Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: KISS on the David Lettermann Show
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: October 7, 2009 08:56

Cool performance from yesterday.

Re: OT: KISS on the David Lettermann Show
Date: October 7, 2009 13:35

It gets tougher for Paul to do the high notes...

Date: October 7, 2009 13:41

Gene with the tongue to Letterman, ala 1978 Stones on Saturday Night Live,Mick giving a lick to Woody. Does anyone have that clip?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2009 14:04

Dave's been doin' more than kissin'......

ROCKMAN

Date: October 7, 2009 14:20

As long as he's not taking Gene down in the "bunker" winking smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 7, 2009 19:22

Awesome.Kiss are back.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 7, 2009 19:37

KISS = SUCK

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 7, 2009 19:39

That new song sounds pretty good to me.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:16

they were all the rage with the 10 year-old boys when i was a kid....surprisingly, they're still hugely popular with the argentinians.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:36

This is not Kiss. This is just a show band who is playing the same oldies but goldies show for the last 10 years. Now they made a new CD, are they all playing on the record or is it a lot of studio musicians who won´t get any crdeits like on Psycho Circus...

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:38

My oldest Sons first Concert was KISS in 1996, then the Stones in 1997
Actually, KISS' first 3 Studio LP's were a fun listen back in the Day,
even the First LIVE LP too, then Bob Ezrin got hold of them ...

Posted by: Juha ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:58

I met Paul Stanley at a Stones concert in N.Y. 1989.
He sat two seats away from me. While waiting fof the concert to begin I talked allkinds of bull***i to him (yes I had been drinking some beers) and asked autographs for my friends. I really must have been a pain in the a** but he was very polite and friendly and told stories about the KISS shows played in my home country Finland.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 7, 2009 22:25

The new CD is packaged with another CD of "Best of" songs...re-recorded by the New Kiss. What better way to insure that Peter and Ace are cut out of the loop of performance royalties. Sharon Osbourne did that to Blizzard of Oz.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 7, 2009 23:17

mickscarey
KISS = SUCK

I second that emotion !!! Wow, common ground with me and Scary !!! Never could believe it....

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 7, 2009 23:29

HelterSkelter
mickscarey
KISS = SUCK

I second that emotion !!! Wow, common ground with me and Scary !!! Never could believe it....

Don't hit them too hard. They are still a very entertaining act to a very large number of people. We all must remember, this is the entertainment business. If the crowd in the Ed Sullivan theatre were any indication, KISS will be around for some time.

I venture to guess they did not need to turn on the Applause sign either.

CBII

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 8, 2009 00:25

will they never go away? CB11's correct though; they'll always be entertaining to some people. which is precisely why so many of us hated them in the first place; they were the first band to over-emphasize spectacle over music content. Alice Cooper, Genesis, Floyd also gave over-the-top visual performances but all of them had 2+ great albums apiece. Kiss never made their classic studio lp/cd. end of story, despite the never-ending live resume. yes, i know, each to his/her own, but damn they're irritating.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 8, 2009 01:53

I just recently attended (at the age of 50) my first Kiss concert. Surprisingly enjoyable, in the same way that a WWE show can be surprisingly enjoyable. I've been to over 300 concerts, including a number of Who shows, but this was the first time I'd ever actually SEEN someone smash and break a guitar. I can't say I would never see them again. Maybe in 2011, when they begin their never-ending Vegas residency, a gig to which they seem particularly well suited.

SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-08 06:05 by tatters.

Date: October 8, 2009 01:59

Winter, I would suggest listening to the first 3 Studio LP's
I think you will be surprised, they knew how to RnR AND Weave !

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: October 8, 2009 02:07

I don't really know what to think of this. It's not bad, but it's not all that good either. It's an improvement over anything they've done in at least 25 years, but that's not really saying much considering what they've done over the last 2-1/2 decades. They certainly aren't "back" by any means.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 8, 2009 02:26

Kiss is heading for their first U.S #1 album next week, we can add another dinosaur to the list of acts with #1 albums this decade, Elvis, Beatles, Streisand, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Dylan, Springsteen, Santana, Eagles, Gilmour, Johnny Cash...

Date: October 8, 2009 02:29

georgelicks
Kiss is heading for their first U.S #1 album next week, we can add another dinosaur to the list of acts with #1 albums this decade, Elvis, Beatles, Streisand, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Dylan, Springsteen, Santana, Eagles, Gilmour, Johnny Cash...

Are you serious? How many CDs do you have to sell to have a #1 album these days?

