Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Exile review in the new Mojo
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 28, 2010 21:47

Doxa
71Tele

Agree with you, but the absence of a Mojo star will in no way lessen my enjoyment of the album.

Not me either, but the absence of that Mojo star very strongly lessens my enjoyment of reading the magazine from now on... How can one take anything seriously after committing such a bad judgment...smoking smiley

- Doxa

i feel you here w these posts... look at the sub headline and i got the pic before i read it or looked how many 'stars'...it's IMMEDIATE DRIVEL.... i mean, it's not journalism or anything other than vanilla filler and ignorance; my tip off was on the MED with MEDS ha chaa and MONEY and MARRIAGE....ha chaaa. did they run out of "M's"??? i needed just a few more....dumbasses....we got tmz here and nothin' more....unfortunately. regardless of whoever wrote the headline etc...it's all crap....
it's blowhard gloss piece of arrogance from the headline down...it's utter crap. it's not good criticism; it's hollow crap with zip perspective other than the same old tired rehashed 'legend' aspects get nod...
it's crap. self referential pop culture at it's most banal... it's a teen magazine with pretensions of something other... they have defined themselves before this but this is definitive.... other than straight interviews (which are edited) or to see some old pix again or something...it's something to read if there's no more "Homes and Gardens" in the rack at the dentists...

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 28, 2010 22:48

StonesTod
redsock
Nikolai
I think he docked a star because he doesn't like the 'outtakes', which is either a fair point or an outrage of outrageous proportions, depending which side of the fence you sit on about the merits of the 'new' old songs.

Correct. He calls ignoring the true Exile recordings "beyond comprehension".

And I agree. How cool would it have been to get 20-25 alternate versions of EoMS tunes? Put *that* in the package and it gets 6 out of 5 stars!

how hard would it have been to just put on outtakes in whatever finished or unfinished form they exist? hell, we've heard most on boots and many of us would have had NO PROBLEM with just getting those in primo quality. that's the way virtually every other act has done these kinda things and i've never heard much complaint about it.

Spot on.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 00:45

jp.M
...people who do such errors on a picture can't do a good record's critic......
(Keith,Mick Jagger on chair,Jimmy on the ground)..very surprising from a very
talented magazine...

Agreed. I hate all this misinformation. They need real Stones fans to do the fact-checking on this stuff!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 29, 2010 01:07

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 29, 2010 01:22

Doxa
Greenblues
Mind you, the review is not only about the artistic value of Exile,
it's also rating the new edition. Btw. they also gave 4 stars only
to the GYYYO Deluxe... I'm sure they'd have rated both albums
5 stars, if it were the standard editions.

That is a fair point but I don't take hostages now...

No matter how much the new edition or new tracks count it doesn't justify the four star review. EXILE ON MAIN STREET is the goddamn criterion any other rock album is judged against (and fails). To take the fifth star out of it is a sign of total idiocy, stupidity and selfish arrogance. If a critic has any sense of decency and common sense, he/she has no any right to give any stars to masterpieces like it. The whole thing is totally out the rank of his/her personal opinions now.

It is totally tasteless to give such a laughable rate to an album that is one of the foundations to retro magazines as MOJO to exist.

I remember some idiot last year giving four stars to YA-YA'S also and I wasn't any merciful then either.

I will burn all my MOJOs. Crap journalism.angry smiley

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa
Edited 6 times is a sign of total idiocy, stupidity and selfish arrogance. Why don't you light your own ass on fire when you burn those mojos.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 29, 2010 01:33

keep the faith doxa; brue another boring re-tread here haunting web w big bad 'tude... ohmy wot a rebel

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:13

"About a million different takes of nearly every song on the album. Impossible to listen to unless you either have no life, are mentally ill or are simply THAT obsessed ..."

Not true! You're talking about the 7-cd limited edition (3000 copies!) that becae an instant collector. I have the 2-cd edition with about 10 alt. versions and it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:15

and at the risk of repeating the obvious digging out half-finished trax from 71 and "finishing" them in 2009 is morally speakin an abomination.

Even the 2 guys from ABBA would not dare do sth like this!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:22

"Morally speaking an abomination"? How pompous can you get? Some posters really need to relax.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:33

Burn all the Mojo mags, because of one disagreeable critic? Didn´t realize a Stones fan could be that sensitive...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:33

Edward Twining
I am very surprised by Doxa's reaction - the review sounds perfectly fair to me. Those extra tracks take up more than a third of the album so naturally the reviewer is going to take that into account in his rating, and the chances are they can only dilute the overall contents of the album, given that they aren't of the standard of the original songs. I had grave misgivings about Plundered My Soul appearing on the album anyway, because despite it possessing some pleasing elements, it really didn't belong with those original Exile tracks in terms of quality. I think Exile would have been better left alone, and the outtakes if released should have existed separately on a bootleg series similar to that of Bob Dylan's.

Well, the point is that I refuse to read the article (but I have had a nice summary of in the posts here...). I just can't pass the absence of that one star... It is an issue of principles here... grinning smiley

But as far as I am concerned the filler CD(s) can be full of duets of Keith farting and Bill snoring, and it still doesn't affect to the eternal greatness and five-star-status of this album.

