Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ROLLING STONES PRODUCER SAYS 10 ALBUMS OF OUTTAKES POSSIBLE
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:20

5/13/2010

Rolling Stones producer Don Was says that there are easily enough gems in the band's vaults to release 10 new high quality studio albums. Was, who remixed and co-produced the newly finished tracks on the upcoming Exile On Main Street reissue due out on May 18th, told Rolling Stone that if he had his druthers he'd dip next into the band's late '70s Paris sessions, saying, "There's a lot from the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue period. There are eight or nine really good songs that don't go on the album each time for some reason -- maybe there's too many ballads or something like that. But they could make a lot of albums from unused material."

Was says that the songs could make up a new collection -- rather than be tacked onto past Stones classics: "I don't know if it's got to be linked to a specific album -- It doesn't have to be for musicologists. Maybe you just put 10 great songs together from a long time ago, like 'Give Me A Hamburger,' which was recorded a little to early to make the new Exile. You could do 10 albums like that, easy."

The Stones are a band with no shortage of unreleased material. Was told us that he was presented with days worth of unreleased tracks from 1970 to 1972 while picking the 10 outtakes for the revamped Exile On Main Street: "I went through hundreds of ours of tape, I don't even know . . . Y'know, initially they sent me, Mick (Jagger) and Keith (Richards) sent me at least 40 songs or song fragments, so we really tried to choose the things that we wouldn't have to do much to."

Re: ROLLING STONES PRODUCER SAYS 10 ALBUMS OF OUTTAKES POSSIBLE
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:23

OK, Tattoo You Tou is next up for release!
...and the nice thing about that, is that there will be less bitching about the overdubs, or new vocals.
...ah, who am I kidding!?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:45

Aah, what a teaser...

I would love to have a Pathe Marconi sessions out-take album. Based on what we already know and have, there is very strong material on the vaults.

With Was I think that it would be easier to kill the link between certain albums and do instead a Dylan like "bootleg series" thing: to pick up a certain period or a theme. I guess even with EXILE the link was a bit artificial and taken quite vaguely.

- Doxa

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:46

Maybe we could finally get those multi-CD anthology boxes?smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:57

So what are they waiting for? Release it immediately!

smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:08

That would be cool. Great news. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:25

If anyone has ever thought that these boys are NOT the greatest rock n' roll band in the world, then truly - think again. I do hope some of this other material gets released in due course. This entire Exile re-release appears to have somewhat invigorated them, or at least Mick n' Keith. One thing it seems, there's no real signs that they're intending to hang it all up for good ... it would appear we're entering a curious new era in the history of the band. Wonder what it'll bring us ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:42

Very very good thinking from Was there. smiling smiley

Making deluxe editions of albums already released ten times when there's no obvious connection between the albums and the outtakes isn't the right way to go. I'm glad Don Was realizes there's potential for a real "bootleg series" kind of thing.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:59

ghostryder13
5/13/2010

Rolling Stones producer Don Was says that there are easily enough gems in the band's vaults to release 10 new high quality studio albums. Was, who remixed and co-produced the newly finished tracks on the upcoming Exile On Main Street reissue due out on May 18th, told Rolling Stone that if he had his druthers he'd dip next into the band's late '70s Paris sessions, saying, "There's a lot from the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue period. There are eight or nine really good songs that don't go on the album each time for some reason -- maybe there's too many ballads or something like that. But they could make a lot of albums from unused material."

Was says that the songs could make up a new collection -- rather than be tacked onto past Stones classics: "I don't know if it's got to be linked to a specific album -- It doesn't have to be for musicologists. Maybe you just put 10 great songs together from a long time ago, like 'Give Me A Hamburger,' which was recorded a little to early to make the new Exile. You could do 10 albums like that, easy."

The Stones are a band with no shortage of unreleased material. Was told us that he was presented with days worth of unreleased tracks from 1970 to 1972 while picking the 10 outtakes for the revamped Exile On Main Street: "I went through hundreds of ours of tape, I don't even know . . . Y'know, initially they sent me, Mick (Jagger) and Keith (Richards) sent me at least 40 songs or song fragments, so we really tried to choose the things that we wouldn't have to do much to."