Date: October 8, 2009 02:43

trainarollin
The new CD is packaged with another CD of "Best of" songs...re-recorded by the New Kiss. What better way to insure that Peter and Ace are cut out of the loop of performance royalties. Sharon Osbourne did that to Blizzard of Oz.

wrong. this is a previously released disc that was made for japan. when wal mart signed kiss they just put it in as a bonus. has nothing to do with taking ace/peter out of the loop because they haven't been replaced on the actual albums from the 70's

Date: October 8, 2009 03:11

tatters
georgelicks

Are you serious? How many CDs do you have to sell to have a #1 album these days?

According to reports it will sell around 175k this week, maybe a bit more.

Date: October 8, 2009 05:51

georgelicks
tatters
georgelicks

According to reports it will sell around 175k this week, maybe a bit more.

That's pretty good in today's market, isn't it? How many copies does the #1 album sell in a typical week? Is it possible to sell under 100,000 and still be #1? Has that ever happened?

They only played one song from Sonic Boom when I saw them. The same one they played on Letterman. Of course, on this particular tour, they are recreating the 1975 album Kiss Alive, which means that the setlist, prior to the encore, must necessarily consist entirely of material taken from the first three Kiss albums. They do one long encore, featuring a few post-Kiss Alive hits, like Shout It Out Loud and Detroit Rock City, from 1976's Destroyer album, and the one song from the new Sonic Boom album.

Here's a good trivia question: Has any band ever toured with a #1 album, and only played ONE song from that current, chart-topping album???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-08 05:58 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 8, 2009 06:37

HelterSkelter
mickscarey
KISS = SUCK

Yeah I know Helter, but the difference is that you are far more analytical in your approach to topics....

Date: October 8, 2009 06:37

>>>That's pretty good in today's market, isn't it?

It's OK, nothing groundbreaking.

>>>How many copies does the #1 album sell in a typical week?

Depend on the month and the act, AC/DC debuted at #1 last year with 800k sold. This week's Streisand tops the chart with 180k. The average is 150k-200k.

>>>Is it possible to sell under 100,000 and still be #1? Has that ever happened?

Yep, many times actually. A couple of albums topped the charts with only 60k sold (that's the lowest mark so far), Johnny Cash's made the top spot in 2006 with only 88k.

>>>Here's a good trivia question: Has any band ever toured with a #1 album, and only played ONE song from that current, chart-topping album???[/quote]

The Stones were close in 2002 with Forty Licks, Don't Stop was the only new song played on the tour... but the album debuted at #2 behind Elvis with one of the biggest first week sales ever for a #2 album (310,000).

Date: October 8, 2009 07:25

I believe the Eagles didn't Promote "Hotel California" the LP in late 1976, though
they played that ONE Song.

Starting in 1977 they played most all of the Songs from that LP along with earlier Material, I base this on DVD's that I Have in my Collection

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-08 07:40 by gripweed.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: October 8, 2009 10:26

winter
had 2+ great albums apiece. Kiss never made their classic studio lp/cd. end of story, despite the never-ending live resume. yes, i know, each to his/her own, but damn they're irritating.

Sorry, no offense, but that's pure bullshit.

Ever heard their 1974 debut album? 8 out of 10 songs such as Deuce, Strutter, Black Diamond are still in their live set and familiar to most rock fans. The 1976 album Destroyer may be their definitive studio album with songs like Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Beth, Do you Love Me? and some more all time rock classics. Their 1975 ALIVE! album is one of the greatest live albums of all time. They have released almost 30 studio albums + I don't know how many Best Of compilations and touring the world for 35 years now.

I'm not a KISS fan but the band did their homework.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 8, 2009 12:00

bluesinc.
This is not Kiss. This is just a show band who is playing the same oldies but goldies show for the last 10 years. Now they made a new CD, are they all playing on the record or is it a lot of studio musicians who won´t get any crdeits like on Psycho Circus...

The session musicians from Psycho Circus are members of Kiss today...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: October 8, 2009 16:17

georgelicks

>>>Here's a good trivia question: Has any band ever toured with a #1 album, and only played ONE song from that current, chart-topping album???

The Stones were close in 2002 with Forty Licks, Don't Stop was the only new song played on the tour... but the album debuted at #2 behind Elvis with one of the biggest first week sales ever for a #2 album (310,000).[/quote]

I don't think Forty Licks really would have counted. They may have played only one of the four new songs, but they certainly played MANY of the other songs on that album. Thanks for all your answers though. Statistics are fun.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home