Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
All Down The Line (Alternate Take) - Vocals
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 3, 2010 20:59

As the other thread has become a bit crowded, my comments about the vocals weren't picked up on.

There's something that puzzles me. The vocals on the alternate take of All Down The Line sound too old to be new, and too new to be old. I can't make heads or tails of it. What do others think?

Apart from that, I absolutely LOVE this version and prefer it to the originally released take. However, in the context of the entire Exile album, I can see why they didn't pick this version (if it were even finished back then, but that's really beside the point), as it sounds far too clean compared to the rest of the album. Still, I love it and I fear I'll have no choice but to buy the Japanese pressing instead of or in addittion to the regular one! Oh well. I don't mind giving my money to Universal as much as I mind giving my money to ABKCO.

Re: All Down The Line (Alternate Take) - Vocals
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:07

Sounds like an original 1970(69?) vocal to me.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:07

Keith surely has that Little T & A style going on. Don't recall him playing like that back in the early seventies.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:39

Sounds late 70's/early 80's to me. Too chirpy and tight in the guitar department to be 1969 - 1972 imo.

This might explain why it's being given away as a free download.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 21:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:48

It does sound like late 70's...but with Taylor

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 3, 2010 21:51

Sounds just like a typical Jagger "vowel movement" as they called it. Where he isn't singing so much as voicing the sounds/tones for the song as they build it into the final product. Sounds early 70's to me.

Date: May 3, 2010 21:56

stones78
It does sound like late 70's...but with Taylor

Tis very odd!

Not that different from this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 22:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 3, 2010 22:18

Are that 2 guitars? confused smiley

Date: May 3, 2010 22:19

Amsterdamned

ADTL? Yes!

Date: May 3, 2010 22:19

fuman
Keith surely has that Little T & A style going on.
Yeah! That, or Let Me Go...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 3, 2010 22:22

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

ADTL? Yes!

No,SSC?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 3, 2010 23:08

or jsöfdiu, maybe ssop and even bbdgfeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 4, 2010 00:33

It has the exact same guitar and drum sound as Travelling Man and Bitch -clean, loud Fender amps. This sure sounds like October 1970 Stargroves sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: May 4, 2010 02:27

I think it is Taylor, but I also think it is a mix of his guitar with late 70's everything else.

Date: May 4, 2010 23:08

Well, all I can conclude is that there's no consensus. I guess we'll have to wait for official information.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:01

FreeBird
There's something that puzzles me. The vocals on the alternate take of All Down The Line sound too old to be new, and too new to be old. I can't make heads or tails of it. What do others think?

Not sure I understand your question. Obviously, since this is an early alternate take in which Mick is figuring out
the phrasing & lyrics etc... it's from the original sessions. Am I misunderstanding something? This is typically
how Mick writes (in the studio)...anybody that listens to a lot of studio out-take/alternate bootlegs knows this.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:07

Of course the vocal is vintage, as is all of this track. I'm thinking the confusion people are having is because Bob Clearmountain has remixed some of the Exile deluxe songs, giving it that later-sounding sheen. Perhaps this is one of them.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:33

The original is much, much better. I hope the new Exile is not just a rehash of very fine songs. Plundered is excellent, though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:45

FreeBird
As the other thread has become a bit crowded, my comments about the vocals weren't picked up on.

Why would Mick Jagger, in 2009, overdub half finished lyrics to a song which had finished lyrics already added in 1971?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2010 01:47

flilflam
I hope the new Exile is not just a rehash of very fine songs. Plundered is excellent, though.

Something about your statement is....not really right. What was the word...."contradict.... " "contradictyia...." "contradictionarrrr" - sorry, I can't remember the exact word

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-05 02:07 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2010 02:05

flilflam
The original is much, much better. I hope the new Exile is not just a rehash of very fine songs. Plundered is excellent, though.

What 'new Exile' are you talking about?

the remastered but otherwise untouched 18-song album?

Or the 10-song bonus album which largely features material you havent heard before and which therefore can hardly be a rehash of 'very fine songs'.

