Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

really, first time I heard "EXILE" in 1972 i was dissapointed
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:57

wEll, I am 57---and I grown up With "tell me"-"Last time"--"cloud"-"Paint it, black-"mothers little helper"-"Shadow"--,dont forget "Satisfaction!---THEN beggars---Bleed---Ya yays. Exile was a disapointment, after first hearing!
Bought Their "EXILE" 2010 deluxe-----and its awesome. changed my mind!!!

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: really, first time I heard "EXILE" in 1972 i was dissapointed
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:04

Mebbe u were expecting obvious 'hit' stuff and the layered vocals and depth of sound were not what you were expecting? and after u got into for awhile you were able to hear it on "their" terms sorta??? a lot of folks have said something similar. mebbe this was your experience? were you kinda expecting shorter more 'hit' songs etc...?

ohhh just re-read. only the NEW 2010 changed your mind?? never mind. you're a hopeless slave to hype with no ears of your own

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 23:07 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:08

Havo
wEll, I am 57---and I grown up With "tell me"-"Last time"--"cloud"-"Paint it, black-"mothers little helper"-"Shadow"--,dont forget "Satisfaction!---THEN beggars---Bleed---Ya yays. Exile was a disapointment, after first hearing!
Bought Their "EXILE" 2010 deluxe-----and its awesome. changed my mind!!!

Are you saying you just changed your mind, as a result of listening to the new release?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:10

I don't know about others here but I think I have very high expectations whenever a new LP is released and always am a bit disappointed .

In general I need a few listens to warm up to the new releases . No matter the decade in which they were put out .

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:11

exactly--treaklefingers

Date: May 18, 2010 23:22

boston2006
I don't know about others here but I think I have very high expectations whenever a new LP is released and always am a bit disappointed .

In general I need a few listens to warm up to the new releases . No matter the decade in which they were put out .

Totally agree...when I bought Tattoo you, I was SO disappointed with side two...first time I listened to it and liked it, i was hungover.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:35

I didn't get what all the hype was about Exile the first couple of times I heard it, I thought this is a classic?...I finally got it when I took a long drive and listened, really listened to the CD...now it always on my iPod and in my car...

I know what you mean about side two of Tattoo You as well, loved side one from the get go...as I got older 30+ and now well into my 40s I appreciate at it much more...some of side one sounds trite now...some just overplayed.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: May 19, 2010 01:06

For me anyway, that is the difference between Stones music and Beatles music.
Beatles music is generally much more accessible from the get go, but then I tire of it quickly.
Stones music takes a lot of listens sometimes but I don't generally get tired of it. (some possible exceptions, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction...mainly because they are just so overplayed).

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 02:26

When Exile was released a LA radio station played it in full, side by side with breaks in between. I was in a laundromat just east of the Forum on Manchester Blvd. The place was busy and I was doing laundry, then running out to catch the start, then each side as it was broadcast. I remember getting scolded by a lady who thought I was taking up space in the laudromat and not moving my clothes along fast enough. But I was not going to miss a song. I saw this word used and I think it is apt...It was dense. It took a while to comprehend, to sort out. But it was a thrill to see those songs played live a few weeks later down the road at the Forum. Saw the band again in the same building 6 months later. It was a good time period. I am still partial to the '69 tour, but that '72 show was something to behold.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 19, 2010 03:02

by the time side one was over first listen thru i was kinda stunned. they had me 'drummer thinks that he is dynamite'...back those days i was used to listening to albums in their full length; it was the waythings were offered traditionally, aside from obvious singles, but if you bought analbum, you listened to it. all ofit. it seemed anyway. back in the day. i like that format btw.thirty five minutes or forty and i tried to take the whole offering as representative of the band at that time. any band. i had listened to a lot of blues as a teenager and found sides three and four compelling even tho the obvious pop nature of side one and two totally thrilled me. i guess i liked it all very much. honestly side one got played over and over at first. i lived on it for a long time. but i often played all of it as a piece. i wish i listened more like that in the sped up modern era...things back to the 'single' 'hit' kinda thing that 'album rock' displaced.... for awhile.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 19, 2010 03:10

loved sides 1 and 4 from the first listen, sides 2 and 3 took a few more spins but not many.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:06

i only knew the big hits (satisfaction, paint it black, angie) when i got exile form my stepfather. that was around 1985 and i was 12. honestly i didnt understand that kind of music. it sounded just all muddy and noisy to my child-ears. took some years to get into it. know it's among my 3 most important lp's of all time....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:38

I was introduced to EXILE in 1982 in my first year as a Rolling Stones fan. I ordered it by mail with BEGGARS BANQUET - and those probably were my Stones albums #10 and #11 or so. The first was the brand-new TATTOO YOU, then whatever I happened to find in my local stores: duoble of STONE AGE/GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT!, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, AROUND AND AROUND, BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES (Finnish Collection of 60's hits), their first album, AFTERMATH, STILL LIFE... so that's the albums I knew from them by then. From somewhere I read that those two albums (EXILE and BEGGARS) are their best, so I ordered them by mail...'

