Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bootlegs Stones compared with other bands
Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 31, 2009 15:12

One can say that you probably can get a recording of almost every show the Stones played. Maybe not these first gigs in the 60ies but beyond.
My question now is if there are that many bootlegs of bifferent shows from other bands. Are there so much bootlegs from AC/DC-shows, U2, The Who, Brude Springsteen?

Re: Bootlegs Stones compared with other bands
Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: March 31, 2009 15:13

Maybe not of Brude.....

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 15:26

I only listen Stones. Other bands? I don´t know.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:03

The Grateful Dead, and with Dick's pics a lot are released.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:26

Grateful Dead were encouraging concert recorders, so i guess there should be plenty
Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Prince are very well documented too

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:39

Don´t know if stones has more or less boots than anyone else,but i do know,that
Pink Floyd,Neil youg,Led Zeppelin bootlegs,or taped shows has mostly a LOT better
sound quality.
Floyd-72 and Zep-72&73 tours are better documented,don´t know why.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2009 17:04

depends on what you consider a bootleg. if you're talking about an illegal COMMERCIAL product, led zep and the beatles have had far more product on the market than the stones...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 31, 2009 18:26

Doc
Grateful Dead were encouraging concert recorders, so i guess there should be plenty

There would certainly be more concerts in circulation by Springsteen and Dylan than there are by the Stones.

The Stones have played about 2,070 shows in their career. Almost half of them by 1967 (their 1,000th show took place that year) and the amount from the Brian Jones era in circulation would barely be in double figures.

So, there are maybe just over 900 Stones concerts in circulation.

There are quite a few Dylan shows in circulation (many in superb quality) prior to when he stopped touring in 1966 for 8 years. Almost every show since 1974 is in circulation - maybe 95% at least. Bob's Never Ending Tour which began in June 1988 has exceeded 2,000 shows a couple of years ago. So that tour alone has seen as many shows as the Stones have performed in their entire career and it has yielded probably twice as many recordings. At a rough guess, I would estimate that the number of Bob Dylan concerts in circulation would be over 2,500.

Pretty much every Springsteen tour since the mid 70's has been equally as well documented. He's played about 1,200 'tour' dates since 1978 alone (not counting loads of special appearances) - I'd guess that over a thousand of them are in circulation, so add on maybe a couple of hundred circulating recordings prior to that.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that there would also be more Neil Young recordings in circulation as well than there would be Stones ones.

As for bootleg LP/CD - thats a different market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 18:29 by Gazza.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 31, 2009 19:09

Isn't Elvis' 1969-77 tours almost complete in Bootlegs recordings, Jumpsuit, song selection info?

Date: March 31, 2009 19:19

It's certainly well documented - [home.online.no]

Done by a guy from Norway. The most thorough Dylan concert info site on the web is done by a Swede (bjorner.com) , and one of the best sources for documenting Springsteen's concert appearances is Greasy Lake, which is done by a guy from Denmark.

Something about those Scandinavians. I know it's dark for much of the winter up there, so I guess these things keep them busy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 19:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 31, 2009 19:23

gazza, i´m always happy and thankful when i´m reading your posts. in some way i´m an acribic, fanatic, collector with a will but not a lot of money, but you know everything, or maybe nearly everything, thank you

Date: March 31, 2009 19:35

Thanks - LOL...I wouldnt say I 'knew' that, though - its just took a few minutes of research. Easy enough to do if you know where to look.

Date: March 31, 2009 19:37

marko
Don´t know if stones has more or less boots than anyone else,but i do know,that
Pink Floyd,Neil youg,Led Zeppelin bootlegs,or taped shows has mostly a LOT better
sound quality.
Floyd-72 and Zep-72&73 tours are better documented,don´t know why.

the amount of early Zeppelin shows that regularly pop up on torrent sites never ceases to amaze. Especially considering how many of those were in small venues (ie the ones in Europe). By contrast, the Stones '71 British tour which consisted of about 15 shows in theatres is something of a 'lost tour' as - aside froma radio and TV broadcast - there's scarcely an audience recording in circulation from the whole tour

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2009 19:45

i might be hard for some on this site to fathom the idea that in their respective heydays of the 70's, zep had a far more rabid fanbase than the stones...this is partially reflected by the larger proliferation of zep boots on the market then....

