Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Lou Reed to re-release "worst album of all time"
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 19:39

MMM and Dirty Work are both far better than anything ever by Bon Jovi smiling smiley

Actually i agree with the guy who says its not any different from a lot of other industrial music, it even sounds rather lame compared to a lot of techno i have heard in subsequent years. Also the quotes from Lou himself are outnumbered by a hundred more where he claims its a great piece of art,then again he's not the most reliable interviewee in the world LOL!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 21, 2010 19:43

Silver Dagger
andy js
I quite like it to be honest. MMM is no different to a lot of the experimental/noise stuff I listen to every day of the week

D'you work in a machinery plant by any chance?

Sadly no. But I do have a LOVE of very abstract/experimental noise/drone etc

It floats my boat as much as any traditional rock n roll

My ears are open to most forms of music. But not Mick's solo shit obviously

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2010 19:54

?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:13

I shouldn't say this but I ALREADY own the MMM cd... I found it in the "bargain" bin about 20 years ago.
Did I ever listened to it? Errrr no...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 21, 2010 23:23

dcba
I shouldn't say this but I ALREADY own the MMM cd... I found it in the "bargain" bin about 20 years ago.
Did I ever listened to it? Errrr no...

Funnily enough, I found an original mint vinyl copy second hand for £1.50 in 1988. I bought it and put it on. It was - urm - unlistenable. I think I gave it five minutes a side and never oplayed it again. I still have it.

Irrespective of Lou's revisionism (right down to his current tour, where he's doing nothing but making 'deep noise'), I think the 'album' was originally a speedfreak 'joke' at the expense of both his new fans and record company. The fact that the album has since proved influential has made Lou reappraise it.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 22, 2010 00:24

Come On
It's just the original LP-pressing that's intressting with this album, in mint-condition...I have listened One time to it. Who buys it on re-releases on CD?

sad smiley

Well, me for one. Have it on vinyl and CD. Do I listen very often? No. Do I like it when I do? Yes.

Date: April 22, 2010 00:32

Imho MMM suffers from the same problem as Frank Zappa's entire career : in short "too dumb for the high-brow, too smart for the low-brow". It's not rock music but at the same time it fails to rank among contemporary music which is planned organized and written. Lou's theorical posture was "hey, why not let that guitar feedback".

A bit thin to shadow Stockhausen >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 22, 2010 04:20

alright LOU!! and always keep that genius head held high....
believe it or not i dug it when it first came around. thought it hyserical, arrogant, it's own operatic statement in it's way etc.... ha. dug it, honest. did NOT get tons of play tho...haww...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 22, 2010 17:16

R
Silver Dagger
Self indulgent crap. What's amazing is that RCA even released it.

On their classical Red label to boot!

I had (still have) a promo of that album. It was the perfect soundtrack when I came home late and drunk with the 'spins.'

no-- maybe the promo mentions the Red Seal label, but they didn't go through with that workaround, and the official album is on the standard RCA label (tan dynaflex).

Date: April 22, 2010 22:13

cc
R
Silver Dagger
Self indulgent crap. What's amazing is that RCA even released it.

On their classical Red label to boot!

I had (still have) a promo of that album. It was the perfect soundtrack when I came home late and drunk with the 'spins.'

no-- maybe the promo mentions the Red Seal label, but they didn't go through with that workaround, and the official album is on the standard RCA label (tan dynaflex).

True that. My copy is on the standard label.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 1, 2010 15:36

DVD Audio version is mailed today.
Fantastic.
It is a great relief for stress of me and my dog.
The musical range of MMM is greater than the Scottish bagpipes.tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 1, 2010 22:34

I saw Lou perform this album in Oslo last monday, and to be honest, it´s one of the worst shows I´ve ever seen, maybe only surpassed by Dan Reed Network in 1990...

Everyone was handed earplugs when arriving the venue, and we were met with hiss. And that´s what the show was about; analogue hiss, digital hiss, guitar hiss and saxophone hiss. Bloody awful, imo.

AND: I really gave it a shot for the first 15 minutes smiling smiley

Date: May 1, 2010 23:49

He's touring the entire Europe with MMM. Maybe we could start a class action against him?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 2, 2010 00:23

DandelionPowderman

Everyone was handed earplugs when arriving the venue, and we were met with hiss. And that´s what the show was about; analogue hiss, digital hiss, guitar hiss and saxophone hiss.

Isn't it enough that Lou graced you with his presence?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 2, 2010 01:34

have you ever been to a similar show? Noise is an acquired taste, but it's a whole genre of music.

Date: May 2, 2010 09:22

DandelionPowderman
I saw Lou perform this album in Oslo last monday, and to be honest, it´s one of the worst shows I´ve ever seen, maybe only surpassed by Dan Reed Network in 1990...

Everyone was handed earplugs when arriving the venue, and we were met with hiss. And that´s what the show was about; analogue hiss, digital hiss, guitar hiss and saxophone hiss. Bloody awful, imo.

AND: I really gave it a shot for the first 15 minutes smiling smiley

Saw this at the Royal Festival Hall. Weird show. I knew what to expect. I had the Zeitkratzer CD of MMM. A chunk of the audience (a good third or more) didn't. They started walking out practically from the first note/drone. Plenty of booing at the end too.

I wouldn't go again, but it wasn't too bad. There was a mellow stretch in the middle which was great (maybe in context). It was, if anything, the closest Lou has come to playing free jazz live. He's a big Ornette Coleman fan, and it shows.

