Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Exile review in the new Mojo
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 28, 2010 12:13

exactly....

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: April 28, 2010 12:49

Deltics
The picture rescanned and cropped.

If anyone missed it, the photo is by Dominique Tarlé
If anyone can photoshop out the text..........

Keith Richards - Mick Jagger - Jimmy Miller & Melons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 18:05 by claudine.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:01

Tarlé is sooo good! And he kept the pix in a box for like 30 years! (that is until Genesis published his book)

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:07

Doxa
ablett
This is a perfect example of how things get out of hand on this site?

One jouno makes a slight error on a picture credit and the whole article is written off?

Madness.....

You got his opinion on the record, you either agree or not BUT a miss credit on the photo doesn't really warrant "A sign of total historical ignorance, stupidity and idiotic self-importance."

I don't give a shit about having some particular credits right or wrong (I didn't even recognize it, and I don't bother even read the sucker)- but if a "critic" gives 4/5 of EXILE that is a sign of total historical ignorance, stupidity and idiotic self-importance, and I don't respect a rock magazine that has people like that on board. Not my cup of tea.

If I see a review giving 4/5 to EXILE ON MAIN STREET - yes: EXILE ON MAIN STREET!!! - I don't think it has anything to offer me. Why should I read that crap?

- Doxa

Hey Doxa,

I too was mesmerised by PMS ;-) but I'm a little bit taken aback
by the "firey" resentment that's suddenly coming from one of
the most considerate voices on this forum.

Mind you, the review is not only about the artistic value of Exile,
it's also rating the new edition. Btw. they also gave 4 stars only
to the GYYYO Deluxe... I'm sure they'd have rated both albums
5 stars, if it were the standard editions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 16:21 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:22

.....well some editorial director deemed it insignificant enough to run the story without proofing....as much can be said then of the story....it goes hand in hand.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:29

I don´t think difference of opinions about the quality of a certain album (be it Exile or any other...) is a "sign of total historical ignorance, stupidity and idiotic self-importance".

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:46

Come on Doxa! Is cold Finnish blood running hotter and hotter now the date of May 17th comes nearer and nearer?cool smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2010 17:13

Greenblues

That is a fair point but I don't take hostages now...

No matter how much the new edition or new tracks count it doesn't justify the four star review. EXILE ON MAIN STREET is the goddamn criterion any other rock album is judged against (and fails). To take the fifth star out of it is a sign of total idiocy, stupidity and selfish arrogance. If a critic has any sense of decency and common sense, he/she has no any right to give any stars to masterpieces like it. The whole thing is totally out the rank of his/her personal opinions now.

It is totally tasteless to give such a laughable rate to an album that is one of the foundations to retro magazines as MOJO to exist.

I remember some idiot last year giving four stars to YA-YA'S also and I wasn't any merciful then either.

I will burn all my MOJOs. Crap journalism.angry smiley

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 17:37 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2010 17:26

kleermaker
Come on Doxa! Is cold Finnish blood running hotter and hotter now the date of May 17th comes nearer and nearer?cool smiley

Yes it does! Thanks to this EXILE thing I discovered a true Rolling Stones fan in me... No time to serious reflection now...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 28, 2010 17:30

rootsman
I don´t think difference of opinions about the quality of a certain album (be it Exile or any other...) is a "sign of total historical ignorance, stupidity and idiotic self-importance".

no, but it makes some folks feel better to say that, which in itself is a sign of something....

Date: April 28, 2010 17:42

StonesTod
rootsman

no, but it makes some folks feel better to say that, which in itself is a sign of something....

We got a glimpse of the other Doxa. That's only nice. Humans are not one dimensional, though we often see them as such. Even Mick J. isn't one dimensional, can you imagine!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2010 17:52

Doxa
Greenblues

No matter how much the new edition or new tracks count it doesn't justify the four star review. EXILE ON MAIN STREET is the goddamn criterion any other rock album is judged against (and fails). To take the fifth star out of it is a sign of total idiocy, stupidity and selfish arrogance. If a critic has any sense of decency and common sense, he/she has no any right to give any stars to masterpieces like it. The whole thing is totally out the rank of his/her personal opinions now.

It is totally tasteless to give such a laughable rate to an album that is one of the foundations to retro magazines as MOJO to exist.

I remember some idiot last year giving four stars to YA-YA'S also and I wasn't any merciful then either.

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Agree with you, but the absence of a Mojo star will in no way lessen my enjoyment of the album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2010 17:53

That's Gram on the floor in the photo, you can see just enough of the facial profile, plus there's the girly legs.

Date: April 28, 2010 17:54

71Tele
Doxa
Greenblues

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Agree with you, but the absence of a Mojo star will in no way lessen my enjoyment of the album.

but will your burning of the mojos lessen your enjoyment of the mag?

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:01

Here's the situation: Whatever the Rolling Stones want to put on the reissue belongs on the reissue. If people don't dig it, that's their problem.

People here are such miserable, self important asses. It's hilarious.

Date: April 28, 2010 18:03

kleermaker
StonesTod
rootsman

We got a glimpse of the other Doxa. That's only nice. Humans are not one dimensional, though we often see them as such. Even Mick J. isn't one dimensional, can you imagine!

Well, I feel great for being passionate about The Rolling Stones sometimes...

But to be honest, I might use quite strong rhetorics to express my point here but I very seriously stand by what I say. I find it really tasteless to rate at all albums like EXILE ON MAIN STREET. How one random reviewer might think of it is is totally insignificant nowadays. I find that kind of behavior very hybrid (thinking too much of themselves) and the people doing things like that (and others RELEASING things like that) very small-minded and arrogant. I am really disappointed for MOJO - a retro rock magazine - to commit such a crime.

