Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fans Reviews of Bill German book-Fans that actually have read the WHOLE book.
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:10

I ordered the book thru Amazon and received within 3 days,after l started reading it couldn't put it down,l read the whole book in two days and love it,Bill comes across as a very nice guy, not someone trying to cash in in his direct connections with the band,mainly Keith and Ronnie,his stories are funny and show what a great fan he was,he had to put up with so much bullshit from the Stones organization,that l doubt many other people would have put up with.
The whole sex,and drugs side of the Stones if anything is played down by the author,and l am sure he had some great stories on those two subjects.
Imho he has done a great job and many of his stories are funny and poignant,the one in Japan with Freddy Sessler naked is a good one,he also lets us see another side of Keith that we don't often hear about it,the friend that sticks by you,the one who really seems to care about his fans
Overall, a great account from a real fan,please get it and enjoy it ,don't be mislead by the stuff printed in the post,thats really a tiny part of the whole story.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-05 23:22 by ROPENI.

Re: Fans Reviews af Bill German book-Fans that actually have read the WHOLE book.
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:16

I agree--I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will be interviewing Bill on my radio show next week

Re: Fans Reviews af Bill German book-Fans that actually have read the WHOLE book.
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 5, 2009 21:50

hbwriter
I agree--I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will be interviewing Bill on my radio show next week

hb....where & when can i listen?

IORR............but I like it!

Re: Fans Reviews of Bill German book-Fans that actually have read the WHOLE book.
Date: March 6, 2009 03:28

sweet--will post all the details once we're done--shoot me your email if ya want

Re: Fans Reviews of Bill German book-Fans that actually have read the WHOLE book.
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 6, 2009 06:51

Read it and really enjoyed it. Keith seems like a real sweetheart. I really dont see anything in this book that would offend him to be honest. Ronnie appears nice too, but kind of dizzy. Mick comes across as the real a--hole.
The point that stuck out to me in this book is that once Cohl got his hooks into Jagger in 1989, any sense of danger that may have been left for this band was totally gone(bigger corporate sponsors, high priced merchandise, high ticket prices, vegas style music etc).
Dont get me wrong. I loved their return in 1989 but do remember thinking at the time that it all seemed so different than 1981. And now the Stones have been following this formula for 20 years.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 6, 2009 11:38

Bashlets

The point that stuck out to me in this book is that once Cohl got his hooks into Jagger in 1989, any sense of danger that may have been left for this band was totally gone(bigger corporate sponsors, high priced merchandise, high ticket prices, vegas style music etc).
Dont get me wrong. I loved their return in 1989 but do remember thinking at the time that it all seemed so different than 1981. And now the Stones have been following this formula for 20 years.

another reason to hate myself as a 14 year-old who didn't know how to get tickets for a sold out show in 1981.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 6, 2009 16:29

and if they tour this year or next, it will be the same formula again.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 6, 2009 16:46

hbwriter
sweet--will post all the details once we're done--shoot me your email if ya want

i don't have your email.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 6, 2009 21:02

hbwriter, would also like to hear your interview, your email is hidden.

I also enjoyed the book, read it in about 2 days. Really is an amazing story he has to tell and I am sure he has so many other stories he left out. It may not paint the prettiest picture of the Stones and it may have been some of the toughest years for the band, but its a part of their history that usually doesn't get discussed in such great depth. Also kind of sad how the start of Mick's solo tour in 1988 was sort of the begining of the end of how the Stones did business, and it only seems to get worse with each tour, regarding money and band cohesion.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 7, 2009 17:13

hbwriter, me too, would love to hear it. Feel free to email me.
I've wanted to communicate with you anyway.

On the book:
Really, really interesting inside look at what was going on, especially
the changes in management, as noted by others. I thought the personalities
of the boys seemed quite like what we might have expected, though
rounded out with a lot of great detail from Bill's experiences.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 7, 2009 17:38

little queenie
Bashlets

another reason to hate myself as a 14 year-old who didn't know how to get tickets for a sold out show in 1981.

a<<< nother reason to hate myself as a 14 year-old who didn't know how to get tickets for a sold out show in 1981 >>>

Well you might not have done in 1981, but come 2006 you'd figured it out ... which was right handy on "Beacon" day !! (O and by the way, you don't look a day over 16 these days)

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: March 8, 2009 00:11

Enjoyed the book very much myself! Individual Personalities much as many have described aboved.

I especially enjoyed the bits about Freddy Sessler as well ROPENI. Does anyone happen to know which VL show Keith wishes him Happy Birthday (just prior to "The Worst" as Bill German writes but he does not mention which show it was).

I can just see Ronnie having the Limo driver pull up on the curb, roll down the window and shout "Bill German in Germany"...just funny to me.

One of the best books I have ever read about the boys and I think Ive read most of them!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 8, 2009 02:04

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 02:06 by ryanpow.

Date: March 8, 2009 05:50

snc--it's on my author's site:

www.chrisepting.com

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 8, 2009 19:57

About Freddy Sessler

I found this post on IORR
[www.iorr.org]

And it seems Freddy Sessler can be spot on 2.00 on this backstage video

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: March 9, 2009 01:06

edited

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-09 11:44 by Macman15.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:00

Finished the book yesterday. I also read in 2 days, couldn't put it down. I thought it was a great account of his "life" with the Stones. Loved the anecdotes about all their entourage. Easily one my top 3 of all Stones-related books.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home