Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Talk Is Cheap requires a remaster
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:26

I have this version on cd

It is easy to understand that a 88 analog recording requires a proper digital remaster.

I just listened to "Talk" and just after the wonderful Keith song "Hurricane". That last one sounds much better and clearer than Talk is cheap songs which sound muddy.

Keith it's time to revisit your Exile record on a deluxe edition.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Re: Talk Is Cheap requires a remaster
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:30

think he'll include some outtakes and have jagger add some fresh lyrics and vox? yeehaw.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:36

...that certainly would be an improvement...

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:38

StonesTod
think he'll include some outtakes and have jagger add some fresh lyrics and vox? yeehaw.

Yeah , just to re ~ open old wounds .

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:42

Indeed, "Talk Is Cheep" should be released again; remixed
So should "Gimme Some Neck". Actually "remixed" is not the right word; it should just be "decently mixed".....
Both those 2 albums are magnificent, but suffer from the way the "in"-producers did it at the time. As both albums mentioned were either prior or after the mid-80s-era, they don't deserve to suffer from the low time blues that the brokers and the mixers had, while playing tennis, at the time
But....please....no Jagger - he's still playing tennis

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:45

hmmm - well, i think they both sound fine, erik - one thing you should realize is that as you age into an old man, your hearing goes to hell, which is great, cos you don't get so excited about stupid remasters and buying stuff all over again. it definitely pays to get old...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:51

StonesTod
hmmm - well, i think they both sound fine, erik - one thing you should realize is that as you age into an old man, your hearing goes to hell, which is great, cos you don't get so excited about stupid remasters and buying stuff all over again. it definitely pays to get old...

Both albums are great - yes I know, Tod - BUT they don't sound good - at least not on a proper stereo-system......hey I thought you'd notice this, the vinyl-fan you are....or appear to be! The drums seems like an empty bucket up-side-down and the bass seem like a stranded whale......doesn't matter what format one chooses to buy those 2 albums in; vinyl or CD - there's something wrong - mix-wise

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 5, 2010 02:59

YES!! There are few albums that are as desperately in need of a remaster as Talk is Cheap!!! (A few others that come to mind ... Tom Petty's Southern Accents, every Neil Young album from 1973 to 2005...)

Hopefully someone will read this who can pull a few strings and help TIC to get the proper remastering that it so desperately deserves!!

Drew

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2010 03:18

I agree it needs a remaster. Even comparing it to the mastering job on MAIN OFFENDER four years later, the difference is startling. However, Virgin owns all three of Keith's solo discs and since the Stones went to Universal, the likelihood of them spending any money on Keith's solo output is highly unlikely. Our best bet is if Keith buys his masters back.

Date: May 5, 2010 03:21

Rocky Dijon
Our best bet is if Keith buys his masters back.

You may be right!

Keith, are you reading this??

Drew

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: May 5, 2010 03:34

They should remaster it and please include the fabulous outtake "She Put The Mark On Me".

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 5, 2010 03:35

I couldn't disagree more. Talk Is Cheap is one of the best sounding albums I own - the soundstage has depth and the instruments & balance sound natural. All a remaster would probably do in this day & age is make everything louder, taking away a lot of the atmosphere and character of the album. It'll sound like A Bigger Bang instead - everything up front, no dynamics. For what it's worth, I love the bass sound - especially Joey Spampinato's on "Could Have Stood You Up" - was he playing a stand-up acoustic on that track? He sounds like Bill Black.

And granted, there are a few "1988" artifacts in the sound, but hey - that's when the album was made. There's plenty of 1966 on Aftermath and plenty of 1997 on Bridges, too. Look at the Doors' remixes from a couple of years ago - they tried to make 40 year old recordings sound "modern" and, to me it least, they failed miserably. Just a bunch of digital echo and no mystique.

I say leave it as it is and if you need it louder or with more bass, adjust your knobs accordingly!

Stereo knobs, of course.

Date: May 5, 2010 03:39

Hillside Blues
They should remaster it and please include the fabulous outtake "She Put The Mark On Me".

Oh man, this is the first I've heard of this!!!! Hillside, do you have it? Can you post it on Buy/Sell/Trade??

Thanks!!

