Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Phish performance of Exile!
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 9, 2009 20:21

I think its great in a lot of ways..but just them deciding to do it is admirable

don't know much about them, other than they're from Vermont, they play jam style, etc, but I sure like the way they played Exile. they seemed to go deep into it, getting the right sounds on the drums, for example..and guitar tones...and having fun with it.

Re: Phish performance of Exile!
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 9, 2009 20:30

I purchased the performance from Phish online... and you can tell how much they dig this album and I can also tell which songs they really like best... Let it Loose was done with such respect, tunes like I just want to his face and a few others... Sweet Virginia was incredible... Also they kept the jammin to a minimum and when they did let go it was very refreshing... thanks Phish.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 9, 2009 20:43

performance of the year

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 9, 2009 21:38

Loving Cup was a great performance too.

Posted by: jfmiii21 ()
Date: November 9, 2009 21:40

i was at this show, huge phish fan, and decided to fly in the day before this halloween set when it looked all but certain theyd be covering exile. it was the best set of music i have ever seen, stones included. for those not familiar with phish, trey anastasio (lead singer/guitarist) had a very public problem with drugs and alcohol. you could tell that this album was more than them covering a classic, it meant something to the band, most especially trey, bc exile chronicles the ups and downs of a rock and roll band on the road. truly an epic, epic performance. for those who havent seen phish, i really suggest you try and see them and discard the preconceived notion that theyre a drug band or a grateful dead knock off or whatever. these guys are the real deal and, imo, the best and maybe most important band in the last 25 years.

Date: November 9, 2009 21:48

jfmiii21
i was at this show, huge phish fan, and decided to fly in the day before this halloween set when it looked all but certain theyd be covering exile. it was the best set of music i have ever seen, stones included. for those not familiar with phish, trey anastasio (lead singer/guitarist) had a very public problem with drugs and alcohol. you could tell that this album was more than them covering a classic, it meant something to the band, most especially trey, bc exile chronicles the ups and downs of a rock and roll band on the road. truly an epic, epic performance. for those who havent seen phish, i really suggest you try and see them and discard the preconceived notion that theyre a drug band or a grateful dead knock off or whatever. these guys are the real deal and, imo, the best and maybe most important band in the last 25 years.

no argument from me. a buddy of mine and I caught them twice this year - and we both have been to many hundreds of shows over the decades - and we both said to each other after these shows that this might have been the best rock music we've ever seen performed in concert. just as a set of musicians, these guys are all incredible...all "musician's musicians." collectively they are magic.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 9, 2009 22:04

It was so great we need 5 threads about it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: November 9, 2009 22:06

it's worth at least a half-dozen...i'm willing to bid even a couple more....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 9, 2009 22:07

T&A
It's worth more than your Ducks that's for sure.

Date: November 9, 2009 22:20

sweetcharmedlife
T&A
It's worth more than your Ducks that's for sure.

this is no way to secure that date with me that we all know you want

Date: November 9, 2009 23:07

we need double digit phish threads.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 10, 2009 00:19

just heard about this over the weekend from a new friend who was at one of the shows!
he was flabbergasted...totally baked by it...he said 'shine a light' was amazing...he said they had full horn section live too, to replicate all the arrangements on the more 'produced' stuff....fascinating fascinating...cause these Northern NE boys really do have fierce talent...asked him for a soundboard or sumthin!!!!!PLEASE...(ty kind barista frm intelligentcia) !! >grinning smiley<
as he promised to be burnin' one for me!!...i'm excited to git it...will listen and live w it...and get back to this thread before too very long hopefully...

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 10, 2009 09:18

What's the best intro into phish as far as getting to know them? any advice for THE MEZ! James

Date: November 10, 2009 15:46

The Mez
What's the best intro into phish as far as getting to know them? any advice for THE MEZ! James

Pick up their album "A Live One." The versions of 'Harry Hood' and 'Chalkdust Torture' on there are maybe the best ever of those 2 songs. 'You Enjoy Myself' is the prototypical Phish song. I'd also pick up their 12/31/95 NYE show at MSG. To be honest, I saw Phish 10 years ago when I was 16 and didnt "get" it. It took me a little bit of repeated listening to get into them but the song 'Down With Disease' turned me into a fan.

