame that these days hardly anyone gets to see this fine work . .

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:01

My apologies to mick, this one is really growing on me, great song, new ,lyrics and vocals or old, its a great stones song

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:03

The "video" itself is a good production

"Following The River" (the song) seems to me like the brother (or sister) of "Don't Call Me Up" from Goddess In The Doorway. Just replace the lyrics of Don't Call Me Up into FollowingTheRiver - and there you have it.....same feel and same....eh..."climax". Also same kind of "quality" in lyrics.....allthough Following The River IS slightly "better"
Both songs are even dealing with the same subject....in nearly the same fashion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-12 19:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: crash ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:11

Turd On The Run
...this is quite possibly the most beautiful music video I have ever seen. It is Steinbeck's 'The Grapes Of Wrath' set to music...the images are so evocative and so deeply touching...

JumpingKentFlash
Love it too. There's something very Exile about it.

...couldn't agree more...it's superb!!! >grinning smiley< many thanks for the links, Turd & JKF... smileys with beer

Date: June 12, 2010 19:11

Erik_Snow
The "video" itself is a good production

"Following The River" (the song) seems to me like the brother (or sister) of "Don't Call Me Up" from Goddess In The Doorway. Just replace the lyrics of Don't Call Me Up into FollowingTheRiver - and there you have it.....same feel and same....eh..."climax"

I agree with you Erik about the video. But in the end the song counts, loose from the video. It has to stand on its own two feet so to speak, but it goes on all fours. I've already said why, so I won't repeat that. It's always nice if some people love something harmless.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:15

kleermaker
It has to stand on its own two feet so to speak, but it goes on all fours. I've already said why, so I won't repeat that. It's always nice if some people love something harmless.

I tried my very best, in my post above, to give my opinion on "Following The River", without saying directly that "I can't stand the song". But I can't stand it. There you have it
I can't stand Don't Call Me Up, either - but at least Don't Call Me Up has the "Jagger-solo-stamp" on it...so I can look more easily on that one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-12 19:16 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 12, 2010 19:23

Erik_Snow
kleermaker
It has to stand on its own two feet so to speak, but it goes on all fours. I've already said why, so I won't repeat that. It's always nice if some people love something harmless.

I tried my very best, in my post above, to give my opinion on "Following The River", without saying directly that "I can't stand the song". But I can't stand it. There you have it
I can't stand Don't Call Me Up, either - but at least Don't Call Me Up has the "Jagger-solo-stamp" on it...so I can look more easily on that one

I didn't mean you, Erik, in my last sentence. The implication of your former post was clear to me (<and there you have it.....same feel and same....eh..."climax"> ). I did read 'anticlimax' in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-12 19:46 by kleermaker.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:32

Beelyboy
that vid would be striking with all that iconic imagery if kermit was singing it's not easy being green.
grinning smiley

...nearly spewed my coffee allover the screen, ROTFLMAO!

The video images are mighty fine but heck, I always cringe when the Mickster starts gargeling and the strings come in soooo dominant. less would have been more.
it's those two things that spoil an otherwise good song.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:50

Turd,

Thank you.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 12, 2010 20:48

i think Turd On The Run so talented as a writer i'd love to see his own video and other work. a brilliant cat. and i appreciate the interpretation really do. i honesty feel the song performance vocally is such a shame. i am beginning to resent, and i admit it, proudly, as a fan man, that's right kids as a fan, that the add ons and resultant hype around them is putting candy on the mona lisa.

and i don't appreciate it personally. if they want to make mick jagger solo albums fine with me i don't buy them. at least make this a seperate effort to stand on it's own and not diminish and tarnish THE masterpiece. i don't go for it.
pretty video yes.
more thoughtful than the material it supports. yes.
the key thing on popular music recording is the narrative and vocalist storyteller; mick has forgotten or dropped thinking about the stones as something reflective of anything other than this narcissistic embarassing drivel.

keith should have flown to London just to smack him a good one. where the hell are you keith? Keith???? come back soon baby. love you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-12 20:49 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 12, 2010 20:55

