Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Does Ronnie get any royalties from Exile?
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:50

Lightnin'
skelly
so, can i assume that mr wood, as a band member, is earning money from the latest exile release?

No, he's not. And that is a fact. He doesn't play on it so he doesn't even get performance royalties. And all other forms of royalty income are not applicable for Mr Wood when it comes to Exile.
The Rolling Stones Corp. sold 164,000 copies of Exile on Main Street, and all shareholders in the company get a cut of the sales. Best case - they sell them all at $160 apiece, gross 26 million.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:52

There was some time earlier a discussion about, whether Taylor still gets money from recordsales of Stones records dating from the early 70's. It was said in that discussion that the Stones as a band got money from recordsales, and since Taylor was no longer a bandmember he didn't get any money from recordsales. In the same way since Wood IS a rolling Stones bandmember he does get money from the sales of old Stonesrecords. At least that's what i got from that thread, and it was specifically related to Rolling Stones Records, so i don't know if Wood (or any of the other Stones for that matter) atually still get any money from the sales of Decca records.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:55

Lightnin'
No, he's not. And that is a fact. He doesn't play on it so he doesn't even get performance royalties. And all other forms of royalty income are not applicable for Mr Wood when it comes to Exile.

Brue
The Rolling Stones Corp. sold 164,000 copies of Exile on Main Street, and all shareholders in the company get a cut of the sales. Best case - they sell them all at $160 apiece, gross 26 million.

And what exactly do you want to say with that ?
Did you look up the data from the Dutch Chamber of Commerce to find out who the shareholders (i.c. company directors) in Promotone B.V. are ?

Date: May 30, 2010 22:02

thabo
There was some time earlier a discussion about, whether Taylor still gets money from recordsales of Stones records dating from the early 70's. It was said in that discussion that the Stones as a band got money from recordsales, and since Taylor was no longer a bandmember he didn't get any money from recordsales. In the same way since Wood IS a rolling Stones bandmember he does get money from the sales of old Stonesrecords. At least that's what i got from that thread, and it was specifically related to Rolling Stones Records, so i don't know if Wood (or any of the other Stones for that matter) atually still get any money from the sales of Decca records.

No, you came away with the wrong conclusion entirely. With regard to entitlement of royalties, what matters is if you were a bandmember at the time of the recording/release of the album of course.

But in Taylor's case they've illegally withheld all artist royalties since 1981 over all records he played on which were originally on Rolling Stones Records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 22:08 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:14

Lightnin'
But in Taylor's case they've illegally withheld all artist royalties since 1981 over all records he played on which were originally on Rolling Stones Records.

Illegally? ....and in comes Taylor, plugs his guitar into the amp and says "Hey, let me help you out with some guitar licks on Plundered My Soul" to these alleged betrayers?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:15

Lightnin'

Well, we're back at the old conclusion and the logical yet difficult to answer question why Mick T. let this happen.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:20

Until someone posts the contract, or Mick Taylor goes to court, this thread will always be speculation.

Date: May 30, 2010 23:21

alimente
Illegally? ....and in comes Taylor, plugs his guitar into the amp and says "Hey, let me help you out with some guitar licks on Plundered My Soul" to these alleged betrayers?

When Taylor got the call, he could have declined but that would not have brought him any closer to a solution either, would it ? Maybe accepting the invitation gave Taylor the chance to talk with Jagger about unresolved business conflicts...
Allegedly, Taylor and Jagger still get on remarkably well personally and musically, despite the fact that there are these serious issues that need sorting out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 23:22 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: May 30, 2010 23:24

That Palin deal is the funniest thing I've ever seen on this site! Thank You!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 30, 2010 23:42

Lightnin'

This is bollocks -the Stones (Promogracht BV in this case) is not the collector of the royalties and therefore cannot witheld any payments to Taylor. This whole story is just not true.

Mathijs

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:17

I cannot find any reference,but I thought there was a quote from Taylor about not receiving any money from the Stones since 1982, Not sure why it stopped then since it was eight years after he left the band. I do hope he gets something from the re-issue, he seems like a very decent person.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: May 31, 2010 09:53

When Taylor got the call, he could have declined but that would not have brought him any closer to a solution either, would it ? Maybe accepting the invitation gave Taylor the chance to talk with Jagger about unresolved business conflicts...

Maybe so. Or maybe, like he has always claimed, he doesn't really care about any of that on a personal level and has no hard feelings towards them, and was just happy to do a favor when asked.

And unless the royalties from all their records are part of some kind of general fund they all draw from, I seriously doubt if Ronnie gets any money from anything before Love You Live and Some Girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-31 10:06 by boogie1969.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:23

Since most of this thread is presumably specualtions, what are the facts about Taylor finicial situation with the stones?
I don't see how they still "owe" him money for record sales. And, like Alimente stated, if they have disagreements about financial things why would have liked to play on Plundered my Soul?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:37

stonesrule
Perhaps Palin will introduce Ronnie and the Faces on their Alaska tour..."Straight From Siberia"

And they will do a version of Gerry and The Pacemakers "Ferry 'Cross the Bering"

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 31, 2010 12:12

melillo
only fitting every album since exile has been a lemon

ridiculous

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2010 15:35

do you mean a ridiculous lemon?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 31, 2010 21:05

melillo
do you mean a ridiculous lemon?
Don't be a troll.

