Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Following The River Video - A Masterpiece
Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 13:02

Quote Turd On The Run
"That Jagger chooses to over-emote is a function of his late-career vocal mannerism - (...) - but who can complain when a man toward the end of his seventh decade on this earth can still put forth an effort like this? "

kleermaker
Softening the criticism on Jagger as for his take on FTR because of his age is taking Jagger not seriously. It's not a matter of age, neither as for his voice nor in any other respect. It's a question of artistic failure imo, and even more reproachable because of Jagger's longtime experience as an artist and a singer.

I aggree with Kleermaker here; 'artistical failure' sounds a bit harsh- maybe I would not put it quite like that; but the frase does spring to mind when I hear the lack of genuine 'Soul' in his singing these days. And, for the record, I don't blame his voice for that (in fact he's still quite capable of raising hell; especialy when singing slow blues like "Back of my hand" & "I'm not Signifying"...) - it's jut his 'guts' that are failing him, these days. He relies (too) much on 'Mannerism'; indeed, a good word for that. And that shouldn't be considered a (vocal) technique- after all, 'conviction' (leading to 'convincing'...) is a matter of Life or Dead when singing the blues.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 14, 2010 13:16

Filip020169
he's still quite capable of raising hell; especialy when singing slow blues like "Back of my hand" & "I'm not Signifying"

The vocals on "I'm not Signifying" are from 1971...

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 14:04

mitch
Filip020169
he's still quite capable of raising hell; especialy when singing slow blues like "Back of my hand" & "I'm not Signifying"

If so, then I stand corrected off course... But they did sound (even 'felt') contemporary, to me.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 14, 2010 18:50

I don't know, unless Turd can be more specific, I think the video is a load of cliches that don't have much to do with the song and that certainly don't fit the polished manner--for good or bad--in mick's voice.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 14, 2010 20:48

Filip020169
mitch
Filip020169

If so, then I stand corrected off course... But they did sound (even 'felt') contemporary, to me.

I also would say contemporary. But I'm not sure about it and can be wrong. But are those who say "1971" absolutely sure or are their 'sources' (ears, feeling, comparison etc) the same as mine? In that case I'm not convinced that I'm wrong.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 15, 2010 16:09

it's a Muddy Waters tribute.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 15, 2010 16:24

"over the top" mick can also be truly "soulful" like in licks version of That's how strong, so i would say it is also a matter of songwriting
i have to say though that following the river, even if is not an example of songwirting creativity, dont spoil my listening pleasure of disc 2 as a whole
it is funny how mick's songwriting tends to be mainstreamish even if it is on "exile on main...street"
but then.. who would believe him as an "exiled" nowadays

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 15, 2010 22:04

Natlanta
it's a Muddy Waters tribute.

right--but why? Musically, the song has little to do with his style; lyrically, even less.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 15, 2010 22:09

The Sears Tower was started in 1971 and finished in 1973. Not sure how that works into the time line of the video being set in 1962...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 15, 2010 22:09

Calling this a masterpiece is like calling a child's fingerpainting a masterpiece. It's cute,simple,nice. But nowhere near a masterpiece.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 15, 2010 23:57

I just call it 'very enjoyable'. I like this song a lot.
To each their own though, I can't STAND Streets of love, but others here to like it a lot. Good for them. And good for me for liking this!

I think I'm loving it so much because - while of course it's not a masterpiece in the league of Loving Cup or Let ti Loose, it's a HELL of a lot better than anything any of them have done in a long, long time (Wandering Spirit is the exception).

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home