My argument does not only apply to EXILE but to other 'big things' like that as well. Some things are just bigger than what a random journalist might think of it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 18:10 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2010 18:13

71Tele

Not me either, but the absence of that Mojo star very strongly lessens my enjoyment of reading the magazine from now on... How can one take anything seriously after committing such a bad judgment...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 18:17 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2010 18:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 18:16 by Doxa.

Date: April 28, 2010 18:28

Doxa
kleermaker
StonesTod
rootsman

Well, I feel great for being passionate about The Rolling Stones sometimes...

But to be honest, I might use quite strong rhetorics to express my point here but I very seriously stand by what I say. I find it really tasteless to rate at all albums like EXILE ON MAIN STREET. How one random reviewer might think of it is is totally insignificant nowadays. I find that kind of behavior very hybrid (thinking too much of themselves) and the people doing things like that (and others RELEASING things like that) very small-minded and arrogant. I am really disappointed for MOJO - a retro rock magazine - to commit such a crime.

My argument does not only apply to EXILE but to other 'big things' like that as well. Some things are just bigger than what a random journalist might think of it.

- Doxa

But don't we judge the songs, albums, performances and even the personae of the Stones and other musicians all the time as well? I don't see any essential difference. Does that mean that we're all narrow minded, arrogant etc.? In this case it's the opinion of a critic or reviewer or journalist or whatever. One can see it as a reference point (or not). Besides I agree with the 4 starsgrinning smiley

Btw: how's the weather in Suomi? I guess temperature is rising there. Here it's 22 degrees Celcius, but I'm cool as alwayscool smiley.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:42

people that get agitated over something like rock journalism and music critics just make themselves look bad, in my opinion. when should we value a critic's opinion? only when they agree with you?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 28, 2010 18:58

If you read the Mojo review, you'll see that the reviewer loves the original album and says it is a classic. He only gave the whole package four stars because he felt that the bonus material was a missed opportunity (quelle surprise!) and should have focused on alternate takes instead of new songs.

Personally I think the reviewer has missed the point but I guess when you are dealing with the hardcore-completist-OCD type fans, they will never be happy until they have everything.

Date: April 28, 2010 19:01

Father Ted
If you read the Mojo review, you'll see that the reviewer loves the original album and says it is a classic. He only gave the whole package four stars because he felt that the bonus material was a missed opportunity (quelle surprise!) and should have focused on alternate takes instead of new songs.

and for this there should be extra stars on thars.

my review of this reviewer is 7 stars....

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 28, 2010 19:04

I think it makes sense to have included more alternate takes and live versions from the time period rather than polish new songs as Mick Jagger has done. Perhaps Mick thought people would prefer songs they had not heard to alternate versions of ones they had.

But anyway, it's foolish to write off what you have been given because it wasn't what you think it should have been.

Date: April 28, 2010 19:13

KeefintheNight82
But anyway, it's foolish to write off what you have been given because it wasn't what you think it should have been.

oh? ok....well, i was thinking i was writing it off cos i didn't like it, but i'm happy to be foolish for whatever reason....

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: April 28, 2010 20:16

Nikolai
I think he docked a star because he doesn't like the 'outtakes', which is either a fair point or an outrage of outrageous proportions, depending which side of the fence you sit on about the merits of the 'new' old songs.

Correct. He calls ignoring the true Exile recordings "beyond comprehension".

And I agree. How cool would it have been to get 20-25 alternate versions of EoMS tunes? Put *that* in the package and it gets 6 out of 5 stars!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 28, 2010 20:22

I am very surprised by Doxa's reaction - the review sounds perfectly fair to me. Those extra tracks take up more than a third of the album so naturally the reviewer is going to take that into account in his rating, and the chances are they can only dilute the overall contents of the album, given that they aren't of the standard of the original songs. I had grave misgivings about Plundered My Soul appearing on the album anyway, because despite it possessing some pleasing elements, it really didn't belong with those original Exile tracks in terms of quality. I think Exile would have been better left alone, and the outtakes if released should have existed separately on a bootleg series similar to that of Bob Dylan's.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 28, 2010 20:32

redsock
Nikolai
I think he docked a star because he doesn't like the 'outtakes', which is either a fair point or an outrage of outrageous proportions, depending which side of the fence you sit on about the merits of the 'new' old songs.

And I agree. How cool would it have been to get 20-25 alternate versions of EoMS tunes? Put *that* in the package and it gets 6 out of 5 stars!

You get that on Stooges reissues. They released the Funhouse sessions. About a million different takes of nearly every song on the album. Impossible to listen to unless you either have no life, are mentally ill or are simply THAT obsessed ...

I don't think The Stones get their hardcore fans at all. All they or 'their people' have to do is come here once in a while and tune in. They'll then know exactly what people who have followed them most of their lives want from reissues.

The Mojo guy called it right, in my opinion. If this is the way The Stones are going to handle their archive - releasing mini Tattoo Yous as "unheard, uncirculated outtakes" - they can either do another album of 'finished songs' (which, I think, most of us would welcome) or just carry on reissuing their back catalogue ad nauseam and see what happens.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 28, 2010 21:26

Well at least they took time to listen to and properly review the album unlike this "review" of Ya-Yas:

Again, only four stars!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 28, 2010 21:37

redsock
Nikolai

how hard would it have been to just put on outtakes in whatever finished or unfinished form they exist? hell, we've heard most on boots and many of us would have had NO PROBLEM with just getting those in primo quality. that's the way virtually every other act has done these kinda things and i've never heard much complaint about it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 28, 2010 21:42

claudine
Nice job! Thanks!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home