Beelyboy
i think Turd On The Run so talented as a writer i'd love to see his own video and other work. a brilliant cat. and i appreciate the interpretation really do. i honesty feel the song performance vocally is such a shame. i am beginning to resent, and i admit it, proudly, as a fan man, that's right kids as a fan, that the add ons and resultant hype around them is putting candy on the mona lisa.

and i don't appreciate it personally. if they want to make mick jagger solo albums fine with me i don't buy them. at least make this a seperate effort to stand on it's own and not diminish and tarnish THE masterpiece. i don't go for it.
pretty video yes.
the key thing on popular music recording is the narrative and vocalist storyteller; mick has forgotten or dropped thinking about the stones as something reflective of anything other than this narcissistic embarassing drivel.

keith should have flown to London just to smack him a good one. where the hell are you keith? Keith???? come back soon baby. love you
after sleep-inducing garbage like nearness of you & thru and thru, keith is in no position to smack anyone. now if stu was still alive, he wouldve kicked both their asses in back in 1989, and it never wouldve come to this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2010 23:41

So it’s probably safe to surmise that the ones who dislike
Following The River must simply loath Tom Waits and the strings
on top of the tramp and Bryar’s - Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet....

AND like twenty years later ... Heck that bit alone would just pain 'em deeply……

ROCKMAN

Date: June 12, 2010 23:56

rock thats slightly disingenuous if i'm one of your friends here included in the reference because i've never mentioned the string arrangment nor ever thought to critique it. the Stones brilliant string arrangements as far back as early on As Tears Go By have been spectacular imo. i personally have never loathed Tom Waits nor The Rolling Stones; one thing for sure imo, if Tom ever squeaked a fakes vocal like that, he's been smart enough not to release it. he sounds rather...authentically rooted despite the colorful characterizations and expressions to me as a vocalist.

mick can still really sing very beautifully very powerfully very engagingly very spectacularly still Mick!!! i believe that; many here or like these new adds ons to exile DON"T believe mick still has it and are making excuses....i believe he still DOES have it in spades. and that he missed here by a wide margin, especially since it's a Stones project. i don't object to strings. i've never heard tom, dramatic and theatrical as he effectively is, kinda squeeze honk fake voke like this. ever.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2010 00:05

Heck no beely ... no personal attack at all my friend.... just strange that
Tom does a very similair thing to a street singing tramp's song and some call it a masterpiece....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2010 00:07

i thought this was gonna be the summer of exile. having the best ever Stones songs all over the radio from the best ever Stones albums (arguably),,,,

and the press hook and fan hook and completist hook and marketing hook and radio promotion hooks are two mick jagger new vokes that suck; on largely if not entirely forgettable songs, tho wudda, in some context, been nice album cuts somewhere mobbed along the way....

color me disappointed.

Date: June 13, 2010 01:04

but i don't mind moderating my comments if i'm offending people cause i'm not a troll and not here to make folks uncomfortable with negative opinions. i just don't quite see an honest fan response as necessarily negative. even if it 'busts' (on a fan site-not anywhere else) them sometime for what, imo, kinda ruins the whole summer of exile i thought was upon us. the 'new' 'old' stuff with mick's exclusively new vocals on ALL the main promo elements for the release in print and on radio airplay...!!! this is a bait and switch as far as i'm concerned. it's a promo add on trick for sales and hype; and it ERASES all the original tracks that ARE NOT being promoted to radio, NOT being played, NOT being talked about as much as what IS promoted obviously. this vid i not a stones vid in any way as far as i'm concerned. it might have been if they had left it an instrumental. or if mick had actually just taken it easy, dropped his shoulder, stood there and sang the damn thing. look at 'evening gown' the guy can sing his ass off. still. this is not a masterpiece of anything other than very very talented video director and editor imo

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 13, 2010 03:46

Rockman

AND like twenty years later ... Heck that bit alone would just pain 'em deeply……
tom waits is great, but i do loathe the decision to add him + others to sleep tonight, totally ruining what otherwise could have been a killer track. but thats neither here nor there, micks god-awful, embarrassing vocals are my problem with following the river, they are excruciatingly bad.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 13, 2010 05:21

Beelyboy

pretty video yes.

