Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
LONG SONG. Only long songs belong.
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 1, 2010 20:02

Remembering the songs that broke through the 3 - 4 minute barrier...

Rolling Stones
Goin' Home 11:35

Doors
The End 11:40

Iron Butterly
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida 17:05

Beatles
Hey Jude 7:11

Who
Won't Get fooled Again 8:32

Other long songs?

Re: LONG SONG. Only long songs belong.
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 1, 2010 20:29

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick, 43:50
Nektar - Remember The Future, 35:41
The Allman Brothers Band - Mountain Jam,33:41
Pink Floyd -Atom Heart Mother,23:45

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 1, 2010 20:33

Bob Dylan - Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands 11:23
Frank Zappa - The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet 12:22
Pink Floyd - Echoes 23:30

Date: May 1, 2010 20:40

Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
Allman Bros - Whipping Post, Elizabeth Reed
Led Zep - Dazed And Confused, How Many More Times
Velvet Underground - Sister Ray, Heroin,
CSN&Y - Judy Blue Eyes

You were asking only about classic 60's stuff?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 1, 2010 20:49

Wasn't Like A Rolling Stone one of the very first songs that also became a hit; which lasted more than 4-5 minutes.....?

Sad Eyed Lady and Goin Home were among the first REAL long songs though, by a major act.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 1, 2010 21:13

Also The Doors had one of those on almost every album:
The End
When The Music's Over
The Soft Parade
L.A. Woman
Riders On The Storm

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2010 21:21

House of the Rising Sun by the Animals was considered extremely long for a single, when it topped the charts in 1964. It clocked in at 4:29, although the US version had 90 seconds edited from it. About 2:30-3:00 was the norm for the time.

'Like A Rolling Stone' took things to a new level entirely for singles, lasting 6 minutes. Dylan's longest ever song however is 'Highlands'(16:32). He has however released three other songs over eleven minutes long - Brownsville Girl, Desolation Row and Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands.

The longest released Stones song is Goin' Home (11:16), followed by Cant You Hear me Knockin' (from Live Licks) (10:02). I think one of the 'Too Much Blood' 12' single remixes is about 12 minutes though, if I'm not mistaken.

Plenty of very long live versions of songs in my i-tunes, but the longest studio songs I have is a 20:01 track called 'Jam I' in the expanded version of the 'Layla' album by Derek The Dominos.

Not counting jams and multiple retakes, the longest studio tracks I have are:

18:13 Ordinary People - Neil Young (from 'Chrome dreams II', 2007)
18:03 Like a Possum - Lou Reed (from 'Ecstasy', 2000)
17:49 Minstrel Boy - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleroes (from 'Global A-Go Go', 2001). Instrumental
17:26 Sister Ray - Velvet Underground (from 'White Light/White Heat', 1967)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-01 21:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 1, 2010 21:24

SOL. 'nuff said.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 1, 2010 22:00

Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam off Eat A Peach

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride off Twin Peaks

both are two vinyl sides long

Longest on one side of old vinyl was Todd Rundgren's The Ikon off Todd Rundgren's Utopia album coming in at a heavy 30 minutes. Most people were well asleep before the half way point!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-01 23:32 by Silver Dagger.

Date: May 1, 2010 22:56

Yes' double-LP 'Tales of Topographic Oceans' contains just one song per side, the shortest of which is 18 and a half minutes and the longest being 21 and a half.

Mike Oldfield's early albums tended to be split into one song or movement per side.

Date: May 1, 2010 23:28

Gazza
Yes' double-LP 'Tales of Topographic Oceans' contains just one song per side, the shortest of which is 18 and a half minutes and the longest being 21 and a half.

Mike Oldfield's early albums tended to be split into one song or movement per side.

The question is - is Topographic lurking in your album collection Gazza? I'll own up to Close To The Edge and Fragile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-01 23:30 by Silver Dagger.

Date: May 1, 2010 23:29

Some Zeppelin boots have mind-numbingly boring versions of No Quarter which are over half an hour long. You could make a decent curry in that time.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-01 23:34 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: May 1, 2010 23:35

grateful dead dark star

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 1, 2010 23:41

Byrds "Eight miles high" as a single was very long 8 minutes 38 seconds
The Golden Earing did live version of "Eight miles high" approx. 20 minutes

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: May 1, 2010 23:56

Laugh if you want, but I really enjoy Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. "Supper's Ready" clocks in at 23:06. They have a ton of other long songs.

I also like old Rush. Their "2112" epic clocks in at 20:38. They have many other 10+ minute songs.

"Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits--14:19
"Do You Feel Like We Do" by Peter Frampton--14:16
"Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd--26:01 (parts 1-9)
"Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands of Love/Power Cut" by Paul McCartney: 11:18 (though I guess this is really 4 songs pasted together into 1 medley)

Date: May 2, 2010 00:04

NICOS
Byrds "Eight miles high" as a single was very long 8 minutes 38 seconds
The Golden Earing did live version of "Eight miles high" approx. 20 minutes

Which version of Eight Miles High is that Nicos? I only ever heard the regular version which was 3.38 mins. I know they did a live version which filled one side of their Untitled album. That's 16.07 long.

