Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

HEY BAPS MEMBERS
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:59

Hey Plexi and others.....

how are you all? Wondering if anyone of you would be attending the book signing at the SFAE this Saturday? If so I'll see you there.

Re: HEY BAPS MEMBERS
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 2, 2009 22:02

sarahunwin
Hey Plexi and others.....

how are you all? Wondering if anyone of you would be attending the book signing at the SFAE this Saturday? If so I'll see you there.

Hey sara. Nice to see ya on here. Yeah I'm gonna try and make it down for the book sigining. It would have been a lot easier when it was at 7.Now that it's from 2-5 it puts me on a tight schedule.... Some thing about a Springsteen concert in AZ.... But I should be able to make it. See you there.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 23:19 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 2, 2009 22:49

what is the signing for the Bill German Book? Im working that day but I'm right around the corner. Perhaps I can make it on my break...

Date: April 2, 2009 22:55

Oh yes sweetcharmedlife - I do remember now that you're a big Bruce fan!

The signing is from 2-5.

Hope to see you all!

Date: April 3, 2009 06:54

Nice excerpt from the book in the SF Chronicle:

Here's a 25-year-old memory etched into the mind of author Bill German: standing over Mick Jagger as the wiry singer, on hands and knees, dabs at spilled juice with a towel to prevent it from staining a precious Persian rug.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And German? All of 21 years old, a nervous fan-boy who'd been granted an interview with his idol inside Jagger's New York City apartment. German promptly broke the ice by knocking a glass of OJ to the floor.

"He was kind and gracious as could be at that moment," German recalls. "But that was the thing with Mick - you never knew what you'd get."

That's one of the darker takeaways from German's "Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy From Brooklyn Got Mixed Up With the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)."

German was 17 when he was taken in by the Stones for publishing the fanzine Beggars Banquet. Back then, as German noted, it took some real elbow grease and unbridled passion to be a superfan - none of this two-click "cut and paste" MySpace breed of fandom.

"It was the real cut and paste," German said. "I had to find a typewriter to borrow, type up an article, cut the article out with scissors and glue it to the pages. And then run off copies."

His obsessiveness paid off. Even though loving the Stones at the height of the disco era was no easy task - and perhaps why the band opened the door to German - the Stones hired the youngster to turn his fanzine into the band's official newsletter. For the next 17 years, German covered Mick and the gang, going on tour and wiggling his way into their inner circle. Yet he viewed himself as an impartial observer: As he writes, German was to the Stones as Sam Donaldson is to the White House.

But unlike Donaldson, German's paycheck was tied to the beast he covered. And over the years, German became distanced as he watched the Stones transform from blokes to bankers.

German developed a friendship with Keith Richards, and says he was close to Ron Wood. But ultimately, Jagger left him cold. If Richards was all musician, Jagger was pure businessman.

German paints the singer as a mercurial megastar, effusive with praise for the young man one moment, and the next, a screaming lunatic upset by the selection of a picture.

Or sometimes Jagger was the guy who'd drop to his knees to blot orange juice, and assure you it was nothing to worry over.

"Before you know it, you know more about your favorite rock stars than you ever wanted," German says. "Seventeen years - and all I wanted to do was give them my newsletter."

2 p.m., Sat. San Francisco Art Exchange, 458 Geary St., S.F. (415) 441-8840. www.billgerman.com.

Justin Berton, jberton@sfchronicle.com

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 3, 2009 07:42

Let's clarify the acronymn for the benefit of GNAT and all the other "doubting GNATS" and other elements of "The Anti-PLEXIGLASS" folks who will meet their fate in the end.

BAPS is the Bay Area Plexiglass Society.

The first meeting we had was about a year ago, at the end of March 08, in the SFAE. We put together a personal tour guided by their staff of the Stones elements in the SFAE focusing especially on the '69 tour exhibit.

I am afraid I cannot make this one, blessed members, but carry on without me. I will be there in absentia, in spirit: of THE PLEXIGLASS, of course!!!

Thank you so much, Sara, for bringing the group back together!! Not sure when I will be home next, but when I am, will try to put together another party/meeting. Maybe we can tour some Stones-Significant parts of The City or the Bay in general. Or whatever else.

the plexi

Posted by: peter ()
Date: April 3, 2009 09:17

can I bring my dog ?...I'll be there towards the end but I hate to leave WOOKIE in the car.....peter

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 3, 2009 10:08

timbernardis
Let's clarify the acronymn for the benefit of GNAT and all the other "doubting GNATS" and other elements of "The Anti-PLEXIGLASS" folks who will meet their fate in the end.

In England, Baps has a different meaning. Suffice to say that I was very disappointed when I entered the thread!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 3, 2009 13:55

nanker phelge
timbernardis

In England, Baps has a different meaning. Suffice to say that I was very disappointed when I entered the thread!

I take you were expecting to see something about bread rolls, nanker?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 3, 2009 13:57

San Francisco sourdough, now that's some good stuff, man!

Date: April 3, 2009 17:23

peter
can I bring my dog ?...I'll be there towards the end but I hate to leave WOOKIE in the car.....peter

Only if he buys a bookwinking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 3, 2009 17:47

Edith Grove
San Francisco sourdough, now that's some good stuff, man!

indeed, the best. love to have that along with a lil cup of clam chowder down at the Wharf lookin out to the Bay, Alcatraz, the GG and Bay bridges, etc.

too bad the giants home season opener isnt til some days late, hell, u could walk to Pac Bell

p

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 3, 2009 17:58

timbernardis

The first meeting we had was about a year ago, at the end of March 08, in the SFAE. We put together a personal tour guided by their staff of the Stones elements in the SFAE focusing especially on the '69 tour exhibit.

I am afraid I cannot make this one, blessed members, but carry on without me. I will be there in absentia, in spirit: of THE PLEXIGLASS, of course!!!

Thank you so much, Sara, for bringing the group back together!! Not sure when I will be home next, but when I am, will try to put together another party/meeting. Maybe we can tour some Stones-Significant parts of The City or the Bay in general. Or whatever else.

the plexi

[www.merriam-webster.com]
[www.yourdictionary.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wiktionary.org]
[www.wikihow.com]
[www.yourdictionary.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-03 18:07 by GNAT.

Date: April 4, 2009 04:49

Well, Gnats, we're having fun and as we are the BAPS members, that's all that really matters!

Good to hear from you Plexi! Hail to the chief!

Date: April 4, 2009 08:15

Thanks Sarahunwin. Sarah, I have had a message for u for a few months from a mutual friend of ours, can u e mail me? Thanks, Plexi

GNAT, need I say more?

In this thread and within BAPS, u r out of yer territory, man. Go back to whence thy came, or THE PLEXGLASS may strike thee down.

Or should I say, "get thee to a nunnery."

the plexi

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 6, 2009 14:25

Deltics
nanker phelge
timbernardis

I take you were expecting to see something about bread rolls, nanker?

Spot on Deltics!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home