Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick ruins Plundered My Soul
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 10, 2010 20:39

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
"Mick ruins Plundered My Soul".....

but we'd never get to hear it at all, if it wasn't for Jagger

i could live widdat

If Richards and Wood had been taking part of the overdubbing of the 'new Exile' I'd bet it would have raised a LOT more critisicm over the new product, than Jagger's *modern way* of singing. Not disagreeing with you.....just saying that we'd have to take these new songs as they are - or let them be. maybe the best solution would be a "real Exile outtakes CD"....but songs like Plundered My Soul weren't half-finished to begin with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-10 20:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 10, 2010 20:42

A producer who were able to make Jagger enjoy a few whiskeys before doing the singing would be an interesting idea - I agree

Date: June 10, 2010 20:47

Mick sings it brilliantly, especially the chorus. I just can't see what's wrong in there? Love it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 10, 2010 20:48

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

i could live widdat

If Richards and Wood had been taking part of the overdubbing of the 'new Exile' I'd bet it would have raised a LOT more critisicm over the new product, than Jagger's new affected way of singing. Not disagreeing with you.....just saying that we'd have to take these new songs as they are - or let them be. maybe the best solution would be a "real Exile outtakes CD"....but songs like Plundered My Soul weren't half-finished to begin with.

don't get all analytical on me, erik. we're all half-finished, anyway...i see nothing wrong with that....

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 10, 2010 21:09

StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod, you don't believe age is a factor then? Jagger's vocal is noticeably thinner than it was 20 years ago, that's aside from his phrasing etc.

yes, of course - but i can live with a thinner vocal - my ears are thinner, too. but, his overly-mannered vocal stylings, which were first introduced in the early 80's have now become his signature style...and it sucks. he's totally lost his way as a singer - keith is a better singer than he is...for crissakes, i'll take ronnie as a singer these days over mick.

I completely agree with you, StonesTod. I think you can also directly relate that to Mick's dancing also, which these days is also very irritating, and often doesn't in any way relate to the song he's singing - it's all about spectacle. Keith connects to the songs on a more emotional level, for sure, even if he isn't technically as good as Mick as a singer. There is a large distance between the emotions within the songs and sincerity within the vocal on Mick's part, it's all about role playing.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: June 10, 2010 21:10

Mick has a battery of vocal styles to choose from. Unfortunately, this time, he has chosen his "Donald Duck" impersonation.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 10, 2010 21:31

It's fine.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 10, 2010 21:59

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

i could live widdat

So you'd rather they hadn't released at all? If you don't like it, don't listen. No one's forcing you to listen to the new stuff. No amount of whining about how Mick sings these days is going get Mick to change his style, or stop them from recording new stuff.

Date: June 10, 2010 22:03

Keefan
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

i could live widdat

So you'd rather they hadn't released at all? If you don't like it, don't listen. No one's forcing you to listen to the new stuff. No amount of whining about how Mick sings these days is going get Mick to change his style, or stop them from recording new stuff.

is that right? well, way to take the fun out of all the whining! and here i was under the impression that mick really cared about what i think. sigh.

can i ask you something? would it be okay if i listen to it when i really need something to complain about? please?

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 22:20

Excellent song. Excellents Mick vocals!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 10, 2010 22:50

Also the song would have greatly benefitted from some female backing vocals like a lot of the Exile tracks have.

Come again Duane? Not sure what you're listening to but the Plundered I am hearing clearly has female backing.

I think Mick sounds fine, if too mannered in his phrasing as others have said.

What the song really needs to me is a guitar solo or some kind of breakdown to shake things up. It's just verse/chorse/verse/chorus with no surprises added in.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 10, 2010 22:53

kleermaker
Edward Twining
I completely agree, Mick ruins the song.

Mick Jagger, to be precise.

:-)))

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: June 10, 2010 22:55

Mick sounds fantastic. Great vocal performance, one of his best. Too bad the song doesn't have a bridge. Love the song anyway.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 23:07

i think the songs sound great i belive some people here had some unreal expectations and were expecting an exile part 2

Date: June 10, 2010 23:10

ghostryder13
i think the songs sound great i belive some people here had some unreal expectations and were expecting an exile part 2

which people? i want names....

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: June 10, 2010 23:12

There are people who complain about everything the Stones are doing now. Who dislikes PMS can't be a Stones fan!!!

Date: June 10, 2010 23:22

Meise
There are people who complain about everything the Stones are doing now. Who dislikes PMS can't be a Stones fan!!!

dammit....i was afraid of that. where do i return my offical stonesfan membership card?

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: June 10, 2010 23:51

His vocals on this track are not his best as he is really struggling to hit the high notes in the chorus.

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:00

Great song great vocal if people dont like it dont listen simple as that!!!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:04

StonesTod
straycatuk
I suppose they could have released a load of half finished instrumentals to keep people here happy.

that's what i'm talking about....