How can something youve never heard be 'fine' ?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2010 02:28

The whole Fliflam speech is bizarre
....."rehash of very fine songs"....yet "plundered my song is excellent"....damn that's quite an wierd statement to throw out

The version of All Down The Line which were avilable for free was obviously recorded a long time before the official version - since the lyrics and guitar-solos/riffs were unfinished.
So it's not a REHASH - it's the REAL DEAL - an "unfinshed legendary rocker" so to say
But the "Plundering My Soul" song which you praise is the exact opposite - it's REHASH of something they recorded way back then. The vocals are new - the lyrics are new - the whole existance of the "song" is unnatural and unwanted. It's a bastard.....like a the sheep, Dolly, which was cloned over in England - and died a couple of years ago.
"All Down The Line" is surely the real thing though - and if you can't hear it......then Houston, we got a problem

Date: May 5, 2010 02:43

sweet neo con
Not sure I understand your question. Obviously, since this is an early alternate take in which Mick is figuring out
the phrasing & lyrics etc... it's from the original sessions. Am I misunderstanding something? This is typically
how Mick writes (in the studio)...anybody that listens to a lot of studio out-take/alternate bootlegs knows this.
I mean Mick doesn't sound the way he did in 1972, but he doesn't sound like he does now either. It sounds more 1980-ish to me. I know this sounds weird, but could it be a rehearsal for a live performance or something like that? I'm just trying to make sense of what I hear.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 5, 2010 02:53

It sounds like the 1978 rehearsals to me, guitar playing reminds me of 'Crackin' Up' they did in those sessions. I love the different way Mick sings the chorus on ADTL. Cannot wait for the release now.

Date: May 5, 2010 04:22

FreeBird
sweet neo con
I mean Mick doesn't sound the way he did in 1972, but he doesn't sound like he does now either. It sounds more 1980-ish to me. I know this sounds weird, but could it be a rehearsal for a live performance or something like that? I'm just trying to make sense of what I hear.

no............if you hear something that sounds like '80s Jagger..it might be because it sounds like Mick Jagger. (????????)
seems i didn't misunderstand the earlier question.....

like Gazza said (& i thought was too obvious to say).."Why would Mick Jagger, in 2009, overdub half finished lyrics to a song which had finished lyrics already added in 1971?"

Date: May 5, 2010 04:28

flairville
It sounds like the 1978 rehearsals to me, guitar playing reminds me of 'Crackin' Up' they did in those sessions. I love the different way Mick sings the chorus on ADTL. Cannot wait for the release now.

if it is ..i will eat my hat. seems very far-fetched to me.

maybe for the Sticky Fingers deluxe.....he'll use unfinished lyrics for Brown Sugar from an '80s Mick Jagger solo tour rehearsal while
patting his head & rubbing his belly. why not just accept to simplest, most likely..most obvious answer.
that it is Mick (circa 1970) actually singing unfinished lyrics. are you a conspiracy theorist too?
(just having fun) winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-05 04:29 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2010 04:51

His Majesty
Sounds late 70's/early 80's to me. Too chirpy and tight in the guitar department to be 1969 - 1972 imo.
I was thinking the same thing. The track has many hallmarks of the late 70s Stones sound. Tight, two guitar rhythm arrangement, fast tempo and the pedal note that Keith liked to use then. Also, I can't hear much of Mick Taylor's distinctive playing here. He more often than not would embellish with a phrase here and there but all the phrases I hear sound like Keith to me. Hmmmmmm.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-05 04:54 by ChrisM.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 05:11

It's Taylor, sounds just like his leads on the live Dead Flowers, he doesn't really play that many licks here though.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 5, 2010 05:11

sounds like Mick had a bad day...same wih Marquee performance, ragged/strained vocals.
definately 1970 outtake.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 5, 2010 05:40

Bad day? It's a guide vocal on a jam. As was pointed out in an earlier thread, they changed the key from A (the original 'acoustic" demo) to D (this take) to G (the final version). Perhaps Mick had an issue with range on the song.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1199
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home