I hope that they will consider doing some kind of archive releases. I'm not an anorak and don't need every single last botched take and toenail clipping but a few CDs of the more complete tracks would make for a great addition to the current CD catalogue. An archive live DVD would be a nice as well but I suppose they will watch how well L&G sells before going down that road.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 13:40

Don Was said recently that the Stones use a huge amount of tape during sessions and they have a huge warehouse of tapes somewhere in england and mentioned during the recording of bridges to babylon he needed a daytime and night time librarians to keep track of the tapes.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:22

One has to wonder if with all of this talk of outtakes being re-done/re-released means we aren't going to see a new album of newly written songs such as we saw with ABB

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:25

Cafaro
One has to wonder if with all of this talk of outtakes being re-done/re-released means we aren't going to see a new album of newly written songs such as we saw with ABB

one can only hope, eh? gimme the unreleased gems, warts and all - with NO EFFING OVERDUBS! vaults with faults, i say.... 10 volumes of Faulty Vaults

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 18:29 by StonesTod.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:26

Maybe he said "an album of ten outtakes"...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 18:27 by schillid.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:30

StonesTod
Cafaro

one can only hope, eh? gimme the unreleased gems, warts and all - with NO EFFING OVERDUBS! vaults with faults, i say.... 10 volumes of Faulty Vaults

in the words of one famous lead singer who wrote.......

Dream On Dream On Dream On
Dream until your dreams come true
Dream until your dream comes through
Dream On Dream On
Dream On Dream On

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:39

Cafaro

I think we're certainly entering that age. They're not legally bound to produce new studio albums for Universal and the contract primarily deals with catalogue releases.

Add to that the fact that we got a Ya Yas box set 6 months ago, Exile this week, L&G to come later in the year plus the fact that the company releasing L&G have mentioned 'two catalogue releases a year' as being a planned schedule.

Plus various gossip about Sticky Fingers, GHS and Some Girls expanded releases, and I think its evident that the Stones are finally waking up to the potential of archive releases.

A series of chronologically assembled boxed set (or even 2-CD at a time) studio anthologies with a live archive CD release in between would do nicely.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:40

10 new albums, 4 best-of compilations, 3 live ones and 2 'rarest of the rares'. Should keep us going until 2050.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:57

So, if this is true, why does it take them an eternity to put out an album?? Basicly, the process is Mick and Keith join forces to see what material can be updated,& recycled and then if Mick or Keith has a new song they work on that. Maybe it's because they no longer enjoy the process. Rarely are all 4 Stones together in the studio at the same time...what a shame. Technology has detracted from the intimacy of the old recording process. OVERDUBS!! Ridiculous way to make a record IMO.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:22

gimmelittledrink
10 new albums, 4 best-of compilations, 3 live ones and 2 'rarest of the rares'. Should keep us going until 2050.

No way I'll ever live to see/hear all that stuff; but that's ok smiling smiley

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:26

Bring it on!!!

If they don't try to do anything fancy, it should not cost too much money to get them set for release. Pearl Jam was producing CDs of individual concerts and selling them (online and in stores) with a basic booklet/cover. Make it available by website order only.

Note to Stones: I hereby volunteer to assist in going through the tapes.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:35

mickschix
So, if this is true, why does it take them an eternity to put out an album??

mickschix,what you wrote reminds me of Keith quote -in the latest npr music interview :
songs that just crop up out of nowhere, and before the song goes down, it's in the can."

This was a good question ....is my answer a good one ?smiling smiley

I am sure the answer to your question "why does it take an eternity ?"
IMO,because they can't put a new album nowadays ,for different reasons .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 19:37 by SwayStones.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:39

If Exile does good - there is more to come, rely on that. Exile is the big test.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:00

Gazza
.... I think its evident that the Stones are finally waking up to the potential of archive releases.

not disagreeing (because i don't know)..but do you think they are really "waking up"...or that this is something
they simply left untapped until the twilight of their careers (as The Stones)?