What I'd like to hear, is an album's worth of them tuning their guitars, and have Mick add vocals.

Date: June 11, 2010 00:15

treaclefingers
StonesTod
straycatuk
I suppose they could have released a load of half finished instrumentals to keep people here happy.

What I'd like to hear, is an album's worth of them tuning their guitars, and have Mick add vocals.

got kind of a john-yoko vibe about it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2010 00:41

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
straycatuk

got kind of a john-yoko vibe about it.

Nothing quite as shrill as Yoko doing the vocal on that number with the 'Dirty Mac' on Rock and Roll Circus.

I thought the violinist was going to burst out laughing.

Date: June 11, 2010 01:02

There were some things about Plundered My Soul which I disliked a lot when first hearing it.....the things that bugged me were the arrangement and the lyrics and the *affected MOOD*....like a bastard of Exile and Goddess in The Doorway....not Jagger's voice - even though his approach to the song is a piece of the bastardo puzzle

Now I'm more familiar with the Exile Bonus disc....it doesn't upset me anymore - and I think Jagger does a fine job on Plundered My Soul

I do know about his new *affected* way of doing the vocals in later years tho' - don't know why he's doing that

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-11 02:36 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:11

Sorry dudes. No amount of cajoling will get me to admit his vocal on this song is anything other than horrific. He's pushing it too hard, like trying to drive a race car with only 1st gear. He' singing it too hard, too high and too loud and it just comes out as shrieking.Where was the producer when this was going down? Was he out fetching coffee? I'd love to hear the vocal takes that didn't make the cut. Oh, and I still don't hear the black female back-up vocals someone said was in there. I hear something that might be described as backing vocals but it sounds like 1 or 2 dudes to me and it doesn't add a thing to the song. Please direct me to one of the new cuts, with new lead vocal, that sounds better than this one.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:45

well...in 10 years time...just about the same amount of time that has passed since the Forty Licks thing Mick will be pushing 80 or just be dead...so he won't be singing anything..

it amazes me how people just are never pleased with anything...especially the 'non-musicians' who live in some dreamworld where everything has to be EXACTLY like it was 40 years ago or they just aren't happy with it...people who have no clue what it's like to play and sing and come up with new stuff or just try and have inspiration to play the same stuff over and over...like the comic book guy on The Simpsons...

i'm glad they a couple of guys in their mid 60's have enough taste and care enough about their old stuff to take a bunch of half baked crap they threw away 38 years ago and try and fix it up to give their fans a little extra for the money...

when i read this stuff i'm waiting for people to start asking stuff like 'wow..i wonder what Mick had for lunch before he sang the vocals...and if it's a wig...'

get a life

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 11, 2010 01:53

It's amusing how we can all differ so much. Personally I think it's the ONLY bad song on the bonus disc.

Posted by: jaggerzita ()
Date: June 11, 2010 03:10

cowboytoast
well...in 10 years time...just about the same amount of time that has passed since the Forty Licks thing Mick will be pushing 80 or just be dead...so he won't be singing anything..

it amazes me how people just are never pleased with anything...especially the 'non-musicians' who live in some dreamworld where everything has to be EXACTLY like it was 40 years ago or they just aren't happy with it...people who have no clue what it's like to play and sing and come up with new stuff or just try and have inspiration to play the same stuff over and over...like the comic book guy on The Simpsons...

i'm glad they a couple of guys in their mid 60's have enough taste and care enough about their old stuff to take a bunch of half baked crap they threw away 38 years ago and try and fix it up to give their fans a little extra for the money...

when i read this stuff i'm waiting for people to start asking stuff like 'wow..i wonder what Mick had for lunch before he sang the vocals...and if it's a wig...'

get a life

Totally agree with you, cowbowtoast.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:19

I'm no fan of Jagger's voice these days, or even since the '90's (or '80's).

But what I respond to is the uncanny ability he has to precisely place those quarter notes in the melodies he sings. @#$%& amazing. I focus less on the tone of his voice, and more on the melody he sings. The Taylor notes complete it. Mick Taylor on a 2010 Rolling Stones song that I hear on the radio is a big @#$%& deal to me.

Still love that song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-11 04:47 by fuman.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:36

Love the song and Mick's performance...and I can't believe anyone would praise Keith's singing, especially when his " vocals" on Lovin Cup is SO TERRIBLE! Not that's one track that is laughable, I can't even listen to it! Good DAMN THING Keith didn't sing it on the REAL version!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:41

Let me get this straight: you've only heard this song *once*, on the radio on which the transmission was apparently so weak you couldn't even hear the female backing vocals? So you rush to iorr to post your pronouncement that Mick "ruined" the song?

(insert rolling eyes emoticon here)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home