Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile #1 in U.K. Midweek sales
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 18, 2010 14:33

From Music Week:

"The Rolling Stones’ revamped Exile On Main Street is looking to pull off the rare feat of a catalogue title topping the UK albums chart after opening up a narrow sales lead over Faithless.

The re-issued Polydor album, which adds an additional 10 tracks to the original 1972 set, is currently around 1,600 sales ahead of the newly-issued Faithless album The Dance, with DFA/Parlophone’s LCD Soundsystem completing a top three of new entries.

If the Stones do hold on to the top spot by the end of the week, Polydor and the band would have pulled off a very rare chart achievement. Although catalogue titles have topped the singles chart on numerous occasions, it is very unusual for a catalogue release to reach number one on the albums chart outside of best of sets, although it has happened before. T Rex’s first two 1968-issued albums, Prophets, Seers And Sages The Angels Of The Ages, and My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair But Now They’re Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows, reached number one in May 1972 in a double package. Coincidently, a month after T Rex made number one, Exile On Main Street hit the top during its original release. More recently, the Traveling Wilburys' two albums were united as Collection, which reached number one in June 2007."

Just for the record:
In 2002, Forty Licks was #1 during all the midweek chart but debuted at #2 on the final chart, missing the #1 spot by less than 1,000 copies (Elvis 99k - Stones 98k)

In 2005, A Bigger Bang again #1 all the week but missed the #1 spot by only 11 copies against James Blunt on the final chart.

Re: Exile #1 in U.K. Midweek sales
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2010 14:40

Mid-week sales?

Surely thats a bit early as it was only released yesterday.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:27

Great great great!!!thumbs up

I can see DELUXE SOME GIRLS, DELUXE SICKY FINGERS, or even THE PATHE MARCONI OUT-TAKES in my eyes now...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:29

Gazza
Mid-week sales?

But doesn't that mean that it sold amazingly well in its first day?

- Doxa

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:30

Wow, I didn't expect this!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:36

Hope the sucker will sell by truckloads so Jagger will be temped to do more of this.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:42

Georgelicks: Thanks for the info. DO you have a U.S. prediction you'd care to share?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:46

starstar74
Georgelicks: Thanks for the info. DO you have a U.S. prediction you'd care to share?

The album was released today in the U.S, we'll get a prediction tomorrow direct from Billboard.

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: May 18, 2010 15:53

great news indeed - Bought my copy today at HMV in London...

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 16:01

Seems like at worse Top 5 first week in. At the end of the day, if you got a good product, people will buy it. Go Stones. I agree, I want deluxe of everything

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 18, 2010 16:54

Man I'm totally having a Stones party on sunday. what with the exile Doc and a hour of rio showing on the Beeb.

Cherry on the cake would be a Number 1. album

Might have trouble getting to work on monday.

Rockin'

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:09

Doxa
Gazza
Mid-week sales?

But doesn't that mean that it sold amazingly well in its first day?

- Doxa

Yes, although I guess first-day sales include pre-orders. Wouldnt that be the case?

With all the hype in the press about this release, it should do well. I honestly didnt expect anything near a top 10 position though (its a re-release of an album which wasnt a HUGE seller, after all ) so this sounds very encouraging.

A tip of the hat to UMG for the way they've pushed this release (as well as pushing the Stones to co-operate in assembling an expanded version AND in promoting it). The sales for last year's remasters were terrible, so it's great to see what appears to be a big turnaround.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:51

Maybe I should fly over to UK and get my copy theregrinning smiley

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:53

today i went buyin my copy here in italy, and they told me a mad guy bought 25 super deluxe editions. Who was, guys XD

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:58

farawayeyes2
today i went buyin my copy here in italy, and they told me a mad guy bought 25 super deluxe editions. Who was, guys XD

not me, just one

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:05

Its gonna go top, ive seen all the hype,
tv ads on sky, all over the monthly mags
plus radio interviews,I was in asda today, hundreds of copies of exile on the shelves at £10- 99p well sorted.
now for the first time in twenty years im gonna
play me new exile, pure bliss.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:20

well go baby go! :E
a round of DIY rock & roll confetti for everyone

instructions:
1] download
2] print out
3] cut up
4] fling around
5] repeat as necessary

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:51

Thanks, georgelicks. It's so good to see quality and quantity together. Let's hope Exile becomes the No. 1 album all over the world!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:55

Hahaha, With Sssoul, that's funny!

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:57

I just went to pick up a copy at Best Buy and Target and they were 100% sold out. I couldn't believe it.

All Target had was that extra bonus tracks for $10 that I didn't want. I want the whole thing.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:11

Yeah, some of the Best Buy stores in the Chicago area sold out of the deluxe versions. It's backorderd for online purchasing on their site as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:25

Amazon Canada...#1 in music for deluxe set...old news I know but

#4 in music for super deluxed set.

Unbefreakin'-leivable!!

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:29

Sorry for posting again so quickly on this thread...but I was so excited I missed this.

In the top twenty in music, Exile holds 4 spots.
#1 for Deluxe
#4 for Super Deluxe
#18 for remastered
#19 for vinyl

UNBELIEVABLE!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:31

Wow this is great.

I went to the HMV in richmond yesterday and they didnt have the super deluxe version. I've only ever bought the album once, in 1994, so i can 'almost' justify the big bucks for the big box set. I'm gonna try hmv in kingston tomorrow and see if they have it. Can't wait to hear all the bonus tracks.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home