Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones: Conspiracy Theory
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 29, 2010 22:49

Well,this post is a bit tongue in cheek, but why oh why do the Stones' new singles get such minimal airplay?

As one who has slagged off a lot of what they've put out over the last decade in particular, I do think that their singles (as well as a number of the album tracks) have deserved better from the radio stations in the UK and, judging by the lack of sales, in the USA too. It's probably the same in many other countries.

When you hear the rubbish that is considered worthy, it's nothing short of an outrage that the Stones are almost ignored.

The dismal failure of Plundered My Soul has triggered me to post this.

Does anyone here work in a radio station? Any inside information?

It does seem as if there is a conspiracy but maybe many music radio stations are run by people with little or no appreciation of music.

Harlem Shuffler, proud to be bitter!

Re: Stones: Conspiracy Theory
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2010 22:50

It's no conspiracy, just the fact that radio is completely formatted now, rather than DJ-driven, and the Stones do not fit anything but the Classic Rock format. But since PMS is not a classic rock hit, it gets scant airplay.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 29, 2010 22:57

The only conspiracy is that radio stations play what the MAJORITY of folks want to hear so as to MAXIMIZE their listening audience and thus MAXIMIZE the price they can charge for airtime. It's a business, like the music the music business is a business.

I hate to break it to you but most folks listening to the radio don't want to hear the 'Stones but they DO want to hear Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift. To quote Reverend Run, "It's like that and that's the way it is."

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:01

the days of rock radio are sadly gone

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:04

actually it was a conspiracy when the stones were getting lots of airplay; that's the inside story that few realize...

sadlyk,

actually it was a conspiracy when the stones were getting lots of airplay; that's the inside story that few realize...

sadly,

sadly, the

sadly, the days

sadly, the days of conspiracy radio are long-gone....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 23:04 by StonesTod.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:09

>>the fact that radio is completely formatted now, rather than DJ-driven,<<

I vote for format \C: and a clean reboot on them radio stations.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: April 29, 2010 23:13

ST...wth was that all about! Were you just looking to clear the 7,500 mark?

Date: April 29, 2010 23:22

WMiller

well, i just enjoy a good conspiracy theory - or even a bad one? 7,500??? really? wonder what that @#$%&, T&A's, post count is now....

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:54

In my office I have the radio tuned to WZLX Classic Rock, Boston, MA.

I've heard the new single at least once a day since its release. No exageration here, I here it everyday!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 30, 2010 04:44

The conspiracy is how many times stonestod got to post!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 30, 2010 06:48

I heard Plundered My Soul twice on WXRT in Chicago today...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2010 09:10

heard Plundered My Soul twice on WXRT in Chicago today...

Hey that's wild .... But ya just know you Chicago folks would just lurrrrv the way Mick sings Plundered....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 30, 2010 09:19

Nobody listens to radio anymore.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2010 09:24

That's why I never travel by ship......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 30, 2010 11:11

Harlem Shuffler
... deserved better from the radio stations in the UK...quote]

The Uk radio market does not have the diversity of radio formats that certain other countries have. They are predominantly bland Top 40 Tunes 'n' Banal Chat with soundalike presenters.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2010 15:26

StonesTod
WMiller

well, i just enjoy a good conspiracy theory - or even a bad one? 7,500??? really? wonder what that @#$%&, T&A's, post count is now....
what have you done to T&A? is he in a safe and undisclosed location a-la gitmo ?or maybe dick cheney's bunker in the white house or is he in a foreign detention center where he is being waterboarded .he is a national treasure that must be returned to the american people asap !

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 30, 2010 17:03

That's what's funny about radio now. Vlassic Rock is...the exact same songs every week, sometimes every day. It never changes. And people "eat it up" so to speak.

But what I notice is they hum or sing along with the chorus of some song, like Zeppelin, they may or may not say something, and then it's on to whatever they were or are doing. So there's no real impact. It's much closer to walking the dog than any sort of enjoyable moment - it's part of the routine.

At least in the United States anyway. That's my observation. It doesn't matter what state you're in really because most of the vlassic rock stations are owned by the same company and have the same play lists.

I believe that is what is known as profitable stagnation. It's part of the glory of America. You have Wal-Mart, you have McDonald's and you have vlassic rock - it's all the same all the time.

I know the pickle company is Vlasic. But it's more fun to replace it for Classic.

Oddly enough, one will only ever hear the Stones as old as Satisfaction and as new as Start Me Up and that's really about it, at least as far as what one would consider for consistency.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: April 30, 2010 19:40

I only listen to radio occassionally in the car but I did hear the last half of it on a Sacramento classic rock station. I am pretty sure they played the whole thing but I had turned on the radio and it was on.

Date: April 30, 2010 19:43

yeah, i hate it when radio stations start songs in the middle...

Date: May 2, 2010 14:32

Thanks to all who posted but I have to say I still don't understand why a new quality single didn't get the exposure that it deserved in a lot of countries.

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: May 3, 2010 04:15

Harlem Shuffler, I'm w/ ya. Alot of radio stations are a joke because of the before mentioned formats...lady gaga anyone?...jeesh!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 3, 2010 05:22

Does it really matter that much if a particlar song or band doesnt get any airplay.Most people who are that interested in a song or band would buy it on CD anyway and can play it as much as they like.Isnt it much easier just to put on a CD than tune into some radio station.

Date: May 3, 2010 13:33

colonial
Does it really matter that much if a particlar song or band doesnt get any airplay.Most people who are that interested in a song or band would buy it on CD anyway and can play it as much as they like.Isnt it much easier just to put on a CD than tune into some radio station.

Well, if you want to buy something you need to know it's available in the first place!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home