Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2011- 2012 a Stones Tour announcement - maybe?
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 8, 2010 17:55

It's a good idea to celebrate a "marriage" that's lasted longer than any other marriage you can compare it with. And they do have plans... Not another world tour, but residencies, perhaps. The O2, The MSG and hopefully - the Telenor Arena (Oslo, just keeping my fingers crossed), and Globen (Stockholm).

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 8, 2010 18:56

I'll just get my two cents worth in regarding this 2012 50th anniversary concept that's being flung about. If you think about it logically, were they to come out and do something in the context of celebrating it, they'd probably be more under scrutiny than at any time in their career to date, and their performance(s) analysed in the full glare of nothing short of "hysterical" media publicity. Do they need that ? Probably not ? Would they want that ? Probably not ?

They've always been big enough and irreverent enough to quite frankly keep the press and their critics at reasonable distance; at bay so to say. They've generally been reasonably successful in doing so. Part of the reason is that by and large, they've always "delivered". You and I perhaps, as very picky and pedantic hardcore fans, might be able to tear any number of holes in any number of their more recent individual performances, certainly as compared to those of their heyday or golden years. But we're a minority group. To a wider and less knowledgeable global audience, the Stones as a whole, up to and including the final three O2 shows that ended the ABB tour, have always "delivered". Satisfaction was unquestionably provided.

But one has to wonder whether after what could be a FIVE year absence from the stage, with age taking its inevitable toll, whether or not the sight and sound of them taking up the reins again might not just be a little bit too ambitious ? They've always prided themselves on trying their best to neverendingly "improve" on each successive performance, countless interview clips over the last 20 years or so attest to that. It's reasonable to assume that in perhaps some of their fiercest critics' eyes, it'll be against the largely "successful" 2005-2007 ABB expedition that they'll be compared and judged. My own opinion is that they retain enough vanity both individually and collectively to want to be judged well. If they have the slightest doubt about their own ability to step out again and be "judged well" for the most part, then I think they'll quite likely err on the side of caution and leave things be.

Having said that, I hope not. But just being realistic. I love clinging to the notion that 26th August 2007 wasn't the last time this band performed live, but as for this 2012 50th thing ... is this not a pipedream I do sometimes ask myself ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 8, 2010 20:51

tatters..They all look quite happily married to me.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 9, 2010 03:10

If anniversaries are so important to the Rolling Stones, maybe you can tell us about the best concert you attended during their big "Thank You Fans" 25th Silver Anniversary 1987 world tour?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 03:23 by tatters.

Date: May 9, 2010 04:03

tatters..smoking smiley?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: May 9, 2010 06:16

I hope that we see the stones play together again - whether it be a large or small scale tour or just a few concerts in different countries.Whether or not they would come out and announce their 50th year together Im not sure, but I do agree with paulywaul in a previous post.

Date: May 9, 2010 06:26

Kirkcr..how ya going mate..yea I do to paulwaul..yea he come across good I thought..cheers mate.

Date: May 9, 2010 09:31

Hi colonial, yeah goin good mate, doin some study at the moment- thought Id be done with this 26 yrs ago when I left school - so been a bit quiet here lately. Hows things in your part of the world mate - still got plenty of work? cheers mate.

Date: May 9, 2010 09:59

kirkcr..Not really its getting done in stages im just waiting on others to get things done so I can make a start.And coming into winter we have some mean frosts and the snow and rain can hold things up..but ya get used to it...cheers mate

Date: May 9, 2010 10:46

Hang in there colonial, a bottle of JD been known to keep a man warm through a cold winter!! Cheers mate.

Date: May 9, 2010 11:05

kirkcr..What do ya pay for a 1 litre bottle of JD where you are. I paid 230 dollar NZ for a 1.75 litre bottle with a limited edition wooden cradle it sits in.I think the 1.75 is the biggest ya can get in JD.Normally 1 litre is about 60 dollars here.

Date: May 9, 2010 11:49

colonial - I normally pay between 50 to 55 dollars.There is a couple of discount places here,( central qld) so they are fairly competitive with their prices. Hope your big bottle brings you a lot of good times mate - JD and the stones go together well. Cheers mate.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1248
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home