Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
A Sad State of Affairs?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2010 01:34

I had one observation about Exile Week on the Jimmy Fallon show: We saw Phish, Sheryl Crow, Keith Urban, et. al. playing Exile songs. We saw the documentary. We saw Mick, Keith and Charlie in sketches and interviews. This was all great, and very exciting (I haven't felt this way about a Stones release in a quarter century). But the one thing we did NOT see (not even once!) was our boys getting up there and showing everyone how it is done. Not even one song. They did everything but actually play music. I don't feel angry about this, just kind of wistful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 01:47 by 71Tele.

Re: A Sad State of Affairs?
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:06

I thought the same thing. MJ and KR could have played the the Roots even

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:09

Good point. Unfortunately despite all the fun and excitement of the last week, it basically reinforces the view that the Stones dont exist (by their own choice) as a band outside of the confines of a mega-tour.

Then again, you could make the argument that a major factor in them not playing as a band this week is the fact that only 60% of the 1972 version of the band are still in the Stones (and 25% of the current version had nothing to do with 'Exile')

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:18

Rolling Stones is a cooperation, not a rock band. There was not a cooperation decission that the members of the band, owned by the cooperation, was supposed to join in and play a few songs. Business as usual..
If a few individual members of the band coments on things, that is a different story than a cooperation décission to pick up an instrument and use that together with other people belonging to the same cooperation, resulting in a music related adventure..

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: May 16, 2010 02:18

Gazza
Good point. Unfortunately despite all the fun and excitement of the last week, it basically reinforces the view that the Stones dont exist (by their own choice) as a band outside of the confines of a mega-tour.

Then again, you could make the argument that a major factor in them not playing as a band this week is the fact that only 60% of the 1972 version of the band are still in the Stones (and 25% of the current version had nothing to do with 'Exile')

Absolutely true, though 100% of the Exile lineup is still alive, which it makes it all the more sad that I can't watch those particular five people play these songs. A lost opportunity.

Date: May 16, 2010 02:19

Jan Richards
Rolling Stones is a cooperation, not a rock band. There was not a cooperation decission that the members of the band, owned by the cooperation, was supposed to join in and play a few songs. Business as usual..
If a few individual members of the band coments on things, that is a different story than a cooperation décission to pick up an instrument and use that together with other people belonging to the same cooperation, resulting in a music related adventure..

Do you mean a "corporation"?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:29

For sure Mick still has it and could easily have done something live, but if Keith's new electric overdub on So Divine is anything to go by, he has lost it playing wise and that is why I think they played nothing.

Date: May 16, 2010 02:35

I think I am in the minority, but I am convinced Keith still has plenty of IT. If he would just get over all this crap, and step back, and pick up a guitar as just a guitar player again; forget about all this seeing himself in a historical sense. i think Keith WAY more than Jagger has fallen prey to believing his own myth and kind of getting lost a bit. And to the point of letting it take his better music away. Would he ever be able to listen to an outside producer again? Someone who might be able to draw some magic from him? too much being blamed on those fingers. it ain't all that.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:46

Whatever our opinions about what they still have or don't have, it is pretty sad that not one stones band member played anything or even joined in with the guest musicians in a week long ass kissing special.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:51

by keith's own admission...after lay-offs he needs time to get reacquainted with his axe...and he warned Fallon's band about asking him to join in.
this would merely be one reason for not playing.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 02:59 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:52

The Stones are master burlesque dancers. They are not going to show you everything you want to see, until you can't stand the anticipation for another second. They have done it to us again. I'm looking around the house for an old Target gift card. If I can't find one, I'll empty out my change bottle. I probably would plunder my kid's lunch money if it came to that. But, I will buy that record again on Monday. I suspect, we won't see them play live, until they have a tour nailed down. And by then the anticipation will be...........
I really thought I was immune.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:31

Don't worry Kieth still has it. I think the exile press hype documentary fan buzz may be stoking thier creative fires. Reminding them of who the Stones are!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 16, 2010 04:34

oh Tele! be patient -- there's every indication they'll be playing together before long. They're getting their chops together and I bet it'll be worth the wait.

What we saw this week was more solidarity and genuine focused enthusiasm than we've seen in many moons. This is all boding for good!

- swiss

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 16, 2010 05:33

it's funny to see people talk as if they have first-hand knowledge or are actually friends with the stones. how do we know that "keith still has it" or that the band will play together again? have they been rehearsing? when was their last show, 2007? 3 years ago. yeah. right. unless i see some sort of proof that they still "have it", i will be dubious. sure they got together in a studio but with technology and trickery these days, you can make a gerbil sound like an elephant. book a gig in a small club, no fireworks or props to distract us, and show us what you got.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 16, 2010 05:57

Why would they not still have it? Just because the last show was in 2007? Since the late 70's it's been pretty much a 3 year off formula give or take a few. But they've played all their lives, I really doubt going off tour that anyone lost anything in the limo as they left. Damn, it's the Stones!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:21

And STILL I ask...WHERE IS RONNIE!? I know he was not in on the making of EXILE...but still, WHERE IS HE!?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:31

His Majesty
Whatever our opinions about what they still have or don't have, it is pretty sad that not one stones band member played anything or even joined in with the guest musicians in a week long ass kissing special.