Phish--A Live One

Phish--NYE 1995

These are both readily available online via torrents. Dont' start with studio stuff, Phish is a live band and is meant to be listened to in a live format. Happy listening! These guys are truly a great, great rock and roll band.

Date: November 10, 2009 17:19

i agree that, much like the grateful dead, the studio albums don't showcase the band as well as the live stuff. but, their latest studio effort - Joy - might be their best of the lot.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: November 10, 2009 17:55

You can buy a download of this show at nugs.net in 16 or 24 bit FLAC

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 22:48

For the person who asked for a good intro to phihs- yes the live stuff is great, but sometimes you need to get to know the songs in simple studio form before really diving into the live stuff.

I think the best album is Rift, the other good ones to start with are Billy Breathes and Farmhouse because they are kind of "pop" ish- as much as phish can be. Both have great straight ahead rock songs. The first album, Junta, is a little less "mainstream" sounding, and incredibly good. Then of course, there is A live One as previously mentioned. it is a great snapshot of phish in their prime.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 12, 2009 01:58

Sorry, Phish fans, I thought it was garage band standard. Phish are not rockers and never will be. They'd do better doing covers of country-rock bands like the Eagles or the Doobie Brothers, or of course, the Dead.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 12, 2009 04:51

Bliss
Sorry, Phish fans, I thought it was garage band standard. Phish are not rockers and never will be.

a pretty ignorant comment. you don't know squat about the band to make a claim like that....

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: November 12, 2009 05:04

I've never been into phish, I used to follow the Dead so i always thought they came onto the scene on their coat tails in a way. I was just out of college when Jerry died, so I guess i missed the Phish band wagon.

Anyways, I listened to the Exile performace and thought it was fantastic. Great band. Good musicians.

It just made me a bit angry that our boys wouldn't do such a thing. To be honest, however, I'm not sure I would want them to try now, it could be a mess. Perhaps back in '95 they could have pulled it off . . .

Posted by: zee ()
Date: November 12, 2009 06:22

Here is my contribution...the link if you care to download the show..

its on [bt.etree.org]

Torrent ph2009-10-31.mk22.flac24.torrent (click to download)

Date: November 12, 2009 06:51

>>you don't know squat about the band to make a claim like that....

I know all I need to...I know how they sound to me, and I know how the original Exile sounds..

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 13, 2009 00:08

just downloaded the soundboard mp3's and am giving a listen now:
1. the rockin songs are lame, mostly due to the horrible lead vocals.
2. the mellower songs & jams are very nice.
3. the horns section & back-up vocals absolutely crush the garbage that has been playing with the vegas stones.

Date: November 13, 2009 01:01

Phish's version of "Just Want To See His Face" is way better than what is on Exile. and bliss, youre an idiot. garage band?? not rockers?? haha.

watch this and tell me theyre not rockers....

sucks you cant appreciate good music. have you ever listened to or seen phish? ignorance is bliss i suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-13 01:03 by jfmiii21.

Date: November 13, 2009 01:54

'IGNORANCE IS BLISS', ha ha, I love it.

The word I would use to describe Phish's Exile is pedestrian. Adequate (barely). No life. The slower numbers are marginally better, but nothing can replace Mick's unique voice and phrasing on Exile.

Their interpretation doesn't measure up to the original, and to me, it doesn't bring anything new; it doesn't make me see the material in a different way. Listening to it just makes me miss the original.

Theoretically, I should be able to appreciate Phish. The Dead are my second favorite band, and they are certainly in that genre. I listened to the clip posted above. If that's their best work, my opinion remains unchanged.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home