If I remember right neither of the albums didn't make much impression for me by the first listening (even though I was excited of looking their covers, especially EXILE - vinyl days!), "Sympathy" sounded great but the standard of quality seemed to go down after it, "Rocks off" sounded also great but then it started to sound shapeless mud... but I gave them another - and another - listening, and the rest is history...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 12:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:41

About a week or two after the US release of Exile four of us travelled
ta Melbourne looking for import copy of album .... Found it in Archie & Jugheads
when the store was down an arcade somewhere between Collins & Flinders .....

We were all flippin' over the cover and those track titles as we fell
outta the shop....outside we all opened the cover and started diggin' around
in the record slips and for some crazy reason I got lucky and scored
two sets of the cards ...... Can still remember all the other mates were
slaggin' me .... slammin' me against the wall and yellin' .... How did ya rig
that ya prick?....How come you get two-sets and we get one?..... Geeeeeez it could only happen to you.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 19, 2010 13:55

Ya can't have been doing the right drugs Havo!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2010 15:09

Havo

As If I have been writing it myself...1972 Ziggy Stardust was the BIG THING in music and schallplatten!

smoking smiley

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 15:33

Any album, even Exile, which follows Sticky Fingers might seem a let down at first. Sticky Fingers had the hits and focus which Exile lacked. Sticky and Exile - one hell of a one two punch.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:01

I can remember well when I first heard Exile.

A friend told me wonders of it, and gave me a tape recording. It was around the time DIrty Work came out.

By the time I got at home I was both exited and desperately in need of a toilet. So the first time I played Exile I was on a portable cassette player, while sitting on the toilet.

I was truly blown away. No words.

C

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:51

This is the best thread I`ve ever seen. Finally somebody who`s speaking the thruth. Exile is a clear example of history being revised. I can`t see what people see in it, it`s all shallow and muddy, and how could they issue the album`s best track; "Thumbling Dice" in such a poor sound quality?-And how can people give the album 11 points out of 10 possible?

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:06

I loved Exile from the get-go. The proper way to listen to it is to play the entire thing, start to finsh, and then to play it again, a little louder the second time. Be sure to invite some friends over and have lots of beer on hand. It's the best party you'll ever have.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:31

I remember being freaked out by the pic of the black guy with the billiard balls in his mouth. It seemed pretty racist and he looked like he'd been forced to put them in his mouth. Never found out the truth about that pic but it certainly was disturbing.

I also remember not playing certain tracks too loud when my folks were around - there certainly were a lot of drug references on there...drop your reds, drop your greens and blues and also swearing. Made me like it more though.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:10

had the luxury of living in Boston with friends and all of us were unemployed, so we played it non stop. We knew it was a handful and we loved it all.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:23

"Bought Their "EXILE" 2010 deluxe-----and its awesome. changed my mind!!!"

What's the difference?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:36

"he looked like he'd been forced to put them in"

That is TOTALLY ridiculous!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:48

I remember when I first bought it in 72 I had "mixed emotions".
Reviews were very mixed too.

It was different to Sticky Fingers and as a whole didn't hit a German teenager with its first listening.

But some songs - like Rocks off, T. Dice, S. Virginia, Happy, Let it loose, All donwn the line and Shine a light - I liked from the start. Others took some time.
The cover, concept and art of the album I liked from the beginning.

It's one of the great 5 to me!
Bleed,Beggars, Fingers Exile and YaYa's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 19:51 by CousinC.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:57

i remember shoplifting it from a store in NYC.... i was very proud of myself....yikes true story

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 19, 2010 20:24

I wasn't disappointed, the first time I heard Exile in 1972, and the double album grew and grew. But, though I'm familiar with the kind of stuff on the 'Exile' Bonus CD, I'm disappointed about it after several listenings. It's not more than average, on average. It could have been so much better. That's the most disappointing thing to me.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 20, 2010 02:55

I wasn't disappointed from the bonus tracks. I didn't expect much.
The Stones are not Bob Dylan who has lots of great stuff unreleased in the can.

Perhaps they could have done it better. But it is not that important to me.

Exile had a big second coming and many new people will get to hear and learn to love this wonderful album!

That's great to me . . !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home