A friend of mine saw him in Paris. Said it sucked.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 2, 2010 16:10

Nikolai
I knew what to expect. I had the Zeitkratzer CD of MMM. A chunk of the audience (a good third or more) didn't. They started walking out practically from the first note/drone. Plenty of booing at the end too.

What were they expecting? Walk On The Wild Side? Didn't the advertisements clearly state that Lou would not be performing any songs?

Date: May 2, 2010 16:51

<There was a mellow stretch in the middle which was great (maybe in context).>

I second that. The middle section wasn´t too bad.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 3, 2010 00:50

ROCKMAN

Date: May 3, 2010 01:26

I think it's funny that Bobby Gillespie and Nick Cave were "tapping their toes". No way they could have left.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 3, 2010 02:16

Nikolai
Saw this at the Royal Festival Hall. Weird show. I knew what to expect. I had the Zeitkratzer CD of MMM. A chunk of the audience (a good third or more) didn't. They started walking out practically from the first note/drone. Plenty of booing at the end too.

The sheer utter fuckwittery of the general public never ceases to amaze me.

They paid, what, 40-50 odd quid to see and hear a show where it was clearly advertised as Metal Machine Music, an album widely acknowledged as being utterly unlistenable, and then took umbrage because he went ahead and actually played it?

They deserve all they get. Morons.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 3, 2010 03:30

cc
have you ever been to a similar show? Noise is an acquired taste, but it's a whole genre of music.

Agreed mate, its not for everyone but after a while amid all the chaos a sort of dark beauty emerges. I can imagine most old farts not even giving it a chance obviously, because they're stuck in their old ways. And thats fine, someones got to still listen to Dire Straits

But for me, you can't beat a bit of old noise/drone every now and again

I might even dig out Merzbox this week smileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 3, 2010 09:10

rebelrebel
Come On
It's just the original LP-pressing that's intressting with this album, in mint-condition...I have listened One time to it. Who buys it on re-releases on CD?

sad smiley

Well, me for one. Have it on vinyl and CD. Do I listen very often? No. Do I like it when I do? Yes.

I have two other records I can recommend for you rebelrebel that you gonna love: Frank Zappas 'Francesco Zappa' and George Harrisons 'Electronic Sounds'..grinning smiley

Date: May 3, 2010 10:59

andy js
cc

Agreed mate, its not for everyone but after a while amid all the chaos a sort of dark beauty emerges. I can imagine most old farts not even giving it a chance obviously, because they're stuck in their old ways. And thats fine, someones got to still listen to Dire Straits

But for me, you can't beat a bit of old noise/drone every now and again

I might even dig out Merzbox this week smileys with beer

I hear you, Andy. The middle part of the show had plenty of the 'dark beauty' you describe. Almost mellow. But then I'm a big Einsturzende Neubauten fan ...

Date: May 3, 2010 11:02

Come On
rebelrebel
Come On

sad smiley

I have two other records I can recommend for you rebelrebel that you gonna love: Frank Zappas 'Francesco Zappa' and George Harrisons 'Electronic Sounds'..grinning smiley

Francesco Zappa's great. Good pick. How does Electronic Sounds rank alongside Two Virgins? I thought the latter sounded amateurish.

Date: May 3, 2010 11:05

tatters
Nikolai
I knew what to expect. I had the Zeitkratzer CD of MMM. A chunk of the audience (a good third or more) didn't. They started walking out practically from the first note/drone. Plenty of booing at the end too.

What were they expecting? Walk On The Wild Side? Didn't the advertisements clearly state that Lou would not be performing any songs?

Tell me about it. The Royal Festival Hall seems to attract that type of complete twat.

Date: May 3, 2010 13:38

<They deserve all they get. Morons.>

LOL! Guess I did. But in all fairness, I got an offer of remarkably cheap Lou Reed-tickets, and someone "forgot" to mention the MMM-stuff smiling smiley

I had three days or so to get rid off the tickets, but decided to go after all. Never heard the record, but read me up on the story of the album, and gave it a shot. Went in openminded. Went out horrified, and imo, entitled to be as well drinking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 3, 2010 18:21

Gazza
Nikolai

They paid, what, 40-50 odd quid to see and hear a show where it was clearly advertised as Metal Machine Music, an album widely acknowledged as being utterly unlistenable, and then took umbrage because he went ahead and actually played it?

shades of dylan fans walking out on dylan "born again" shows in 1980 despite common knowledge of what he was doing. i remember while going into the gig at Portland's paramount theater - some guy was strumming along to old dylan chestnuts and pleading with patrons not to go in.....

Date: May 3, 2010 18:41

DandelionPowderman
<They deserve all they get. Morons.>

LOL! Guess I did. But in all fairness, I got an offer of remarkably cheap Lou Reed-tickets, and someone "forgot" to mention the MMM-stuff smiling smiley

I had three days or so to get rid off the tickets, but decided to go after all. Never heard the record, but read me up on the story of the album, and gave it a shot. Went in openminded. Went out horrified, and imo, entitled to be as well drinking smiley

Didja boooooooooooooooooooo Loooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 3, 2010 19:39

StonesTod
Gazza
Nikolai

shades of dylan fans walking out on dylan "born again" shows in 1980 despite common knowledge of what he was doing. i remember while going into the gig at Portland's paramount theater - some guy was strumming along to old dylan chestnuts and pleading with patrons not to go in.....

Absolutely, although in the age of the internet and with more information at everyone's fingertips, there's even less excuse now.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home