Date: May 2, 2010 00:05

msw2525
grateful dead dark star

Didn't they do a version of it live that went on for something like two days?

Date: May 2, 2010 00:12

Silver Dagger
Some Zeppelin boots have mind-numbingly boring versions of No Quarter which are over half an hour long. You could make a decent curry in that time.

Make it? You could eat it and shit it out again!

Date: May 2, 2010 00:13

Silver Dagger
Gazza

The question is - is Topographic lurking in your album collection Gazza? I'll own up to Close To The Edge and Fragile.

Nope. Definitely not. The only Yes album I own is a vinyl copy of 'The Yes Album' which a mate gave me about 30 years ago as he was moving to Hong Kong.

Think I played it twice.

Date: May 2, 2010 00:15

just spun a couple of yes discs last night - time and a word & fragile. sublime stuff.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 2, 2010 00:24

It's not how long your song is....It's how you use it.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 2, 2010 00:35

Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws is 10min although they played for double that live. The song name is taken from the Stones greatest hits "Big Hits(High Tides and Green Grass)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-02 00:41 by livewithme.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 2, 2010 00:41

Get Ready - Rare Earth (1 complete side of a double live album).
don't know the exact time.

From wiki:

Rare Earth version
"Get Ready"
Single by Rare Earth
from the album Get Ready
Released February 18, 1970
Format 7" single
Recorded Hitsville USA (Studio A); 1969
Genre Rock
Length 2:48 (single edit)
21:06 (album version)
Label Rare Earth
R 5012
Producer Rare Earth
Rare Earth singles chronology
"Generation, Light Up The Sky"
(1969) "Get Ready"
(1970) "(I Know) I'm Losing You"
(1970)

In 1969, Motown's rock band Rare Earth released a cover version of the song as a single. Rare Earth's version of "Get Ready" was the band's first recording for Motown, and was based upon a version of the song it performed as the closing numbers to their live performances. In the live show, each member of the band performed a solo, resulting in a twenty-one minute rendition of the song. It has been debated on whether the actual recording for the album was really recorded at a concert. It has been noted that the audience sounds throughout the song are repetitive and canned. This has been done before with The Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie released on an album with party crowd noise dubbed in.

The band wanted to release "Get Ready" as a single, but Motown declined at first, issuing the unsuccessful "Generation, Light Up the Sky" as the band's first single. Finally deferring to the band's wishes in February 1970, Motown released a three-minute edit of the song as a single, which became a hit. "Get Ready" peaked at number four on the U.S. pop charts, a better performance than the original, and took up the entire second side of their first Motown album, also named Get Ready. The Rare Earth version of the song also peaked at number twenty on the R&B chart.[3].

21.06 ......

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 2, 2010 00:57

gazza mentioned like a rolling stone single by dylan; that really made such an impression on young pre teen like me; it was like almost three times as a 'normal' record...and it had total full pop airplay and i don't think that had ever been done before on a pop radio hit...it was a hugely hugely revolutionary thing to have happened; and in my personal memory and experience, tho obviously extremely myopic and subjective, it seemed that EVERY other group who began to stretch out of typical pop song time parameters (and they almost all did!) was a direct result of dylan's number one. on POP HIT radiol (as opposed to album tracks) i think there were very few others that stretched it, or were allowed to...till mebbe 'hey jude' ?

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 2, 2010 01:04

as everyone knows Midnight Rambler is over 9min, the longest hit (in a warhorse sense rather than charts) from a Stones studio record. Played live I have one that is like 13 minutes but I presume that it has been longer sometime.
CORRECTION: sorry for bad info, it is on YaYas that MR is over 9 min, on LIB it is 6:53 as pointed out by Gazza. YCAGWYW (and CYHMK if you count that) is a longer studio version of a warhorse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-02 20:24 by livewithme.

Date: May 2, 2010 01:04

it was a no. 2 hit....but who's counting...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 2, 2010 01:26

Grateful Dead in concert...

I remember falling asleep (or did I pass out ?) during one song's extended jam... when I awoke, I think it was still the same song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-02 03:17 by schillid.

Date: May 2, 2010 01:31

schillid
Grateful Dead in concert...

I remember falling asleep (or was in passing out ?) during one song's extended jam... when I awoke, I think it was still the same song

Strong acid in those days.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 2, 2010 01:36

David Bowie, "Station to Station" is 10 or 11 minutes of grandeur.

Date: May 2, 2010 02:08

mickboy33
Laugh if you want, but I really enjoy Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. "Supper's Ready" clocks in at 23:06. They have a ton of other long songs.

I also like old Rush. Their "2112" epic clocks in at 20:38. They have many other 10+ minute songs.

"Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits--14:19
"Do You Feel Like We Do" by Peter Frampton--14:16
"Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd--26:01 (parts 1-9)
"Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands of Love/Power Cut" by Paul McCartney: 11:18 (though I guess this is really 4 songs pasted together into 1 medley)
\

Laugh ? "Supper's Ready" is one of my favorite album sides ever. Good stuff.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home