Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Taylor PMS session confirmed
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:34

The new Rolling Stone just hit my mailbox. Big cover story about Exile. According to the article, Jagger brought Taylor into a LOndon studio for a couple of hours last fall to put on"those Mick Taylor lead lines." Are there still doubters after this?

The piece also says Bob Clearmountain messed with Jagger's vocal to give it more of the timbre of 1972 (not sure he succeeded). Lots of other goodies. A quote from Keith about Taylor: "If I had my way he'd still be in the band". A good read.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-12 04:40 by 71Tele.

Re: Taylor PMS session confirmed
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:38

dang...looks like I'll have to buy a copy of Rolling Stones after swearing off them for years....

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:43

I think one reason people are relating the sound of these tracks to Tattoo You is Clearmountain's mixing. Not judging, just saying.

Date: May 12, 2010 04:47

71Tele
The new Rolling Stone just hit my mailbox. Big cover story about Exile. According to the article, Jagger brought Taylor into a LOndon studio for a couple of hours last fall to put on"those Mick Taylor lead lines." Are there still doubters after this?

The piece also says Bob Clearmountain messed with Jagger's vocal to give it more of the timbre of 1972 (not sure he succeeded). Lots of other goodies. A quote from Keith about Taylor: "If I had my way he'd still be in the band". A good read.

haha! keith...priceless. after decades of propping up the wood/richards guitar weave axis he does what is essentially a 180, i love it!

and yes i doubt, i think they're just using the taylor angle to increase record sales.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2010 04:50

Another news flash: Apparently Charlie couldn't get the outro section on Tumbling Dice, so Jimmy Miller takes over on that part of the song until the end.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:03

71Tele
Another news flash: Apparently Charlie couldn't get the outro section on Tumbling Dice, so Jimmy Miller takes over on that part of the song until the end.

This first popped up in an Andy Johns interview in March. Here's the passage:

Obviously it was going to be great but it was a big struggle. Eventually we get a take. Hooray! I thought, "Let's kick this up a notch and double track Charlie." "Oh, we've never done that before." "Well, it doesn't mean we can't do it now." So we double-tracked Charlie but he couldn't play the ending. For some reason he got a mental block about the ending. So Jimmy Miller plays from the breakdown on out; that was very easy to punch in. It was a little bit different than some of the others. That song we did more takes than anything else.

[www.rocksbackpages.com]

Date: May 12, 2010 05:06

71Tele

i'm not sure but i think i read an interview where charlie mentions this too. he credit's miller's drum work on the song. that era is so great not only for the stones being at the top of their game but also for assembling such a stellar supporting cast that brings just anything they recorded from roughly '68-'72-'73 up to another level (well maybe with the exception of "Who Am I" but then that's just shite, no matter what era).

Date: May 12, 2010 05:12

I thought it remarkable that the spines of all the 73 tapes in the RS Com Archives section had Jimmy Miller's name very big and prominent.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:15

So much for Keith saying Taylor had nothing to do with PMS.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:17

"If I had my way he'd still be in the band" eye popping smiley
Ohhh Keith...

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:20

Cool! Mick giving it a little of his Touch! I love it!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:26

masters of confusion.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 12, 2010 05:26

James Kirk
So much for Keith saying Taylor had nothing to do with PMS.

would not be surprised if Keith didn't know...if Mick J kept him outta the loop. ??
if that was the case look for keith to make a public statement in which he takes a
shot at Jagger. Also....re: wish Taylor was still in the band.....Keith probably
means..the more the merrier...not that he regrets having Ronnie. ??

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 12, 2010 05:55

On December 14, 1981 the Stones did sport a lineup of Jagger, Richards, Wood, Wyman, Watts and Taylor at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 12, 2010 07:31

ajc68
On December 14, 1981 the Stones did sport a lineup of Jagger, Richards, Wood, Wyman, Watts and Taylor at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.
No shit Sherlock? smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2010 07:44

If Taylor was still in the band, does that mean we would not have had the so called coconut incident then?

