Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Beatles Tours, Concerts, etc
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 7, 2009 13:00

As we all should know, Stones tours are well documented. Yet, I have failed to come across anything comprehensive for the Beatles.

Does anyone know of any websites, books etc, that list or at least have info, on Beatles tours, concerts and dates?

Re: OT: Beatles Tours, Concerts, etc
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 7, 2009 13:03

I needed approx. 4 seconds to find this site:

[www.dermon.com]

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 7, 2009 13:07

[www.beatles-discography.com]

[www.maccafan.net]

[ourworld.compuserve.com]

here's some ..one good book .is mark lewison "beatles recording sessions"

Date: January 7, 2009 13:07

and I found this one!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 7, 2009 13:13

vancouver
[www.beatles-discography.com]

[www.maccafan.net]

[ourworld.compuserve.com]

He is looking for tourdates, not recording dates.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: January 7, 2009 13:47

"The Beatles Live" by Mark Lewisohn
Great book!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 7, 2009 14:27

there is live/studio information on some links,,,spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

anyway the rooftoop concert jan 30 is great,,and the glyn jones mix of /get back/let it be,,

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:01

Mark Lewisohn's books are amongst the most comprehensive ever written about any act. In terms of 'hard copy' reading material, they cover all bases.

Bimmelzerbott - the 'Recording sessions' book lists all recordings, media appearances and concert dates in considerable detail. You're evidently judging its contents by the title. One of the best music books out there.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:28

vancouver

Some people believe that Ringo didnĀ“t play on a lot of Beatles songs. They should read that book.

Date: January 7, 2009 15:32

One thing I have noted, is that The Beatles performed in Stadiums on their final two US Tours. Were he first pop act to perform such venues?

Could the Stones have filled the likes of Shea Stadium in '65 or '66?

Date: January 7, 2009 15:45

I would imagine they were the first musical act to REGULARLY play those size of venues. (Elvis would have been the only other act who could have done, but he chose not to. And he didnt tour between 1957 and 1970).

Surprisingly enough, they didnt always sell out. Ticket sales on the final tour were certainly hampered by the hysteria over Lennon's 'Bigger than Jesus' remark. If you've seen the film of the Shea Stadium show from 1965, the crowd were very often kept off the pitch too - with amps the size of a peanut, it cant have been a satisfactory arrangement for either the artist or the audience

To answer your 2nd question - definitely not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 15:46 by Gazza.

Date: January 7, 2009 15:56

Didn't the Stones play stadiums (or at least one) in Singapore on their 1965 tour?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:58

Big Al
One thing I have noted, is that The Beatles performed in Stadiums on their final two US Tours. Were they first pop act to perform such venues?

Yes, and they were the last until CSNY with Joni Mitchell opening toured stadiums in 1974. The Stones played a couple stadiums in '72, but they didn't do their first real stadium tour until '75.

Date: January 7, 2009 16:01

Well, they played in stadiums on their 1973 Pacific tour.

Date: January 7, 2009 17:31

I think that many groups who wouldn't have been able to fill stadiums in the 1960's, did so in later decades as the concept became more popular.

The Beatles performing in stadiums in the States in '65 was a necessity: they really were that much a phenomenon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 17:31 by Big Al.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: January 7, 2009 17:57

"The Beatles Diary" Volume 1 by Barry Miles ISBN - 0.7119.8308.9
covers every day from pre 1960 to April 1970.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 7, 2009 18:22

Revolution in the Head: "Beatles" Records and the Sixties (ISBN: 0712662081 / 0-7126-6208-1) Ian MacDonald

Is a detailed account of every song the Beatles ever recorded. It's cheap on abebooks.com

Date: January 7, 2009 19:42

HEILOOBAAS
Revolution in the Head: "Beatles" Records and the Sixties (ISBN: 0712662081 / 0-7126-6208-1) Ian MacDonald

Is a detailed account of every song the Beatles ever recorded. It's cheap on abebooks.com

The best book on rock music ever published.

Date: January 7, 2009 19:55

Bimmelzerbott
Didn't the Stones play stadiums (or at least one) in Singapore on their 1965 tour?

If they did, it would have been a small one. Not uncommon for acts to play very small stadiums if there's no suitable indoor arena. However, my point was that they weren't doing it regularly. The stadiums on the 1973 Aussie tour were generally a lot smaller than what they played when they toured there in 1995 when they were playing the likes of the MCG.