Agree with every word you write here, Beely. Well done! smileys with beer

What's frustrating to me about this song is that, with more restrained vocals and less bombastic production, it COULD HAVE been a masterpiece.

Drew

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 13, 2010 06:11

THis song moves me and I love it the more I hear it. THe video is very tastefully done - great job!
I wouldn't mind if this is how the Stones close out - by simply putting out more discs like this. I don't need to see them anymore, I've been thirsting for good, new Stones music since I was 'so excited' for Steel Wheels to come out. So... having new Stones music to genuinely love that actually moves me is a very new experience to me.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 13, 2010 07:47

Turd On The Run

On the surface the story is one of lost love and longing, using the Mississippi River - and its majestic run up and down the backbone of Middle America - as an allegorical construct. One sees (at 0:48) the run of cities leading from Chicago down to New Orleans...the Crescent City.

"allegorical" for what? What is the significance of linking this "run of cities" to the story of the two lovers? What exactly is being "symbolized"?

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 13, 2010 12:26

Rockman

Nah- that's way too short of a cut to recognize myself in...
It's not that I dislike strings 'per se', or smooth, bittersweet melodies, with aching melancholy or whatever; It's just that thís particular track doesn't move me at all- at least: not in a very positive way. And for the Stones, it's a way beyond what we should be permitted to expect from them imo. With that being a very personal appreciation, subjective & up for endless (pointless?) discussion, my 'case' would be: just play "Let It Loose" right before &/or after "Following...", and compare the melodies, the singing, the piano playing; and the horns (melody & arrangement!) of the former to the string section of the latter... If by then you're not convinced that the Stones rightfully left "River" in the closet all these years, then we'll just have to accept that we'll differ in opinion on this one untill Hell freezes over. ;o)

Still: it feels GOOD to all be able to talk (new) music again, and share personal views & sentiments regarding.
I really hope the'll ROCK ON for years to come. They still deliver!! (even if it's 'just' some old, left-over tunes... ;o)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 13, 2010 17:51

Turd On The Run
The Following The River video - directed by Julian Gibbs - is in my opinion so magnificent because its imagery is so layered and enigmatic...and the more one is familiar with the Stones' musical journey, the richer the video's imagery becomes. I am at a loss to explain where the director got the (older) clips from...they are marvelous and his mixing of old and new is seamless...amazing, really.

Though one might think, at first view, that it is a Depression-era pastiche of images, in fact the arc of the story begins in Chicago in late 1961, (the cars and pedestrians give it away, and at 0:36 a parade float goes by with a date and a "View for '62" claim protruding from what seems to be an intercontinental ballistic missile hovering over a cardboard rendering of the skyline of Chicago - evoking Kennedy-era America in the days of bomb shelter exercises and a deep-freeze Cold War).

On the surface the story is one of lost love and longing, using the Mississippi River - and its majestic run up and down the backbone of Middle America - as an allegorical construct. One sees (at 0:48) the run of cities leading from Chicago down to New Orleans...the Crescent City.

This is the beginning of a journey for disillusioned lovers - one man (from the wrong side of the tracks...the working-class part of town) hoping to forget the woman he has left behind; a woman he knows will haunt him forever ('Cause you always saw the best in me'). He's heading back South by train, leaving the big city and all its temptations and disappointments. She, elegant and pretty, is seen boarding a bus...to where? Is she staying behind? Is she coming after him? Or going back home herself? Not coincidentally Chicago is the spiritual home of the Stones' greatest musical inspirations - all men who made that journey from the deep South to the mean streets of Chi-town and brought their art, the Blues, with them...the Stone's very name coming from a Chicago Blues classic. Also the birth of the Stones was in 1962...so the symbolism seems to grow more layered the more one knows Stones lore.

There are so many stunning images in the video - the one at 1:25 when a young woman, lit beautifully by the neon lights blazing the night, leans her head back in a darkened bus, is an amazing moment - but perhaps none are more enigmatic than the burning tree, a symbol for the power of faith (Exodus 3:2 'There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.')...that the burning tree appears at the moment the song transforms from a ballad-like lament to a glorious Gospel Blues is not lost on this listener.

