Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Does Ronnie get any royalties from Exile?
Posted by: skelly ()
Date: May 30, 2010 01:45

From the new release? It might be a strange question because obviously he never played on any of the tracks on the "new" release, but because he has since become a member of the Rolling Stones I wondered if he is due any payment from the current sales?

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Re: Does Ronnie get any royalties from Exile?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 01:55

can't see why he would since he's not on the album.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 30, 2010 02:22

yes, and he gets royalties from satanic majesties...oh, and from sgt. peppers, too...just to keep it from being another stones v. beatles thing....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 30, 2010 02:55

uh, no

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 30, 2010 02:57

Keith gave him some lemons....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 30, 2010 02:59

only fitting every album since exile has been a lemon

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 30, 2010 03:34

god i hope not. next chick he buys will be....well, what's east of russia...???

or to quote ronnie himself:

"sioigarrrrahglpeee u bitchhh lksoito[ijvdsm[oia[joijijkserrioopgppfsli driinkkkkkkkk nooooottttttt problemsmsssssssss falll down get up no problllmeeemmm. harrrr....ay matey. excuuuuuuuuuussse meeee bthingggg gonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa barffffy agaennnnnnn.....where my goddam poofy pantstssss u kbiattchhh hsaslllammmmm...."

i mean, he's better if they just buy him some food with whatever money might be lying around from the paintings..... might save what's left of his life.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 30, 2010 03:36

lemon trees...especially Myer lemon trees have the most exquisite smelling flower...not to mention large juicy and incredible tasting lemons.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 30, 2010 03:50

Beelyboy
god i hope not. next chick he buys will be....well, what's east of russia...???

Alaska!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 30, 2010 04:17

Perhaps Palin will introduce Ronnie and the Faces on their Alaska tour..."Straight From Siberia"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 30, 2010 04:28

"Drill baby, drill. Ooops!"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 30, 2010 04:34

They ripped the whole "Exile" concept off from me & I have been after them legally and sh!t for years...
& I still haven't seen a single dime.

Date: May 30, 2010 04:35

neither has mick taylor

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 30, 2010 07:03

What kind of question is that?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:28

melillo
neither has mick taylor

he gets royalties from Ventilator Blues.
if I understand correctly Bill, Charlie and all the others don't get a penny now.

it's all about songwriting...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 14:37

All fun aside. Good question. Since Ronnie is a full member of The Stones, doesn't he in fact share a piece of the pie of all their music on Rolling Stones records and marketing?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: May 30, 2010 17:24

melillo
neither has mick taylor

Amused
he gets royalties from Ventilator Blues.
if I understand correctly Bill, Charlie and all the others don't get a penny now.

it's all about songwriting...

Clearly, you don't understand correctly. May I suggest you take the beginner's course on royalties before making any public statements on this subject.
Publishing royalties (about 8,5 % in UK - for the songwriters) are calculated in a different way from record royalties (a percentage of RRP which, following negotiations, is set out in the recording contract with the label - the monies get split between bandmembers, or in case of the Stones: company directors).

To answer the question about Mr Wood: he's not a director in the company that is licensing Exile to the label, therefore he's not entitled to record royalties.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 17:27 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:32

does Mick n Keef get royalties from Slide on That?
jeroen

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:35

corriecas
does Mick n Keef get royalties from Slide on That?
jeroen

yes, from the live album, they do

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:37

Ron has got nothing to do with Exile.
thats why he dont get money. and rightly so.
jeroen

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:51

Lightnin'

Clearly, you don't understand correctly. May I suggest you take the beginner's course on royalties before making any public statements on this subject. Etc.

Well, Lightnin', take it a bit easier. "Beginners course", "Public statements". No need to say it that way. Allow me to make a 'public statement', but it's actualy rather an assumption. I think that money played an important role in the whole songwriting credits issue concerning Mick Taylor and The Glimmers. Jagger/Richards was well aware of the financial consequences of sharing some credits and therefore not willing to do that in a time when the internal band relations were bad anyway.

Date: May 30, 2010 19:25

this is what I've read...
from what I was understanding the band gets paid when they release the album - from sales etc etc. most of them are paid like session musicians, they get their share on the release and are totally out of it then (like Bobby Keys etc etc).

then songwriters are paid whenever their song is aired.

how wrong is that?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 20:20

gets tricky though because the stones own the material through promotone b.v.

Date: May 30, 2010 20:22

Kleermaker, maybe I should have placed a smiley after "beginner's course"
Nevertheless, I just don't see why anyone would make such a ridiculous suggestion like "Charlie and Bill don't receive a penny. It's all about songwriting."
If you're wondering how things are arranged then why not say you don't have the faintest idea but would like to know. Instead of making it sound like you're in the know and your statement is based on facts.