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:34

seems to be the same thing with floyd and young.
To some people whos recording stones shows,it looks to be important just to get
recording equipment inside the show,and not to care about the outcome.
It sounds stupid a bit,but why bother,if you don´t care?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:40

marko

Seems like they get disappointed from the very start of the show....? Disappointed with the setlist maybe? Too much gimmicks? Too many beers? "You Got Me Rocking"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 20:49 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:41

Listing all bootlegs up to October 1987, German Dieter Hoffmann published his Schwarzbuch/Black Book listing 997 different lp and singles titles - that was vinyl age and the last sufficient tour had been in 1982 before...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 31, 2009 22:29

Erik_Snow
marko

Seems like they get disappointed from the very start of the show....? Disappointed with the setlist maybe? Too much gimmicks? Too many beers? "You Got Me Rocking"?

Yeah right. How many Stones boots do you need,when they all sound the same?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 31, 2009 22:58

gazza, I wanna say thank you for that link. thumbs up thumbs up

I know there are lots of Aerosmith bootlegs around, too. Not as many as there are Stones boots, of course, whose career has been 10 years longer, but still, there are a lot. That's the only other band besides our boys I actually collect bootlegs from. I have the feeling that there are espacially lots of Aero DVD bootlegs, like, from festivals they performed at and the like.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 1, 2009 01:02

The thing I like about Dead aud. recordings, since they allowed it, people could bring in superior microphones since they didn't have to hide them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 1, 2009 01:14

..and the Dead would have acoustically-advantaged areas of the arena roped off specifically for that purpose, I think.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 1, 2009 02:45

Gazza
Doc

There would certainly be more concerts in circulation by Springsteen and Dylan than there are by the Stones.

The Stones have played about 2,070 shows in their career. Almost half of them by 1967 (their 1,000th show took place that year) and the amount from the Brian Jones era in circulation would barely be in double figures.

So, there are maybe just over 900 Stones concerts in circulation.

There are quite a few Dylan shows in circulation (many in superb quality) prior to when he stopped touring in 1966 for 8 years. Almost every show since 1974 is in circulation - maybe 95% at least. Bob's Never Ending Tour which began in June 1988 has exceeded 2,000 shows a couple of years ago. So that tour alone has seen as many shows as the Stones have performed in their entire career and it has yielded probably twice as many recordings. At a rough guess, I would estimate that the number of Bob Dylan concerts in circulation would be over 2,500.

Pretty much every Springsteen tour since the mid 70's has been equally as well documented. He's played about 1,200 'tour' dates since 1978 alone (not counting loads of special appearances) - I'd guess that over a thousand of them are in circulation, so add on maybe a couple of hundred circulating recordings prior to that.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that there would also be more Neil Young recordings in circulation as well than there would be Stones ones.

As for bootleg LP/CD - thats a different market.

thats interesting, thanks for the stats . . .

getting back to the original thread, i'm not sure about other bands, i know U2 has quite a bit, but i would guess there are about 50 soundboards in circulation, which coincidently is the number of U2 shows i have (i only download soundboards of U2) . . . but i would bet that the Grateful Dead have the most in circulation.

As for a band like Pearl Jam, well i have over 700 shows and i would guess 75% of those are soundboards (remember thats the band that has release every show since the year 2000 . . .

With the stones the numbers above are probably accurate, the only thing i guess i can complain about with the stones is the lack of soundboards, imagine the entire '72 tour soundboards, the '81 tour has alot . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-01 02:46 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: April 1, 2009 02:53

I don't know. I think Zep has alot of boots. I think most bands have boots but not as much as the Stones.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: April 1, 2009 12:07

I once saw a Dead show in SF around 1990...there was a section, dead center in front of the soundboard reserved for fans with recording equipment...the space was equal to about 10 rows of seats...I would say there were approx. 200 fans seated, holding about $100,000 in recording gear...no wonder the Dead tapes sound so good.....peter

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 1, 2009 14:20

There are about 1200 from metallica.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 09:40

the doors have quite a few as well which i find amzing since they were a band for such a short time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home