Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT: America's Best Band
Date: June 7, 2010 20:56

The Greek
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
rattler2004
tatters
rattler2004
tatters
Strange thread. Are we talking about the best American band EVER, or the best American band RIGHT NOW? In any case, the obvious lack of a consensus proves one thing; that there is no such thing, and there never was any such thing, as an American equivalent of the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or the Who, or Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd, or .....

Umn...Guns 'N Roses & Metallica reached those heights....

The 1982 album featured a line up without Joe Perry and Brad Whitford. It would be like the Stones would release an album without Keith and Ronnie. I think that's what he's referring to.

Not even close. They have not even reached AEROSMITH'S "heights". And Aerosmith, at their best, was just a second-hand fusion of Stones and Zeppelin influences. GNR and Metallica are imitations of an imitation. It's not their fault that they came along WAY too late to matter in the overall scheme of things, but even Aerosmith came along too late. By the time their first album was released (1973), nearly all of the rock music that really matters existed already.

I beg to differ...from 1988 to 1992 Guns N Roses was the biggest band in the world hands down.

Metallica from 92 to 97...only threatened by Oasis...

as far as influence Jimi Hendrix & Van Halen.

Aerosmith...not even in the conversation...they didn't exist for 5 years in the mid 80s anyway.

nuff said.

where did you get that aerosmith wasn't around for 5 years in the mis 80's? they had studio albums in '82, '85, '87 and '89. i don't see anything more than a 3 year gap.

Aerosmith released an album in 1982, but that was without their two guitar players, Perry and Whitford. Hardly a true Aerosmith album. I think that is what he is referring to here.
yeah but it had a great tune jailbait,and there was another one ,i think it was called when lightning strikes .

yeah jailbait, lightning strikes and bolivian ragamuffin are standouts. there were 2 or 3 other tunes that were pretty good. i knew that was why they were saying aerosmith wasn't around for 5 years of the 80's. kinda weak considering the 2 guys left on their own. i thought it was a good album.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 7, 2010 20:59

Social distortion

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 7, 2010 22:03

Of US bands from the last 20 years or so, I'd say:

The Black Keys
White Zombie
KYUSS
Los Straighjackets
Hank Williams III
Buddy Guy (of course, he's been around a lot longer than 20 years, but he's put out some amazing stuff in the last 20 years)

Bands & artists before then: too many to list! Hendrix, Elvis, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Iggy & the Stooges, the Velvet Underground, the Doors, CCR, the Dead, Janis, Capt. Beefheart, Zappa, Ramones, Mountain, Aerosmith, ZZ top, Allman Bros., etc....(I know I'm forgetting some)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-07 22:06 by Keefan.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:49

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:51

allman brothers!

Date: June 8, 2010 00:34

keefriffhard4life
The Greek
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
rattler2004
tatters
rattler2004
tatters
Strange thread. Are we talking about the best American band EVER, or the best American band RIGHT NOW? In any case, the obvious lack of a consensus proves one thing; that there is no such thing, and there never was any such thing, as an American equivalent of the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or the Who, or Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd, or .....

IMO, the weakest Aerosmith album ever, but each to his own. Rock In A Hard Place has awful production, bad sound, a lazy vibe and poor songs, as far as my ears can tell.. I know lots of people really like Lightning Strikes. To me, it's a hair metal song, just the kind of song Aerosmith doesn't do very well. I like Aerosmith. Just my two cents smiling smiley

Umn...Guns 'N Roses & Metallica reached those heights....

The 1982 album featured a line up without Joe Perry and Brad Whitford. It would be like the Stones would release an album without Keith and Ronnie. I think that's what he's referring to.

Not even close. They have not even reached AEROSMITH'S "heights". And Aerosmith, at their best, was just a second-hand fusion of Stones and Zeppelin influences. GNR and Metallica are imitations of an imitation. It's not their fault that they came along WAY too late to matter in the overall scheme of things, but even Aerosmith came along too late. By the time their first album was released (1973), nearly all of the rock music that really matters existed already.

I beg to differ...from 1988 to 1992 Guns N Roses was the biggest band in the world hands down.

Metallica from 92 to 97...only threatened by Oasis...

as far as influence Jimi Hendrix & Van Halen.

Aerosmith...not even in the conversation...they didn't exist for 5 years in the mid 80s anyway.

nuff said.

where did you get that aerosmith wasn't around for 5 years in the mis 80's? they had studio albums in '82, '85, '87 and '89. i don't see anything more than a 3 year gap.