In 1964 on their first US tour the Stones sold 500 tickets for a show in a 15,000 capacity arena in Omaha. Whilst their demand was a lot greater from their 2nd US tour in late 64 onwards and especially when they returned in 1965, they wouldnt have been able to fill stadiums.

they probably could have done from 1969 onwards but apart from the occasional show, they didnt choose to regularly play stadiums in North America until 1975.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 7, 2009 21:42

Gazza
HEILOOBAAS

The best book on rock music ever published.

I found it in a discount bin in hardback at University of Washington Bookstore over ten years ago for summink like $5.00.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 7, 2009 23:06

For all the best Beatles d/ls in FLAC morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot CAN"T be beat! Elvis played Hawaii March 25,1961 at the Bloch Arena benefit concert for Memorial Fund. Theres a rough sb available but its pretty good considering how rare it is!

Date: January 7, 2009 23:15

That Elvis show was actually released officially. Its on the "Elvis Aron Presley" 8 LP boxed set of unreleased material that came out around 1981.

It's a bit rough technically as you say, but still good to listen to and the performance is excellent (especially 'Reconsider Baby'). He also did a benefit show in Memphis around that time. Discounting the 3 song appearance on the Sinatra TV special when he left the army in 1960 and the NBC TV special in 1968, these were his only actual concerts between 1957 and his return to live appearances in Las vegas in 1969. He didnt go on the road again until September 1970, though.

As far as I recall, the only stadium shows Elvis ever played in that time were 4 shows at the Houston Astrodome in 1970 and the show at the Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan on New Years Eve, 1975. Which were all actually indoors. There's a few outdoor appearances back in '56 though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 23:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 7, 2009 23:22

tatters
Yes, and they were the last until CSNY with Joni Mitchell opening toured stadiums in 1974.

was that before Dylan's '74 tour with The Band? I guess CSNY was probably a bigger draw at that point...

Date: January 7, 2009 23:30

No..Dylan's tour was January-February 1974. It was an arena tour.

Demand for tickets on that Dylan tour (his first in 8 years) was way in excess of what was available for the 40 or so shows they played

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 23:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 7, 2009 23:34

Thats cool,Gazza! I have the 61 Elvis on a "Hot Stuff" label cdr(probably sourced from the box set?) Anyway, The King is in rare form and really puts on a show!Plus its got Scotty and DJ Fontana on it.

Date: January 8, 2009 00:53

Big Al

The Beatles performing in stadiums in the States in '65 was a necessity: they really were that much a phenomenon.

Oddly enough, the '66 stadium tour dates didn't sell out. 10,000 empty seats at Shea Stadium, Aug. 23, 1966. Intact, unused '66 Beatles concert tickets are quite common.

Date: January 8, 2009 10:32

tatters

Oddly enough, the '66 stadium tour dates didn't sell out. 10,000 empty seats at Shea Stadium, Aug. 23, 1966. Intact, unused '66 Beatles concert tickets are quite common.

That was a consequence of the Lennon "wer'e bigger than Jesus" comments. If there wasn't the outrage, then surely they'd all have sold out

Date: January 8, 2009 16:36

Big Al
tatters

That was a consequence of the Lennon "wer'e bigger than Jesus" comments. If there wasn't the outrage, then surely they'd all have sold out

I don't think so. The Lennon thing may have cost them a FEW bucks in ticket sales, but, believe it or not, in 1966 there WAS a sense that people were starting to get a little bit bored with the Beatles, or at least, with the novelty of going to see them play for 25 minutes, running through She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand (songs that seemed ancient even in '66) and nine or ten others at breakneck speed in a baseball stadium. Of course, it helps to remember that at the time, no one knew they'd never get another chance to see the Beatles. It was just sort of assumed that they'd always be around, and that you could catch them next time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 16:37 by tatters.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 8, 2009 17:07

>> the crowd were very often kept off the pitch too <<

were there Beatles stadium shows where the crowd *weren't* kept off the pitch?
there was no pitch seating (or standing) at the one i was at, and it was definitely not a worthwhile concert experience.
(i saw them in an arena too, though, so ... so lucky me, eh :E )

Date: January 8, 2009 18:04

I see your point tatters.

Still, I think The Stones popularity was on the wane at that time as well. Chart positions were certainly on the slide from 1966-1967.

sssoul saw the Beatles live?? Thats about the most impressive thing I've read here in a long time! smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home