Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

urban jungle/steel wheels
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:28

Just out of interest what is the best boot from this tour?

Is there anything from the cardiff gig?

If so please point in right area?

Re: urban jungle/steel wheels
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:34

Tokyo 90 is breathtaking, Atlantic City is great and I think there is a good recording of the Barcelona concert.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:44

For me : Atlantic City ( the awesome 4 Gold CD set from Swingin' Pig) and Wembley, 7th Of July, despite the fact of not being the complete show.

As an historical document : the final show of the tour, which was Bill's last Stones show as of today.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 28, 2010 11:47

Wembley, 7th Of July is my favourite. It doesn't have Can't Be Seen on it, but it's a stunning boot - great performance, brilliant sound. It could and should have been an official release.

Date: April 28, 2010 12:14

I have Tokyo 90 (which is superb) and Atlantic City. I'll try and track down the Wembley one.

Nowt from cardiff (it was my first stones gig)?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2010 12:43

are we talking about audio boots or dvds?
the DVD i have of Tokyo 90 is a great show but the audio quality is pretty unimpressive -
the guitars are way too low in the mix, especially Ronnie

ablett, do you have (audio bootleg of) the Steel Wheels rehearsals already?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 12:47 by with sssoul.

Date: April 28, 2010 12:44

Audio my friend.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 28, 2010 12:59

Atlantic City 1989 and Basel 1990 are really good boots

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: April 28, 2010 13:04

Nikolai
Wembley, 7th Of July is my favourite. It doesn't have Can't Be Seen on it, but it's a stunning boot - great performance, brilliant sound. It could and should have been an official release.

I second that.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 28, 2010 13:06

The Barcelona DVD floats my boat Ablett.

One of the Wembley shows coincided with the West Germany v England World Cup semi-final on June 28 so there could have been some interesting tension that night as Mick is also a keen footie fan.

Date: April 28, 2010 13:09

"ablett, do you have (audio bootleg of) the Steel Wheels rehearsals already?"

No i don't. Where can I get it?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:15

>> No i don't. Where can I get it? <<

... do you feel like briefly revealing your email address?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:50

dont forget madrit with that awesome version of blinded by love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Paintitblak ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:53

Pignose Records got Cardiff 90 on "Arms Park 1990"

[www10.atwiki.jp]

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:00

Wembley 7th July 90 has the best recording of the tour IMHO. Guitars are clear and upfront . Well done BBC. I'm a bit biased as I was there.

sc uk

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:03

Filip020169
Nikolai

I second that.

I third that- One of the best sounding stones boots of all times

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:04

maybe a little too clean - i prefer the muddiness of the ac broadcast...muddiness is next to stonesiness...or something....

Date: April 28, 2010 18:15

I was in front of the mixing desk at Wembley and the recording is exactly how it sounded. Rambler was awesome.

I have a low-fi tape with the complete show inc. Can't be Seen somewhere.

sc uk

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:34

StonesTod
maybe a little too clean - i prefer the muddiness of the ac broadcast...muddiness is next to stonesiness...or something....
89-90 the last years of bill's thunderous bass .the sound was much more dirty and bassy with bill .i miss bill wyman's bass !

Date: April 28, 2010 18:46

The Greek
StonesTod
89-90 the last years of bill's thunderous bass .the sound was much more dirty and bassy with bill .i miss bill wyman's bass !

hmmm...never really thought of billy's bass being thunderous. lyrical, melodic, swinging...but thunderous? that's more jp jones, phil lesh stuff. however, the lads never really did recover from billy's departure; neither did i.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2010 19:34

StonesTod
The Greek
StonesTod

hmmm...never really thought of billy's bass being thunderous. lyrical, melodic, swinging...but thunderous? that's more jp jones, phil lesh stuff. however, the lads never really did recover from billy's departure; neither did i.
you are right , i was having a deja-vu about phil lesh droping a BOMB. one time at a grateful dead concert second set ,they were playing "he's gone"(nothing gonna bring him back and the harmonizing between jerry ,bob and brent (blees his soul)and then all of a sudden out of no where lesh drops a BOMB which went into "the other one " oh my god do i miss jerry !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 19:41 by The Greek.