Aerosmith released an album in 1982, but that was without their two guitar players, Perry and Whitford. Hardly a true Aerosmith album. I think that is what he is referring to here.
yeah but it had a great tune jailbait,and there was another one ,i think it was called when lightning strikes .

yeah jailbait, lightning strikes and bolivian ragamuffin are standouts. there were 2 or 3 other tunes that were pretty good. i knew that was why they were saying aerosmith wasn't around for 5 years of the 80's. kinda weak considering the 2 guys left on their own. i thought it was a good album.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 8, 2010 00:57

CCR and Aerosmith.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 8, 2010 01:52

Done With Mirrors was the last decent album Aerosmith put out (1985)

It was all downhill into MOR/AOR Bryan Adams-esque shite rock from there on in

x
Posted by: gohabs ()
Date: June 8, 2010 02:12

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-08 04:36 by gohabs.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: June 8, 2010 02:15

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 8, 2010 04:31

colonial
After six pages and160 posts theres not even one obvious American Band that even half a dozen people can even agree on..or even look like agreeing on..if yous all struggle just to name Americas best Band..I would hate to think if yous had to name three Bands it would be an all out war..all im seeing is a few great American Bands and alot of Bands probably not known outside of American..well ive never heard of them anyway.I tell ya what I will put an end to all this fuss and say if Elvis Presley was a Band he would be Americas best Band..smiling smiley

Re: x
Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: June 8, 2010 04:35

I have one thing to say about all this-- X.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 8, 2010 04:56

>I have one thing to say about all this-- X

I couldn't trudge through 5 prior pages of this cringe-inducing thread but this post I can get behind -- Bravo!

Date: June 8, 2010 05:08

Yeah, I don't even know what this thread is about.

X

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 8, 2010 05:15

The Rolling Stones
(I know... there's a few Brits in the band.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-08 05:16 by schillid.

Date: June 8, 2010 05:26

JJFlash2010
Yeah, I don't even know what this thread is about.

X
JJFlash2010..yea..gohabs and his threads have always been a bit of a mystery to me to mate..smoking smiley

Date: June 8, 2010 05:30

What the hell kind of a name is gohabs anyway? x

Date: June 8, 2010 05:40

JJFlash2010
What the hell kind of a name is rehabs anyway? x

Date: June 8, 2010 05:45

I just googled it, guess you'd have to be from Montreal...... ah well, have a good night, all......

Date: June 8, 2010 08:49

tatters
James Kirk
It's truly a weak field when you conisder how small England is and they have at least four bands (Beatles,Stones, Zeppelin, The Who) that would go to the top of this list w/out question and possibly several more.

Cream, without a doubt, but you can also match up Brits vs Yanks, genre by genre, era by era, and the Brits will win out time and time again. Was there an American heavy metal band in the early 70s that was anywhere close to being in the same league as Zep, Purple, or Sabbath? Were American Prog bands like Styx and Kansas even in the same ballpark as Yes, ELP, and Genesis? Name me one genre (other than soul or funk) or one era (after 1963) where the Yanks come out on top. Disco, maybe, but even the best disco band of all time is NOT American!
<disco maybe but even the best disco band of all time is NOT American>
tatters..THE BEE GEES..in 1977 Saturaday Night Fever become the best selling soundtrack of all time.
The Bee Gees are from the Isle of Man..lived in Manchester and then moved to Australia

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 8, 2010 09:00

Well we seem to Have all the biggest rap acts, which personally I can't stand, but rap is bigger than rock now worldwide.

Date: June 9, 2010 12:06

colonial
andy js
Here's the answer

RAMONES...smoking smiley..thumbs up

Date: September 15, 2010 11:40

colonial
colonial
andy js
Here's the answer

Re: America's Best Band
Posted by: Rockandosis ()
Date: September 15, 2010 15:22

--------------------THE DOORS----------------------------

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 15, 2010 15:39

From El Cerrito, CA

Creedence Clearwater Revival....

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 15, 2010 15:50

New York Dolls

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: September 15, 2010 16:29

The Band was probably America's best band ever!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 15, 2010 17:20

Gangster-of-love
The Band was probably America's best band ever!

...and they were 4/5ths Canadian!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 18:54

The Del Fuegos

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 15, 2010 18:57

colonial
colonial
colonial
andy js
Here's the answer

You bumped this up just to say the Ramones again?confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home