Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ya Yas Project Revisited....please read and respond
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 29, 2010 19:57

Hi and I'm hoping (mostly) everyone is enjoying the re-issue and re-discovery of Exile on Main Street-a Stones classic. I mostly read rather than post on this site unless something worth noting strikes my fancy. For those who don't know me, I'm one of the older Stones fan who has seen at least one Stones show on every tour since 1972. I chose not to see any shows from the Bigger Bang Tour (how many times can one see a greatest hits, Vegas style warhorses show?)...At this point in my life, I have no ambitions to see the Stones live unless they A) come to my hometown cool smiley play obscure hits or blues c) in a smaller arena (with or without Wyman or Taylor)...

My only agenda at this point is to see more archived and complete audio/video material in great quality such as 72/73 tour shows, El Mocambo, Paradiso & Brixton Academy 95, etc, etc and unreleased studio material (from any time period) see the light of day.. I am pretty optimistic that with enough interest, we can succeed in getting this material released. Why do I say this?

To refresh your memories, in late 2007, I was surfing the various Stones boards (including this one) and happen to be reading many posts bemoaning the fact that Get Yer Ya Yas Out (one of my favorite all time Stones albums) was not released in its entirety, and would it ever see the light of day with expanded tracks?....I then came up with a not too radical idea of starting a petition and presented it to the members of another Stones board who then crafted said petition. A number of us then flooded the various Stones fans board to "pitch" (I also placed an add in Goldmine magazine) and requested readers to sign our petition which many of you from this site helped with...We then sent the petition to Abkco and the Stones organization (by way of Chuck Leavell) with the help and thanks to people like Bill German...

Now, unless ABKCO and/or Mick Jagger tells me otherwise, I don't believe that the re-release of Ya Yas was a mere coincidence. Although there are fans who were not completely satisfied with the end result, we pretty much got what was asked for in the petition (unreleased live tracks, music from the supporting acts)... I speculate (and certainly cannot prove this), but our efforts may have also played a part in the re-release of Exile...

Anyway, with the release and (mostly) good reviews for the expanded Exile on Main Street, this may be the best opportunity for a second petition and/or letter writing campaign to ABKCO (requesting archived material from 63-70) and/or Stones/their new label requesting archived material from 1971 onward....

This would require some work and involvement from many Stones fans who are interested...Unfortunately, some of the major players who were involved in the original Ya yas petition (including one gentleman who crafted it and posted it on-line) sadly may not be involved this time...Therefore, I am proposing a sort of follow-up petition/letter writing campaign from members on this board (I myself am not the most computer literate fellow so I would need someone with technical skills to post a well worded petition on-line)... I am certainly willing to get involved with this...however, if I cannot get enough interest and support from others, I will understand and not proceed....your responses and feedback are welcome....

Re: Ya Yas Project Revisited....please read and respond
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 29, 2010 21:58

I think they've always known that the fans wanted extra stuff. They never released much of that, until last year. I think they kept the vaults closed to have an ace in the hole for a record contract. They used that when they signed to Universal. Think about it: Was your petition the first ever for a vaults release? I think they've gotten many requests like that down the years. They just used their ace in the hole because A- It was a good carrot to get a new contract, and B- It has to be used when they're still living.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 29, 2010 22:09

Welcome friend, a man after my own heart, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments regarding the band.

I will gladly join in any representations to get more stuff from the pre-Wood era released.

Meanwhile, I was still thinkin'.........

Date: May 29, 2010 22:17

JumpingKentFlash- your observations are certainly valid. But once again, the re-release of Ya Yas (along with the content of what was released on the discs) certainly followed the time line of our petition and/or what was requested on said petition...

My point here is pretty simple: With the re-release of Exile and fans/reviewers response to it, THIS MAY BE THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO FOLLOW UP with fan requests for more archived material. We have many Stones fans on this board with different takes and opinions on what is important to them..However, within that group, we also have many like myself who would like to see more archived material released....If we want to see these rarities released from the vaults, then we need to get together and make it happen...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 29, 2010 22:20

JumpingKentFlash
I think they've always known that the fans wanted extra stuff. They never released much of that, until last year. I think they kept the vaults closed to have an ace in the hole for a record contract. They used that when they signed to Universal. Think about it: Was your petition the first ever for a vaults release? I think they've gotten many requests like that down the years. They just used their ace in the hole because A- It was a good carrot to get a new contract, and B- It has to be used when they're still living.

You are doing the Lord's work, Sir. We owe you our thanks.