Date: April 28, 2010 19:41

but phil's still around dropping those bombs. cheer up, my son....

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: April 28, 2010 23:35

Tokyo, 7th of July (London) and Atlantic City are the best of the 89/90 tour for sound and performance. The second cd of '7th of July' may be the best cd ever/ the playing is phenomenal.
I was at the AC show, 7th row, center, a great time. So its special to me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2010 00:01

Silver Dagger
The Barcelona DVD floats my boat Ablett.

One of the Wembley shows coincided with the West Germany v England World Cup semi-final on June 28 so there could have been some interesting tension that night as Mick is also a keen footie fan.

July 4.

There were no shows between June 27 and July 4th.

I believe that during the World Cup, there'll be a documentary on ITV about that game and there'll be a piece on the Stones Wembley gig that same night.

The entire 1989-90 tour seems to be available on audio (115 shows or so) with one exception - the show in Lisbon on 10th June.

Best show of the tour - Tokyo 26th February, easily.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 00:12

In my opinion Tokyo 26/2/90 is the best show with Wembley 7/7/90 also very good.
I think the Tokyo show is one of the best shows they've ever done.

I know on the audience recording of the 4/7/90 show you can hear random cheering while the game was on (a while since I have listened but I think one moment is in "Almost Hear You Sigh), I believe the audience listened in on portable radios. In Bill Germans book, it says that Mick didn't want to go onstage because he was watching it on TV.

straycatuk
I was in front of the mixing desk at Wembley and the recording is exactly how it sounded. Rambler was awesome.

I have a low-fi tape with the complete show inc. Can't be Seen somewhere.

sc uk

I wondered if it sounded exactly like on the recording which is very clear, Charlie is quite high in the mix which is good; one of the best versions of "Start Me Up" in my opinion, great power of Keith's guitar. I hoped it did sound like that, because a show doesn't always sound like it is on the soundboard, but now I know it did.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 29, 2010 01:41

I certainly loved how Atlantic City sounded but I only have it from the FM radio broadcast. A bit distorted but the PERFORMANCE is excellent.

July 7th 1990 is fantastic I think. That's all I have officially as a proper boot from Steel Wheels/Urban Junlge so I really have nothing to offer opinion wise. But, ha ha, if I did, I'd say Start Me Up from Atlantic City is possibly the best (especially Ronnie's solo!!!!!) with some other tunes but overall July 7th truly is a really enjoyable listening sensation of a live recording sans overdubs!!!!!!

OK, not 100% true, I do have some stuff from the 4 disc Hot Stuff live set that has the Toronto (?) version of One Hit (To The Body) on it. I'd have to have a look again to clarify that. Can't remember.

And even Sympathy For The Devil from July 7th is pretty damn good, as is Sad Sad Sad even.

And, of course, Midnight Rambler. And I truly truly love that I have a live performance of Almost Hear You Sigh on CD. I am still holding a grudge to this day that they didn't put a live version of that tune on Flashpoint. They really missed the boat with that live album actually.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2010 03:34

July 7th is excellent, but its actually a bit of a pity that they didnt broadcast the show from the day before instead (it was also taped for possible broadcast, I believe).

Best of all the UK shows and a more interesting setlist too. 7th July had a pretty generic setlist for that tour, but 6th July included Factory Girl, I Just Wanna Make Love To You (the versions of both songs that were released officially come from this show) and Before They Make Me Run.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 29, 2010 07:22

7th of July is great. I might burn it for a friend that claims she has not one boot.

Date: April 29, 2010 10:17

I can't believe almost 20 years have past since these Urban Jungle shows.........where has it gone ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sc uk

Date: April 29, 2010 11:08

7th Of July (London) and Atlantic City are my favourites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home