I guess there's no real reason do the deluxe reissues of old material when you're still
very popular and putting out new material. At least this is being done now and not post mortem.

Their pension plan?

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 20:01 by sweet neo con.

Date: May 18, 2010 20:04

sweet neo con
Gazza
.... I think its evident that the Stones are finally waking up to the potential of archive releases.

not disagreeing (because i don't know)..but do you think they are really "waking up"...or that this is something

I guess there's no real reason do the deluxe reissues of old material when you're still
very popular and putting out new material. At least this is being done now and not post mortem.

Their pension plan?

possibly - but in that case they are thinking purely in terms of themselves, not their fans....the fanbase has dwindled in the last 20 years, when many other contemporary acts have done these projects....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:16

I would settle for:

1. 1973 live album
2. 1972 live album
3. Expanded deluxe Goats Head Soup
4. Expanded deluxe Some Girls
5. Sticky Fingers deluxe with alt versions of Brown Sugar, Wild Horse and Sway.

Date: May 18, 2010 20:22

71Tele
I would settle for:

1. 1973 live album
2. 1972 live album
3. Expanded deluxe Goats Head Soup
4. Expanded deluxe Some Girls
5. Sticky Fingers deluxe with alt versions of Brown Sugar, Wild Horse and Sway.

can we please have a '78 show? preferably one not one we already have? maybe as a super-duper bonus deluxe edition of the expanded SG album?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:32

Gazza
Cafaro

I think we're certainly entering that age. They're not legally bound to produce new studio albums for Universal and the contract primarily deals with catalogue releases.

Add to that the fact that we got a Ya Yas box set 6 months ago, Exile this week, L&G to come later in the year plus the fact that the company releasing L&G have mentioned 'two catalogue releases a year' as being a planned schedule.

Plus various gossip about Sticky Fingers, GHS and Some Girls expanded releases, and I think its evident that the Stones are finally waking up to the potential of archive releases.

A series of chronologically assembled boxed set (or even 2-CD at a time) studio anthologies with a live archive CD release in between would do nicely.

I suppose I can live with this. I mean, I think 90% of us wish that the "golden era" was 10 albums instead of 4!

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:04

I don't buy it. I have little doubt there's enough snippets of songs and mindless jamming to fill ten albums easily but NOT 70 to 80 finished (or even nearly finished) songs.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:18

maybe they should take a look at Bob Dylans/Sonys 'Bootleg Series' concept and release collections of unreleased and rare studio outtakes and live recordings - complete with well written liner notes, comments etc
But I doubt that there are enough finished (!) songs and/or alternates that are worthwhile releasing. I rather guess there are lots of unfinished songs (no vocals, just demos etc)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:37

sweet neo con
Gazza

Their pension plan?

I think its possibly a combination of realising (by virtue of poor catalogue sales) that there's very little mileage left in just rehashing old albums and expecting people to buy them plus the likelihood that it may have been a condition of the UMG contract that the record label get some previously unreleased material in return for their investment.

Plus, as you say, a sort of pension plan, as their age and inactivity on the recording front over the last two decades doesnt exactly augur well for too many more studio releases. Coupled with the fact that with the arse having fallen out of the music industry they're going to be even less likely to be motivated to record a new album that will underperform sales-wise.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:32

I would be pleased as (enter pig in shit etc comment here) about a box set of various states of form studio recordings and unreleased (and preferably un-overdubbed) live material etc.

Their back catalogue is what it is, which is HUGE alone post 1970, and all they can do now is plod along with a new album and play the same old songs they have been, which they will do regardless of a new record or not if they ever play/tour again.

It's simply time they embrace their body of work and give us the goodies that are in the vaults. They have a chance to EXPAND their legacy without damaging the continuity of their albums (like how there is a second disc with Exile, not the songs interspersed throughout the album). Whether they (Mick) don't want to be "nostalgic" or to highlight the past, it's pretty much all they have left to move forward. Otherwise it's where it's at - not much interest, it's already been done, and nothing more happening.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home