Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jumpin' Jack Flash on Get yer ya ya's out
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:50

I have read many years ago, that JJF was recording from the Europe Tour 1970(sweeden) and not from the USA tour 69.
I have many bootlegs from 69 tour and 1970, and it's true that the version of JJF
on GYYYO seems to be much closer at 1970 version than 1969 .
First Show in Malmoe August 30 1970 .Publication of GYYYO 4 september1970 .
Do you know something about that.
Thanks for the answer

Re: Jumpin' Jack Flash on Get yer ya ya's out
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:03

The recording is from MSG 69. The vocals were overdubbed although you are correct that Mick started singing it like the YA YAs version on the European tour.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:04

General wisdom is it's November 27th show.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:39

I dig it with Johnny Winter...Johnny Winter And Live...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:41

It's too bad he didn't keep the 'alright, alright' part instead of doing that boring 'allllllrrriiiiiigggggghhhhttt' part. He should have at LEAST kept to the live vibe of it. Horrible awful vocal O/D. And where is that counter guitar line that Taylor played that is so evident in the Gimme Shelter movie version? I wished they (ABKCO/UMe) would have released a version like that on the extra disc.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 22, 2010 15:57

texas fan
General wisdom is it's November 27th show.

true, you can still hear mick shouting "Jumpin' Jack Flash" at the end (which is on the boot) if you listen carefully .

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 22, 2010 17:02

> where is that counter guitar line that Taylor played that is so evident in the Gimme Shelter movie version?

here: [www.hungercity.org]

Date: May 22, 2010 18:21

skipstone
It's too bad he didn't keep the 'alright, alright' part instead of doing that boring 'allllllrrriiiiiigggggghhhhttt' part. He should have at LEAST kept to the live vibe of it. Horrible awful vocal O/D. And where is that counter guitar line that Taylor played that is so evident in the Gimme Shelter movie version? I wished they (ABKCO/UMe) would have released a version like that on the extra disc.

Why not sing like on the studio version? Never been done, except for the first chorus on Rock´n´Roll Circus...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2010 22:11

DandelionPowderman
Why not sing like on the studio version? Never been done, except for the first chorus on Rock´n´Roll Circus...

Because he didn't sing it like the studio version live on that tour but the "live" album has him singing it like the studio version? That might be why. I like that version better, the one in Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 23, 2010 02:18

i have a ticket stub from that show

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 23, 2010 02:25

mickscarey
i have a ticket stub from that show
mickscary..Has ya spelling got any better since we last seen ya? (beetles)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 23, 2010 02:57

There's an @$$-load of vocal overdubs on this album, much of it blatant enough for a 12 year old to pick up on (yup, have been considering it over-rated for the last 24 years!)

Hell, that 'sailors in Paris verse wasn't even sung in the original show - you can hear the original verse bleed through (must have been picked up by drum mics or something)!!! Awful! Love You Live has got a lot of the same thing on it (Star Star, Sympathy).

For me it's one of the main reasons (but not all) why I consider ranking Ya-Ya's up there with the 'greatest rock live albums of all time' to be utter nonsense.

If I'm gong for A-1 Live, hot, amazing blues-rcok played by white dudes... I look no further than The Allman Brothers at Filmore East. Good thing they never played together, the Allmans would have musically owned the Stones!

(they still kind of do)

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-23 03:00 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 23, 2010 03:00

kudos for the allman bros prop....long live the brothers of the road

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 23, 2010 03:06

I guess one reason overdubs on an album like Ya'Ya's don't bother me is becauase back then they were not covering up for a lack of abililty, they were just trying to make what was in their minds a better product.

Date: May 23, 2010 05:02

I know what you mean, ryan. But still... it ain't all live. Period.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2010 05:06

jamesfdouglas
There's an @$$-load of vocal overdubs on this album, much of it blatant enough for a 12 year old to pick up on (yup, have been considering it over-rated for the last 24 years!)

Hell, that 'sailors in Paris verse wasn't even sung in the original show - you can hear the original verse bleed through (must have been picked up by drum mics or something)!!! Awful! Love You Live has got a lot of the same thing on it (Star Star, Sympathy).

For me it's one of the main reasons (but not all) why I consider ranking Ya-Ya's up there with the 'greatest rock live albums of all time' to be utter nonsense.

If I'm gong for A-1 Live, hot, amazing blues-rcok played by white dudes... I look no further than The Allman Brothers at Filmore East. Good thing they never played together, the Allmans would have musically owned the Stones!

(they still kind of do)

Allmans and Stones is apples and oranges...Overdubs or no, the guitar interplay on Ya-Yas has never been matched since then. It is the live album all live albums are measured against. If that album is overrated, then so is Shakespeare, French cuisine, and great sex.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: May 23, 2010 05:24

jamesfdouglas-

I don't know who owned who, but I think my brother told me he saw the ABB open for the Stones July 4, 1972 at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C.?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 23, 2010 05:36

the main reason mick overdubbed is vocals is because he jumps around onstage

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2010 05:45

Always love those abbreviations

BB = Beggars Banquet
BB = Brigitte Bordeaux
ABB = A Bigger Bang
ABB = Allman Bros Band
BTB = Bridges To Babylon
BTB = Between The Buttons
BTB = Back To Black

Date: May 23, 2010 11:12

ShaTurd
jamesfdouglas-

I don't know who owned who, but I think my brother told me he saw the ABB open for the Stones July 4, 1972 at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C.?

They were still recovering from the loss of Duane at that point.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Brano ()
Date: May 23, 2010 13:21

jamesfdouglas

(they still kind of do)

Well, At Fillmore East is my favorite live album ever (Ya-Ya's are up there as well), but isn't it also guilty of heavy studio editing? Anyway, great music is great music no matter how it originated, I don't care about it's historical accuracy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-23 13:23 by Brano.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 23, 2010 16:36

71Tele
jamesfdouglas

(they still kind of do)

Allmans and Stones is apples and oranges...Overdubs or no, the guitar interplay on Ya-Yas has never been matched since then. It is the live album all live albums are measured against. If that album is overrated, then so is Shakespeare, French cuisine, and great sex.

Well said :-))

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 23, 2010 19:52

Does anyone have or remember the version of JJF from YAS-YAS that featured a solo from Keith that was over Dudded ? Of course it was not used. Interesting, just did not fit IMO. Glad it was not used as we all know he did not play lead on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-23 19:54 by deeppurple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home