Date: May 31, 2010 23:43

Wuudy
I don't see how they still "owe" him money for record sales. And, like Alimente stated, if they have disagreements about financial things why would have liked to play on Plundered my Soul?

Why can't you see that ? He's entitled to artist royalties over the records he helped to create. This applies to current record sales (the Exile reissue for instance) and, in Taylor's case, there's a significant amount of unpaid back royalties...
When a bandmember leaves, it doesn't change anything about the fact that he's supposed to get a percentage of the band's royalties (paid to the band by the recordcompany) for the LPs/CDs he was part of and that will continue to get sold around the world.

I don't find it that hard to imagine how Taylor and Jagger can enjoy meeting up and creating something together in the studio - just like in the old days - despite any differences they might have business wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-01 00:31 by Lightnin'.

Date: June 1, 2010 00:29

Mathijs
This is bollocks -the Stones (Promogracht BV in this case) is not the collector of the royalties and therefore cannot witheld any payments to Taylor. This whole story is just not true.

Mathijs

If the artist/record royalties are not paid to Promotone B.V. (the licensor of the copyright in the recordings) by the label then the whole exercise of choosing their registered office address in Amsterdam since 1970 would have been pointless. The reason for setting up a Dutch company (several Dutch companies) to handle their business is that royalty income is exempt from source tax in Holland.
Secondly, if there are no royalty payments coming in (as well as detailed quarterly accounting over the record sales), the Stones would sue the recordcompany (the licensee) faster than you can say jack rabbit.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 1, 2010 05:28

Brue
Lightnin'
skelly
so, can i assume that mr wood, as a band member, is earning money from the latest exile release?

Their share is not based on 100% of the retail price, it is the wholesale price, which is the price Universal sells to the distributors.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 1, 2010 05:32

Ronnie does not get any royalties from EXILE or any recording preceding his time with the band.

Promotone B.V. pay royalties to Mick Taylor for recordings made during his tenure.

Whether the royalties are the correct percentage or not is a question of legality, but Taylor still receivies regular royalty statements.

Lightnin' as I believe you are connected with the Taylor camp to an extent, I recommend asking him or his girlfriend that question if you doubt it. I suspect you'll find they would probably agree with the way I worded my response in the third sentence.

Date: June 1, 2010 05:38

Rocky Dijon
Ronnie does not get any royalties from EXILE or any recording preceding his time with the band.

Promotone B.V. pay royalties to Mick Taylor for recordings made during his tenure.

Whether the royalties are the correct percentage or not is a question of legality, but Taylor still receivies regular royalty statements.

Lightnin' as I believe you are connected with the Taylor camp to an extent, I recommend asking him or his girlfriend that question if you doubt it. I suspect you'll find they would probably agree with the way I worded my response in the third sentence.

And Promoright B.V. was set up specifically to handle royalties for "Ventilator Blues" and any other Stones Taylor-written songs (which never materilaized).

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: June 1, 2010 15:25

71Tele
And Promoright B.V. was set up specifically to handle royalties for "Ventilator Blues" and any other Stones Taylor-written songs (which never materilaized).
Promoright B.V. is not listed in the Dutch trade register...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 1, 2010 15:39

Gazza
Beelyboy
god i hope not. next chick he buys will be....well, what's east of russia...???

Alaska!

she's so hot .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 1, 2010 15:40

no .if he did not play on those albums no .

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 1, 2010 15:49

Lightnin'
Wuudy

Why can't you see that ? He's entitled to artist royalties over the records he helped to create. This applies to current record sales (the Exile reissue for instance) and, in Taylor's case, there's a significant amount of unpaid back royalties...
When a bandmember leaves, it doesn't change anything about the fact that he's supposed to get a percentage of the band's royalties (paid to the band by the recordcompany) for the LPs/CDs he was part of and that will continue to get sold around the world.

I don't find it that hard to imagine how Taylor and Jagger can enjoy meeting up and creating something together in the studio - just like in the old days - despite any differences they might have business wise.

The reason I don't understand it is why I asked if anyone knew what the facts are. I assume that he gets payed for sales of exile etc just like Wyman gets payed for them. As for royalties, ain't that the money someone gets for writing a song? Of course there is much debate over the years for which songs he feels he is entitled to get royalties. As for the songs he is officially listed a co-writer I assume he gets his money when the records are sold.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 1, 2010 15:59

i had no idea there were so many entertainment lawyers on this board.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 1, 2010 16:24

Unless Ronnie is an 'investor' in the reissuing of Exile, the only money's he's ever made from playing on any Exile tracks have come from:

live shows
live albums/releases/airplay/videos with/of Exile songs
performance or live show movies that feature Exile songs in them

Other than that, it makes zero sense why he would make a penny yet alone a dollar for any album before It's Only Rock'N'Roll since he's on the title track. And of course all albums after that.

Date: June 1, 2010 16:45

FreeBird
71Tele
Promoright B.V. is not listed in the Dutch trade register...

That was the original company for Taylor's royalties. Probably dissolved now.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 1, 2010 16:53

I always presumed (wrongly no doubt) that the Stones would've bought out Taylor's royalties many moons ago. Maybe when he was short of cash

But why anyone would think Ronnie would make any money from albums he's had nothing to do with is quite bizarre

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home