True - sad day.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:41

His Majesty

Wronng! At laest I saw Chuck Leavell contributing there...>grinning smiley<

Funny though - watching Leavell with (lame) Sheryl Crow I thought - for the very first time in my goddamn life I swear - that Chuck s quite cool actually - and he actually brought some Stones credibility to the performance. It was nice that he did NOT smile.

- Doxa

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:51

They know they will be back, had nothing to gain and a lot to lose if they sounded off.

Keith said it - "I'm rusty".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 05:40 by chelskeith.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:53

mickschix
And STILL I ask...WHERE IS RONNIE!? I know he was not in on the making of EXILE...but still, WHERE IS HE!?

This same thought occurred in my mind, too. Of course, Ronnie officially has not anything to do with EXILE, but still seeing Mick, Keith AND CHARLIE promoting this thing and resresenting The Rolling Stones - and like Ronnie doesn't even exist - does seem to look like that Ronnie's status and role is not very high at the moment.

It would be interesting to know how much Ronnie's hassles actually pissed off the rest of them, and how much it has to do with withthrowing the tour plans (that as I have understood were quite far in some point.). Is this the pay-back time for Ronnie for screwing up some business plans?

Or - let me speculate - if SOME GIRLS is the next Deluxe album, will Ronnie be asked like Taylor for EXILE to do his over-dub contribution as ex-band member from the past... (well, that didn't much differ for his role in A BIGGER BANG actually.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 19:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:58

I don't think the Stones would ever play music outside of a tour. There are bands and people that do this, but I cannot see them doing a one off show.

I believe they did it in the 60s, but since then I think there has only been a handful of occasions where they have played outside of a tour (I may be wrong).

Date: May 16, 2010 20:07

Jagger jumped up with Peter Tosh. Keith joined Jim Carroll; joined Lonnie Mack - those are just the times I witnessed personally.
Hell, Ronnie has been sitting in with buskers on the corner for free beer.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2010 23:39

Because if any of them were to get up it wouldn't be The Rolling Stones. And The Rolling Stones were not booked to play. They were asked to participate in the promotion, which they obviously agreed to do.

Isn't that enough? I find that to be more entertaining actually. Just think - we get to watch the funny bits whenever and what we don't get to talk about/see whenever we want is how Keith managed to slaughter whatever song etc...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 17, 2010 00:49

Well personally, I do like Ronnie but I've not been a fan of his lifestyle of late...and it's not my being judgemental because he left Jo, but he just looks ridiculous, and I can see why Mick & Keith and Charlie might be losing patience with him. Plus, he's a huge liability where touring is concerned. In my wildest Stones dreams this is the scenario. Mick Taylor gets well, recovers from his illness and Jagger and Taylor REALLY talk! It's decided that Taylor will be paid in full for all of the money owed to him and he REJOINS the BAND! Of course, a tour follows and the Stones play the entire EXILE on opening night! ( and I'm in the front row, of course! )How's that for a daydream?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:01

They're like a diesel engine these days, it takes quite a lot of time for the boys to warm up. So you can't snap your fingers and expect to see them play...

Date: May 17, 2010 01:42

mickschix
Well personally, I do like Ronnie but I've not been a fan of his lifestyle of late...and it's not my being judgemental because he left Jo, but he just looks ridiculous, and I can see why Mick & Keith and Charlie might be losing patience with him. Plus, he's a huge liability where touring is concerned. In my wildest Stones dreams this is the scenario. Mick Taylor gets well, recovers from his illness and Jagger and Taylor REALLY talk! It's decided that Taylor will be paid in full for all of the money owed to him and he REJOINS the BAND! Of course, a tour follows and the Stones play the entire EXILE on opening night! ( and I'm in the front row, of course! )How's that for a daydream?

Remember that visit of Mick to see Ronnie that was reported in the tabloids a couple of months ago? We all assumed it was to tell him to shape up or he wouldn't tour. In all likelihood, however, it was to apprise him that there would be no tour this year, and furthermore, that he would not be a part of the Exile promotions that were being planned.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:44

mickschix
mickschix..gee..If Ronnie was left out and replaced by someone else he would be devastated after been with The Stones for 35 years the band is like a family to him..ya can understand that.Mick wouldnt be so cruel to do that and either would any of the others they are all like brothers.Ronnies not going anywhere hes there to the end.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:51

....I think it's odd that RW has been completely left out. Not even a mention or a question in any interview...as if the subject was off limits...also this whole episode of whether or not KR knew or didn't know if Mick T was on the record is just as/more bizarre.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:51

71Tele
Remember that visit of Mick to see Ronnie that was reported in the tabloids a couple of months ago? We all assumed it was to tell him to shape up or he wouldn't tour. In all likelihood, however, it was to apprise him that there would be no tour this year, and furthermore, that he would not be a part of the Exile promotions that were being planned.
or maybe mick wanted his dvd of season 2 of Sex And The City back. but, in all likelihood, we just don't know what the reason was for the visit.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:11

colonial
I think money talks and Woodie walks if it came down to it.
mickschix
mickschix..gee..If Ronnie was left out and replaced by someone else he would be devastated after been with The Stones for 35 years the band is like a family to him..ya can understand that.Mick wouldnt be so cruel to do that and either would any of the others they are all like brothers.Ronnies not going anywhere hes there to the end.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home