Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why it should be on Letterman no Fallon
Date: May 14, 2010 10:15

While Fallon may be a fan, i doubt he would be able to tell you what album connection was on. i think stones week would be much more suited on letterman. for the sole reason that Paul Shaffer is one, close friends with keith and a HUGE stones fan and collector. If you regularly watch the show, they proboly play 2-3 stones songs a week at least

.....keep on rolling.....

Re: Why it should be on Letterman no Fallon
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 14, 2010 11:15

You Got to Roll Me
While Fallon may be a fan, i doubt he would be able to tell you what album connection was on. i think stones week would be much more suited on letterman. for the sole reason that Paul Shaffer is one, close friends with keith and a HUGE stones fan and collector. If you regularly watch the show, they proboly play 2-3 stones songs a week at least

jimmy fallon is a real fan and a friend of the band who showed alot of energy and excitement at having the stones on his show and the roots are 20 times as good as that bunch of hack studio musicians in the late night band or whatever its called.

and anyway, the stones would never appear on an a-hole like david lettermans show.he's been ripping on them for decades and would most likely make a bunch of idiotic remarks to try to make himself look clever.paul schafer is not one of keiths close friends,keith is just one of many superstars he's ass-kissed over the years.and besides who cares what album connection was on..its a second rate song from a third rate album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 14, 2010 11:19

What does it matter?.... As long as they are ON.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 14, 2010 11:27

it matters because, a.the roots play the songs with heart and soul instead of karoke night with the little bald guy and b.the stones arent gonna lower themselves to going on a guys show who has been insulting them for 20 years.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 14, 2010 11:51

Seens no one can make up ther minds on whose going to be the best interviewer..well do away with all the..Lettermans and Fallons and whatever their names are.And get the most famous American fan of them all..a Mr.Bill Clinton to pull up chair for a while.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 14, 2010 11:52

You may have missed the connection as to why Stones week is even happening. The label they are currently on, and that is reissuing Exile next week, is NBC/Universal, and Fallon was the only choice that made sense (no way it would be Leno or Daly). And there's no way CBS would air the Exile documentary, or allow Letterman's show to be used to pimp a competitors product for an entire week. This is 100% about marketing its own product, while reaching a certain, somewhat untapped, demo. From a marketing standpoint this is brilliant, and I'm really curious to see how many units Exile moves in the following weeks.

Date: May 14, 2010 13:11

Fallon came through in a big way. he put his money and show where his mouth is; is a major true fan; has the tightest band in his studio. IMO they were the highlight of the week (except Stones and Exile of course)

Date: May 14, 2010 13:45

ajc68
You may have missed the connection as to why Stones week is even happening. The label they are currently on, and that is reissuing Exile next week, is NBC/Universal, and Fallon was the only choice that made sense (no way it would be Leno or Daly). And there's no way CBS would air the Exile documentary, or allow Letterman's show to be used to pimp a competitors product for an entire week. This is 100% about marketing its own product, while reaching a certain, somewhat untapped, demo. From a marketing standpoint this is brilliant, and I'm really curious to see how many units Exile moves in the following weeks.

exactly! NBC, and so by proxy Universal made the choice, not Fallon-his show was mainly chosen because TPTB saw it as the best venue for the promotion to take place.

Date: May 14, 2010 13:52

lem motlow
You Got to Roll Me

jimmy fallon is a real fan and a friend of the band who showed alot of energy and excitement at having the stones on his show and the roots are 20 times as good as that bunch of hack studio musicians in the late night band or whatever its called.

and anyway, the stones would never appear on an a-hole like david lettermans show.he's been ripping on them for decades and would most likely make a bunch of idiotic remarks to try to make himself look clever.paul schafer is not one of keiths close friends,keith is just one of many superstars he's ass-kissed over the years.and besides who cares what album connection was on..its a second rate song from a third rate album.

BTB is far from third rate and "Connection" is a nice, tight little pop rocker (also Keith and Mick's first shared vocal I believe). It was a live staple during the Winos era and a nice version of it was the b-side of the Eileen single.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: May 14, 2010 13:59

ajc68

Yeah ajc68- youre right. This is a brilliant marketing/ exposure exercise.I have not seen the clips of the weeks show, but this brings the stones to a newwr generation. The population that were kids whan the stones did ABB, are 5 yrs older, and a lot would be getting into music - what better than the stones- and their greatest moment in recorded music? Their fans get to see em and they are news again.Good on them, hope it does well and may the voult be open more.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:06

I say after this, open the vaults every other year, for example 2012 Let It Bleed, etc

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:07

I think Fallon is doing an amazing job, and I am really enjoying Rolling Stones week! The Roots are the best band in late night, I am a late night junkie, can't wait for tonight!

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:31

Letterman sucks. Fallon is great and has a long history with Mick.

The only other guy that has a show (radio) is Dennis Miller who is a big fan as well.

Leno and Letterman have ego's that would not allow Mick/Keith/Charlie to appear.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:35

....Letterman is the last place they'd go...Leno too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:45

You Got to Roll Me

the fact that the Stones dont particularly like Letterman, and Keith personally hates his guts may be a more significant factor.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 14, 2010 14:58

The interview went fine - I think it was perfectly charming. He had what - 4 minutes? How qualified does the interviewer have to be for that short time period - he just has to engage him - which he definitely did.

The conversational-ness of the interview was great - I think someone trying to be more serious or cool would have made Keith less sociable - he was in great form and I think that was in part to Jimmy acting like a fan - which I do believe he is.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 14, 2010 15:34

Gazza
The Stones dont particularly like Letterman, and Keith personally hates his guts...

Why is that?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 14, 2010 16:16

letterman is a legend. i like him. he's a classy guy. sure he cheated on his wife, but he admitted to it when the news broke. one thing i'll never forget is when the talk shows returned after 9/11 letterman, during his opening monologue, gave a heartfelt speech as opposed to a cold leno who was clearly speaking from cue cards for his first monologue back.
and regarding paul and his band, they are far from being "hack". ever notice who the houseband is during the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame shindigs? or during special galas like Bob Dylan's birthday celebration years ago or the Concert For New York after 9/11? they're respected musicians.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:35

schillid
Gazza
The Stones dont particularly like Letterman, and Keith personally hates his guts...

Why is that?

A personal issue going back to the early 80s. So I was told by someone who was involved in it. Cant say any more, unfotunately.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:38

You don't have to say it Gazza just write is down under an other alias tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:42

They are all schmucks! But it is good to see the stones hitting the tube. That is nice, but all of them, Letterman, Leno, Falon...just posers who got lucky.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:54

Good point, Cindy! Fallon made Keith feel good, put him in the mood to chat and allowed him to just be himself. I've not seen Keith that GREAT in decades! He was not slurring words, not putting on the fake stoner image.( maybe in some cases, Keith was not FAKING the stoned thing!) I like Fallon a lot and aside from the NBC connection and the connection to the label, he was the right choice to do the interview and to have this week-long tribute ; he legigimately loves the band and knows about their history. And yes, the ROOTS ROCK! What a band! I'm sorry Keith didn't jam with them. THAT would have been memorable, even if a bit rough. We can dream.
I happen to like both Leno and Letterman, although I prefer Leno's show. I think the tempo and the energy is better. Letterman can be a bit of a @#$%&, though.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 14, 2010 18:00

Letterman is an a-hole, Leno is a dummy, glad Mick and Keith are not on their shows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home