Drew

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 5, 2010 05:13

"Talk is Cheap" is a GREAT album. It was a shot across Mick's bow when Jagger wanted to do dance tunes for 14 year old girls.

Talk is Cheap's critical and commercial success had to kill Jagger's ego.

Date: May 5, 2010 05:31

drewmaster
Hillside Blues

Oh man, this is the first I've heard of this!!!! Hillside, do you have it? Can you post it on Buy/Sell/Trade??

Thanks!!

Drew

Thanks to Urban Steel we can download it hear [www.iorr.org]

I love this track but it takes a little patience, the sound quality isn't the best and it's over 13 minutes long (although I love every second of it).

It's kind of an mixture of "It Means a Lot" and "Struggle". But that riff and the groove... Keith at his best... just mindblowing!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 5, 2010 06:33

Talk Is Cheap requires a remaster? My shitty 22 year old wrinkly cassette tape sounds fine, thank you very much! winking smiley

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 06:38

I think it sounds fine, really good in fact. I love how many of the songs have the "bleed in" of the snare rattle, bass and whatever else is in the room. Just the way it should be.

Undercover1

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: May 5, 2010 07:10

Don't touch 'Talk Is Cheap'! It's perfect!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2010 08:29

I think "Monkey Grip" is due for a remaster and bonus tracks.

Date: May 5, 2010 09:35

Don't see how Monkey Grip is relevant... but it has already been remastered with lots of bonus track included.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2010 09:40

What about a director's cut of Digital Dreams....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2010 10:25

I second that. CanĀ“t listen to the cd. Always put on the LP.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: May 5, 2010 10:51

JuanTCB
[...] And granted, there are a few "1988" artifacts in the sound, but hey - that's when the album was made. There's plenty of 1966 on Aftermath and plenty of 1997 on Bridges, too.

Amen to that!

Won't be cynical and I agree its sound gets a little frustrating in this time and age, but then again, (and in a Keith's mode) "It is what it is". Take it to pieces and blast every single track -granted it will sound "better" in your car or your iPod or whatever, but you'll be having a whole different thing alltogether. I like to appreciate things for what they are, don't try to twist them into the latest standards or whatever.

What could definetely be a treat would be an additional "bonus disc" featuring some left overs and promo mixes and stuff from the time. But that's another story.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:25

Am I right in assuming that both TIC and MO are not officially available? If so, then they need to be made available (whatever the format and whether remastered/remixed or not).

If they are not currently available then it should be legit for people to distribute mp3 copies amongst themselves (I'm making a mental note to look around the net to download them...)

Date: May 5, 2010 12:40

They are both available

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:43

WeLoveYou
Am I right in assuming that both TIC and MO are not officially available? If so, then they need to be made available (whatever the format and whether remastered/remixed or not).

If they are not currently available then it should be legit for people to distribute mp3 copies amongst themselves (I'm making a mental note to look around the net to download them...)

As far as I know, the only place you can get all three of KR's solo records is new is on Amazon.

Don't touch Talk is Cheap, it's perfect.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 5, 2010 12:45

Thanks... They're not on iTunes or Spotify, but I will check out Amazon and other retailers.

Date: May 5, 2010 12:49

Took me 10 seconds smiling smiley

[www.cduniverse.com]

Date: May 5, 2010 12:52

Hillside Blues

Thanks to Urban Steel we can download it hear [www.iorr.org]

I love this track but it takes a little patience, the sound quality isn't the best and it's over 13 minutes long (although I love every second of it).

It's kind of an mixture of "It Means a Lot" and "Struggle". But that riff and the groove... Keith at his best... just mindblowing!

Thanks so much, Hillside! Thanks Urban Steel!!!

Drew

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 5, 2010 18:58

well I do not know if it requires a new mix. Why not after all.

What I can say is that I have transfered the cd in flac on my Linn Akurate which reveals extremely well the weakness for some recordings and the great job done for others.
For instance the last BB King sounds wonderfully. Some old recordings too.
Some are awful for instance Joe Satriani "FLying on a blue dream".

For TIC it is almost ok but you need to increase the volume a lot. You do not feel the music surrounding you.

I agree with Eriksnow : "at least not on a proper stereo-system."

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home