Here I must disagree with those that criticize the lyrics as middling. I think the conversational tone of the lyrics is wonderful and winning...these are sentiments expressed in simple heartland prose. That Jagger chooses to over-emote is a function of his late-career vocal mannerism - one wonders what a peak-era Jagger could do with this (the Jagger singing 'Let It Loose' comes to mind) - but who can complain when a man toward the end of his seventh decade on this earth can still put forth an effort like this? At what point does one just accept the fact that what we are getting is a minor miracle...most of the man's contemporaries are dust in the wind and he's still creating and producing...and occasionally thrilling...

...by the time the South has been reached and the glorious background vocals of the Gospel chorus (seemingly lifted directly from the very end of Exile's 'Just Wanna See His Face') fully kick in (at 3:14 and nearly orgasmically to an ever higher plane at 3:37) and ascend in unison, the song builds to a spine-tingling crescendo and the images of the Mississippi flooding and New Orleans at carnival signal the end of the line...and at this point the poignancy of the line "I'll be dreaming all about ya, 'Cause you always saw the best in me." has devastating emotional impact.

Following The River, in my opinion, will in time be recognized as one of the Stones' late-career highlights.

The video - more a resonant, deeply evocative short film with Following The River as its soundtrack than a music video - is an undisputed masterpiece.

Turd, that is an incredible post. You should be a music or film critic. Seriously!

Drew

Posted by: yustones ()
Date: June 13, 2010 18:33

drewmaster
Turd, that is an incredible post. You should be a music or film critic. Seriously!

Drew

hear! hear! thumbs upthumbs up

Date: June 13, 2010 19:01

"That Jagger chooses to over-emote is a function of his late-career vocal mannerism - one wonders what a peak-era Jagger could do with this (the Jagger singing 'Let It Loose' comes to mind) - but who can complain when a man toward the end of his seventh decade on this earth can still put forth an effort like this? At what point does one just accept the fact that what we are getting is a minor miracle...most of the man's contemporaries are dust in the wind and he's still creating and producing...and occasionally thrilling..." Quote Turd On The Run

Softening the criticism on Jagger as for his take on FTR because of his age is taking Jagger not seriously. It's not a matter of age, neither as for his voice nor in any other respect. It's a question of artistic failure imo, and even more reproachable because of Jagger's longtime experience as an artist and a singer.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 13, 2010 19:18

Beelyboy
this vid i not a stones vid in any way as far as i'm concerned.

This video isn't a Stones'video ....Is this what you meant ,Beely ?

Stones Blah
This is another song that just gets better with every listen.
I didn't like it at first listening but yes, the more I listen to the song & the more I like it .Jagger's voice here has nothing to do with PMS....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 13, 2010 20:11

Beelyboy
i thought this was gonna be the summer of exile. having the best ever Stones songs all over the radio from the best ever Stones albums (arguably),,,,

and the press hook and fan hook and completist hook and marketing hook and radio promotion hooks are two mick jagger new vokes that suck; on largely if not entirely forgettable songs, tho wudda, in some context, been nice album cuts somewhere mobbed along the way....

color me disappointed.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 13, 2010 23:44

Nice song.

Date: June 14, 2010 00:19

Well put, Turd. The song AND the video are just brilliant, imo.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 14, 2010 04:53

Turd thanks you are a brilliant mind. I think your review just above needs to be published somewhere. Your interpretation of symbolism is great. I didn't know that bout the burning bush. The images look so familiar to me on my daily commute. This is a goodbye song, The video depicts a scene of bad times, the guy is sleeping in the rough the girl is dreaming under the glow of the neon lights they do not hook up and then the Cross symbol appears and moving toward salvation, necessity to move on, everything is moving in the wrong direction, the guy 'missed the bus", and what is that rock design he is making in the sand?
The signs give a message too, we quit, thanks, desire.

I guess decoding this will be a long term evolution it is like a jigsaw puzzle. The song leaves me very sad though and yet I must listen to it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 05:05 by tumbled.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home