Date: May 12, 2010 07:47

JumpingKentFlash
ajc68
No shit Sherlock? smiling smiley
Well, that was rude (smiley face or not)...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 12, 2010 08:44

ROCKMAN

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: May 12, 2010 08:49

I was always curious about that kansas city show how is it?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 12, 2010 09:57

71Tele

Before I believe it I need a quote from the Stones, Taylor or Was himself. We always laugh about the gazillion mistakes in these articles (including Rolling Stone articles), but this statement we now suddenly must take as true?

Mathijs

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:03

stones78
Ohhh Keith...

Big lie,right ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:04

Wonder how much Mick Taylor got paid and if they spoke about the long threatened court action over 'lost' payments for his 'contributions' to various songs from 69-74.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:13

Mathijs
71Tele

Before I believe it I need a quote from the Stones, Taylor or Was himself. We always laugh about the gazillion mistakes in these articles (including Rolling Stone articles), but this statement we now suddenly must take as true?

Mathijs

Joker.cool smiley

Date: May 12, 2010 10:22

SwayStones
stones78
Ohhh Keith...

Big lie,right ?

How come? I don't think Keith wanted Taylor to quit in 1975. He also sent him a nice letter afterwards, praising his work. They needed a new guitar player, and Ronnie suited just fine, but in this persepective, I think Keith is telling the truth.

Just my two cents smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:26

Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

So, the only reliable authority you still have is Keith's saying that Taylor - as was as he was "aware of" (take care of its uncertain mood) - wasn't there? As I can see that is the only "quote" that has accepted factual base by your criteria, right? It's good to be critical but I think your drive for "facts" is driving you to skepticism or nihilism. But I like your consistence!thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-12 10:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:37

DandelionPowderman
SwayStones
stones78
Ohhh Keith...

Big lie,right ?

How come? I don't think Keith wanted Taylor to quit in 1975. He also sent him a nice letter afterwards, praising his work. They needed a new guitar player, and Ronnie suited just fine, but in this persepective, I think Keith is telling the truth.

Just my two cents smiling smiley

He could be honest (in some sense of the word) but it just shows how self-centric and uncritical, un-reflective and blind to his own actions Keith is. It never occurred to Keith's mind that his own actions might have something to do with Taylor's departure?

To use Mathijs's favourite word to describe certain sayings, I would say this is as "crap" as one can get.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-12 10:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 12, 2010 11:01

Thanks, Rockman!

If we can believe the credits, there´s no Taylor on Following The River, Dancing In The Light and Aladdin Story.
So maybe the basic track to Aladdin Story was recorded in March 1969, after all.
But I´ve always though Taylor is on Dancing In The Light. Wrong? Or is he mixed out on this version?confused smiley

Oh, and no Keith on Signifying...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-12 11:02 by rootsman.

Date: May 12, 2010 11:56

rootsman
Thanks, Rockman!

If we can believe the credits, there´s no Taylor on Following The River, Dancing In The Light and Aladdin Story.
So maybe the basic track to Aladdin Story was recorded in March 1969, after all.
But I´ve always though Taylor is on Dancing In The Light. Wrong? Or is he mixed out on this version?confused smiley

Oh, and no Keith on Signifying...

possible about Aladdin, but i don't think Price (credited with playing vibes) was playing with the Stones back in '69. however, i always thought Dancing sounded like it could've came from that time period though, it just has that Let It Bleed feel in it's sound-particularly the slide lead. wait, i just listened again to the Aladdin outtake and it sure sounds like there's an organ on the track, listen at the 2:22 mark. so either they wiped it from the mix or this is a different take being used for the release.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 12, 2010 12:05

Title Five is all Keith as well.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: May 12, 2010 14:28

Huh ?
Unless they've been deleting stuff, I think there's a mistake in the credits for Aladdin Story and possibly the credits for Dancing In The Light and Following The River as well...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home