It is EXILE ON MAIN STREET we are here talking about. It is THE essential Rolling Stones album were re talking about here. If I make compromises here - there would be nothing to believe on, and I would be just wasting my time in places like IORR. I happen to be here because I am passionate about this band and its music. That's why I am a harsh critic sometimes if I see the band doing something mediocre, etc. There are some things that I just refuse to accept. And if I see some random journalist, critic or whatever putting down EXILE in some kind of rock magazine I d like to send that person back to school to develop his taste.

In fact, there is alot more involved here I'd love to talk about - the nature and critique of criticism, the role of opinions, etc. - but I don't want to bore you people to death. As we know, I have done it too much by now already!

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:49

71Tele
I can see a Fender Rhodes piano on the far left side...

It's a Wurlitzer 200A.

Date: April 29, 2010 11:52

Doxa
EXILE ON MAIN STREET is the goddamn criterion any other rock album is judged against (and fails).

Nonsense! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 29, 2010 11:58

And you know - for years I've been occasionally accused here for being a "naysayer", "not a real Rolling Stones fan", "Anti-Stones", etc. so it is refreshing to be in other side of the debate sometimes!

But I hope that everyone sees that the premise of all my posts and arguments is just having fun and loving to talk about a topic that gives so much enjoyment to my life. No, this is not serious at all - nothing is going to be burned, etc. (it is very difficult to express the tone of one's posts even though I try to use these faces >grinning smiley<angry smileyconfused smileysmoking smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smiley and failing I guess quite miserably...)

- Doxa

Date: April 29, 2010 12:00

His Majesty
Doxa
EXILE ON MAIN STREET is the goddamn criterion any other rock album is judged against (and fails).

I know for you is the 4 CD SATANIC MAJESTIES sessions bootleg... >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 29, 2010 12:11

Doxa
His Majesty
Doxa

I know for you is the 4 CD SATANIC MAJESTIES sessions bootleg... >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Probably both 4-CD boxes!smileys with beer

Date: April 29, 2010 12:12

Hah! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 12:13 by His Majesty.

Date: April 29, 2010 12:43

Doxa
And you know - for years I've been occasionally accused here for being a "naysayer", "not a real Rolling Stones fan", "Anti-Stones", etc. so it is refreshing to be in other side of the debate sometimes!

But I hope that everyone sees that the premise of all my posts and arguments is just having fun and loving to talk about a topic that gives so much enjoyment to my life. No, this is not serious at all - nothing is going to be burned, etc. (it is very difficult to express the tone of one's posts even though I try to use these faces >grinning smiley<angry smileyconfused smileysmoking smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smiley and failing I guess quite miserably...)

- Doxa

No you're not 'failing' at all, Doxa. I enjoy this kind of posts just as much as your analytical approach. Just poking fun at youtongue sticking out smiley.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 29, 2010 12:46

That's a very good point Doxa made about issues with electronic communication. It's very easy to misuderstand someone. Nothing beats the old fashioned face to face in my opinion.

Date: April 29, 2010 12:54

Svartmer
Burn all the Mojo mags, because of one disagreeable critic? Didn´t realize a Stones fan could be that sensitive...

A Stones music fan HAS to be sensitive. That's essential. And passionate as well. I agree with Doxa on that in principle for 100%. Being sensitive and passionate is the basis of all, especially of harsh criticism. As in the saying: What you love most you beat the hardestwinking smiley.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 29, 2010 12:54

(-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-29 13:01 by Greenblues.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 29, 2010 13:08

to me those stars are not so relevant, exile is exile no matter how many stars a mojo reviewer will give to it
beside i find "mathematically" correct to decrease a star if the writer does not appreciate the new material

to speak of moral abomination is... well... a bit over the top maybe???
to me it is a choice, arguable, but a choice that now give us the opportunity to listen to some "new" stones stuff
Would have I done it differently? Probably
But I am grateful to Mick because he has done it, his own way, but done it.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 29, 2010 13:14

kleermaker
Svartmer

A Stones music fan HAS to be sensitive. That's essential. And passionate as well. I agree with Doxa on that in principle for 100%. Being sensitive and passionate is the basis of all, especially of harsh criticism. As in the saying: What you love most you beat the hardestwinking smiley.

If that saying is correct a true fan should love a bad review. Anyway, the Stones have gotten so many bad reviews over the years so why bother. Personally I don´t even think Exile is their best album.

Date: April 29, 2010 13:52

Svartmer
kleermaker
Svartmer

If that saying is correct a true fan should love a bad review. Anyway, the Stones have gotten so many bad reviews over the years so why bother. Personally I don´t even think Exile is their best album.

If that "bad review" is good and not bad you're right. But of course it would be the best if there were no reason for any criticism at all. Exile is a very 'American' album while Banquet, Bleed, Sticky and Soup, to name a few, are more 'European'.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:34

kleermaker
Svartmer
kleermaker
Svartmer

If that "bad review" is good and not bad you're right. But of course it would be the best if there were no reason for any criticism at all. Exile is a very 'American' album while Banquet, Bleed, Sticky and Soup, to name a few, are more 'European'.

yes, and satanic is their most asian album. and let's not forget dirty work (even though we'd like to), which is clearly their most hispanic album...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2010 17:41

His Majesty
71Tele
I can see a Fender Rhodes piano on the far left side...

It's a Wurlitzer 200A.

I was using the phrase generically. My bad. Thanks for the correction. Indeed, quite a different animal.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home