As far as the other topic goes, relationships in the band during the Taylor era were fine to start with except maybe the eternal competition between MJ and KR could at times turn into an atmosphere that was counterproductive. Around the time Exile was recorded, Keith's drug problems began to spiral out of control which formed a heavy burden for the whole band - as a result Jagger sought out Taylor's help more and more often, particularly during the post Exile period. The fact that MJ & MT had teamed up and got on well, both on a personal and musical level, did nothing to diminish Keith's jealousy. Then when Taylor did not get the songwriting credits despite the promises MJ had made him, he was very disappointed (understandably so).

My theory is that Jagger allowing this lopsided situation with Keith getting credits where he didn't deserve them, shows how stingy the pair of them are but also demonstrates that Jagger lacked the courage to do something that could draw Keith's ire.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 20:51 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 20:27

tatters

"Drill baby, drill. Ooops!"

Ugh! I cannot stand her or her ignorant, inbred, retarded crap.

But Jiminy Cricket, I would bang her so hard she would wouldn't poop right for a month!

Date: May 30, 2010 20:45

Amused
from what I was understanding the band gets paid when they release the album - from sales etc etc. most of them are paid like session musicians, they get their share on the release and are totally out of it then (like Bobby Keys etc etc).

how wrong is that?

It's simply not accurate.

Bandmembers are different from session musicians. Session musicians get paid on a "work for hire" basis - meaning a fee for the time they spent in the studio. In addition, in Europe at least, they are also entitled to performance royalties which are collected per country by the national PRO's (Performing Rights Organisations), when the songs they are part of get played in public, or on radio/TV.

Bandmembers have a right to artist/record royalties for every copy of the LP/CD that's sold, this right can be everlasting (used to be limited to 50 years but that is to change due to new legislation) . Depending on the percentage negotiated with the label, at the time of signing, this can be a significant amount - for a band with a lot of clout it could be 20%.

The interesting thing with the Stones is that through owning their own label Rolling Stones Records they don't have to settle for a measly rate like that (plus they get to keep the rights to their music). The recording contracts they signed, starting with Atlantic in the 70s are in fact only distribution deals and they can do whatever they want with the profit - i.c. split it among the company directors.

It's true that songwriters get paid from radio broadcasts etc, but so do bandmembers - and even sessionmusicians.

Here's an overview of different forms of royalty income
How do royalties work

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 23:27 by Lightnin'.

Date: May 30, 2010 21:24

and does it really work in the Stones when they print wrong song personnel and have no damn idea who played on a given track? smiling smiley
I suppose what they print is different to what they know but I can't believe it can be accurate in the past knowing what a drugged-out mess Stones sessions were, with crowds of people coming in and out...

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:26

Lightnin'
Amused

how wrong is that?

It's simply not accurate.

Bandmembers are different from session musicians. Session musicians get paid on a "work for hire" basis - meaning a fee for the time they spent in the studio. In addition, in Europe at least, they are also entitled to performance royalties which are collected per country by the PRO's (Performing Rights Organisations), when the songs they are part of get played in public, or on radio/TV.

Bandmembers have a right to artist/record royalties for every copy of the LP/CD that's sold, this right can be everlasting (used to be limited to 50 years but that is to change due to new legislation) . Depending on the percentage negotiated with the label, at the time of signing, this can be a significant amount - for a band with a lot of clout it could be 20%.

The interesting thing with the Stones is that through owning their own label Rolling Stones Records they don't have to settle for a measly rate like that (plus they get to keep the rights to their music). The recording contracts they signed, starting with Atlantic in the 70s are in fact only distribution deals and they can do whatever they want with the profit - i.c. split it among the company directors.

It's true that songwriters get paid from radio broadcasts etc, but so do bandmembers - and even sessionmusicians.

Here's an overview of different forms of royalty income
How do royalties work
Exactly. Ronnie's a member of the Stones and whatever income they get from an official source, he gets a piece. Don't deny the man his bread. You know he's struggling to survive on 75 million. He's got to pay those ho's, y'know. I just hope that Taylor gets a nice chunk for hisself>

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:35

so, can i assume that mr wood, as a band member, is earning money from the latest exile release?

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: May 30, 2010 21:43

skelly
so, can i assume that mr wood, as a band member, is earning money from the latest exile release?

No, he's not. And that is a fact. He doesn't play on it so he doesn't even get performance royalties. And all other forms of royalty income are not applicable for Mr Wood when it comes to Exile.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home