Date: May 29, 2010 22:29

I think Scott makes a good point. Obviously no one can be sure, but there it is: Ya-Ya's and then Exile. Much of what the original petition asked for, we received. So, who cares if it wasn't the sole instigator in bringing these releases about? maybe it was part of one big push from very different directions and sources. Maybe Jagger read the petition and cried "Holy Sh8T, I got to re-release Exile!"; or maybe it never caused a ripple at all. But if all it costs us is a signature, I am willing to gamble. And help out, like I did last time.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 29, 2010 22:55

I think anyone on this board would welcome a petition and would happily give you credit.
The biggest problem in our world today is people who complain but never DO.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 29, 2010 23:21

I sertaintly believe it's worth the try, like last time. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: May 30, 2010 00:27

You know now that the touring days are either winding down or over its going to be all about new revenue streams for the boys so the catalogue is it hopefully it will be done well

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 30, 2010 00:55

Sounds like a good idea to me, there does seem to be a movement to get some of the older unreleased stuff out , and indeed a lot has come to light, old radio shows are getting an airing ect and with all the technology that exists now there should be no excuse for not releasing this stuff,surely somebody somewhere can get heads together and get all the BBC stuff out there for example,there might not be a great deal of money in it for some people, but what is the point of having music recorded and indeed filmed over the lifetime of a band sitting in vaults.
Sorry if I went slightly off the topic,anything that gets something happening is fine by me , bring on your petition and show me where to sign.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 01:06

Petition idea sounds good, we should start with a poll about which would be the next archive release - What do we want next?

BBC Deluxe Package
Some Girls Deluxe
Beggars Deluxe
Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed Deluxe
Early Tracks from Chess, IBC, Etc..

Date: May 30, 2010 01:49

Lynd8-as long as your talking about polls, my next post was going to be along the lines of a general survey of sorts...Since there is so much material (and we might not get agreement from everyone on this about their preferences), do people on this board prefer to acquire material from the early years 63-70 (i.e. ABKCO/Decca/London) or from the time frame of when the Stones got their own label 1971-present?

Date: May 30, 2010 01:57

Let's not push for an obscure project, but stick with something that we can assume has a chance for success; like Some Girls or Sticky Fingers.
I would love an IBC/Chess release; but don't see it as realistic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 01:59 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2010 12:53

I'm in and go for Sticky Fingers

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:18

Focus on live shows and show the world how good they were in their heydey.

in order: '72 US tour/'73 European tour, '78 tour, '75 tour.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: May 30, 2010 13:46

I like the live stuff too, but I'd prefer to get studio outtakes more than anything. To tell you the truth, I could skip the whole reamstering thing and just do a CD "Bootleg Series" like Dylan. I'd love to see a 4 CD boxed set for the 60's and a 4 CD boxed set for the 70's and maybe even a release for 80's and 90's. It might even be easier for them as it gets kind of blurry sometimes; where each song had its genesis may not be where it ended up.

Hitting such high numbers in the charts with the re-release though means they will likely stick to this type of format, but I'm not sure every album warrants a deluxe treatment - I certainly wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure the general public is dying for remastered "Dirty Work" or a few others. The trick is to still get the outtakes from the clunkers as they are still kind of fun in some cases.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 30, 2010 16:34

Lynd8
I like the live stuff too, but I'd prefer to get studio outtakes more than anything. To tell you the truth, I could skip the whole reamstering thing and just do a CD "Bootleg Series" like Dylan. I'd love to see a 4 CD boxed set for the 60's and a 4 CD boxed set for the 70's and maybe even a release for 80's and 90's. It might even be easier for them as it gets kind of blurry sometimes; where each song had its genesis may not be where it ended up.

studio outtakes with original vocals - yes. Outtakes with modern-day lyrics/vocals - no. And knowing Jagger (and what we have seen with Exile) there are bound to be overdubs at some point with your suggestion.

Personally, I would love Brussels Affair released to the general public. Even though "we" don't get anything new, but the world would see the band as the Greatest live band at the time.

Date: May 30, 2010 16:44

Eleanor Rigby
Lynd8

studio outtakes with original vocals - yes. Outtakes with modern-day lyrics/vocals - no. And knowing Jagger (and what we have seen with Exile) there are bound to be overdubs at some point with your suggestion.

Personally, I would love Brussels Affair released to the general public. Even though "we" don't get anything new, but the world would see the band as the Greatest live band at the time.

Well, you are "on spot" with that - "Brussels Affair" is pretty great. I like Ya-Ya's and have played it for over 25 years, but I always wished it had Gimme Shelter, which Brussels does have plus 4-5 Exile tracks. My version has some bonus tracks from Vienna which were about one month before Brussels and included "Sweet Virginia". So - if they do Brussels, I say go for some bonus material from the whole tour too!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:53

Eleanor Rigby
studio outtakes with original vocals - yes. Outtakes with modern-day lyrics/vocals - no.

I couldn't agree more .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2010 19:10

Eleanor Rigby
Lynd8

I agree with Eleanor, though I don't care that much for any release of studio outtakes: they're doing fine on bootlegs. But I would love to have a live CD from the 70, 71, 72 and 73 tours (a box of four), with the whole setlist and extra songs on them. Not an integral Brussels, but a compilation of the best songs from each tour. For instance: in 1973 Gimme Shelter and YCAGWYW were better performanced in London EP. Brussels is great, but we say that also because of its outstanding sound quality. But musically it's not overall the best.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 19:59

They are already working on Some Girls, according to Keith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home