Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Has the music ever affected your career /job ?
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 14, 2009 06:21

In 1980 ,I was working as the head chef at Oak Hill Country Club in Ficthburg , MA . . This song was a big hit with the kitchen staff. So I thought I'd do my best " Jagger" impresion while standing on the butchers block in the kitchen . ( I'm sure rollmops can relate ) . As I was performing for the staff The Board Of Directors just happened to walk through . Needless to say , that was my last season at OHCC . LOL .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 06:22 by boston2006.

Re: Has the music ever affected your career /job ?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 14, 2009 06:24

Yes, in college I was once fired from a part time job because I had tickets for a concert I would not give up to work.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 14, 2009 06:35

I was accused of planning my travel schedule around the Stones tour. I think my boss made a lucky guess!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:36

Not a job, but I did get suspended from my boarding school for blasting JJF
the day it was released. I sat next to this big radio console during study hall,
which was also the cafeteria. This was just before the end of the school year, had to do make up finals after everyone else left for the summer.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 14, 2009 10:36

The human resources manager of my last job was fond of the Stones too.I remember he asked me which kind of music I was liking,and when at the end of the job interview he told me I had the job (because I was pretty good in it of course cool smiley ) ,he asked me to make a copy of a bootleg he haven't heard about .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 14, 2009 11:18

i missed a spanish exam because i was at a dead show in monterey (laguna seca raceway) and took my time going back to the bay area. the instructor gave me the quiz in his office, but was ticked off...

luckily i am my own boss and make my own schedule these days...

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: June 14, 2009 12:25

In school I had to learn French and Latin (that was in the 50s!), but I wanted to understand what Elvis and Ray Charles were singing...

So I took up English as a third foreign language. I worked for IBM in 1966 as a student, when people were switching from punched card machines to 360 computers and at one company I was the only one who could read the american IBM manuals!

When I went into the computer business after my math exam in 1969,I was one of a few people in Germany who could speak English fluently.

So I was invited to business trips to the UK, later to the US, China and Japan...

Of course it helped that I also was a Science Fiction fan and wanted to read the originals bei PK Dick, Asimov and so on...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 14, 2009 14:24

BluzDude
Yes, in college I was once fired from a part time job because I had tickets for a concert I would not give up to work.

Was it your boss who wanted your tickets?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 14, 2009 14:27

I'm sure I've blown a few job interviews due to concert hangover.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2009 14:48

Careered off the road many-a-time listenin' ta Gimmie & The Rambler..

Pulled a day off work ta listen to the Goats Head when it was released....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: G-nat ()
Date: June 14, 2009 18:13

The music affected this guys career/job.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 14, 2009 18:57

I was once an Advertising Director at a Tourism Bureau and they all knew I planned my WORK around the Stones tour schedule and I often wondered what that information had on my job...I did get laid off in 2006...not a TOUR year, but still. I'd have to say in the future I may be a lot less forthcoming when it comes to my days off and my where-abouts!

Posted by: pete richards ()
Date: June 14, 2009 19:21

it certainly has.... i sing in two different bands and usually stay up until at least 3am to work on songs. so as a result i am usually in a pretty aeehmm calm mood when i am at work which hasnĀ“t gone unnoticed. :-S

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 14, 2009 20:41

I get thrown out of my school because of the Stones - I listened to 'Sticky Fingers' over and over again instead of learning. seriously smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home